- - - - -

(DEAD) Buy ANY 'Electronics Section' Item GET A FREE $100GC W/PS3 Console Purchase

#61 Vader582   Dark Lord of Savings CAGiversary!   3048 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

Not really sure what I would spend the giftcards on since Target is normally nothing but an MSRP fest at the location here, I really dont shop there for anything else. I'll wait and see what K-Mart's deal is on June 5th, since I have alot of points and such to use there. Thanks for the info however OP.

Yeah the $100 GC is good if you have a good clearance-stocked Target or buy disposable diapers etc.

ChunLiBarbie, not sure if it's possible, but you might consider getting your money back for the extra warranty. The failure rate on the PS3 is nowhere near the 360 rate. And like IATCG said, it'll be a bear to deal with anyway if you actually had to use it. I have a 60GB BC PS3 and (knock on wood) haven't had any issues. You'd be better off buying a cheaper game instead, imho.

#62 spoderman  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

If you don't care about used versus new, you could go to Blockbuster and pick up Marley & Me and 4 other Blu-Rays for $20 right now with their 5/$20 dealie.;)

Sony's own warranty is $45 for one year and $60-ish for two years. If the in-store warranty is anything like the ones I've looked into before, then be prepared to fight for a straight up repair of your current console versus getting back someone's junk system.

Although that could also happen when sending in your system to Sony for repairs in-warranty, but it's more likely with a third party one.

I've never been able to have my consoles repaired by Sony or Nintendo, they've always refused whenever I asked and said the only option would be for them to send a refurbished unit. I'm not sure what the differences are between the in-store warranty and Sony's warranty but I'd say it's likely you'd get a refurb in either case.

#63 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

Use a credit card that doubles the warranty, at least that way you are bashing heads with a company over a warranty that you didn't actually have to pay for. That's the one good thing about buying stuff like this instore (where you have to pay tax). I've yet to find a CC that doubles the warranty when you buy stuff from amazon.

You mean like the Sony card from Capital One? I applied for and was approved for that a while ago, but since I have no real credit score to speak of my interest rate is 24.5%.:shock: I paid for a $5 n change purchase at Kmart with it last night and you better believe that whole balance is being paid off soon as I can. Only reason I even bothered trying for it was they're supposed to give you a $100 credit after your first purchase.;)

I've never been able to have my consoles repaired by Sony or Nintendo, they've always refused whenever I asked and said the only option would be for them to send a refurbished unit. I'm not sure what the differences are between the in-store warranty and Sony's warranty but I'd say it's likely you'd get a refurb in either case.

I had my 40gb PS3 sent into Sony for repairs right at the end of its one year warranty. The only reason I really sent it in was to get the 90 day repair warranty extension.:D

Although I was also kinda worried why it was taking a bit for games to pop up on the XMB after putting a disc in, but I later on found out I could've fixed that by doing the File Restore option on the PS3's safe mode menu.:bomb:

#64 DOMINATOR912   RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE CAGiversary!   1608 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

DOMINATOR912

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

So if the coupon expires on 6/18 you could potentially hold out until after E3 and combine it with the new rumored price. $199 + $100 GC.....interesting.

#65 Pere   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   19 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

For those wondering what to do with $160 in giftcards, you can always use them to buy a prepaid visa card that you can use anywhere.

#66 Yars   I'd buy that for a dollar! CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

Just got back from Target. I picked up two movies. The first one didn't give any coupons at all, but like others have said in this thread, The 40 Year Old Virgin Blu-Ray did.

OP, you're my hero. :D

#67 warfare360   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   56 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

warfare360

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

I bought 2 dvd`s and a clearance ps3 game, it didn't print, so I went and bought the final fantasy 7 blu ray, I figured you couldn't get any more sony than that and it printed. I also checked the back of the blu ray to make sure it was made by sony and saw the Sony make.believe logo, hope this helps someone.

#68 DOMINATOR912   RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE CAGiversary!   1608 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

DOMINATOR912

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hm, so it looks like Sony Blurays are the trigger. To people that have had it print with $5 DVDs, which ones did you get?

#69 Zachbeast   I want a range life CAGiversary!   214 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

I purchased The Fantastic Mr. Fox Blu-Ray for $9.99 and received the coupon.

