GOG "Staycation" - Interplay Games 50% Off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)

To celebrate the beginning of Summer, and the many exotic locales one can experience positioned in front of a computer monitor, through Monday, 4th of July at 11:59 p.m. EDT, all of Interplay's classics available on GOG are being offered at a 50% discount.

[Promo Page]

Battle Chess: Special Edition $2.99 [includes Battle Chess, Battle Chess II: Chinese Chess and Battle Chess 4000]
Castles + Castles II $2.99
Conquest of the New World $2.99 [Deluxe Edition]
Descent 1 + 2 $2.99
Descent 3 $2.99 [includes Mercenary expansion]
Descent: Freespace $2.99 [includes Silent Threat expansion]
Freespace 2 $2.99
Die By the Sword $2.99 [includes Limb From Limb expansion]
Earthworm Jim 1+2 $2.99
Earthworm Jim 3D $2.99
Evolva $2.99
F/A-18E Super Hornet $2.99
Fallout $2.99
Fallout 2 $2.99
Fallout: Tactics $2.99
Giants: Citizen Kabuto $2.99
Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus $2.99
JaggedAlliance 2: Unfinished Business $2.99
Kingdom: The Far Reaches $2.99
Kingpin: Life of Crime $2.99
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader $2.99
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 $2.99
MDK $2.99
MDK2 $2.99
Messiah $2.99
Redneck Rampage Collection $2.99 [includes Redneck Rampage, Redneck Rampage Rides Again: Arkansas and Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66]
Sacrifice $2.99
Screamer $2.99
Shattered Steel $2.99
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division $2.99
Stonekeep $2.99
VR Soccer '96 $2.99

Mobygames:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I saw their announcement about this sale last Friday and I'm excited to see what other games will end up being a part of it.

I already own some of these (both through GOG and the original discs), but there are some I'm missing like Kingpin: Life of Crime and MDK 2 so I'll probably end up picking those up. Also I'm glad that they're making them ALL 50% off individually, and not 50% off if you buy them all (like they've been doing with most of their sales recently).

Yeah a flat discount is nice. I already have Freespace 1+2 and the Fallout games but I'll probably end up getting something from the list.

Awesome sale, even better since it's not a buy-all-to-get-the-best-deal sale. I went ahead and got some today (VR Soccer, Battle Chess, Freespace 2, Redneck Rampage) and will likely get some later on, since the sale lasts until July 4th. GOG continues to win! :D

Very cool. Been wanting to play through Shogo again. Will probably pick up a few more titles too... been forever since I've played MDK. Thanks OP!

I loved Giants Citizen Kabuto on PS2. I might pick that up, and maybe the MDK games. Not much else I'm interested in. Thanks OP.

Flat discount instead of pack discount is good.

I'm going to hold off for a bit to make sure that Steam or anyone else doesn't run a more pressing sale, but bare minimum I'm getting Fallout 1 and 2, and probably the Earthworm Jim games. And maybe Descent. And I always thought Evolva sounded cool... :whistle2:k

[quote name='schulerbob']I'm hoping their next staycation sale is for sierra games. I've been really getting into point and clicks lately.[/QUOTE]

There's no guarantee they'll be putting anything else on sale - maybe they'll just keep playing up Interplay games for the rest of the week.

That said, I wouldn't mind some cheap King's Quest or Space Quest...

Thanks much OP!

After payday, I'm definitely getting the Descent games and the Fallout games. After that I'll have to do some research on the rest before committing to any of them.

So many good games, so little money. Is freespace 1 worth getting or should I just get the sequel? MDK, and how's Descent I & 2? So many games that I've never played before yet heard good things about.

There is so much win here it's ridiculous.

If you're only going to pick up one Freespace game, get the second one. They are pretty similar but the second is better. Or get both!

MDK and MDK2 are amazing goofy action games with great soundtracks (I own the second).
Redneck Rampage is hilarious.
Stonekeep is a great first person RPG. I thought it was amazing for its time, and decently long.

I ended up getting:
  • Descent 1+2+3
  • Earthworm Jim 1+2
  • Giants: Citizen Kabuto
  • Redneck Rampage Collection
  • Sacrifice
  • MDK 1+2

Time to start saving up for the Steam summer sale.

