- - - - -

The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

#7681 orangecrush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   561 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

orangecrush

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

You mean at the beginning of the month OC?

I'll grab a flyer when I stop in today and double check, but I think it starts the 31st

#7682 killercane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   408 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

killercane

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'll grab a flyer when I stop in today and double check, but I think it starts the 31st

You want me to buy you a calendar OC? Lol.

#7683 orangecrush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   561 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

orangecrush

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

You want me to buy you a calendar OC? Lol.

No, just continue to correct any mistakes I make here.

#7684 haywire69   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   160 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

haywire69

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Any word on a supposed Labor Day sale?

#7685 irishsoccermbw   User was banned for this post CAGiversary!   6150 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

irishsoccermbw

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just let this thread fade into the darkness...

#7686 smashngrab77   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   423 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

smashngrab77

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

This thread has nine lives I swear. HB if you still monitor these posts. I hope things are doing well for you and your family.
NEW LOWBALL AUCTION LIVE 1/9/13 THROUGH 1/13/13 OVER 150 ITEMS TAKE A LOOK!!!http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=316289

#7687 Jesse757x   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   444 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Any word on a supposed Labor Day sale?

Their Facebook page says "Get 50% off all previously viewed movies, plus save 75% on framed art and posters!" 8/28-9/3

#7688 xDerekRx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1268 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Just let this thread fade into the darkness...

Let it fade into our hearts and memories...

#7689 JaylisJayP   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4485 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Let it fade into our hearts and memories...

#7690 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

When I think of all of the games I've picked up at the various sales versus the level of sucktitude that was that last sale that equaled out to a B1G1 50% sale I get sad.

Although if Dish had not bought out the remnants of Blockbuster, then this thread might be a long forgotten memory by now or at the most we would be talking about how horrible the discounts are at the national liquidation sales as the entire chain gets closed down.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#7691 TheHelix   CAGiversary! Silenced   2842 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheHelix

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:06 AM

blockbuster.com is fail, the games section says Dishonored is available to rent in store but the game was delayed until October lolol

Movie selection for the sale is okay but nothing I want. I did get an Iron Giant poster for $2.69 since I'm a really big fan of the film. And my Madden 13 rental came with an unused online pass, woo hoo!

I'd like to try out Darksiders 2 or P4 Arena before I play Borderlands 2 though.

Edited by TheHelix, 30 August 2012 - 04:20 AM.

#7692 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   2670 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

With the death of this thread (and HWV before it) I find myself on CAG a lot less. It is so much harder to find decent, newish games for ~$5 these days.

#7693 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

I stopped into my nearby BBV on the way home today to check and see if they knew anything about a potential game sale coming up for Labor Day.

The only sale they're having right now is a 50% off pre-owned movies deal for this weekend apparently. But since most of them are $9.99 apiece that means they're $5 each.:roll:

I also noticed that Dish jacked up the formerly $.99 movies(The Informant, Sex & The City 2, etc) to $2 apiece. You can tell they were the former $1 ones cuz of the white stickers over the UPC's on the back.

About the only thing that some of you may want to check out is the 75% off on framed artwork/posters for this weekend.

While there I checked their game selection and honestly there's not much in the way of games that would qualify for the old BOGO's or even that 3/$15 or 5/$25 like they had last fall. Not to mention Dish must not pay any attention to gaming news, since pre-owned copies of Uncharted 3 were still marked $29.99.:lol:

Not only that but they had ZERO copies of most of the newer releases. Although, as expected they had almost a full row of fuckin' Madden.:roll: Oh and it's $2.99 for the first night with some 'blue carpet' rental bs I guess they're promoting now.:-#

Oh well. RIP Blockbuster. And Dish can suck the big one as far as I'm concerned.

Posted Image

#7694 TheHelix   CAGiversary! Silenced   2842 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheHelix

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

it's $2.99 for the first night with some 'blue carpet' rental bs I guess they're promoting now.:-#.

