CAGcast #242: E3 2011 Preview

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Shipwreck and Cheapy preview next week's big show and give a heads up on what they will be seeing. Get your questions or topics answered via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]151[/podcast]
Download - 96 minutes, 57MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN
Free private registration with any domain registration/transfer = CAGFREE[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Wombat!

Downloading the CAGcast on iTunes now while I edit my own fake radio show. Fun night!

That's probably the most boring and unoriginal title used since I've started listening to the show. But I still look forward to listening as always. Thanks!

Downloading now. Anyone remember the name of the website they use to see game release dates. It was tech something. Grats wombat family!

Congrats Wombat :applause:.

Will you be recording an episode of CAGcast during E3 week and is there any possibility of you guys streaming from your ihpones on something like justinTV while visiting the different booths?

Congratz Wombat.

I find myself agreeing with CheapyD on how Kotaku should have handled the WB. Surprisingly good show without Wombat. I'll look forward to the audioboos and post E3 show.

Microsoft will promote kinect. no price drop.
Sony won't mention the hacking problems and hide behind new lame exclusives (MGS5, Ratchet and Clank BS)
Nintendo... who gives a f* about nintendo??? I wouldnt get my hopes up over their new console. It's Wii v2. The Wii was succesful, I wouldnt expect anything but more of the same buisness model/crap out of them. probably just HD, maybe a new color and some motion control similar to kinect/move. Throw in a new Zelda to get people excited for launch. ZZZZzzz

Nice show, guys. Looking forward to meeting y'all at E3.

Kingdoms of Amalar: Reckoning was shown at PAX East and it looked pretty damned good in its early state. (It's actually available to watch online here.) 3rd person, very action oriented, flowing beautifully in its pre-Alpha state. They didn't touch much on the RPG elements or story elements much, though they did mention...

...that you die at the beginning of the game. And come back to life. The first person ever to do so (or first in thousands of years, I can't recall the presentation.)

38 Studios and Big Huge Games has quite a dream-team for Kingdoms. You've got Todd Rolston, lead designer on Morrowind and Oblivion. You've got Todd McFarlane, artist, writer, and creator of Spawn on the art end. And then you've got author R.A. Salvatore, who penned all those very popular Drizzt Do'Urden Forgotten Realms novels, as lead writer. All organized by the bloody-sock Red Sox pitching master himself, Curt Schilling. (Granted, not who you'd expect heading a game company, but Schill loves games and wasted no time getting involved once he retired.)

Very exited to see whats announced at the Microsoft press conference. Is it too early for them to talk about Skype integration w/ xbl video chat / improved live chat quality? Hope they talk about undead labs upcoming xbox exclusive MMO. Also am I the only person that wants a new xbox console? I'm itchin to buy new hardware and if they don't at least tease something I might just have to buy nintendo's new weird console.

WHAT? Cheapy never played Zelda OoT and Shippy never played The Darkness? This must be fixed!

Btw, great show this week but I missed Wombat.

[quote name='DarkZion']That's probably the most boring and unoriginal title used since I've started listening to the show. But I still look forward to listening as always. Thanks![/QUOTE]
Yeah, sounds like Wombat is not on the show this week, hence the boring name...

Wait, wait. The site that wrangled the exclusive and journalisticly questionable Modern Warfare 3 stuff--and who knows how that was shopped around--is bitching about other sites getting legitimate exclusives? Right. Glad I stopped reading Kotaku a long time ago.

no bioshock infinite at your T2 appointment?

Hitman blood money spoiler.
The person who injects you is your handler.

Vita is Latin for Life, pronounced 'We-ta'. Probably some sort of play on Sony Life or something like that.

Edit, It can also mean to shun or to avoid which is kinda funny.

I feel sorry for those who pre-ordered L.A. Noire to get an exclusive case and now have to pay the same 800 points to get the other dlc as well. Sure, if they dont want the suits, they can just buy the individual cases and save a whole dollar, but that's not exactly rewarding those who committed to the purchase ahead of time. The Rockstar Pass should have been given to all pre-orderers (or even all those who just bought the game new).

When you're at the Microsoft press event, hound them about the true Kingdom Under Fire sequel they promised us a long time ago.

I just want to say I took a huge Cheapy D esqe dump. This tird was like a foot long and perhaps not the size of a normal soup can, but you know those small cans of campbells? Yeah. The girth was equal to that. I'm a new man.

