Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Nintendo DS) - $15.99 at Amazon

[quote name='Mike UFC']Now if they'd only reprint Trials and Tribulations.[/QUOTE]

THIS. I really don't want to have to spend $30+ on a used DS game.

Holy crap!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/23/audition-director-takashi-miike-making-ace-attorney-movie/
Audition director Takashi Miike making Ace Attorney movie

Speaking to reporters during the Cannes film festival, director Takashi Miike (Audition, Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai, and a million other things) announced his next film: "It is a very light comedy that I am filming now," as the Huffington Post quotes him, "a court drama, based on a video game, the Nintendo game DS." Warning: that Huffington Post interview is pretty much entirely about ritual suicide except for that brief quote.

HOLD IT! If we're reading this correctly, that means a high-profile, acclaimed film director is adapting the Ace Attorney series from the dual screens to the big screen. This is the best news ever for fans of overblown, overdressed arguments.

This isn't Miike's first game adaptation about people in brightly colored suits. In 2007, Miike directed a live-action film based on Yakuza.

Takeshi Miike without fetus-throwing levels of over-the-top gore just doesn't seem right to me.

Just bought a DS the other day so I went ahead and bit on this. Been hearing nothing but good things about these games for the past 5 years so hopefully it can live up to my expectations :D

[quote name='Skizye']Just bought a DS the other day so I went ahead and bit on this. Been hearing nothing but good things about these games for the past 5 years so hopefully it can live up to my expectations :D[/QUOTE]
A few other great games that are kinda similar are 999 and Hotel Dusk.

Get those. Now.

[quote name='juanawoman']A few other great games that are kinda similar are 999 and Hotel Dusk.

Get those. Now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on grabbing 999 whenever it goes on sale for less than $20 and I just checked out Hotel Dusk and it looks pretty interesting, that will probably be my next purchase if I wind up liking Ace Attorney.

[quote name='sneakysnake128']THIS. I really don't want to have to spend $30+ on a used DS game.[/QUOTE]

I'll sell you mine for 30! :lol:

[quote name='sneakysnake128']THIS. I really don't want to have to spend $30+ on a used DS game.[/QUOTE]

They will... right after you buy a used copy for $30.

I'm debating about this game. I couldn't get into Hotel Dusk, but I don't mind playing through a good (or silly) story-based game. Currently loving LA Noire, but can anyone else recommend this game for his first jump into the franchise?

[quote name='nflsonic']I'm debating about this game. I couldn't get into Hotel Dusk, but I don't mind playing through a good (or silly) story-based game. Currently loving LA Noire, but can anyone else recommend this game for his first jump into the franchise?[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Hotel Dusk personally. I don't think the Phoenix Wright series is that similar to it though. They share some things, like navigating around and trying to find clues but that's about it.

The Wright series is more focused on text based gameplay. You go to various people ask them a series of questions, present them with clues/evidence you found, then that usually leads to going to another location and asking questions to other people, and ultimately it ends up in a drawn out court case with more text based gameplay. That might not be the most interesting description of the game though. It's very quirky and the dialogue is quite funny, if not ridiculous at times. That's where the charm is for me personally.

I think the best thing to do is watch a few gameplay videos and see if it's your thing.

bread's done
Back