CAGcast #241: Better with Kinect

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Guess which one of us doesn't like LA Noire? Don't forget to send questions or topics for next week's show via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]150[/podcast]
Download - 92 minutes, 55MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN
Deluxe Hosting for the price of Economy = CAGECO[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro/Outro - Pomp & Circumstance

coming soon or never

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: Terance Trent D'arby - Wishing Well

I'm going to guess Cheapy, since he was the only who seemed like he was getting the game as of last week.

Wait...weren't you people recording tonight? How the hell did you get this up that quick?

I'm gonna guess Ship isn't a huge fan, I don't think Cheapy would have played enough of it yet to hate it.

Cheapy? Because I do not really like it because all the commercials lead me on to believe that it is a GTA in the 1940s. Will listen on the way to work.

shipwreck is forgettable. He doesn't say much except to preview a review every now and then. I might forget him also. Wombat would be strange to forget.

I'm going to guess Shipwreck as well. There is a possibility the game wasn't what Cheapy expected since it is not really a GTA game where you could just go around just causing random havoc. I would think Wombat would like a good detective game considering his enjoyment of Batman, so it was either Cheapy or Shipwreck for me.

[quote name='serenitygod']shipwreck is forgettable. He doesn't say much except to preview a review every now and then. I might forget him also. Wombat would be strange to forget.[/QUOTE]

Why do people say such things? Anonymity really is quite puzzling...These guys are doing a show for you, and yet you insult one of the hosts by blabbering out something that stupid.

Yeah, sometimes I feel bad for Shipwreck when it seems like no one on the show hears him/pays attention. Being a quieter guy myself, I can relate. I like hearing what he has to say.

Anyway, this was another good show. The accents Cheapy and Wombat do had me laughing pretty hard as always.

Cheapy, you could probably save time by removing the spoiler tags and "coming soon or never" text in the link dump.

Just use fast travel to avoid driving in LA Noire, Shipwreck. I do that when Street Crime alerts get annoying because Rockstar's games can't stand to allow you to drive for more than a minute without trying to get you to do something else instead.

Nathan was talking about not wanting kill the innocent guards, but he's all for killing people that want to kill him. Speaking of LA Noire, it's odd that you can't just shoot somebody in the leg to take them out without killing them, so you're this morally just cop that ends up killing hundreds of people.

I agree with Wombat on the huge opportunity that MS is blowing with Games on Demand's older titles, which should be dirt cheap since retailers wouldn't care.

The people that buy all of the costumes and characters for these fighting games are only encouraging the publishers to continue to raise the prices to get as much money out of them as possible, much like Call of Duty fans did to get $15 map packs.

Good show.

Tight show - 'cept for forgetting Ship in the open. Bad form, Cheapy!

As for L.A. Noire - it's a different experience, so while the cut scenes may be "too long" or "too often", just take it for what it is instead of wanting it to be something different.

Wombat - pretty good Macho Man impression...'til ye turned pirate.

[quote name='Hoarr']Wait...weren't you people recording tonight? How the hell did you get this up that quick?[/QUOTE]

I've had a lot of practice!

Shipwreck is awesome. I find myself agreeing with him more than Cheapy or Wombat.

Was it Wombat that's just now playing Uncharted 2? Would like to hear some final impressions and if he's looking forward to Uncharted 3 after playing it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I agree with Wombat on the huge opportunity that MS is blowing with Games on Demand's older titles, which should be dirt cheap since retailers wouldn't care.[/QUOTE]

I just bought my first GoD on Sunday - Just Cause 2. It was $29.99, which was only a couple of bucks more than Amazon sell the disc version for, and I paid in MS Points which I have gotten a good amount of for free thru Bing Rewards. So add that to the convenience of having it on my hard drive, and I feel like I got a great deal.

On the other end of the spectrum, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand just got added to Games on Demand, and for reasons that defy any logical explanation, the price is $59.99.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/50-Cent-BotS/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025451083b

I have a 3 card monte story.. and it all happened in the early 90's on St. Patricks day.

