New lowball auction sub-forum.

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
With the popularity of lowball auctions on CAG, it seemed like a logical step to set up a sub-forum for all of the lowball auctions we have.

New sub-forum:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98

It'll keep them in one place, so it'll be easy to see what is a lowball and what isn't a lowball, plus it'll allow for the users that don't have lowball auctions to not have concerns that lowball auction threads will push their TL off the first few pages in the Trading Forum. With the number of posts a lowball can have, it's often up on the first few pages due to the bumping of posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish there was an easier way to get to it, I was here almost 7 months before I even knew there were sub-forums.

edit: Strike that, reverse it. I see there are like ten links to it; turns out I'm just an idiot.

Poor timing to implement this with so many lowballs going on. As someone already said, it's not a noticeable section. People go to the trading forums and do not see subforums.

Should have had a day when the lowballs would be moved, not when the mods see it they decide to move it without notice.

[quote name='CD6405']Poor timing to implement this with so many lowballs going on. As someone already said, it's not a noticeable section. People go to the trading forums and do not see subforums.
[/QUOTE]

These days it would be very difficult to find a day when there aren't half a dozen ongoing. This has been a long time coming and is a very good development for lowballs in general.

I kinda agree with CD6405 on this one, Wish I was told first or maybe start it on the day after the last lowball that's currently going on. Would rather be in the trading section instead of a subforum after the trading section. But can't complain because the moderators do a good job with the site and they like to see what fits best with everyone.

Well if they gave a heads up people could plan their lowballs around them. Now people who were planning to bid may just casually browse the trading section and not see them and say screw it. So now I have to make a new thread (tradelist) and bump it three times a day with a link to my lowball.

This is great, I like to browse lowball auctions but normally I would have to sift through tons of trade threads to find them.

You know, it would probably be a huge undertaking but I think auctions would be a nice addition to the CAG marketplace. Then lowballs could be done through the marketplace instead of the forums, and it would be all automated.

thank you. now our 3 bumps in 24 hours will make a difference in stead of 18 lowballs bumping them off the 1st hundred posts in a few minutes.

it's great for the people throwing the lowballs, also, as there are plenty of links to the section. if they waited till all the current lowballs were over, IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN (which is what some of you want, of course).

fantastic job, mods. great news.

i like this idea
now dv8mad or someones need to make an etiquete section for lowballs. for buyers and sellers.

Like no saying something is not worth a certain price.
i hate that in my lowballs

One thing worth mentioning.. I've already seen a couple of people throwing up "placeholder" threads in the sub-forum. This is only going to clutter up the sub-forum, I'd suggest that the only threads allowed should be lowballs which are currently ongoing, about to begin, or have recently ended. A ton of "reserving my spot for a lowball!" or "thinking about having a lowball!" threads are just going to muck things up and make it more difficult for buyers to locate lowballs they might actually be interested in.

[quote name='bvharris']These days it would be very difficult to find a day when there aren't half a dozen ongoing. This has been a long time coming and is a very good development for lowballs in general.[/QUOTE]

Understanding that they are always going on, but if they made a date saying "This is the day we will be opening this forum, please be aware and schedule around it" and give like a week for everyone to realize. Instead, it was just done and now bids are a lot less today than the past. This especially hurts since it's my last day of bids.

[quote name='CD6405']Instead, it was just done and now bids are a lot less today than the past. This especially hurts since it's my last day of bids.[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point. I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to move your endtime back a day or two to let people discover the sub-forum.

I agree with you guys on the point of moving the current lowballs to the sub-forum if people don't know it yet. A little advertise or announcement could help before starting moving.

But I agree in having a sub-forum for it. I mainly participate in lowballs so it is hard for me to go page to page to see what is going on and how many lowballs I'm in and all that. Also, it is not fear for the trading forum sometimes to have like 6 lowballs thread on the first page, also pumping because of course people are bidding.

So it was nice dividing the trading/sell forum, and the lowballs.

Congratz!!! The only negative was why it took so long in doing it.

[quote name='twztid13']thank you. now our 3 bumps in 24 hours will make a difference in stead of 18 lowballs bumping them off the 1st hundred posts in a few minutes.

it's great for the people throwing the lowballs, also, as there are plenty of links to the section. if they waited till all the current lowballs were over, IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN (which is what some of you want, of course).

fantastic job, mods. great news.[/QUOTE]

This.

I understand people having concerns with moving the lowballs on a specific day, and no matter what day it was, it would likely be bad for someone and they would have an issue with that day.

The delay in the issue was having Cheapy make the sub-forum, as he's the only one that can do work like that to the site. As he's on the other side of the planet from me, plus as busy as I am, it took some time to get things worked out that he could take care of it.

The reasons were as I stated, non-lowball users had expressed concerns with lowballs being constantly bumped and moving other threads out of the first few pages of the sites, mixed in with everyone else's threads also competing for the same space.

As we get the rest of them moved over, yes, you'll be able to have a thread in the Trading Forum and a lowball auction in the Lowball sub-forum, though make it a real TL in the Trading Forum and not just a link to your Lowball auction. There's not likely enough lowballs to make the forum more than a few pages deep with "active" lowballs, so I think finding lowballs in the new sub-forum will be much easier than trying to dig through the threads in the main Trading Forum.

[quote name='bvharris']One thing worth mentioning.. I've already seen a couple of people throwing up "placeholder" threads in the sub-forum. This is only going to clutter up the sub-forum, I'd suggest that the only threads allowed should be lowballs which are currently ongoing, about to begin, or have recently ended. A ton of "reserving my spot for a lowball!" or "thinking about having a lowball!" threads are just going to muck things up and make it more difficult for buyers to locate lowballs they might actually be interested in.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't imagine placeholders to be an issue as long as the subforum is sorting with most recent updates first as usual. The non-active lowballs will be pushed down fairly quickly and only move up once the preview is up and/or the lowball has begun.

I'll agree with pretty much everything Shrike has had to say.
I'm sure we can all agree that there is never really a lull in lowballs anymore, so finding a time when everyone would be happy with a move was probably impossible.

Finally, as for the worries about people not seeing them or being able to find them, I honestly don't think it will be an issue. Have you ever known a CAG not to seek out something at a good price? :lol: They'll find the subforum, don't worry!

So what happens when the Lowballs end? Do the threads get deleted or do they stay in the sub-forum where, eventually down the road, we'll have old Lowball threads cluttering up the forum?

[quote name='saetia']So what happens when the Lowballs end? Do the threads get deleted or do they stay in the sub-forum where, eventually down the road, we'll have old Lowball threads cluttering up the forum?[/QUOTE]As long as they're changed with an appropriate title showing that they're done/ended and the thread closed, they won't be moving up the page. From what I remember, the OP of a thread can close their own thread, so the OP should be able to take care of that. They can rename the thread without question, so if they can't close the thread, any mod can take care of that for them.

They could also be deleted, though some people may want to keep their old lowball threads for archival purposes.

bread's done
Back