Let's talk Skyrim! (Gameplay footage inside.)

Midnight release! Can not wait. Would love to see some cameos! Like...Sugar lips! That would make my day. Have they competely ruled out any kind of multiplayer? I don't want people going into my campaign and messing things up but I'd like maybe an online arena. 1v1 kind of. Can not wait. In the GI pictures the Khajjit actually look awesome this time. I'll probably make one.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']When I saw the dragon fight I jizzed in my pants.[/QUOTE]

tmi? :lol:

Glad to see more Elder Scrolls fans. We should start a club! :bouncy:

I skipped Oblivion after putting waaaay too much time into both Daggerfall and Morrowind. I think I'll be picking up Skyrim. I haven't had a good epic in a long while. I'm one of those people that made the switch to Call of Duty.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']They're all playing Call of Duty I guess. Looks like it's just you and me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if it was Call of Duty: Skyrim I'd be interested.

Need to shoot down some dragon terrorists that are threatening America

[quote name='whoknows']Maybe if it was Call of Duty: Skyrim I'd be interested.

Need to shoot down some dragon terrorists that are threatening America[/QUOTE]

You don't get to fight Dragon terrorists unless you are a COD Elite: Dragon Hunter though.

In all seriousness though I'm fairly excited to play this game. Looking forward to getting it when it comes out.

[quote name='GOTA']Elder Scrolls is one series they never screw up. Should be great![/QUOTE]

Bethesda Game Studios doesn't screw anything up past 2005 and beyond ;)
Their publishing arm however...

[quote name='whoknows']Maybe if it was Call of Duty: Skyrim I'd be interested.

Need to shoot down some dragon terrorists that are threatening America[/QUOTE]

g14783zhrgd.jpg

[quote name='letmeinnow']I want to see the 30min demo video.
is that out anywhere?[/QUOTE]

I can't find it but I really wanna see it too! :cry:

ONLY $150 lol:

elder_scrolls_v_collectors_edition.jpg

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Details]
  • Alduin Statue: Created in conjunction with the IP Factory, this collector’s only statue stands 12” tall and is made of high quality PVC. Modeled from actual in-game 3D digital files, it showcases Alduin, the World Eater. He stands perched atop one the game’s many dragon walls that teach the player the lethal language of dragons.
  • ‘The Art of Skyrim’ Official Art Book: Featuring over 200 pages of striking, full-color illustrations, sketches and models, this stunning 9 3/8” x 12 1/8” coffee table book showcases the characters, creatures, environments, and weaponry of Skyrim. With a foreword by game director Todd Howard and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, readers will be guided through the game’s iconic visual style.
  • ‘The Making of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ DVD This documentary DVD contains exclusive, behind-the-scenes footage, including interviews with the Bethesda Game Studios team as they take you from concept to creation and provide insights into the story, gameplay, setting, legacy of the Elder Scrolls franchise, and much more.[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

[quote name='Gimgak']Bethesda Game Studios doesn't screw anything up past 2005 and beyond[/QUOTE]

Let us not forget Brink...fail.

Anyway, huge Oblivion fan and cannot wait for Skyrim. I shed a tear the first time I saw the trailer for it.

150 is a bit much however i am looking forward to getting out of the tutorial area and just exploring and finding side story... so many good memories from oblivion, like when i got out of the sewer and died to a crab not 5mins later lol

[quote name='Holesale']150 is a bit much however i am looking forward to getting out of the tutorial area and just exploring and finding side story... so many good memories from oblivion, like when i got out of the sewer and died to a crab not 5mins later lol[/QUOTE]

The secret is to attack their weak spot for massive damage

Only till this summer, after picking up Oblivion for the 3rd time and having it FINALLY click with me how awesome this game is, I am super excited for Skyrim. Bethesda hasn't done me wrong yet. Hell, I'm still playing Fallout 3 and have an untouched New Vegas just waiting for me.

Being an adult and a gamer sucks. I need more time!!!

Skyrim will be a good game in its own right, it should not be compared to other elder scrolls games since the mechanics of this game appear to be altered for a different experience.

Skyrim will allow same-sex marriage! I can't wait!

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim joins the ranks of franchises including Fable, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect by allowing players to participate in same-sex relationships. If you don't think this is particularly mind-blowing, you're not alone. Bethesda's VP of marketing and PR Pete Hines says that the company wasn't trying to be secretive about the game's gay marriages, but that they're "just not making a huge deal out of it."

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Skyrim will allow same-sex marriage! I can't wait![/QUOTE]

Nice...Can't wait to make a female character and scissor my wife.

Oblivion left a wretched taste in my mouth, but Bethesda redeemed themselves with Fallout 3. At least some of that is the fact that there was less of an emphasis on melee combat - first person melee combat very rarely works - but from what little I've read on Skyrim, it looks like they've learned a lot of lessons.

[quote name='The Crotch']Oblivion left a wretched taste in my mouth, but Bethesda redeemed themselves with Fallout 3. At least some of that is the fact that there was less of an emphasis on melee combat - first person melee combat very rarely works - but from what little I've read on Skyrim, it looks like they've learned a lot of lessons.[/QUOTE]

How did you not like Oblivion? If you didn't like that but you liked Fallout, then you must just like shooters and played Fallout like a run-and-gun type of game. IMO Oblivion and Fallout are virtually identical, the only difference is how the combat is done. Even still, while Fallout's combat was very, very good, Oblivion combat was pretty decent.