So my 4 Long Island friends and I were chilling in times square. He would allow extreme betting, then make you lose it all. So we made about $150... and figured out you just had to leave before he makes you lose it all, before we could do this, one of the lookout's saw a cop, the whole this stopped, everyone started walking away. We split into two different groups start walking down the block and another lookout stopped the wrong group, and robbed the wrong group, got about 30 bucks off of them. We met back up at Penn Station, split the winning money, and took to LIRR back to LI.

I am the one person that bought Naughty Bear Gold edition.. I am ashamed of it.
I told my friends that I bought the regular Naughty Bear for $11.00 to not make myself look like a rube. I bought the gold edition just incase I wanted the DLC. The game is bad very but I wanted to make bears commit suicide and I blame Shipwreck for it. I am a new CAG and I have been listing to the past year of CAGCasts. Last week I listened to a show that was from last summer. Shipwreck described a Naughty Bear trailer where you make a bear kill himself with a gun and said it was disturbing. I was sold instantly due to L.A. Noire's lack of homicidal killing spree. Thanks Shipwreck.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='collipop']I just completed LA Noire and am still unsure if It was really that fun. I think Shipwreck should at least play to the end of the Homicide desk before writing it off though, its the best desk imo.[/QUOTE]

I'll play the entire game. It'll just take awhile since we have to make time for both my wife and me to play it together.

When it comes to games, I'm not surprised when anyone does or doesn't like something that I do. L.A. Noire is a very different kind of game—not flawless but fun, and unlike anything I've played before, despite its adventure game roots. I can't begrudge Shipwreck not digging it as much as Cheapy or me. I'll be curious to hear what Wombat thinks once he's played it. I appreciate his perspective, but I'm glad he cut his screenwriting/game analogy short before he took too strong a position based on assumptions. Just because a game sticks more to a movie/TV storytelling formula than traditional gameplay doesn't mean it's poorly made. Far too many games add in unnecessary action sequences to pad out game length at the expense of story.

Lex Luger killed Elizabeth...i think it was a pretty big story. That guy was apparently a pretty horrible person.

Here is how to win at 3 Card Monte or the shell game:

Pick your card (or shell) and put your hands on top of the other two. Since the dealer palms the correct card, he will have no choice but to let you win.

[quote name='Porksta']Here is how to win at 3 Card Monte or the shell game:

Pick your card (or shell) and put your hands on top of the other two. Since the dealer palms the correct card, he will have no choice but to let you win.[/QUOTE]

In this case, the dealer also has another choice. It involves a knife and stabbing you.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Shipwreck is awesome. I find myself agreeing with him more than Cheapy or Wombat.[/QUOTE]

Everyone on the show is fun, but Shipwreck is the hardcore glue to the whole operation. He's the guy that plays everything, has the gamer-score to prove it, is a solid reviewer, and is a knowledgeable, balanced chap. I don't get when people say otherwise. I like poop jokes as much as anyone, but I also want to know if the new releases suck or not.

I bought Naughty Bear too. I'm sorry. It was a terrible game, but it was really rewarding killing all the bears stealthy and in interesting ways. It was different, and twisted.

I am digging L.A. Noire so far. I fast Travel everywhere, just like GTA. Glad it is free.

[quote name='KingBroly']Wombat, I've broken my glasses roughly 15 times since second grade. Top that![/QUOTE]

What are you in the third grade now?

[quote name='nofzac']Lex Luger killed Elizabeth...i think it was a pretty big story. That guy was apparently a pretty horrible person.[/QUOTE]

So he is just apparently a horrible person for killing someone? At what point do you take the word "apparently" out of the equation?

