PUR Steal of the Week - 1000 points for used Halo 3 at $4.99

Thanks for posting, OP, but this is getting really despicable, the types of coupons GS is expecting us to pay for with points now. I mean, a guaranteed TIV on a game??? Come on, GS; this is a new low for an already unscrupulous company.

So basically....your using the points you either Paid or Traded to get, just to get a guaranteed value on something so that you can give them more money?

Kudos Gamestop

[quote name='strait edge follower']If I had thisbgame I would jump on this. Could you stack this with the 50 % extra deal ?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they scan the game, then scan the coupon and the computer adjusts the trade in to $35 total. Maybe you can stack PUR, but I doubt it.

before anyone bites on this, gamestop is already running a 50 percent trade in bonus, couple that with your 10 percent PUR bonus for 60 percent bonus. i'm not sure the TIV of DKC, but i'm sure you'd already be getting close to this $35.

also.... will they ever have another decent "steal" of the week? the $5 and $10 off used games coupons were the only decent ones they had, and i missed those. now I have 17k points and just waiting for a decent "steal" of the week, but looks like its never gonna happen.

Well the extra 50% probably brings it close to this right now, yeah... but I'll think about getting this coupon anyway. It doesn't expire for about 3 more weeks, and I won't be done with the game until then. Or at least get it back from my friend by then, haha.

As a general rule, with very rare exception, you can never stack promos at GS. The only thing you can stack is your Edge/Powerup card, and lately for online deals, even that won't stack sometimes. To stack two promos, such as the 50% and this coupon, would almost certainly require an employee override, and your chances of that are probably pretty slim, and very YMMV.

I don't know if some of you are referring to my post, but I wasn't suggesting that you could combine this with the 50%, i was saying the 50 percent plus edge may already get you near $35, making this coupon useless.

This is the most stupid promo ever for Power Up Rewards. They should offer that instantly to every PUR member as a printable coupon. Whomever thought of this concept at the headquarters of Gamestop should be shot for insulting the loyal Gamestop customers who been with Edge/PUR cards for 5+ years.

Unless you are butt buddies with a manager who doesn't mind doing an override against store policy, this does not stack with any promo.

I really should of burned my points on the cheap $10 coupons a month ago, but for some reason I wanted to hold out hope for a deal on the $10-$25 off any item coupons. Should of known they'd resort to making stupid deal after stupid deal. Even better, right now on the poweruprewards site...the banner says the DKC coupon is only 10 points. Guess thats one way to bait people to buy it.

^^I did get one of the $10 used game coupons back when that deal was on. Problem is, it expires soon and I have no idea what to buy with it. There aren't any used games I would want besides De Blob 2 for PS3 and that isn't available within 100 miles of me.

As for this "promo", oh wow, I read that title totally wrong. I thought you got $35 for trading DKC Returns and a 1000 point PUR bonus for trading it! That would be the only thing that would make sense after all. But since this is the coupon of the week, I get it that they are charging you 1000 points to get that TiV. Uh, no thanks GS... If it was a 1000 point bonus I'd be slightly tempted as I have the game and have never played it (got it for $25).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reminder, io. I still have one of those to use (used one on Batman GOTY during power sale), and yeah, no idea what I'd want to put it toward. Probably some first-party Nintendo game that never drops in price (NSMB, or Mario Party DS).

That's no deal!!?? Those guys are high if they think people will pay for that. DKCR that was a fun game but got a bit too difficult for my impatient ass....just like the arcade Donkey Kong when I was a kid.

The coupons for money OFF of games are ok and they're actually pretty easy to get. But these...nobody should be supporting these.

If you buy one of these you can consider yourself officially contributing to the downfall of our country. (maybe that's a bit much, but still).

This would be alright if you got the game for less than $35 and if the coupon didn't have to cost 1000 points. Bring back the weekly coupons that were bonus on trades and percents off specific platforms of years before.

