BAY AREA - Retro/Older Gen Games/Systems

Jaisyl

CAG Veteran
Been looking for some places in the Bay Area that sell older gen games? PSX, Dreamcast, XBOX, Saturn, Etc.

Gamestop is fine for used PS2, Gamecube and GBA games, but short of a few used book stores, Games & Electronics in Heyward and Game Alley in Castro Valley I'm having a hard time finding any.

EBay, Amazon, CL & Glyde are all nice online sites but I'd really rather have some local places where I can physically see the stuff I'm buying.

In what city do you live in?
There's the Alameda Game Exchange at Park Street in Alameda. They have everything, wall to wall video games and accessories, though their prices for many of the things they have are similar to those on eBay.

If you live close enough, you should pay 'em a visit. The people who work there are very nice. :)

SWEET!!! Thanks for the heads up. I live in Fremont myself but I get around to Alameda from time to time so I'll definately be checking out this place in the future

Last edited by a moderator:
sup fellow Fremont CAGer

you should definitely check out these 2 places:

Games and Electronics (22540 Foothill in Hayward... but they're moving like 2 stores down the street in the next month or so, but they'll still be on the same block)
Hot Toys in the Newpark Mall

you can find stuff cheaper by being patient waiting to get lucky on eBay, but they are definitely cool places to browse and help support local retro gaming stores... i consider myself lucky to have these two places within 20 minutes drive (damn you mowry & mission blvd during commute hours)

for example, Games & Electronics has a copy (sealed i think, not sure though) of MGS3: LE... for $450... but the fact that they have one is pretty cool IMO

Thanks for the info.

Games & Electronics is a really nice place. I just happened on it about a month ago myself, but I've really been meaning to visit it again.

Hot Toys was another really cool place, I could loss a whole day in there just admiring about all the cool stuff from my childhood. The few times I went I didn't see any games, but of course I probably just over looked them. I'll have to ask one of the sales people to poit them out to me.

I just happened to drop by the Play N Trade in San Mateo a few weeks back and they're going out of business. Coincidentally, they had just started their sale that day. The majority of their stock is current/last gen, but they did have retro games in a glass case. I dunno what they may have that will interest you, but maybe you should try them checking them out too? Perhaps call first to see if they're still there?

There was another mom & pop shop on the border of San Carlos/Redwood City, but I forgot their name. It was a few months ago. I only stumbled on it because I was stuck in traffic traveling southbound on El Camino and saw a Street Fighter character on the side of a neighboring building which is a record shop. I can sorta remember them having retro and current/last gen games. They weren't looking great last time I went and said the majority of their business was shifting to eBay.

Game World, 2114 Senter Rd., San Jose, CA. 408-288-6119 (across the street from Costco)

I dropped into this small location just this week; although I've seen them there for quite awhile. They focus mostly on older stuff, ps2, original xbox, gamecube, and anything prior to that. They also have a few collectibles.

I saw some gamegear, gameboy color, and ps1 stuff. Just kinda fun to browse. the owner is really low-key and nice. Unfortunately, I've also seen this location broken into more than once.

bread's done
Back