As to Wombat not liking "Games that seem like movies" genre, did he not like Metal Gear Solid 4? Did that not have extensive cut scenes? L.A. Noire does have the feeling at times of Heavy Rain, but that is mainly while your doing the investigation and interviewing of people. I just like that there are many ways to solve a case. One way you can get a guy to confess and arrest him and he'll give up the address of a suspect. Or you could just leave him and follow him to the suspect. But I guess that is how Heavy Rain is as well depending on your actions. Side missions are redundant at times.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I just bought my first GoD on Sunday - Just Cause 2. It was $29.99, which was only a couple of bucks more than Amazon sell the disc version for, and I paid in MS Points which I have gotten a good amount of for free thru Bing Rewards. So add that to the convenience of having it on my hard drive, and I feel like I got a great deal.

On the other end of the spectrum, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand just got added to Games on Demand, and for reasons that defy any logical explanation, the price is $59.99.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/50-Cent-BotS/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025451083b[/QUOTE]
I'm talking more about the titles that are no longer in stock at retail stores that should be $10-$15 at most. Though being more consistent with pricing would also be great, but the range is huge right now ($20 to $60) and games like Modern Warfare 2 and Halo Reach are showing that high prices are fine if the game is popular enough.

Sales would be a big help, though those have been rare at best. The Halo Reach sale is the first one I've seen in a while. I own a bunch of digital UMD games on the PSP (Chinatown Wars, VC2, Persona 3, Burnout Legends, WTF, Prinny, Killzone) because of their sales and price drops and would be willing to do the same for Xbox 360 and PS3 if they did the same.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm talking more about the titles that are no longer in stock at retail stores that should be $10-$15 at most.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree. I would have bought a few old games on GoD already if they were priced like they should be. Burnout Revenge is a great example of a game that should be $9.99.

I just wanted to point out that $29.99 is a good price for Just Cause 2 which only came out in March last year, and that $59.99 is an ridiculous price for 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Shipwreck, Microsoft is charging $59.99 for 50 Cent Blood on the Sand. That game originally cost $49.99. Their pricing model is completely broken. It's hard for consumers to get excited about downloadable games as a service if their pricing isn't consistent and there's the prospect that those games won't work on future consoles.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Oh, I agree. I would have bought a few old games on GoD already if they were priced like they should be. Burnout Revenge is a great example of a game that should be $9.99.

I just wanted to point out that $29.99 is a good price for Just Cause 2 which only came out in March last year, and that $59.99 is an ridiculous price for 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.[/QUOTE]
Sure, there are decent prices, but they are kind of outweighed by a lot of questionable stuff. I'd be willing to bend a bit for a game I'd really want to play, like Just Cause 2 if I didn't already have it on the PS3.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

Just use fast travel to avoid driving in LA Noire, Shipwreck. I do that when Street Crime alerts get annoying because Rockstar's games can't stand to allow you to drive for more than a minute without trying to get you to do something else instead.[/QUOTE]

The street crimes are already annoying me, so I foresee letting my partner drive a LOT.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

Speaking of LA Noire, it's odd that you can't just shoot somebody in the leg to take them out without killing them, so you're this morally just cop that ends up killing hundreds of people.

[/QUOTE]

I made the mistake of going for a leg in my first hostage situation - bad idea apparently. I guess it's a testament to the immersion of the game, because on my second try, after plugging the guy in the head, in the back of my mind I was thinking "I wonder if internal affairs is going to give me crap for blowing this guy away"... lol.

Like Wombat, I also just played Uncharted 2.

My feelings on the series are similar to Cheapy's. I liked the first, the second was more of the same, and I'm not exactly enthused for a third.

I thought Uncharted 2 was a lot more polished than Uncharted 1. I of course did play UC2 first before completing UC1. But I thought the over all graphics/game play/story were more than what UC1 had to offer.

Wombat didn't say that any game that uses cut scenes to move the plot forward is a terrible game, did he?

[quote name='drkshr']I thought Uncharted 2 was a lot more polished than Uncharted 1. I of course did play UC2 first before completing UC1. But I thought the over all graphics/game play/story were more than what UC1 had to offer.[/QUOTE]
I thought 2 was much much better than Uncharted. I got both games at about the same time, so I started Uncharted 1 and it was pretty decent. One day I said screw it and put in Uncharted 2 and that was it for Uncharted 1. I couldn't go back to it.

bread's done
Back