Ugh. This is why I avoid Gamestop as much as possible. That and I bought some stuff in April, got sent the wrong game for one of them (which they couldn't replace), returned it and have been waiting about a month for them to refund my payment to my credit card. Gooooooooooo crappy service.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']This would be alright if you got the game for less than $35 and if the coupon didn't have to cost 1000 points. Bring back the weekly coupons that were bonus on trades and percents off specific platforms of years before.[/QUOTE]

And here's the problem, the coupons have already become a very rare thing, not even sure when the last one was. Best Buy has already done the same thing, you now have to pay for their coupons in their mag...seems like GS is going that route making you use your reward points.

Lame, very very lame.

I used my $10 coupon from the promo a while back just this weekend on a mint condition copy of House of the Dead Overkill.

What annoys me is they are giving you a $35 trade in after the coupon yet they are still selling the game for $45. So basically it's still a $10 profit on their part for every used copy sold.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']What annoys me is they are giving you a $35 trade in after the coupon yet they are still selling the game for $45. So basically it's still a $10 profit on their part for every used copy sold.[/QUOTE]

That's why I never ever do business with gamestop. Their trade in values are horrible even for high demand recently released games and cant compare to other trade places. That and you plainly see what they're selling used copies for which also cant compare to other spots.

yeah technically we used to get most of this stuff anyways without having to use points, there used to be the weekly coupons and also used deal of the week, both of those now gone for this sort of crap.

have to disagree with saying $35 is a bad TIV for this game though, amazon themselves are only doing $30 (which isn't necessarily bad either), just can't see complaining about $35, when gamestop is only actually selling it for $41 or less after power up rewards 10 percent off, or possibly someone buying it later on during a b2g1 or something else.

[quote name='io']^^I did get one of the $10 used game coupons back when that deal was on. Problem is, it expires soon and I have no idea what to buy with it. There aren't any used games I would want besides De Blob 2 for PS3 and that isn't available within 100 miles of me.

[/QUOTE]

Ask your local store to transfer in a copy.
It's worth a try, I've had them ship from many states away twice.

The coupon is showing up as 10 points for me. I purchased one in case I find a cheap copy locally. It's not a great offer, but it isn't nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

10 points now for me too. But no way. I like DKC:R too much to trade it in.

You can easily earn 10 points by playing the stupid Kongregate games. Might wanna do that if you rather save your points.

Unless I'm missing something, idk why everyone's mad at this... I'm not a fan of GS either but math doesn't lie..

TIV as of 6/6/11 for DKCR = 20$ x 1.6 (with PUR 10%) = 32$ --- with the Extra 50% Trade-In
And with the coupon it's 35$... the coupon is only 10 points..

WHY EVERYONE SO MAD?!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']What annoys me is they are giving you a $35 trade in after the coupon yet they are still selling the game for $45. So basically it's still a $10 profit on their part for every used copy sold.[/QUOTE]

You are right, silly gamestop. No company should earn profit ever. Seriously, not everyone is as stupid as BBV by giving more credit than they sell the gmae for. Its not like they even sell every copy they have. Most stores already have a lot of used copies not to mention new ones taking up drawer space.

Now the coupon is definately weak (was far far far worse when it was 1000 pts), and the PUR Steal of the Week system has quickly become a joke. Those are far more sensible complaints.

Truly I don't understand the complaining either. The difference between a regular trade and a trade with the coupon is about $6.50. 1000 points for $6.50 worth of credit is a pretty damn good deal as far as PUR goes.

Either way, the coupon was fixed to cost only 10 points, so I'm in for one even though I may not have a DKC to trade. Figure it's worth picking up now just in case.

I went ahead and got it seeing as it was only 10 points. I don't even have DKCR, but I figured I could find someone who'd want the coupon.

can I send to someone else to print like? thinking about grabbing one and just giving it away on here to someone who maybe isn't a PUR member or something. or do you have to be a PUR member to use it in the first place?

I'm not sure what the normal price usually goes for,but this is a great price for a great game.

[quote name='Vap']I'm not sure what the normal price usually goes for,but this is a great price for a great game.[/QUOTE]

It's normally $9.99 used in store

Coupon knocks off $5

[quote name='shiftymcneely']I updated thread with the new "steal" of the week.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that makes sense. I saw the title and then read the first few posts and had no idea what anyone was talking about. Confused the hell out of me. :lol:

bread's done
Back