Nintendo E3 2011 Press Conference - Wii U, Luigi's Mansion 2, Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
[size=+3]E3 2011: June 6-9[/size]

The major press events are listed below, for reference:
  • Microsoft Press Conference - Monday, June 6th 9:30am PDT
  • Sony Press Conference - Monday, June 6th 5:00pm PDT [*]Nintendo Press Conference - Tuesday, June 7th, 9:00am PDT (6am HST, 8am AKDT, 10am MDT, 11am CDT, 12PM EDT)
EA - Monday, June 6th 12:30pm PDT
Ubisoft - Monday, June 6th 2:30pm PDT

The time is getting close, as E3 2011 will begin next week! The schedule of events is slightly different from last year, as Sony moves their event to Monday evening instead of their usual Tuesday afternoon timeslot. Like last year, Nintendo's event is slotted for 2 hours, though they used most of the second hour to let attendees view the 3DS up-close. Of course, the major news at this year's conference will be the reveal of Project Cafe, Nintendo's home console successor with a potentially interesting twist on the controller side of things. Of course, there should be news and game announcements for the 3DS, Wii, and DS at the conference, especially since rumors point to a 2012 release for Cafe.

[size=+1]Streams, Liveblogs, and E3 pages[/size]
Official Nintendo Stream
- Yes, Nintendo is running an official stream of the press conference again, and it's usually a good quality stream.

GameSpot's stream
- Gamespot's streams are good, though they sometimes suffer when subject to heavy traffic.

IGN
- IGN used Youtube last year to host their streams, and so far, the E3 page over at Youtube has not been updated for 2011, so the streams may be hosted on IGN this year.
GameTrailers
- GameTrailers had a good set of streams last year, really nice quality, though like GameSpot, their reliability may suffer when subject to heavy traffic.

1UP
G4TV
- 1up and G4 usually host their online streams on outside streaming sites like Justin.tv or Ustream. Of course, you can always catch the conferences on television, with G4 showing the Sony, Nintendo, and Ubisoft conferences, and SpikeTV showing the Microsoft and EA conferences.

GamePro
- Never tried GamePro's streams, but it looks like they're using NowLive.

Speculatotron
(Actually, since I haven't been keeping up with rumors, this will lean more towards games that have already been announced for other regions)
[hiddenlist]
- Project Cafe (AKA Wii 2, Wii HD), Nintendo's new console is going to be unveiled at their E3 press conference. Normally, I'd compile the various rumors that have popped up, but Cheesemeister over at NeoGAF has already done that, so check out that topic.
- But for those who want the short version: HD graphics, dual-analog controller with a built-in touchscreen and motion and pointer abilities, and backwards compatibility.

- 3DS games announced at previous events should get a showing this year, so expect 3DS titles like Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Super Mario, Star Fox, etc.
- 3DS potential third-party notables: Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime 2/3, Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton, Cubic Ninja, Crush3D, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D, Mega Man Legends 3, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked, .
- DS titles rumored or announced for other regions: Professor Layton and the Last Specter (Trademarked, very likely), Solatorobo (Already announced for Europe), AAI: Miles Edgeworth 2 (Released in Japan), Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 (Announced for Japan), Atsumete! Kirby (The multi-Kirby game)
- Wii titles rumored, shown at past events, or announced for other regions: Xenoblade Chronicles (Announced for Europe), The Last Story (Rumored for Europe), Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Yeah, it's definitely showing up here), Kirby Wii (Already announced for Japan, it's Kirby in the classic style), Rhythm Heaven Wii (Announced for Japan), Pandora's Tower (Announced for Japan), Wii Play Motion (Already announced for US).

- Might as well mention some old rumors/announcements, since Nintendo brought Kirby Wii out of limbo: Pikmin 3 (Platform still unknown), Dragon Quest X (Originally announced for Wii, but platform may change; probably won't be mentioned at E3), Metroid "from the Space Pirates' perspective" (A blurb from an old web page, IIRC we never did learn what this meant). There's also something allegedly happening for Zelda's 25th anniversary, though that could end up just being another collection.
- And it might be worth remembering the outside studios that are not working on some imminent release, since they might have started work on unannounced titles: Retro (Donkey Kong Country Returns), Monster Games (Pilotwings Resort), Next Level Games (Last worked on Punch-out for Nintendo, currently developing the Captain America game).
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
My body is re-

...all I want is Pikmin 3. If it shows, with a release date, I will be pleased. Don't care about which platform it's on.