#70 stickyfeet   Don't panic! CAGiversary!   317 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

stickyfeet

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

You mean like the Sony card from Capital One? I applied for and was approved for that a while ago, but since I have no real credit score to speak of my interest rate is 24.5%.:shock: I paid for a $5 n change purchase at Kmart with it last night and you better believe that whole balance is being paid off soon as I can. Only reason I even bothered trying for it was they're supposed to give you a $100 credit after your first purchase.;)

I had my 40gb PS3 sent into Sony for repairs right at the end of its one year warranty. The only reason I really sent it in was to get the 90 day repair warranty extension.:D

Although I was also kinda worried why it was taking a bit for games to pop up on the XMB after putting a disc in, but I later on found out I could've fixed that by doing the File Restore option on the PS3's safe mode menu.:bomb:

I bought an original ipad when they went on clearance, I spoke directly to the manager, and was told targets warranty is it breaks bring it to the store with your papers and even exchange, even if its newer model. I told him, you know the ipad is going to break in a few months, and he told me I would expect it would, and you get an ipad 2. I would say ymmv witj other managers.

#71 Yars   I'd buy that for a dollar! CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Hm, so it looks like Sony Blurays are the trigger.

The other Blu-Ray I picked up was Knocked Up, which was the one that didn't give a coupon. Both movies were Universal films.

#72 airwalke   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   153 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

airwalke

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

Got it to print, bought 40 Year Old Virgin on Blu ray like others suggested. Nice. :)

#73 warfare360   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   56 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

warfare360

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

The dvd`s I bought were blazing saddles and Super troopers, both were 5 dollars.

#74 Darthstryk3R   Sith Happens!! CAGiversary!   1079 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Darthstryk3R

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

No luck with 40 year old virgin

#75 ChunLiBarbie   Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

ChunLiBarbie

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

Yeah the $100 GC is good if you have a good clearance-stocked Target or buy disposable diapers etc.

ChunLiBarbie, not sure if it's possible, but you might consider getting your money back for the extra warranty. The failure rate on the PS3 is nowhere near the 360 rate. And like IATCG said, it'll be a bear to deal with anyway if you actually had to use it. I have a 60GB BC PS3 and (knock on wood) haven't had any issues. You'd be better off buying a cheaper game instead, imho.

Hiya! Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm going to keep it so I'm comfortable. :D

For those wondering what to do with $160 in giftcards, you can always use them to buy a prepaid visa card that you can use anywhere.

OMG! I was going to give the $60 card as a gift, but your idea is GREAT!!!!!:applause: THANKS!!!!!!! I will try that!:D

#76 Vader582   Dark Lord of Savings CAGiversary!   3048 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hiya! Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm going to keep it so I'm comfortable. :D

Perfectly understandable. I did the same (for the same reasons) with my 60GB PS3 and never used it.:D

#77 ChunLiBarbie   Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

ChunLiBarbie

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

Just got back from Target. I picked up two movies. The first one didn't give any coupons at all, but like others have said in this thread, The 40 Year Old Virgin Blu-Ray did.

OP, you're my hero. :D

YAY!!!!:D Thanks to "JoeyShadows" on here for mentioning it! I'm just a 'loud mouth(lol)' who made a thread about it so more people could get in on this AMAAAAAAZINGGGGG DEAL!!!!!! :D:applause:

#78 DOMINATOR912   RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE CAGiversary!   1608 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

DOMINATOR912

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

I officially nominate the OP for the CAG Rookie of the Year award.

#79 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

FYI: Many stores will not let you use one gift card to buy another, so buying a pre-paid Visa with the gc's from this deal is likely a huge YMMV.

Moreover, the prepaid cards require an activation fee, which can be up to $10 sometimes.

#80 ChunLiBarbie   Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

ChunLiBarbie

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

I officially nominate the OP for the CAG Rookie of the Year award.

LOL! Thank you! :D

#81 SamuraiINC   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

SamuraiINC

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Just got the coupon was worried at first... Thought it was a long shot but it worked on Pirates of the Carribean blu ray for me. What are the chances of getting both gift cards if I were to puchase a ps3 later in the day? I read in the back of the coupon "Cannot be combined with other promotions"? Hope it works my ps3 just died last week when i got L. A. Noire it was a launch console :( Thanks ChunLiBarbie I too nominate you.

