Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 to get "Elite" Monthly Subscription Fee

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Multiplayer will be free, but optional features will be available by monthly subscription only

UPDATE: Here is a post with more details

Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game. In a move industry executives describe as a first, Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play.
Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html#ixzz1NtBHqCW5

Last edited by a moderator:
Man that sucks. Thanks for the heads up Cheapster. I won't be buying it. Hopefully, this will allow another franchise to emerge for players to flock to with no fees.

i just saw this on my twitter feed from wsj. this is so dumb. this would be a smart move if there was no other FPS online communities, but since gamers have other options in terms of FPS online multiplayer, i hope COD realized how much business they are going to lose and get rid of this nonsense

Good job Activision, I'm not buying Modern Warfare 3.

And good luck selling this to Joe Sixpack, who I'm sure will love paying a monthly fee for CoD alongside their XBL subscription.

This is bad news. This means CoD noobs will flock to BF3 now...
Hopefully these idiots will just pay the $7.99, there is nothing worse than playing BC2 and losing because all the CoD folks don't know what objectives are :cry:

Did anyone read the article? It isn't pay to play. It's a monthly subscription fee for a social networking type website with stat tracking and it also includes the year's DLC maps. It gets nothing exclusive (yet) and looks like it's going to fail hardcore.

[quote name='Trakan']Did anyone read the article? It isn't pay to play. It's a monthly subscription fee for a social networking type website with stat tracking and it also includes the year's DLC maps. It gets nothing exclusive (yet) and looks like it's going to fail hardcore.[/QUOTE]

All the details aren't out. It is possible that some game modes will be restricted to "elite" subscribers and/or normal players will get locked out of game types when new DLC is available to subscribers.

We'll see E3 though I guess

I think the wost part about this is if it does work somehow, then everyone under the sun is going to do. Halo for sure. Lets all thank Activision for fucking over gamers as much as possible.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Lets all thank Activision for fucking over gamers as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

PC gamers have been saying this for years ;)
Hopefully console gamers will get a taste of it now.

This is the beginning of a new era. Modern Warfare 3 $7.99 for elite status. Playing the game lalala "unlock this thing or you're at a disadvantage"....oh ok...cha-ching.

Battlefield 3 5.99

Halo...
Gears...
???....

Total 179.99 a month.

DICE isn't a shitty developer though, so luckily we won't see any of this from BF3 or any future BF games
As for Halo/Gears/etc, who knows.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']This is the beginning of a new era. Modern Warfare 3 $7.99 for elite status. Playing the game lalala "unlock this thing or you're at a disadvantage"....oh ok...cha-ching.

Battlefield 3 5.99

Halo...
Gears...
???....

Total 179.99 a month.[/QUOTE]

If something like this happened then only a few would survive and every other game would have to go back to the free model. Just look at MMOs; I think the video game market can only support a very limited number of monthly payed services before people stop paying for all but the ones they care about and ignoring everything else.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']All the details aren't out. It is possible that some game modes will be restricted to "elite" subscribers and/or normal players will get locked out of game types when new DLC is available to subscribers.

We'll see E3 though I guess[/QUOTE]

Right. All we have to go on is this article. Judging by the reaction to the article, people are freaking out over nothing.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']DICE isn't a shitty developer though, so luckily we won't see any of this from BF3 or any future BF games
As for Halo/Gears/etc, who knows.[/QUOTE]

None of it would be up to Dice. Dice is a developer. EA is the publisher, and if history is any indication EA would be all over this if it was successful.

someone out there will be paying this

live fee
netflix fee
gamefly fee
mw3 fee
= broke

you can tell this is a 10 year old using his parents money :p

[quote name='Trakan']None of it would be up to Dice. Dice is a developer. EA is the publisher, and if history is any indication EA would be all over this if it was successful.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it can be up to the developer. Everyone thought it was Activision's decision to remove dedicated servers from MW2, but in the end we all found out it was Infinity War's fault (Treyarch allowed for dedicated server support for Black Ops).

Also, with a studio as big/successful as DICE, I doubt EA would not force them to rip off their fans (EA isn't Activision after all...)

Is Activision trying send MW fans to BF3 on purpose or they must have an arrogant group of people in their marketing dept.

If they think this is type of a service will not be looked at in the most negative connotations, they've got another thing coming.
I lost a lot of respect for Activision after the garbage they put out last fall but now I have completely lost respect for that company.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Actually, it can be up to the developer. Everyone thought it was Activision's decision to remove dedicated servers from MW2, but in the end we all found out it was Infinity War's fault (Treyarch allowed for dedicated server support for Black Ops).

Also, with a studio as big/successful as DICE, I doubt EA would not force them to rip off their fans (EA isn't Activision after all...)[/QUOTE]

Of course they're not going to object to something that probably saves them money in some way. If IW suggested dedicated servers or free DLC Activision wouldn't allow it. Neither would EA.

[quote name='Trakan']https://twitter.com/#!/kobunheat/sta...85999865294848

https://twitter.com/#!/jasonschreier...82019403694080

https://twitter.com/#!/chrisgrant/st...79792878374912[/QUOTE]

I dunno...these tweets actually make me more nervous. The WSJ journal article makes the service sound mostly like a stat tracker.

If it turns out the service gives exclusive perks, weapons and other advantages over free players, it will be the biggest bullshit move this gen.

As for others worrying this will become standard, very few games can get away with something like this, so I wouldn't worry.

[quote name='KingBroly']This is a 100% Hell fucking NO from me

I won't even buy the game because of it.[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly thinking the same.

