1000 Heroz CAG Smackdown - Cutoff is 2 PM EST Daily - 1st app update coming soon

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
1000 Heroz is an awesome game from RedLynx. It's a footrace where there's a new character, course and leader board each day for 1000 days (more then 3 years). The game is uber fun.

We've got a custom CAG leader board. To join go into the options and type in CAG into the custom leader board field. Then to see the CAG standings, view the leader board for a course and then tap the arrows icon at the upper left.

Trailer:
Appshopper links:

iPhone/iPod touch ($0.99): http://appshopper.com/games/1000-heroz
iPad ($1.99): http://appshopper.com/games/1000-heroz-hd

Here's the hints and tips page which is worth reading:

http://1000heroz.com/help/

The new course is available each day just a little before 2 PM Eastern. You then have 24 hours to compete on the day's course. In addition to the leader boards, each character has a relic to collect. You get the relic if you get a Silver medal on the course. You CAN get relics for past days that you missed the competition on.

There's also gold to collect and a Gold leader board available from the Hall of Records (tap the icon at the top left of the Hall of Records). How well you do on a given run determines how much gold appears on the next run. The Hall of Records leaderboard also has a Ranking leadreboard that takes into account your performance on all courses (which you competed on). The Hall of Records also has a Stats screen with info such as relics collected, average restarts per course, stars collected, etc:

Stats screen:
imagecpg.jpg

CAG Stage Win Standings
TENCHIM86 is way in the lead. :)

The first update for 1000 Heroz was sumbitted for review on June 30th:

Latest news on 1000 Heroz, we are submitting the first update to Apple today. Among the usual improvements, tweaks, and some security concerns, we are adding Game Center achievements (yay!) and some new track elements.

Multiple Friend League support is definitely on the list for a future update.

See: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1804524&postcount=248

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 2's course is a pretty simple one with no jumps, just hills, rocks, springs and a swinging bridge. One of the keys to this course is, on the last hill, landing on the second down slope just below the hump in the middle - you'll need to jump just a little at the edge of the hill in order to land on the second down slope. Just before you touch the ground, barely tap the jump button to keep your momentum and then immediately jump again to jump over the rocks at the bottom of the hill, otherwise you'll get hung up. Note that swinging bridges are trouble if you just run across them as you'll get hung up on the other side if you do, so low jump over at least the right edge of it.

There's still time to qualify as of this posting. At the time of this CAG leaderboard screenshot, I was also #9 overall. :)

imageevx.jpg

General tip: make use of the restart button. :)

Nice job with this thread! I'm not that good at this game, but it's still fun... to try to keep out of last place. Lol.

Day 2's CAG results are in!!

imagelws.jpg

Who's that at the top??? :)

Day 3 is up and titled "Son of Og".

P.S. the HD and non-HD versions don't sync local high scores, thus why I'm simultaneously in first and not!

I had something weird happen. I had played day 3 on my iPhone and then on the way home I played on my iPad and it was an entirely different course! In fact Son of Og even had longer hair! I wish I'd taken a screen shot. I quit out and went back in and then it was the same as on my iPhone. I presume it was a level transfer hiccup, but it does bring up the possibility that someone could get bogus level info and then end up with an unrealistically short time. In this case the course may actually have been a bit harder, though.

You folks are doing better then me on this one. I haven't figured out a good approach yet. Are those with the better times taking the high or low road at the start?

[quote name='crunchewy']

You folks are doing better then me on this one. I haven't figured out a good approach yet. Are those with the better times taking the high or low road at the start?[/QUOTE]

I've been experimenting with both routes and found the high road to be a bit faster and allows you to get a good angle on the brown bouncy thing to propel you further. Then again my time is mediocre so I may be doing it wrong ;)

[quote name='crunchewy']I had something weird happen. I had played day 3 on my iPhone and then on the way home I played on my iPad and it was an entirely different course! In fact Son of Og even had longer hair! I wish I'd taken a screen shot. I quit out and went back in and then it was the same as on my iPhone. I presume it was a level transfer hiccup, but it does bring up the possibility that someone could get bogus level info and then end up with an unrealistically short time. In this case the course may actually have been a bit harder, though.

You folks are doing better then me on this one. I haven't figured out a good approach yet. Are those with the better times taking the high or low road at the start?[/QUOTE]

My approach is different than knightsdwn. I take the low road. I'm currently #1 in CAG (15.249 s).

When you go down and then up the first hill, jump enough to get over the top (3 rocks and bouncy thing) so you can land on the downward slope. That will help you maintain your momentum. Do a long jump over the gap to avoid the launch platform and rock. If you hit the right spot, you should lose only a bit of momentum. At the steep slope, do a tiny jump so you land on the downward slope to increase your speed. Do a long jump over the last gap so you hit the downward slope again.

I'm hoping you guys won't bump me off #1. If only else has useful hints, post them!

[quote name='tenchim86']My approach is different than knightsdwn. I take the low road. I'm currently #1 in CAG (15.249 s).