I'm sitting here lisening to you guys talk about the Microsoft Conference at 30:11 and just saying "SKYPE..SKYPE..THERE GONA ADD..SKYPE!!" over and over lol

[quote name='Viper139']I'm sitting here lisening to you guys talk about the Microsoft Conference at 30:11 and just saying "SKYPE..SKYPE..THERE GONA ADD..SKYPE!!" over and over lol[/QUOTE]

THAT's what I was trying to think of! Also, what about YouTube with the ability to record and post videos with Kinect?

Eh miss the Wombat. He helps make the show. Provides some color to the brown of Cheapie and the white of Shipwreck. (I've listened to the show enough. I know Wombat likes compliments. )

Cheapie will hate Wii2. I'm going to make that prediction in honor of the show's analyst prediction segment.

Let's face it. Wii2 will be new ways to play Nintendo games. Nintendo will hope 3rd parties get on board, and will have the usual suspects on board for launch and the first year or two. Madden, Ridge Racer, a fighting game, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic, and other crap. They'll partner with a 3rd to make a rushed launch game or rushed port of a Xbox/Ps3 game. LIke you guys said - Call of Duty : Black Ops probably. Gotta be at least one version behind the other consoles. ;)

But the real 3rd parties (ones who make the bigger badder more desirable 3rd party games) want to release games on all platforms and they won't take advantage of the rumored touchscreen controllers and other unique Wii2 features except as an afterthought. Therefore what's the point?

Cheapie (and everyone else) will get all 3rd party games on the Xbox still. That's where their friends are. That's the platform that gets the most love still for multi-platform games. Wii2 will have the shittiest version of multi-platform games. And even if Nintendo has a exact copy of Xbox Live folks won't buy it. They don't need 2 Xbox Lives even though they say they always wanted Nintendo online to be like Xbox Live.

Nintendo 1st party doesn't make shooters and open world M games. Never have. So no hope there either.

It comes down to if you are a Nintendo fan or not. Do you like their 1st party games? IF so Wii2 is interesting. For others I don't see anything changing. Although I guess Wii2 is interesting too for those non-fans because they get a very early preview of what is coming on the next 360 and PS3. MS and Sony will surely copy anything that proves to be a hot idea.

And let's not forget that, while the Wii2 may get 3rd party multiplatform ports, it will only last ~2 years before the next Xbox and PS3 come out and they'll be back to the even worse scenario today where the Wii gets a different game than the other platforms.

Nintendo will probably do enough to get its fans and those looking for new gameplay experiences to buy their stuff for another few years. I truly expect some cool fun sht to come out. And I like playing a good chunk of Nintendo's 1st party stuff. But don't expect the Wii2 to be an all around multi-platform direct competitor platform. You'll be disappointed.

Can't wait for BF3!!!!!

On the CAGCast last night - confirmation today from CD Projekt - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is coming to 360.

Cheapy, if you were THAT excited about Skyrim (haven't heard you so psyched in a while), you've got another game to get excited about now.

[quote name='Kylearan']On the CAGCast last night - confirmation today from CD Projekt - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is coming to 360.

Cheapy, if you were THAT excited about Skyrim (haven't heard you so psyched in a while), you've got another game to get excited about now.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm excited for both.

Shipwreck/Boatcrash -

Why would you buy an iPhone 4? You do know that a new iPhone is suppose to come out likeeeeeeee now!

[quote name='mrangrypants']Vita is Latin for Life, pronounced 'We-ta'. Probably some sort of play on Sony Life or something like that.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing Sony also liked the similarity between Vita and Vaio.

Unfortunately that is also a stupid name.

My interest in Noire is waning as well. It's nowhere near the game described in the early reviews that called it a masterpiece. The big problems I see are:

1) Phelps is an ass. I can't stand his pompous demeanor.
2) Why is every street crime resolved by shooting the dude? Shouldn't there be a benefit to taking the person into custody? Is it even possible? An early mission had you tackle a suspect, but I haven't been able to do that in the game. Besides, it's much easier to just shoot em in the head & call it a day.
3) Great facial animation but the heads bob around like the marionettes in the old Thunderbirds show.
4) Interrogation is really ....odd. One second you are nice and polite & then if you choose doubt you are suddenly yelling 'YOU MURDEROUS fuckING SCUMBAG I KNOW YOU DID IT!!!!'. It's really jarring. Doubt should be more about, well... doubt. And less about accusation.
5) The overarching story is really thin, if there even is one. Is it the flashbacks? The newspaper stories? I have no idea, and it hurts the game to lack a solid story with character progression.

