Amazon Dad & Grad Sale Final Week - PS3, 360, PC, Accessories

C'mon Square. You just reposted five or more other threads. ;)

There are more games and accessories in the PSP and 3DS sections. I propose this become the repository for all of the Dad & Grad video game deals.

Next week is "Next Gen Consoles and PC."

[quote name='thelonepig']C'mon Square. You just reposted five or more other threads. ;)

There are more games and accessories in the PSP and 3DS sections. I propose this become the repository for all of the Dad & Grad video game deals.

Next week is "Next Gen Consoles and PC."[/QUOTE]

Duly noted my friend of bacon.

[quote name='beard_of_zeus']Picked up Professor Layton and the Curious Village, that's the one from the trilogy that I'm missing. Thanks for the heads up, OP![/QUOTE]

Never got around to picking up the first one? ;D

Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection is fantastic. Well worth $20 (I bought release day). One of the best RPGs I've played, plus After Years is pretty damn good. Brutal at times with the random encounters, but still good.

Teetering about 3rd Birthday. I love Parasite Eve and I dunno if it'll ever be under $20 again...

Also considering The 3rd Birthday, but i have never played the second game, and hardly remember the original, as i think i only watched someone play it back when it first released... I still
own a hard copy of it though...

I loved the first professor layton but I haven't played the others yet. As for third bitlrthday, I'm going to wait till I can download it to the ps vita. The obvious control patch it would get would really help this game out. Oh and guys BIRTH BY SLEEP RULES ! Re coded I consider the bastard child of the series. I just looked up the ending and secret ending on YouTube insted of buying it

Hm... Re: Coded at $20...:whistle2:k

I'm not sure if I should bite. 358/2 left a bad impression on me (though the story at the end was simply fantastic).

So, couple of things here:

• I'm extremely tempted by 3rd Birthday at that price, but all I keep hearing is that the gameplay is seriously gimped on the PSP b/c of the lack of a 2nd analog stick. I'd hate to buy the UMD version only to find out that the digital version gets an update on the NGP to incorporate the extra analog stick. Any thoughts?
  • In terms of the core Final Fantasy IV experience, which is the best version to play: the PSP edition (updated sprites, lower difficulty, less random battles) or the DS edition (3D graphics, dungeon maps, enhanced difficulty). Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hope everybody's dad is a Square-Enix fan!

This dad is interested in Kingdom Hearts but it seems like it can go a lot lower than $20.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Hope everybody's dad is a Square-Enix fan!

This dad is interested in Kingdom Hearts but it seems like it can go a lot lower than $20.[/QUOTE]

If you're referring to Birth By Sleep (PSP), then $20 is a steal--it's one of the best games on the PSP, and easily the best looking. Also, it's got a lot of content, and the gameplay can be as deep as you want it to be.

[quote name='AwRy108']If you're referring to Birth By Sleep (PSP), then $20 is a steal--it's one of the best games on the PSP, and easily the best looking. Also, it's got a lot of content, and the gameplay can be as deep as you want it to be.[/QUOTE]
Is the gameplay pretty similar to Crisis Core? That's been my favorite (non-port) PSP game yet.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Is the gameplay pretty similar to Crisis Core? That's been my favorite (non-port) PSP game yet.[/QUOTE]

It's an action-RPG, so the game shares a few similarities with Crisis Core; and, like Crisis Core, the game was adapted well to the PSP's control scheme, so you won't spend much time wrestling with buttons.

The game has a required install, with the largest option being almost 900MB's of data; but it's so worth it, especially once you see how gorgeous it is and how quick the load times are.

I'm not going to try and explain the combat system, simply because I'd never do it justice. If I were you, just head over to GameTrailers.com and watch their review of the game. That said, I'm positive that if you enjoyed Crisis Core, you'll love Birth By Sleep. Love. It.

[quote name='AwRy108']So, couple of things here:

• I'm extremely tempted by 3rd Birthday at that price, but all I keep hearing is that the gameplay is seriously gimped on the PSP b/c of the lack of a 2nd analog stick. I'd hate to buy the UMD version only to find out that the digital version gets an update on the NGP to incorporate the extra analog stick. Any thoughts?
  • In terms of the core Final Fantasy IV experience, which is the best version to play: the PSP edition (updated sprites, lower difficulty, less random battles) or the DS edition (3D graphics, dungeon maps, enhanced difficulty). Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
[/QUOTE]I asked the exact same question concerning FFIV back when it hit $19.99 during one of Amazon's Goldbox days a couple of weeks back, and I got what I think is a great answer:

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I own FFIV DS, and it's indeed much more difficult than the SNES and GBA. Honestly, I own all of them and it's not even my favorite FF, it's just that solid. The DS version looks great with the graphics and voice acting. But if you need to choose I'd say the PSP. I haven't picked it up yet, but it does include a lot of extras including the After Years game which was originally only available on Wii Marketplace. Plus a brand new small scope game to bridge the two, a character skin for Dissidia 012, and I'm sure some other extras I'm forgetting.

