A wrinkle with replays

Hell Monkey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
80 (100%)
So I've been looking over my PS2 collection lately and see a lot of great titles I'd love to replay. The kink I've had is the damn HD Collections. I was actually about to play ZoE2 the day before they announced the collection so now I'm holding off.

A lot of the games I'm looking at would have great collections Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Onimusha. I know I would love the playing but don't want that "Oh Man" if it gets announed to have an HD remake in the future.

The many depressing trials of a game hoarder. Final Fantasy XII has been calling me for awhile. HD fear or not, that may end up going into my PS3 sooner rather then later

All of these announcements of HD collection rereleases are making me wonder why I built up a backlog. I would like to replace them with a HD version to play, but my wallet says "no" and I hear Nelson from the Simpsons saying "ha, ha." Oh well, my :ps2: is still a gaming and I am :) about that

Yeah that's the same thing. I decided I'm ust going to play what I want to and if a HD Collection is announced later. "Oh well" If I love the game that much I won't mind replaying it.

I rarely even consider my PS2 games when trying to figure out what to play. I had recently tried a Final Fantasy Marathon, but after going through FF1, and only a few hours into FF2, I realized I didn't have it in me at this time.

My PS2 collection has dwindled down to nothing and apart from FFX, Resident Evil 4, and the Xenosaga games, I really don't have too much of a want to play any of them. They slowly get sold/traded/or just given away.

Yeah - with all of the HD collection releases it's actually causing me to look at games from my backlog the same way you are.

Why should I play the old version now if they are going to have a "superior" version shortly.

Then, once I get the new version I have to make choices that go against my Hoarder/Collector nature.

For instance - God of War collection - Do I then ditch off 1 and 2 and just keep the new set.
Same thing for the GoW Origins collection coming out. POP, Sly Cooper, etc.

My older system backlog is being replaced by the same games in new gen format.

I ditched my GoW1 and 2 for the collection. That is one thing I'm good wtih. If there is a newer version I quickly sell/trade the older ones. I'm a gamer that sometimes collects. Not a collector that sometimes games.

I've already sold Resident Evil 4 and Code Veronia becasue the HD versions are coming out on PSN and XBLA. Same with Shadow of the Colossus and Splinter Cells (since thsoe are both confirmed HD Collections)

Same here. I don't even have a PS3 yet. I've played the bejeebus out of God of War 1 & 2, so I don't mind waiting a while. As for ICO and Shadow of the Colossus... well, I have an enormous backlog, so I don't mind that I haven't finished ICO yet. I figure I'll put the money I make selling the PS2 games toward purchasing the HD collections for when I have a PS3.

Of course, it'd be nice if Sony hadn't removed backwards compatibility from the PS3. *grumble*

Rumor has it that Ubisoft is going to release the Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy this side of the atlantic, hurrah! Don't know why they only released it in the EU and not North America. I hate Warrior Within, but SoT and TT were quite fun.

EDIT: Oh yeah! I'm both frustrated and happy that the PSP GoW games are coming to the PS3 - mostly happy because they'll get real controller support (yay rumble and dual analog sticks!), but a little frustrated because I had been looking forward to buying Ghost of Sparta, but now I have no reason to buy it when a superior version is going to come out.

Oh! :facepalm:

Well, good to know I won't need to import it. Of course, I still need to get a PS3 first. I'm waiting as long as I can for a price drop and significant update to the model. I know a minor model update is going to replace existing stock, but I want to see if something more significant happens. I bought a PS2 4 years ago, and I loved how refined the hardware had become - but especially how cheap the used games were at Gamestop!

What's HD? :rofl:If I were you I'd just play what you have and not worry about upgrading everything to ride the front of the tech wave.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']What's HD? :rofl:If I were you I'd just play what you have and not worry about upgrading everything to ride the front of the tech wave.[/QUOTE]
It isn't just HD, it's also improved textures (higher-resolution) and/or meshes, and sometimes new content as well. There's also the convenience factor - 1 disc instead of multiple discs. For instance, I read that the ICO/SotC will have higher-res textures. And given how SotC chugged along on the PS2, I'm hoping that the devs also smoothed out the framerate given the PS3's beefier hardware.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Final Fantasy XII has been calling me for awhile. HD fear or not, that may end up going into my PS3 sooner rather then later[/QUOTE]
Do this!

I have used the recession to get over my need to collect things. I sell all of my old collectibles on eBay, including games. I have noticed the prices of everything dropping. Games are for playing, not collecting. What would you ever do with an old PS2 game in 20 years? Sell it?

Same thing I do with the games from my Famicom collection: play it. I just go for the 'bansai' approach and keep an incredibly tiny collection of only my favorite games and that way things don't get too crazy.

bread's done
Back