Upgrading the hard drive: A cautionary tale

robbyH

CAGiversary!
Well, I took advantage of the Western Digital hard drive sale at BB (640 gigs- actually it was 500 in the box but it had a 640 gig drive) for $65. I formated it and replaced it. But I accentendly re-signed for the welcome back PS+. It wiped out my entire download history, after a hour of fighting with Sony, nothing can be done. I'm starting from scratch.

But be warned sony, I will take advantage of EVERY THING I CAN! You robbed me of many PSN games, I WILL GET THEM BACK, BY HOOK OR BY CROOK!

List of the honored dead.

Space Ace
Digger (not going to miss this one)
Dragon's Lair
Street Fighter II HD
Zen Pinball
Comet Crash
SuperStardust
Spelunker
Space Invaders Infinity Gems
Super Puzzle Fighter II HD
Pixel Junk Shooter (I and II), Monsters and Racer
Joust, MKII, RAMPAGE, Super Sprint
Astro Tripper
Command and Conquer Red Alert III
tekken: Dark Resurrection
(PsI)
Crash Bandicoot I, II, III
Final Fantasy VII, VIII
King of Fighters 94 and 99
Leauge Bowling,
PSP
Persona III
Capcom Puzzle World
Midway arcade treasures.

At least I can start my trophy collection all over again.

Doesn't really make sense. Your downloads are tied to your PSN account. If you login to your PSN account your downloads should still be in the download list. Your trophies should also be intact. Either we're missing something from this "cautionary tale" or this is some weird isolated incident

[quote name='ssjmichael']Doesn't really make sense. Your downloads are tied to your PSN account. If you login to your PSN account your downloads should still be in the download list.[/QUOTE]

When I accendently re-signed up for the free 30 days ps+, it cleared my dl list on the PSN. I'm working blank. Just a lesson, BACK UP YOUR DRIVE BEFORE UPGRADING! I wish I could but I no matter what program I used, I couldn't format the USB drive to FAT 32.

[quote name='robbyH']When I accendently re-signed up for the free 30 days ps+, it cleared my dl list on the PSN. I'm working blank. Just a lesson, BACK UP YOUR DRIVE BEFORE UPGRADING! I wish I could but I no matter what program I used, I couldn't format the USB drive to FAT 32.[/QUOTE]

I still don't get it. Did you get all those games from PS+? Did you change your PSN ID? Doesnt Windows support FAT 32 formatting?

[quote name='robbyH']When I accendently re-signed up for the free 30 days ps+, it cleared my dl list on the PSN. I'm working blank. Just a lesson, BACK UP YOUR DRIVE BEFORE UPGRADING! I wish I could but I no matter what program I used, I couldn't format the USB drive to FAT 32.[/QUOTE]

So you used the same exact PSN account as before? If so, why would it allow you to re-sign up for PSN+? It would show that you already sign up. Again, something doesn't add up here and right now I'm leaning towards user error

This is difficult to follow:
So, you accidentally signed up for the 30 free days of Ps+, and your download history was wiped out? While I detest the lack of any help from Sony whenever I've had a problem, I'm going to list the steps that are obvious in this whole process:

1. Back up before anything is changed (if you skip this, you're already asking for trouble)
2. Insert new hard-drive.
3. Re-download everything in your download history before doing ANYTHING else.
4. Begin adding any items you want.

So, where did you go wrong?

This will format large drives to FAT32. (probably not much help now but still)

I'd like more information as well to see if we can help you out.

I upgraded my hard drive right around the time that PSN went down and the only thing which I backed-up was game saves because I figured that I'd just re-download all of my PSN stuff.

And a month or so later after all of the network hacking crap I was able to log in with my account and everything was in my download list as it should be.

I don't understand how you even managed to invoke the free Plus twice as it should have spent that redemption token already given that you were using the same account.

Have you tried formatting the current drive again, perhaps even from service mode, and seeing if applying your account info after doing that returns your download history? That's what I would do as you can't really get more screwed at this point. (backup your saves first of course)

[quote name='Narcisstalker']This will format large drives to FAT32. (probably not much help now but still)

I'd like more information as well to see if we can help you out.

I upgraded my hard drive right around the time that PSN went down and the only thing which I backed-up was game saves because I figured that I'd just re-download all of my PSN stuff.

And a month or so later after all of the network hacking crap I was able to log in with my account and everything was in my download list as it should be.

I don't understand how you even managed to invoke the free Plus twice as it should have spent that redemption token already given that you were using the same account.

Have you tried formatting the current drive again, perhaps even from service mode, and seeing if applying your account info after doing that returns your download history? That's what I would do as you can't really get more screwed at this point. (backup your saves first of course)[/QUOTE]

How do you get to service mode?

And the moron from Sony said that the email adress that was attached to my PSN account was started on Nov 2009 and the only thing it showed I bought was the free PS+. I'm fucked

[quote name='robbyH']How do you get to service mode?[/QUOTE]

*Backup anything you care about first*

While the PS3 is off press and hold the power button on the front and it will turn on and eventually turn back off.