Layton release date, DQX, Rhythm Heaven Wii and Animal Crossing/Paper Mario 3DS are just icing on the cake for me.

+1 on Pikmin 3, but at this point, I'd rather see it on the new console in HD. Imagine a living, breathing, lush garden to explore with Olimar in full HD. :drool:

I still wouldn't mind seeing a Luigi's Mansion 2 for Wii. LM is basically the ONLY franchise Nintendo had that actually made sense for the Wiimote. They dropped the ball on that one. :lol:

I realized there is one thing and only one thing I want out of this press conference.

News of Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 being released state side.

I am already buying Project Cafe, I own a 3DS, I am going to buy any good Nintendo published game.

All I want is that news because Rocket Slime is probably my favorite DS game out there.

[quote name='Strell']26 hours to go.

I'm game for chat.[/QUOTE]

Oh crap. I thought it started today. I'm way off schedule.

Regardless, I will be using the same chat for E3 stuff - Click here.

I'll be tuned in...please repost the link to chat tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to experiencing, at long last, the Mother characters and Geno from SMRPG in glorious HIGH DEFINITION.

Im looking forward to the new system reveal. With sony and MS going move and kinect crazy, it would be funny to see nintendo ditching those motion controlls for something fresh. It would be nice to see nintendo system based off a regular controller, with the LCD display that would allow the system to have DS style games. Right now i dont think MS or Sony had a great, or even good E3. Nintendo could really take the cake.

Microsoft pretty much sucked, but I think Sony did a decent job, so they're the one to beat. I really have high hopes for the new Nintendo console. I don't even give a fuck about the screen on the controller, but I hope if it's there it's done well. I really just want a normal controller at this point. I'm not a big Wiimote hater, but I feel like they could do a lot more with a normal controller and I want a nice new console that takes some of the positive aspects of the 360 and makes me really want to play it. I have some Wii games I want to play, but it's like I just don't want to turn it on. Even the PS3 sometimes feels like a chore with the shitty interface and constant, slow updates.

My guess is they'll push back the new Zelda to release it with the Wii 2 as well, like they did with Twilight Princess.

That would just be awkward, especially if these rumors of screen and camera having controllers are true. Couldn't see them releasing a Cafe game that includes a motion plus and requires a previous-gen controller. Having two active (and vastly different) controller systems would be a good way to confuse people.

Now, if Nintendo wants to win E3, all they need to do is announce that they're finally bringing Mother 3 over. Bundle it with Earthbound and throw it on the 3DS, and they won't be able to take my money fast enough...

I'm incredibly psyched. Beyond all the usual excitement surrounding a new system unveil, there's also the fact that we'll finally have Nintendo games in HD!

That's not a bash--I've greatly enjoyed my Wii over the past few years--but the wait to see Nintendo make HD games has been a long one indeed. Expecting them to easily win best press conference of E3 (again).

Edit: A few quick and somewhat-safe predictions. 1) Skyward Sword will stay on Wii, exclusively. 2) A Pikmin game will be shown, finally. 3) Square-Enix will have a brand new, Nintendo-exclusive title.

I expect the following

- Super Mario (Official Name) in 2011 (November)
- Skyward Sword in September
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- The Last Story (2012)
- Kid Icarus Uprising in 2011 (October)
- Zelda 25th Anniversary is FSA-like with WFC support (Wii to DS integration)
- Cafe Launch Game:
I can't let you do that, Star Fox

- Nintendo's last Wii Game and how they'll end the show:
The Last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy...is at peace.

I'd be surprised with your Cafe launch pick... I see Pikmin 3 or one of the Nintendo racers (F-Zero, Wave Race, Mario Kart) as more likely contenders. But we should have a better idea in just a few hours...