Combo pass ftw

Well until my local BBV closes down lol

#7695 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:30 AM

Combo pass ftw

Well until my local BBV closes down lol

That's great if you rent stuff regularly. But there's not many games or movies I really want to play or watch nowadays that I don't just wait until they hit their absolute lowest price I've seen and then pick them up.

If I've gone to even Redbox and rented a movie more than 3x since they really got wide distribution(and they're oversaturated around here imo), then it's a miracle.:D

Posted Image

#7696 PhilsUtley26   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   399 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

PhilsUtley26

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

Combo pass is nice, but they only get 3-4 copies of each game. By the time I get off work all copies are gone which nobody returns till month later. I'm stuck with Gamefly playing old games as I never get new releases.

#7697 TheHelix   CAGiversary! Silenced   2842 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheHelix

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

That's great if you rent stuff regularly. But there's not many games or movies I really want to play or watch nowadays that I don't just wait until they hit their absolute lowest price I've seen and then pick them up.

If I've gone to even Redbox and rented a movie more than 3x since they really got wide distribution(and they're oversaturated around here imo), then it's a miracle.:D

I must be really lucky then. I've been able to rent Spec Ops: The Line, Sleeping Dogs, Transformers FOC, and currently Madden 13 over the last month. I don't mind waiting it out for a copy since it usually takes me a week or two to get through a game.

#7698 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

I honestly only have a passing interest in either TF: FOC or Sleeping Dogs and most of the rest of the stuff that's come out recently I'd likely wait for a $5-10 price on at BB after @Gamer coupon so at least I own them.

Posted Image

#7699 kanamit   This is the end. My only friend, the end CAGiversary!   2737 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

I honestly only have a passing interest in either TF: FOC or Sleeping Dogs and most of the rest of the stuff that's come out recently I'd likely wait for a $5-10 price on at BB after @Gamer coupon so at least I own them.

I can't figure out why it's so important for you to own the games because from what I see you usually trade them in anyway. Sure it's nice if you can make a buck or two but in the end most games are rentals if you end up trading them in. One month when I was off work I rented 25 games in 30 days from Blockbuster with the $15 Pass, and yes I finished a majority of them ;). Would I have rather owned a few of them instead of rushing through? Sure, but i couldnt argue with the price and value of it.

#7700 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

At least if I own them then I can go through them on my own time schedule. But you're right, I do trade in a majority of what I buy, but that's largely only if they have actual value left. If they have zero trade value anywhere then I'll keep them.

Posted Image

#7701 YBX87   CAGiversary! Banned   14405 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

At least if I own them then I can go through them on my own time schedule. But you're right, I do trade in a majority of what I buy, but that's largely only if they have actual value left. If they have zero trade value anywhere then I'll keep them.

you should pass on the new transformers fall of cybertron, the sp is short, it is basically a $10 game.

#7702 TheHelix   CAGiversary! Silenced   2842 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheHelix

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

Who says I can't enjoy the games on my own time with the combo pass? I played Dragon's Dogma for a month before I got another game. Besides I just can only have one out a time. Or get a movie if I'm not in a gaming mood.

Also carne asada fries are delicious.

#7703 howard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   788 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

I was there on Friday. The sale was nothing great. BD's $9.99 and under were 4 for $20 until a few days ago (and before that they were 5 for $20) which during this sale makes them the exact same price. There were a few I saw marked at $6.99 making them $3.50. Saw 4, Max Payne and the Nicholas Cage Bad Lieutenant remake. Sex & The City: It Won't Die aka The Movie was $6.99 or less, I'm forgetting or wiped it from my mind.

I saw no framed art or posters. I didn't pay attention to the DVD's but while walking through the store did notice a season of Weeds and some other tv shows marked at $15 so $7.50 each may not be too bad.

#7704 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

you should pass on the new transformers fall of cybertron, the sp is short, it is basically a $10 game.

After getting the first game at launch and hating it because I ran outta ammo frequently I'm likely going to wait till it's at least a $20 game if not less than that.