Press and hold the power button on the front a second time and it will power on and soon you'll hear two beeps in quick succession. Once those two beeps occur release the power button and it will boot into service mode.

I'm trying to find an accurate description of the service mode options but I just keep ending up with tutorials on hacking the bloody system instead. You can totally wipe out everything and some options require a firmware PUP file on a USB drive so be careful. Definitely back-up everything you care about first and do not interrupt any of the operations.

yeah theres got to be more to this story since your dl list is connected to your id which the only way youd lose it is if sony banned your id or got rid of it or something. or did you forget to backup your harddrive before changing drives and then in doing so not have your logins and passwords to get your items back?]

[quote name='lokizz']yeah theres got to be more to this story since your dl list is connected to your id which the only way youd lose it is if sony banned your id or got rid of it or something.[/QUOTE]

Maybe in the pre-hack era, but who knows post hack.

OP, I know this is going to sound strange, but PM me your PSN id and password. I'll create another account on my PS3 and verify whether I can see your stuff or not. After that, I will delete/deactivate the account from my system.

I understand if you don't trust anyone to do that. Feel free to delete any cc/personal info too (though I assure you I won't look at it at all)

My download list is just in wack. All my psn stuff is in front instead of it all dated properly. It takes awhile to get to the part where I actually bought things.

#1 - You overpaid for your hard drive.

#2 - You should ALWAYS back up before upgrading a drive.

#3 - How can there be no history of your PSN purchases of games for your user account from Sony?

Epic failure. Upgrading your hard drive is an independent event. I have done 5 of them and have had zero issues. Whatever you did to mess up your PSN account is independent of that. Trying to find causality with the hard drive upgrade is like trying to find out why you are still living after the rapture.

Sounds like your account failure would have happened regardless.

[quote name='GTmaster39']I don't think we're getting the full story.[/QUOTE]
It's the story as I know it. What Sony knows is a different question.

[quote name='ssjmichael']OP, I know this is going to sound strange, but PM me your PSN id and password. I'll create another account on my PS3 and verify whether I can see your stuff or not. After that, I will delete/deactivate the account from my system.

I understand if you don't trust anyone to do that. Feel free to delete any cc/personal info too (though I assure you I won't look at it at all)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ssjmichael']OP, I know this is going to sound strange, but PM me your PSN id and password. I'll create another account on my PS3 and verify whether I can see your stuff or not. After that, I will delete/deactivate the account from my system.[/QUOTE]
While you're at it I'll take your SSN, name, address, banking information, etc

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']#1 - You overpaid for your hard drive.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he overpaid. There is one 500 GB HDD on newegg for 55 plus $5 shipping. Most of the rest are $60 plus $5 shipping. And if he did end up with a 640 GB HDD instead then $65 is a good price.

OP, as far as your issue, I don't think you are understanding what everyone is saying. The consensus is that you did something wrong, not Sony. Your download history is tied to your PSN ID. If you log in with your PSN ID and password, the history should be there.

Did you buy those game with a different PSN ID that you forgot about? Or possibly with a game share account that you forgot about?

I have never had PS+ but I can't believe that signing up for it would clear your download history.

What about putting your old (pre-upgrade) HDD back in the PS3? At least you'll have your games and maybe you can figure out your issue by looking at your profiles.

I signed up for PS+ 2 days ago and my download history still goes all the way back to 12/02/2007. So as far as PS+ deleting your download history, it doesn't make any sense.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']While you're at it I'll take your SSN, name, address, banking information, etc[/QUOTE]

I've been here for 4 years. I'm obviously not going to do anything with his stuff.

I just find it very hard to believe his games are gone. I've never heard of anyone losing their games in a situation like this. Forgive me for trying to assist him the best way I know how

Gonzo was always the trouble maker.

I think I know what your problem is robby. Did you make a new PSN name when you logged in to go with your new harddrive?

[quote name='bjstucker']Gonzo was always the trouble maker.

I think I know what your problem is robby. Did you make a new PSN name when you logged in to go with your new harddrive?[/QUOTE]

I think I might, is there anyway to change that?

[quote name='ssjmichael']logout of PSN, login with your old PSN[/QUOTE]

I have. several times. When the sony guy found the e-mail account linked with my PSN account it showed no downloads.

Little off topic but do you have to format the new hard drive before putting it in the PS3? Why can't the PS3 just do that. If PS3 cannot do that, how can someone go about formating the new internal hard drive? All my PCs are laptops and no towers.

[quote name='laaj']Little off topic but do you have to format the new hard drive before putting it in the PS3? Why can't the PS3 just do that. If PS3 cannot do that, how can someone go about formating the new internal hard drive? All my PCs are laptops and no towers.[/QUOTE]

Only if you want to backup your current ps3 hd. Put it in the ps3 and it takes care of that.

Again, the hd upgrade has nothing to do with your account issues. Try putting back in your old hd. At that point you can do a backup & restore.

bread's done
Back