#82 morbitrius   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   73 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

morbitrius

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

Just got back from Target and got the coupon. I picked up 40 Year Old Virgin on blu-ray for $9.99 and took it to the registers at the front of the store. When the associate scanned it in, the coupon printed BEFORE the transaction was tendered and paid for. Thanks to the OP for this great deal!

Now, do I pick up the PS3 this week and combine the $100 with the $60 promo or wait until E3 to see if a price drop/new bundle is announced?

#83 Yars   I'd buy that for a dollar! CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

What are the chances of getting both gift cards if I were to puchase a ps3 later in the day? I read in the back of the coupon "Cannot be combined with other promotions"?

I asked the guy in the electronics dept. and he read all the fine print and then said "It couldn't hurt to try." He scanned the coupon and the register automatically processed both a $100 & $60 GC without any hassle.

Now, do I pick up the PS3 this week and combine the $100 with the $60 promo or wait until E3 to see if a price drop/new bundle is announced?

It may become difficult to find a PS3 once the official price drop hits and system sales spike, but it shouldn't be impossible by any means. Sony may only drop the price $50 and at that point the $60 GC will be long gone, but you'll also be paying less tax if you're willing to wait. I'd say wait it out.

#84 airwalke   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   153 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

airwalke

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

Combining it should work. As soon as the PS3 is scanned it prompts us to activate a gift card. Same thing goes for when we scan the coupon. Target won't disable the coupon for the duration of the sale unless they want a shit storm of angry customers headed their way.

#85 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

I asked the guy in the electronics dept. and he read all the fine print and then said "It couldn't hurt to try." He scanned the coupon and the register automatically processed both a $100 & $60 GC without any hassle.

But if anything I'd say to do the transaction SOON if you wanted to get BOTH gift cards, as I have a feeling they may block one of them from coming up soon enough if they realize the promos are stacking.:D

#86 Barkwhip   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   93 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Barkwhip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the information guys. I'm going to head out after lunch and try to get myself a coupon.

I'm not sure if I should take a risk in waiting until after E3 or not.

#87 K_G   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1027 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

So if the coupon expires on 6/18 you could potentially hold out until after E3 and combine it with the new rumored price. $199 + $100 GC.....interesting.

Just because a few people have guessed it might be $100 price drop doesn't mean it will be...historically, after they get to the $300 price point, most console price drops have been in $50 increments.

Likewise, given all the problems with PSN, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony waited a month or two for PSN to be up and running before dropping the price....Dropping the price when you are getting a ton of negative press is a bad sign for brand image...sure you work some deals to move some stuff but permanently cutting the price during a period of bad news signals to consumers that the bad press is true/it is worth less because of the problems, because they wouldn't be cutting the price if it wasn't (never mind that that this usual time of the year for possible price cuts). But that said, MS might force Sony's hand...MS has often been the aggressor with price cuts and their press conference is before Sony's this year. I guess we'll find out on 6/6.

And similarly, you assume you'll be buy one after the price cut (if it happens). Target usually doesn't keep too much video game hardware in stock in stores at any given time. If Target keeps pumping out these coupons, PS3s might be hard to find in stock.

#88 AgentW   Ate a sandwich. CAGiversary!   459 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

if the coupon works with any ps3s, if you wait two weeks or so, a BlOps bundle is coming out. if you're into that kinda thing, so comes with a game and then that gc.

#89 sawyerbrwnfan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

sawyerbrwnfan

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Went to a target in Las Vegas and bought Marley and Me blu and the new Brad Paisley CD (yes i still buy CDs) and got a coupon. So tempted to get one now.

#90 caMOFOg   Where you at mang? CAGiversary!   243 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

I bought The 40 Year Old Virgin for $10 on Blu Ray and the coupon printed at one of the front registers.

Mad props to you my friend! I bought the 40 year old virgin blu ray at the front counter and the coupon printed! Used the $100 coupon to buy the last 160GB PS3 and got the $100 GC and $60 GC!!! I was only charged tax on 139.99 instead of 299.99 not sure why. $150 for a 160GB PS3!!! ;)