You'd probably find a good deal on FFIV PSP come Black Friday if you can wait. But I'd also expect you'd find some similar massive deal on the DS version by then, it's been out much longer.[/QUOTE]Hopefully that helps you like it did me. :D

[quote name='Vigilante']I asked the exact same question concerning FFIV back when it hit $19.99 during one of Amazon's Goldbox days a couple of weeks back, and I got what I think is a great answer:

Hopefully that helps you like it did me. :D[/QUOTE]

It did, actually--no way in hell I'm getting the DS version if it's designed to be even more difficult than previous iterations... Gonna get the PSP version, but I think $20 is still more than I'm willing to pay.

Thanks for your help!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Is the gameplay pretty similar to Crisis Core? That's been my favorite (non-port) PSP game yet.[/QUOTE]

It's better than Crisis Core. imo. I played through all of Birth by Sleep and am about halfway through Crisis Core and I think Birth by Sleep's combat is far better. Birth by Sleep's combat is actually real time as opposed to the pseudo real time used in Crisis Core. The movement is a lot more fluid on top of having a more proper dodge/parry/block system. You don't have to deal with cut scenes every 30 seconds during combat like you do in Crisis Core.

In general, I think if you like Crisis Core combat you will love Birth by Sleep combat.

I want to get the 3rd Birthday and Birth by Sleep... the thing holding me back is the possibility of Square releasing PS3 Remaster versions.

[quote name='Rychy']I want to get the 3rd Birthday and Birth by Sleep... the thing holding me back is the possibility of Square releasing PS3 Remaster versions.[/QUOTE]
Same here. And if any company would do it it would be Square.

[quote name='genfuyung']Same here. And if any company would do it it would be Square.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. lol. Square sure does like to resell their games to us.

[quote name='Rychy']Yeah. lol. Square sure does like to resell their games to us.[/QUOTE]

Everybody needs multiple versions of the same game.

It's just the right thing to do. :D

[/QUOTE]

I played a bit of 3rd Birthday and found it pretty boring and repetitive. I think a second analog stick would have helped, but not enough for me to want to finish the game.

As far as FFIV, it is a tough choice. I like the look of the DS version, but the PSP sprites do look pretty good, and this version definitely has far more content. I would opt for the PSP version.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect PSP games to be updated to take advantage of the PSV's second stick. They're 2 wholly different systems even thought the PSV can play both. They're have to port 3rd Birthday to PSV to make it take advantage of the extra stick.

[quote name='topplehat']I played a bit of 3rd Birthday and found it pretty boring and repetitive. I think a second analog stick would have helped, but not enough for me to want to finish the game.

As far as FFIV, it is a tough choice. I like the look of the DS version, but the PSP sprites do look pretty good, and this version definitely has far more content. I would opt for the PSP version.[/QUOTE]

Any version of FFIV is a good one ^___^

I would assume anything with Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy in their name will automatically become greatest hits so I wouldn't fault anyone waiting for further drops.

[quote name='DQT']I would assume anything with Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy in their name will automatically become greatest hits so I wouldn't fault anyone waiting for further drops.[/QUOTE]

Very good point. Especially since Final Fantasy 1, 2, and Crisis Core can all be found for $10 new now.

[quote name='topplehat']I played a bit of 3rd Birthday and found it pretty boring and repetitive. I think a second analog stick would have helped, but not enough for me to want to finish the game.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that PS Vita will play PSP games with dual sticks -- the games don't need to be patched. The official FAQ on playstation.com says that Sony is looking in to a UMD-to-digital crossgrade process, but there's no promise.

Q: Can PS Vita users continue using their save data for PSP games that they have also downloaded from PlayStation Store to PS Vita?
A: We are looking into the opportunity to do so.

Q: PS Vita doesn't support UMD but do you have any plan to introduce peripherals like "UMD readers" for PS Vita?
A: We do not have plans to introduce such peripherals at this point in time.

Q: I have UMD games but do I need to buy them again from PlayStation Store to play the same game on PS Vita?
A: We will consider every possibility for support on bought UMD games but we have nothing to comment at this point in time.

Q: Will you bring all UMD games to the new game medium or on the PlayStation Store for PS Vita?
A: SCE with the support of third party developers and publishers have been offering select UMD titles on PlayStation Store and will continue our effort to deliver these content in the form of game medium for PS Vita going forward. However, we will need to clear all copyright / legal related issues and due to this not all software titles will become available on PS Vita. We will announce details for each title when ready.

updated with new sale

kind of disappointing from the previous sale with the handheld games, but i guess its something for those who were looking

[quote name='anbu-black-ops']Tomb Raider Trilogy
by Square Enix
List Price: $39.99
Price: $36.54

lol.[/QUOTE]
Just Cause 2
List Price: 29.99
Sale Price: 29.99
Hope it's an error, I've been waiting for it to hit $20.

[quote name='Tsnake617']Just Cause 2
List Price: 29.99
Sale Price: 29.99
Hope it's an error, I've been waiting for it to hit $20.[/QUOTE]
Especially since it was $27.xx up until this sale broke.
Amazon video-game fail.
Shock.:roll:

I saw these sale prices last night and just hope the real sale prices just hadn't been implemented yet. Oh well, nothing for me. I should have gotten FFIV.

bread's done
Back