When you go down and then up the first hill, jump enough to get over the top (3 rocks and bouncy thing) so you can land on the downward slope. That will help you maintain your momentum. Do a long jump over the gap to avoid the launch platform and rock. If you hit the right spot, you should lose only a bit of momentum. At the steep slope, do a tiny jump so you land on the downward slope to increase your speed. Do a long jump over the last gap so you hit the downward slope again.

I'm hoping you guys won't bump me off #1. If only else has useful hints, post them![/QUOTE]

That's some great stuff. Will definitely try it out.

I'm amending my strategy slightly. After the first gap, you can do a short jump and jump off the left side of the launch pad. If you're too far right, you lose momentum or you'll hit the rock. I find that if you land close to the branch near the edge of the cliff, you won't lose much momentum.

I'm behind tenchim now. I've been doing better with the high road, but still try the low road too. Going high, you need to keep your momentum up and jump at the last second so that you mostly, but not entirely, clear the bouncy ball thing, and press jump as you hit the far side of that, which will launch you forward instead of up. On the last hill I do a little jump so I land on the downslope and then jump near the top to get over the rock there, then just run straight forward and let the flip up things help push you through to the finish. But with that I'm stuck. Obviously something can be done a lot better because there's a fair number of people with times in the 14 second range.

EDIT: it's not a rock at the end but just a little bump or ramp in the snow that slows you down if you hit it. Same idea.

I don't think I will ever get tired of watching their little feet spin 'round. :)

I was 2nd on day 2! Not so good at day 3 though, currently sitting at #11. Having fun playing this with all the CAGs though, great way to foster a community.

Just hit #1 for Day 3 on the CAG board! #2 overall, holy crap lol. Love this simple yet addicting game. Trials HD did the same to me. Damn these guys know how to get me hooked. Imight on the boards btw.

Hey imight. How the heck did you break 15 seconds? I can't figure out how to complete the course any faster. By the way, congrats on your awesome time.

I got that time by taking the high road then jumping and using the bouncy thing to propel me forward (it has to be on the right corner of it) to catch the first little catapult. I took a small hop to catch next downhill at speed to jump and clear the next small upward bump and ride the last to catapults into the finish line. Hope that made sense and hope it helps! Good luck guys!

so this is by the trials hd people? I may just have to pick it up then. I loved trials though I sucked at it and I suck at these run and jump games too (I did enjoy the heck out of rat on a skateboard though). Does it matter what version iphone/ipad that you get for the CAG group leaderboard thingie as I'd like to get it on the ipad?

Thanks imight. That's what I've tried doing before, but I can't consistently jump onto the bouncy ball at the correct angle. You can also use the bouncy ball to propel you using the low road too. It's just as hard getting the correct angle though.

[quote name='bordjon']so this is by the trials hd people? I may just have to pick it up then. I loved trials though I sucked at it and I suck at these run and jump games too (I did enjoy the heck out of rat on a skateboard though). Does it matter what version iphone/ipad that you get for the CAG group leaderboard thingie as I'd like to get it on the ipad?[/QUOTE]

It makes no difference which version you get - the leaderboards are the same. Also, this is not a "run and jump" game, like Dalton or Canabalt. Rather it's a platform race. There's a start and finish and various kinds of platforms, hills and obstacles on each course.

Regarding taking the high road, I think I'm almost there. One key I find is to run slightly down the hill just before the platform and then jump, don't jump before going down a little. That way I think you get a little speed boost from the hill. I think it also helps to use the technique of barely tapping the jump button before you land on the platform (while in the air), but don't quote me on it. When I do it right I have enough momentum to hit the other side of the ball. Sometimes I end up with so much momentum that I completely clear the ball, which isn't a good result. You definitely need to hit it on the far side and press jump when you do, and then you'll be launched forward.

A little more then 2 hours left in the day's race. I'm going to have a little time during lunch, shortly, but probably not enough!

I have a meeting that is going to mean I don't get the day 3 results out until later. If somebody else wants to post a shot of the final standings, feel free to do so. Otherwise I'll get to it when I can. I'd recommend rotating it and reducing the screenshot size to 480 pixels wide if you have a retina display or iPad, though, which is the size I used for yesterdays. I hate seeing jumbo-sized screenshots in the forums.

Best I could do was 15.136. I literally spent about an hour working that down from... 15.137! One hundredth of a second per hour. :) My thumbs are hurting too. I might hold off on competing on day 4 until tomorrow morning!

Not really feeling the physics, but the leaderboard aspect and quick play will probably keep me going.

I guess I'm really a stickler for accurate platforming controls. That's why I really couldn't get into either LittleBigPlanet game. If a 25-year-old game plays better (Super Mario Bros.) than your game that I paid $60 for, I won't be happy. But for a buck, I'm not gonna hate.

The controls work fine IMHO. The physics are floaty, sure, but clearly the game is not supposed to be realistic. Are you distressed by the fact that their little feet spin around way faster then they should? :) :)

I just had a pretty good run for Day 5. I kept on the low road the whole time. The hardest part is timing your jump onto the swing so that you land just on the back end of it. Then you can get your momentum up to jump off early.