What a slap in the face to consumers.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']fourzerotwo Robert Bowlin
COD ELITE is free, for all players, some paid aspects TBD. Absolutely NO fee to play #MW3 multiplayer. Detailed reveal coming tomorrow AM.[/QUOTE]

So it's free, except for the parts that aren't free. Marketing!

It is obvious that CoD MP is free (though technically you still have to buy the game). I am assuming that the service will be extra content (read: advantage) can be bought in MW3. Thinking along the lines of Free to Play MMOs. The game is free to play, but there are some people that invest the time into their game that are willing to drop excess of $100 to have an advantage.

If this true, expect MW3 to be the console version of TF2's current state of affairs.

[quote name='CheapyD']So it's free, except for the parts that aren't free. Marketing![/QUOTE]
Gotta give them a little taste to entice them to pay for the rest of it.

Also mentioned on Twitter is that the WSJ writer didn't actually go to the event that this was revealed at, so he just got secondhand info that wasn't 100% fact. The people that do know the whole story are under embargo and aren't allowed to correct the issues with the WSJ article until Tuesday morning. Activision benefits anyway because there are the articles about what WSJ said tonight and then more articles tomorrow with the full story.

[quote name='Trakan']Of course they're not going to object to something that probably saves them money in some way. If IW suggested dedicated servers or free DLC Activision wouldn't allow it. Neither would EA.[/QUOTE]

But EA has... (Bad Company 2). Am I reading your post wrong?

Can't wait for them to gimp the free COD mp to add "value" to the fee based version. Anyone else remember when xbox silver didn't have demos delayed, yea. That's ok Kotick you sure seemed to have learned your lesson from Guitar Hero, milk it to a bloody pulp.

[quote name='ponn01']Can't wait for them to gimp the free COD mp to add "value" to the fee based version. Anyone else remember when xbox silver didn't have demos delayed, yea. That's ok Kotick you sure seemed to have learned your lesson from Guitar Hero, milk it to a bloody pulp.[/QUOTE]

Well they've already buried one franchise(which seemed immortal at the time), are we witnessing the next demise?

Come on, dont act so surprised.

This is activision were talking about, we all knew they would tack some sort of monthly fee into COD at some point in time. After the last one sold a billion dollars in sales I knew the next one would up the ante on their money sucking schemes somehow. I wasnt sure how but I figured they would in some way.

Not surprising they would wait for the next MW entry since thats the main series in COD, so makes sense they would wait for the one thats supposed to end the storyline from 1 and 2 and will be marketed more than the bible.

[quote name='aznhero913']Well they've already buried one franchise(which seemed immortal at the time), are we witnessing the next demise?[/QUOTE]

Thats what they do. Like guitar hero, they whore it out and will burn through the title oversaturating the market and soon as they get first hint of sales dropping they get rid of it. Dont forget, they have bungie now. They will rape COD and soon as it starts lagging behind they will dump it and its developers and will move bungie over into the drivers seat as their hot new game franchise. They were getting bungie lined up to join them when they got rid of infinity ward guys last time. Then when bungie starts slacking they will replace them.

The video is extremely well edited and put together.

While the video points to CoD Elite being a social network for CoD players, this isn't the paid service that everyone is griping about, though fourtwozero says "TBD."

Though it is odd to see them wanting people to connect with one another. I thought CoD was about lone wolf kill streaks?

[quote name='j-cart']

While the video points to CoD Elite being a social network for CoD players, this isn't the paid service that everyone is griping about, though fourtwozero says "TBD."
[/QUOTE]

elitepaidxoku.png

Unsurprising, but to me, it's just unreal that a $60 price tag is now not enough for them. It's not like they are providing content in the first place that's worth $60 -- a 5-6 hour solo campaign is basically an afterthought now, so all that leaves is the multi-player...and yet they are asking everyone to pay MORE now for the latter? It's just insane.

Sooner or later something HAS to give.

[quote name='seanr1221']Seems like a glorified stats-tracker.[/QUOTE]

Activision should take a look at what Bungie offers in Halo games for free since Halo 2.

Also, that guy sounds a lot like a comedian, TJ Miller.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']But EA has... (Bad Company 2). Am I reading your post wrong?[/QUOTE]

I should have phrased it differently, but I was referring to the free DLC as far as EA goes.

The video was a lot of fun, in a corny way. If I actually played Call of Duty multiplayer I would think about paying for this, especially if it's true that the cost of DLC map packs is included.

[quote name='j-cart']The video is extremely well edited and put together.[/QUOTE]
It just reminded me of those Gamestop machinima ads they put out a couple years ago. And like those ads, this video comes off as trying too hard to be appealing to gamers; the Double Rainbow meme... really?

I'd like to think that most gamers won't buy into this marketing bullshit, and call Activision out on this being a terrible value for consumers. I'm most likely being too optimistic.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']Canceling my pre-order today.[/QUOTE]
It's no skin off my nose, but seriously, why? Because other people are going to pay for some stat tracking?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's no skin off my nose, but seriously, why? Because other people are going to pay for some stat tracking?[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to pay for a game that they remove features and want people to pay for them. Reading a few other articles looks like they're going to have exclusive map packs as well and require you pay for this in order to keep access to them as well as locking modes out to those who dont pay for this. Good enough reasons if you ask me. I'll stick with BF3, Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 asmy MP venues this year. I'll probably "rent" MW 3 at some point this year from a gamestop used and at least play the campaign.

bread's done
Back