I actually usually wind up playing Oblivion halfway like a shooter. Lots of stealth and arrow-shooting in my most-played characters. If Skyrim wasn't relatively close to coming out, I'd probably do more of the same with a mage.

Yes, I tried to do as much long-range magery and stealth as possible, too.

Even so...
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']How did you not like Oblivion? If you didn't like that but you liked Fallout, then you must just like shooters and played Fallout like a run-and-gun type of game. IMO Oblivion and Fallout are virtually identical, the only difference is how the combat is done. Even still, while Fallout's combat was very, very good, Oblivion combat was pretty decent.[/QUOTE]
Well, let's see.

Completely different stat systems, completely different levelling systems (Oblivion's was a fucking nightmare), less emphasis on melee (not that I dislike melee, but it's rare to see it done well from the first-person perspective), better NPCs, a much better world map, companions, far less useless "stuff" (buffs that last for mere seconds, racial and birthsign differences that are nullified within a few levels, etc.)...

Clunky as hell inventory? Yes. Too little control over companions? Yes. Melee still sucked? Hell yes.

But still a lot better.

EDIT: Also, minus fifty points to any game that depicts all wild animals as relentless, person-hating killing machines. I give Fallout a pass because of the whole Radioactive Mutant Apocalypse thing, but Oblivion? One time I took a nice little horse ride cross-country between cities. When I got off, I had a two bandits, a wolf, and a wild boar chasing me. They all focused down my horse, then they all started focusing on me.

What the fuck is that shit?

[quote name='The Crotch']EDIT: Also, minus fifty points to any game that depicts all wild animals as relentless, person-hating killing machines. I give Fallout a pass because of the whole Radioactive Mutant Apocalypse thing, but Oblivion? One time I took a nice little horse ride cross-country between cities. When I got off, I had a two bandits, a wolf, and a wild boar chasing me. They all focused down my horse, then they all started focusing on me.

What the fuck is that shit?[/QUOTE]

I think you'll like this game better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l68RsbbgGP8&feature=related

I liked Oblivion a lot more than Fallout 3 personally. I really liked the sidequest system (most as part of guilds) and having pretty much all achievements tied to the main quest and the guild quests.

I also hated the shooting in Fallout 3 since you had to use the slow ass Vats so often. If they'd just made it play like a straight up FPS I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. Still a good game, but it didn't connect with me like Oblivion did.

The setting was also part of it as I prefer fantasy settings to a post-apocalyptic setting.

Another point to Fallout: less absurd level scaling. A bandit using a $200 knife to try and mug me for $50? Everyone in the world gets glass and daedric armour around a certain level?

[quote name='camoor']I think you'll like this game better:

Quoting this broke the thread...
[/QUOTE]
Actually, I found a mod that gave animals more realistic AI. Herbivores no longer cooperated with carnivores to murder my ass, and wolves were split between territorial (growl at you at a distance, attack if you get close) and hunting (full-on murder your ass). Dunno if it changed bears any, though. So yes, horribly unrealistic depictions of real things - meant to be taken as realistic - do piss me off a bit.

They've already mentioned that some creatures in Skyrim consider you beneath their notice, so they've raised my hopes for more nuanced creature AI.

EDIT: Alright, in case this still seems really small and petty, here's a bigger explanation for all this.

If any of you actually read the "best game ever" thread that's somewhere on the front-ish page of this subforum, you may remember that I said, "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.". This was true when Antoine de Saint-Exupery said it first, it was true when Leonard Nimoy said it in Civilization 4, and it's fucking well true now.

"So the wolves don't emulate actual wolf behavior," you oh hypothetical reader that I call upon every once-in-a-while when explaining shit like this say, "So what?"

Then why wolves at all? Why would you bother accurately recreating the appearance of a creature if you're going to have it behave exactly like a goblin or a troll or a bandit or a Daedra? Why are the wolves and boars and bears not clannfears and scamps and daedroth?

This relates to another point I'll give Fallout over Oblivion: I felt like the Enclave was actually a god damn threat. My first ever encounter with an Enclave trooper came at level fucking bullshit, only a couple sidequests in. I was just coming back from the mall for Moira - the big prize of that expedition and been a barely-functioning combat shotgun - and suddenly I'm hiding behind a giant rock with that almost broken gun, a lone Enclave scout with a laser pistol coming at me.

Compare this to the Daedra of Oblivion, who apparently come from the Underpants Gnome school of demonic invasion - open gates to Oblivion, ??????, profit! The one hundred percent scripted events of Kvatch and the end battle aside, the invading Daedra don't do... anything. They hang around outside their gates. Or they hang around in that one cave with the scamp staff thing. Even when they're supposedly threatening all the cities, they do nothing more than circle-jerk outside their little Sauron eyes.

So why not, instead of things that look like wolves and are called wolves but act nothing like wolves, and things that look like bears and are called bears but act nothing like bears, why not just scatter Daedra throughout the forests and mountains? You would be reducing the unnecessary (bringing you closer to Antoine de Saint-Exupery/Leonard Nimoy's "perfection"), reducing the amount of work Bethesda had to do (don't have to make models and textures for those creatures), and giving a sense of urgency to a plot that is sorely lacking it.

And, as a final aside, overly-aggressive depictions of carnivores and omnivores is a pet peeve of mine in games, film, and TV. It's one thing if that's the entire premise of the film/game/show - "Them!" or "Jaws" or whatever - but I'm really tired of "things with pointy teeth are douchebags" being used as a means of creating conflict out of nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back