Ooh - I took the CAG lead! Barely! 15.922. My tip would be that you've got to land right on the edge of the swing (the left edge) which sets the swing in motion quick, and then what put me over the top was just barely jumping the pile of snow before the last gap and immediately jumping again to clear the gap. Don't try to jump the snow and the gap in one - too slow, especially after landing. Do them one after the other and stay low. Now let me stay on top. :)

Edit: now down to 15.702. Currently 20th globally.

Awesome job crunch. I don't think I'll top that. At my girlfriend's house now and she doesn't like me playing games while
I'm with her. And it honestly takes hours to perfect a run sometimes. Enjoy the top spot!

Just took the lead for day 5 but not by much. Damn this course is tough. The swing really throws a wrench in the works. Omg I can't just hold right the whole time!? Lets see I can hold on to it. Will take a break until I get topped. I'm looking at you Crunch and Tench.

Icarusmight did not get the memo!

Day 5 results:

imagekn.jpg

I got a bit closer after seeing you top me, Icarus, but couldn't pull it out.

Day 6 "Oglette":

imageecn.jpg

This game is very addicting. As much as I love it, I also hate it. Some things are too luck based. Sometimes the geyser will send me far enough to avoid the rock and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I tap jump and hit the bouncy ball in the sweet spot and sometimes I jump over it and fall into a pit. It's probably just me.

Anyways, currently at spot one. Have work in the morning so I won't be able play this level anymore. You guys have a chance to beat me.

^Exactly why I don't devote too much time to it (besides the fact that I'm not that good, hehe). The controls are just a bit too loose... or something. It does feel somewhat luck based, like you say.

The geyser height that it sends you is determined by how quickly you run past it. If you are running fast you will go low, if you are running slower you'll go high. It is tricky, but it's just a matter of your speed. Not sure I like the geyser as it is almost too precise (small differences in speed make a big difference), at least on this course, but the physics are consistent.

There's definitely some luck involved in the game, but also skill. It's a good mix IMHO.

I'm injured though. :) Not by the game. Rather, and I know you won't believe this but it's true, by stabbing myself in the thumb with an HO scale train rail!! Trying to repair it by pushing on it with pliers, I slipped and actually stabbed the thing into my thumb. Ouch. Makes the game a bit tougher, though I'm trying to adapt. :)

Woohoo! 15.239. 10th overall at the moment. Jump off the first rock and land on the third rock, which is downhill. Or even just a little on the second rock. That will give you more momentum going uphill. I like today's course a lot more the yesterday's.

P.S. Has anybody else taken a ride?

imagenip.jpg

Thanks crunc. I figured that out an hour into it. Getting up the hills and maintaining momentum is difficult. Oh well. Time to head to bed. I'll try for the top spot on Day 7.

I managed to work my way down to 14.844 last night! :) That was good for 4th overall at the time, and seems to be holding for the minute. In part it's about maintaining your momentum going down the first hill so that you can just run up the hill, over the top (and over the rocks there) and down the ledge without jumping (aside from the initial low jump off of the first rock, landing on the third), then landing closer to the wind jet - the closer you are to it the bigger the boost you'll get from it. Etc, etc.

Day 7 Results:
imageft.jpg

Day 8 "Puu-Puu":
imageoxm.jpg

FYI, I've made the OP a wiki and also added a stage wins talley to the OP! Right now it's a 3-way tie between CRUNC IS (that's a me), IMIGHT and TENCHIM86, with Caltab putting in a showing on day 1. :)

You've got to jump on the boulder and then jump off of the boulder to keep your speed up. Tenchim86 was in the lead last I checked. I'll try some more at lunch. I'm pretty sure if I can string it all together I can get to upper 15s, but it isn't easy. On this course it definitely helps to do the technique of pressing jump (barely touching it) just before landing on a flat surface. In particular when jumping over those boulders near the beginning. If you do it right Puu-Puu will lean back and sort of sweep forward. You can keep speed up by doing that. I find that that technique doesn't help when landing on an angled surface, just flat surfaces, and only when you jump low.

You took the lead from me last night crunch, so I had to work on taking it back. Instead of hopping off the boulder, I do one large leap over the boulder and hill and try to catch the downward slope. I use the same technique near the beginning. I do a small hop over the first hill, again landing on the downward slope, and then another over the small bridge. Land on the downward slope there and have the spring launch you over the hill. Try landing past the two large rocks to pick up speed and small hop over/on the smaller rocks in your way. On the large hill, I jump enough to avoid touching the first slope and just hit the second. I do a small jump 1/3 of the way up the hill and I usually jump off the branch onto/past the slabs of rock.

I hope that's helpful info for people. I have a feeling someone is going to beat me...

Nice tips tench. Didn't help me by the looks of my time. I Don't know if it's just me but I feel almost burnt out already with the game. Will still put up a time more casually and not sit there for a few dozen tries lol. Nice job on day 8 dudes.

As far as being burnt out - this is a game sure to do that. 1000 days??? But then you may find yourself getting back into it more later. Probably best to take some courses casual and some courses more competitively. Todays might be a casual one for me. It looks like otherwise it could get aggravating. I haven't really tried it yet, though. I could end up obsessive again. :)

bread's done
Back