Deals on Star Trek complete series

The best was Black Friday when GoHastings.com had TNG for around $75... But DS9 and Voyager never seem to go below $200.

It's not owning them, but all Star Treks are going to be on Netflix "instant watch" in July. Even rumors of HD'ing TNG (like they did with the Original Series) starting this fall.

Not sure how TNG will be redone in HD since it was shot on video instead of film. The reason the original series was converted to HD was because the shooting was done on actual film, same with shows like Seinfield, etc. If the show is popular enough, companies like Sony and CBS will go back and encode 1080p HD from the original film master. DS9 and Voyager have the same problem as TNG as they were shot on video.

Honestly, I'm waiting for Netflix to get all of the Star Trek series. If you want to own them on media, go ahead and get TNG on DVD. If it is released on Blu-Ray, it will probably be a crappy upconversion (like Sunny in Philadephia Season 5) and not look that great.

[quote name='4tygames']Not sure how TNG will be redone in HD since it was shot on video instead of film. The reason the original series was converted to HD was because the shooting was done on actual film, same with shows like Seinfield, etc. If the show is popular enough, companies like Sony and CBS will go back and encode 1080p HD from the original film master. DS9 and Voyager have the same problem as TNG as they were shot on video.

Honestly, I'm waiting for Netflix to get all of the Star Trek series. If you want to own them on media, go ahead and get TNG on DVD. If it is released on Blu-Ray, it will probably be a crappy upconversion and not look that great.[/QUOTE]

actually TNG WAS done on film. it was then post processed and the SFX were done on video. but the original elements are on Film... all that would need to be done would go back to the elements and redo the FX shots like in the Original Series

I got in on tng for like 68 @ gohastings im still working my way through it :D im at season 4 Is it for sure going up on netflix? if so I will want to sell mine get some money back

[quote name='bredbu']Is it for sure going up on netflix? if so I will want to sell mine get some money back[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's for sure. July 1st. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be up forever, those contracts do expire at some point I believe.

Has anyone seen star trek enterprise for cheap? I have been searching for a long time but it never seems to be cheap or really on sale.

[quote name='wormraper']actually TNG WAS done on film. it was then post processed and the SFX were done on video. but the original elements are on Film... all that would need to be done would go back to the elements and redo the FX shots like in the Original Series[/QUOTE]

Actually the show was edited on film as well, assuming they kept the original film stock they would have to put it all back together.

edit. Meant to say it was edited on TAPE oops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, well thanks for the info. We're (wife and I) nearing the end of Season 5 of TNG now, so it sounds like DS9 will be on Netflix right around the right time for us. Thanks for saving me a couple hundred bucks! Too bad I already bought Voyager, but I got a used copy for $70 for the entire series, not too bad.

[quote name='BrettX209']Wow, well thanks for the info. We're (wife and I) nearing the end of Season 5 of TNG now, so it sounds like DS9 will be on Netflix right around the right time for us. Thanks for saving me a couple hundred bucks! Too bad I already bought Voyager, but I got a used copy for $70 for the entire series, not too bad.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather own the series forever than have to worry about some digital "cloud" where the licenses expire etc. I'm a fanatic about OWNING movies/shows. not be at the mercy of some contract that expires or some studio gets pissy

[quote name='bizman316']Has anyone seen star trek enterprise for cheap? I have been searching for a long time but it never seems to be cheap or really on sale.[/QUOTE]

I picked up season 1-3 at WalMart for $20 each, but this is very YMMV, as ive also seen them at different WalMart stores for $50.

[quote name='bizman316']Has anyone seen star trek enterprise for cheap? I have been searching for a long time but it never seems to be cheap or really on sale.[/QUOTE]

Been backordered for 3 months. I think it was a price mistake and they want me to cancel. I will keep extending it for years if I have to.

2mwtkb8.jpg

Well, we're really only looking to watch the series once, so being temporarily at the mercy of the whims of Netflix will be fine on this.