[quote name='KingBroly']I expect the following

- Super Mario (Official Name) in 2011 (November)
- Skyward Sword in September
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- The Last Story (2012)
- Kid Icarus Uprising in 2011 (October)
- Zelda 25th Anniversary is FSA-like with WFC support (Wii to DS integration)
- Cafe Launch Game:
I can't let you do that, Star Fox

- Nintendo's last Wii Game and how they'll end the show:
The Last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy...is at peace.
[/QUOTE]

6 hours to go. Counting the almost inevitable delay, around 6.5.

Don't feel much of a need to make predictions.

[quote name='Strell']Don't feel much of a need to make predictions.[/QUOTE]
Me neither. We got this predikshun shnizz on lock anyhow son. Let me drop you some predikshun flava...

Yo, project cafe be needin lektricity, an it jus suck dat shit rite outa tha sky, FO REAL.

BOOM.

With cotton candy?

No way, they can't put cotton candy in video games. We don't have the technology yet. They tried to do that with the GameCube, they wanted to put the 3D and a microphone you blow into and a cotton candy maker and a controller with a little screen on it, but they just couldn't make it cost effective.

Iwata's got a great story about it, maybe he'll get around to it today.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I'd be surprised with your Cafe launch pick... I see Pikmin 3 or one of the Nintendo racers (F-Zero, Wave Race, Mario Kart) as more likely contenders. But we should have a better idea in just a few hours...[/QUOTE]

I say Star Fox because of the Chase Him Down comment the IGN guy said. He said he'd have another one later.

Guesses were Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, Mario Cafe, GTA5, etc.

I think putting a Mario game for Cafe at launch, while awesome, would be complete Mario overkill. 5 Main Mario games in 6 years is a bit much.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think putting a Mario game for Cafe at launch, while awesome, would be complete Mario overkill. 5 Main Mario games in 6 years is a bit much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you gotta hold that shit back for Mario/Sonic Winter Olympics. Or Mario Jarts n' Horseshoes. Or Mario 64 Redux Redux Redux. Or Super Special Happy Mario ROM Collection, now featuring the same ROMs from the last collection.

A quality Mario launch title would ruin all of the careful planning that went into its predecessors. Totally overkill.

I think Nintendo should start their press conference like this.

Silence and darkness hang heavy in the air for several seconds. Then you hear a single booming voice say that one company has both dominated and defined the industry for the better part of its existence. We are the kings. Then Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto all walk out at the same time as this Zelda Busta Rhymes remix plays(starting at the Chorus, dont touch me $$$$a, you might burn yourself!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6VStjxhBs

Would be hilariously awesome but never happen ;)

On a more serious note. I imagine that even though Sony had a very strong showing yesterday that Nintendo wins on the grounds that they are showing a new console. That said they need to show something that is either a lot more powerful then existing consoles or if its only slightly more so it needs to be hella cheap(no more then $250).

I see it going down like this:

- Open with Zelda (either 25th Anv. or SS), date it for Sept.
- Charts + Wii Price + Selects (New Selects Revealed)
- Wii games being localized (Last Story, Xenoblade)
- 3DS lineup for Fall (Super Mario, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing)
- Project Cafe Talk
- Project Cafe Game Reveals (1 Third Party + 1 Nintendo)
- Reggie closing
- "But before you leave"

[quote name='KingBroly']I see it going down like this:

- Open with Zelda (either 25th Anv. or SS), date it for Sept.
- Charts + Wii Price + Selects (New Selects Revealed)
- Wii games being localized (Last Story, Xenoblade)
- 3DS lineup for Fall (Super Mario, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing)
- Project Cafe Talk
- Project Cafe Game Reveals (1 Third Party + 1 Nintendo)
- Reggie closing
- "But before you leave"[/QUOTE]

Pretty good guess...and man I hope they leave the charts at home. So far its been a pretty chart free show, but if anyone is going to ruin that its Nintendo.