Mafia 2 over L.A. Noire? Man, as time goes on, I'm coming to realize that I'm quite literally the complete opposite of Shipwreck when it comes to anything gaming-related. Except for the Skyrim hype :cool:

Anyways, haven't said it anywhere else yet, but congrats Wombat! Missed him on the show this week.

Really can't wait for E3 week. Already been lots of great news (MGS HD collection and Witcher 2 for 360!!!).

Was the Ghostbusters intro music because of Wombat's new baby? Elliot's initials are EGN, close enough to Egon. I had already put the Egon associaton to his initials before I started the CAGcast so it was a little weird when the Ghostbusters theme started.

Maybe I'm just seeing weird name associations as we have twins on the way, due in September.

You guys have great timing when talking about how PSN/PS Store will be down for much longer and then having them come back the next day.

Microsoft really needs to overhaul their dashboard to add some real social networking functionality (Twitter/Facebook apps don't count). It's slow and so disconnected in many ways (No way to get from your games library to the marketplace or offer all of the information from the marketplace page in your games library? Really?). Make it easy for me to see which of my friends have been playing the new multiplayer game since the only current way is extremely clunky (Looking at their achievements). Sony could do some of the same things.

Good show.

Want to get the most out of LA Noire? Look at it as more of a highly interactive movie instead of a game. There really isn't a lot of game here, but it's very well made.

[quote name='bickle']My interest in Noire is waning as well. It's nowhere near the game described in the early reviews that called it a masterpiece. The big problems I see are:

1) Phelps is an ass. I can't stand his pompous demeanor.
2) Why is every street crime resolved by shooting the dude? Shouldn't there be a benefit to taking the person into custody? Is it even possible? An early mission had you tackle a suspect, but I haven't been able to do that in the game. Besides, it's much easier to just shoot em in the head & call it a day.
3) Great facial animation but the heads bob around like the marionettes in the old Thunderbirds show.
4) Interrogation is really ....odd. One second you are nice and polite & then if you choose doubt you are suddenly yelling 'YOU MURDEROUS fuckING SCUMBAG I KNOW YOU DID IT!!!!'. It's really jarring. Doubt should be more about, well... doubt. And less about accusation.
5) The overarching story is really thin, if there even is one. Is it the flashbacks? The newspaper stories? I have no idea, and it hurts the game to lack a solid story with character progression.[/QUOTE]
1.) He's pompous? I think he's just a straight edge cop in a city of cops that are crooked and taking bribes from one place or another.
2.) These are often pretty lame, no arguing that, I guess they needed something else to offer outside of the main game? IDK
3.) I don't know what you are talking about. It's not just the facial animations that were mapped it was the entire head and body along with the face movement. Animation across the board is superb, imho.
4.) The people are lying and hindering an police investigation, not something that should be taken lightly. The flow is sometimes a smidge odd though.
5.) From what I have heard the over arching story picks up during the last 1/4 of the game.

Seems to me like LA Noir is another over hyped over rated game, GTA IV anyone? I remember getting GTA IV on launch and feeling ripped off and I have been hearing a lot of complaints about LA Noir that GTA IV used to have. GTA IV had a lot of problems but not many reviewers seemed to point them out and it seems LA Noir is getting the same preferential treatment. I have not played the game and I probably won't until it's cheap because I have a feeling that I'll feel let down by all of the hype and high ratings the game has received.

hey Cheapy you should make people sign up for CAG in order to get into the E3 Party (if they don't have one). I know the party is for CAGs but if you can get people to sign up, or follow you guys on Twitter... a good party can make that happen.

Oh man, I'm really worried about this year's CAG party. I looked at the group page, and it may be possible than more the twice the maximum capacity will be present.

Hey, Shipwreck, Gearbox was always the developer for Colonial Marines but Sega pulled their funding on it a couple years back. It was supposedly a squad based shooter back then. You were confusing it with Aliens RPG, I believe.

And Cheapy, make sure to stop by the xbox booth and say hi to Bridget ONeill!

What was spoiled? Hitman? If you haven't played it yet, it's a little late to be worried about spoilers.

[quote name='bickle']What was spoiled? Hitman? If you haven't played it yet, it's a little late to be worried about spoilers.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...I actually just got Hitman a few weeks ago.

I think it's obscure enough that spoiling it is possible. It's not quite FFVII.

bread's done
Back