[quote name='wormraper']I'd rather own the series forever than have to worry about some digital "cloud" where the licenses expire etc. I'm a fanatic about OWNING movies/shows. not be at the mercy of some contract that expires or some studio gets pissy[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wormraper']I'd rather own the series forever than have to worry about some digital "cloud" where the licenses expire etc. I'm a fanatic about OWNING movies/shows. not be at the mercy of some contract that expires or some studio gets pissy[/QUOTE]
For shows I'll be rewatching time and again over the years, I agree. But Netflix is nice for just watching something for the first time.

[quote name='bigsick']I too am looking for this but only tng[/QUOTE]
Just a warning: the green box version of the complete TNG set has an atrociously cheap quality to it. Unless GoHastings is selling it for $70 again, you're better off looking for deals on the silver boxed seasons since the packaging doesn't suck like the green box.

I personally picked up all the silver boxed seasons between Barnes & Noble and Amazon for ~$160 total. Granted, part of that was due to the perfect storm of B2G1, 50% off coupons, and B&N membership perks that all stacked, but these deals do happen.

One thing I can suggest is that you "like" Star Trek on Facebook. They had a deal a couple weeks ago for 50 off anything Voyager so you could have gotten the complete set for $174.95. They might have a Memorial Weekend sale on facebook?

[quote name='Drahken']Actually the show was edited on film as well, assuming they kept the original film stock they would have to put it all back together.[/QUOTE]

This is what I've heard too. A big part of the reason that the original was redone in HD was to catch the wave of popularity that came with the movie reboot. I'm not sure there's financial incentive to redo TNG or any of the other series, especially since it'd require reediting and recutting all of the episodes.

To clear some things up:

On July 1, TOS, TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise will be up on Netflix in their entirety. TOS and Enterprise will be in HD.

On October 1, DS9 will be on Netflix.

If they do an HD remaster of TNG, it'll be an expensive project. It'll definitely be on Blu-ray for a while, and then maybe Syfy HD or BBC America HD, before it goes to Netflix.

[quote name='BrettX209']WTF? Why all the extra months until DS9? That pretty much screws up my plans :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
Gotta save the best for last!

[quote name='capybara554321']its kinnda funny that after all this time they are still this expensive you would think they would be in to 20 range by now[/QUOTE]

They are a cash cow with a strong fan base, Paramount knows how to milk it pretty well without spending much effort on doing so.

TOS was shot on 35mm film which has an enormous amount of resolution and detail,
making the transfer to HD easy, cheap, and beautiful.

TNG was shot using 480i SD video like most tv shows did in the 80's because it was cheaper.
They can upscale it to 1080 and call it HD if they want,
but there simply isn't enough native resolution and detail to look anything as good as TOS.

A lot of tv shows in the 80's and 90's made on video are gonna have this problem.
I think eventually supercomputers will be able to interpolate new resolution and detail to make up the difference though.

[quote name='gordojones88']TOS was shot on 35mm film which has an enormous amount of resolution and detail,
making the transfer to HD easy, cheap, and beautiful.

TNG was shot using 480i SD video like most tv shows did in the 80's because it was cheaper.
They can upscale it to 1080 and call it HD if they want,
but there simply isn't enough native resolution and detail to look anything as good as TOS.

A lot of tv shows in the 80's and 90's made on video are gonna have this problem.
I think eventually supercomputers will be able to interpolate new resolution and detail to make up the difference though.[/QUOTE]

It was shot on 35mm film then transferred to tape since the tape was easier do post production on. But the question remains as to whether that originally film stock still exists.

Assuming they didn't all end up http://www.amazon.com/STAR-TREK-ORIG-35MM-FILM/dp/B002Z3NLJC

[quote name='Drahken']It was shot on 35mm film then transferred to tape since the tape was easier do post production on. But the question remains as to whether that originally film stock still exists.