I feel like if Nintendo announces a new IP they already have Sony and Microsoft beat. I am extremely hopeful for Nintendo. Their 3DS lineup is looking killer, and the Cafe is looking great.

3 hours to go. My body is ready.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I feel like if Nintendo announces a new IP they already have Sony and Microsoft beat. I am extremely hopeful for Nintendo. Their 3DS lineup is looking killer, and the Cafe is looking great.

3 hours to go. My body is ready.[/QUOTE]

I think you are the first person I have heard suggest the 3DS has a good line up ;)

icBnx8.gif

[quote name='lilboo']I really hope we get Super Mario Closet: Peach & Daisy's Big Secret

For either Wii, WiiWare, or DS.[/QUOTE]

Nah, they give the gay stuff to Wario. I mean, have you seen Wario? Daddy Bear likes yellow and purple, and his mustache alone has the gay power of 50 Rip Taylors.

* ticks off 2 new members to the Rip Taylor Fan Club *

I'll PM you guys about monthly dues. I know, I know, hard times and all, but the newsletter is totally worth it. Plus you get a bitchin deal on confetti from Rip's personal supplier.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I'd be surprised with your Cafe launch pick... I see Pikmin 3 or one of the Nintendo racers (F-Zero, Wave Race, Mario Kart) as more likely contenders. But we should have a better idea in just a few hours...[/QUOTE]

I've been down on the Wii lately and on the fence about Cafe, but if they announced Pikmin, WaveRace and F-Zero for launch, I'm camping out for one.

I'm excited to see Cafe. Can't say I'm too excited about anything else. I won't be getting a 3DS until it drops at least $80 in price. If they were to announce such a price drop, now that would be exciting news!

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm excited to see Cafe. Can't say I'm too excited about anything else. I won't be getting a 3DS until it drops at least $80 in price. If they were to announce such a price drop, now that would be exciting news![/QUOTE]

Nintendo doesn't need a 3DS price cut. They will announce a 3D Mario game today and the internet will explode and 3DS handhelds will suddenly vanish off of shelves.

I think Nintendo has been holding back 3DS games on purpose knowing that the Vita was coming and today they unleash the hounds and show off just about every iconic character they have in new games. Just my guess.

As for the console, I think if they show off gameplay in new IP's or at least games that don't end in the number 3 or even a Roman numeral III or 'The Third' they'll be in good shape, but that console better be ready to last a few years, not slightly more powerful than the 360. They need a 2-3 more powerful, just to be flexible for when the new systems roll out otherwise they'll be behind the 8-ball again.

By the by, anyone pick up a USA Today? The last time I was at E3, the one in the video above, I was there, USA Today spilled the beans on everything that was being shown at the press conference. I realized this as I walked out of my hotel room and saw it lying on the floor, everything I was about to see was laid out for me in color in the paper, it was like that old show, Early Edition, where the dude got tomorrow's paper and then tried to fix all the wrongs. Tangent. There's nothing online at the moment, but maybe because Nintendo has told them to hush up for now, but that doesn't stop the paper from running it since they can't put out updated version 90 minutes from now after everything has been announced.

Yeah, I mentioned the Wii Music announcement at E3 in another thread, and a couple extremist fanboys showed up and started hurtful namecalling and accusing everyone of being turncoats, then a mod showed up and started editing/deleting posts, including mine, when all I did was talk about Wii Music. The lesson? You're either for Nintendo or you're agin em around here, I guess, and pointing out the embarrassment that is Wii Music falls under "agin em."

Leading with Wii Music 2 at E3 2011 would be the most hilarious and terrifying start I can possibly imagine. Just stick a bunch of dudes up on stage and have them mimic musical instruments with their wiimotes, and just after they've started out, you unfurl a banner behind them that reads "NOW WITH MOTIONPLUS CONTROL!" And then after that banner unfurls, you unfurl another banner that reads "AND SAXOPHONES!!!"

And then you pretty much watch the room clear out. Then you unfurl another banner that reads "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED." Then you waggle play the SMB theme on a marimba or some shit, whatever, I don't know how Wii Music works.

bread's done
Back