Who says I can't enjoy the games on my own time with the combo pass? I played Dragon's Dogma for a month before I got another game. Besides I just can only have one out a time. Or get a movie if I'm not in a gaming mood.

Also carne asada fries are delicious.

Eh. I just don't like renting games. Especially since there's so few games I really want to play nowadays.:-#

Posted Image

#7705 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1762 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

well, my closest store is now closing. I went and found a few things yesterday on the first day of their closing sale, but they are only clearing things out for 2 weeks. Not much worth going back for.

Looking at the store locator, another relatively local store has disappeared, too. I'm not sure how much longer they can hold on.

#7706 Bosamba   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2037 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Here in the southeastern United States we have a supermarket called Publix. A couple of years ago all the local stores received what best can be described as "Bluebox" units. They were renting machines similar to Redboxes but with the name "Blockbuster Express".

For some reason they decided to put all of these machines inside the stores, so if you wanted to return/rent movies it could only be done during the store's operating hours. They also charged more than Redbox, especially on Blu Rays, and did not carry video games.

I received an email stating that the machine I've been frequenting will be removed permanently in a week. If Blockbuster can't sustain self operating machines, then I think it's time to ring the death toll.

Spoiler

:grouphug:

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#7707 klimb22   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2465 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Here in the southeastern United States we have a supermarket called Publix. A couple of years ago all the local stores received what best can be described as "Bluebox" units. They were renting machines similar to Redboxes but with the name "Blockbuster Express".

For some reason they decided to put all of these machines inside the stores, so if you wanted to return/rent movies it could only be done during the store's operating hours. They also charged more than Redbox, especially on Blu Rays, and did not carry video games.

I received an email stating that the machine I've been frequenting will be removed permanently in a week. If Blockbuster can't sustain self operating machines, then I think it's time to ring the death toll.

Spoiler

Sounds like you missed out on this news from earlier this year: http://news.cnet.com...buster-express/

#7708 DJP519   Ready for a Vacation CAGiversary!   1296 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, those "Blockbuster Express" machines aren't owned by Blockbuster/Dish, it was just a licensing deal to use the "Blockbuster" name on them.

#7709 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5164 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Blockbuster video was the Walmart of the movie industry?! I never made the connection until now.

Guess all the mom and pop stores had closed up in my area about 20 years ago. There was only Blockbuster video stores near me, unless you want to count the video rental section of grocery store as a mom and pop store. Those were the closest non-Blockbuster video store that I knew about.

#7710 io   ... Super Moderators   24112 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:27 AM

So, Blockbuster (B&M stores that is) found a way to screw me over from the grave.

You remember that big clerarance sale they had 1-2 years back, with controllers and headsets and points cards 90% off? Well, I got one of those PS3 Lava Glow controllers. I finally, just today, opened it up since I've been trading my Dual Shock 3's in to Gamestop ($42 each using the preorder promo which I'm using on a couple of Wii U games I'd buy from them anyway). I thought my 4 year-old could use the Lava Glow instead of the old DS3 that is starting to show its age.

Well, I realized the damn thing was not sealed and while the controller is in there and looks brand new, the receiver (dongle) is missing. Fuck! So now I guess I have a pretty $3 paperweight (it has blue liquid in the handles and such) to give my 2 year-old to pretend to play along with her older brothers ;). The waste of $3 doesn't bother me, but that means I probably can't trade a second DS3 in for $42 at GS since I don't have a replacement for it like I had thought.

In other news, that Blockbuster online thing (the 6 free months glitch) is working out decently enough. I have yet to get a game from it, but I've gotten a few DVDs that Netflix doesn't have so that has been nice. I haven't even bothered with the store exchange option and I don't even know if the last few remaining stores in my metro area are even open any more. I haven't been to a BBV in 6 months or more.

Sorry to anyone who read this thread thinking maybe there was some BBV game sale news. Please go back to ignoring Blockbuster!