Assuming they didn't all end up http://www.amazon.com/STAR-TREK-ORIG-35MM-FILM/dp/B002Z3NLJC[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks.
I just googled TNG 35mm film and sure enough a bunch
of people have misunderstood the problem just like I did.
I am ecstatic that it can be done with enough time and money.
This guy here goes into a lot of details.
I was gonna say that I'm not really sure,
and ask somebody here for clarification.
Thanks for being cool about it.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen DS9 since it was first on, watch it again, now that you're 15 years older. It's way, way better than you remember, and you remember it being great.

[quote name='mkelehan']Also, for anyone who hasn't seen DS9 since it was first on, watch it again, now that you're 15 years older. It's way, way better than you remember, and you remember it being great.[/QUOTE]

DS9 was the worst of the series. It was so boring with the whole Cardasian thing. The episode where Sisko and Jake "sale" to Cardasia is by far the worst Star Trek episode ever. It did not get any good until Robert Hewitt Wolfe got in there and started the Dominian War. It did have awesome characters like Garrak and Jax, but the rest of the cast was just "Eh" compared to other series. I got more excited watching Bashir than Sisko any time during the series, so if I'm more into the Doctor of the series than the Lt. Commander (later Captain) Sisko, than that is not a good sign of character.

[quote name='Davestation']DS9 was the worst of the series. It was so boring with the whole Cardasian thing. The episode where Sisko and Jake "sale" to Cardasia is by far the worst Star Trek episode ever. It did not get any good until Robert Hewitt Wolfe got in there and started the Dominian War. It did have awesome characters like Garrak and Jax, but the rest of the cast was just "Eh" compared to other series. I got more excited watching Bashir than Sisko any time during the series, so if I'm more into the Doctor of the series than the Lt. Commander (later Captain) Sisko, than that is not a good sign of character.[/QUOTE]

Meh. I think it's the best series. The space station gave the series more of a community feel that let the characters grow in ways that a "mission-of-the-week" show wouldn't have. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just welcomed the change in pace that DS9 provided. I always found McCoy and Spock more entertaining than Kirk, fwiw. Oh and Jax=Dax, I assume. Just clarifying because it took me a second to know what you were referring to. I was picturing the MK character for a while.

I know, its all a matter of preference and I meant Dax, glad I did not have to spell her first name. I also meant "Sail" instead of "Sale"

I prefered DS9 as well, mostly for the continual story. I also thought the characters were great. I like Sisko more than Kirk and Janeway. Odo, Quark, and Bashir were seriously strong characters as well. It could have used less of Kira and Alexander though.

I've also always felt DS9 is the best series, only because it strayed the most from the familiar formula by becoming darker and more serialized. It served really as a perfect companion piece to TNG and then to Voyager by offering a different sort of Star Trek. Really though, I loved every Star Trek series. Man do I miss it.

I'm still sad that the star trek series never really go on sale (and I mean a REAL sale not a $40 a season sale :roll: )...I'd kill to pick up DS9 in the $120 or less range or Enterprise for about $60-$70 range

[quote name='wormraper']I'm still sad that the star trek series never really go on sale (and I mean a REAL sale not a $40 a season sale :roll: )...I'd kill to pick up DS9 in the $120 or less range or Enterprise for about $60-$70 range[/QUOTE]

its on netflix now been watching non stop

I love the series. Years ago I lucked up and got 6 seasons from a pawn shop of tng. for a 120 andthe prices never drop. The season I was missing was when data was the captian. I searched for years and the price seemed to never drop.

Each series brought something different. I liked voyager and DS( I didn't get at first but once I started watching it was a great series.

I really didn't get into the new one named enterprise. Not sure why. Although I might through reruns.

[quote name='bredbu']its on netflix now been watching non stop[/QUOTE]

yeah, I know it's on netlfix... I just want to OWN the rest of the series. I have TNG and the OS on blu ray just need DS9 and Enterprise (used to love voyager but somehow it grates on my nerves as I got older)

bread's done
Back