[quote name='tossin']A lot of these don't explicitly say they're compatible with Windows 7. Buy anyway?[/QUOTE]

I can't say that every game plays nice in Windows 7. But I haven't had any problems with the games I've bought from them. Just go to the specific forum at GOG and see what people say.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Figure it out yourself. There's 25+ games on sale - we're not going to do the research for you.[/QUOTE]

Royal we?

For example, Fallout 2- it's strongly recommended to check out the mods as they greatly improve and enhance the original game.
Sacrifice has some extra mp maps, but no res or fanpatch enhancements (to my knowledge).

Some gamers may be aware of and can point others to enjoyable mods. I ask more broadly if anyone has direct experience with games on this list that have been improved over the years from the developer's final build. No need to assume I'm simply lazy, and I won't assume anything unkind about you.

[quote name='mogamer']I can't say that every game plays nice in Windows 7. But I haven't had any problems with the games I've bought from them. Just go to the specific forum at GOG and see what people say.[/QUOTE]

Good idea.

If anyone else is interested in Sacrifice, it seems to have some issues with Windows 7, depending on you graphics card. See here.

Freespace, and Giants seem to work okay though. I think there's also "run in compatible mode" option.

I highly reccomend Redneck Rampage for anyone looking for a fun and funny game! How many other games let you blow up chickens with dynamite? :p

I recommend Lionheart if you like Neverwinter Nights or Diablo. Just bought it, and it couldn't go wrong with $2.99

Finally going to try Lionheart. I played the demo when the game first came out, but the universal hatred of the game's latter half stopped me from buying it when it first came out. For $2.99, I think I'm willing to try out the game I was looking forward all that time ago.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Redneck Rampage looks funny[/QUOTE]

It is! I loved that game when I was a kid, $3 for the whole collection is a great deal imo.

I have always wanted to try Messiah, it looks interesting. I guess some more present day games have used the out of body experience gimmick (Geist on Gamecube, Second Sight, etc.) but it still looks like it might be fun...

In for Fallout and Fallout 2.
I own original discs for both but I worry about those getting too scratched or lost.
6 bucks is a great price for IMHO two of the greatest games ever made.

Hopefully the GoG versions are slightly updated, I tried to play Fallout 2 from its original disc on my vista system a year or so ago, and it required a lot of work arounds.

Now I just need a sale on Baulders Gate 1 and 2 and PlaneScape: Torment.

[quote name='voken']So many good games, so little money. Is freespace 1 worth getting or should I just get the sequel? MDK, and how's Descent I & 2? So many games that I've never played before yet heard good things about.[/QUOTE]

Freespace is fantastic and you can just get the 2nd one and be able to play the first one too. Someone made a full port of the first game (and an improved expansion) to the 2nd games engine.

I suggest everyone buy Freespace 2. For only $2.99 you get a game that has a mod community that has maintained a game that visually and gameplay-wise, still holds up to this very day.

If you do get Freespace 2, here is a very nifty guide on getting FS2Open and the very large number of mods (including FSport, a complete port of the first game) in one convenient launcher: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_fs2_open

how are the descent games and freespace 2 when using mouse/keyboard? I remember as a kid I used to play freespace 1 on a flightstick and loved every moment of it. I don't own one now and I don't want to purchase one just to play these classics.

[quote name='vherub']Royal we?

For example, Fallout 2- it's strongly recommended to check out the mods as they greatly improve and enhance the original game.
Sacrifice has some extra mp maps, but no res or fanpatch enhancements (to my knowledge).

Some gamers may be aware of and can point others to enjoyable mods. I ask more broadly if anyone has direct experience with games on this list that have been improved over the years from the developer's final build. No need to assume I'm simply lazy, and I won't assume anything unkind about you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, actually. That did seem like a kind of harsh response. What exactly are forums for if not a compendium of shared knowledge?

Went back and got more, so now I've picked up Fallout 1,2 and Tactics, Freespace 1 and 2 and stonekeep for 18 bucks.

Hope they have more sales like this this summer, I'm feeling pretty retro.

Been playing fallout 1 on vista home 64 bit, no issues at all works like a charm, I cant believe how good this game still is 15 or whatever years later.

Thinking about grabbing the Fallout games. I've been playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas a lot and would love to get into the story of the old games. Amazon has the digital downloads for $5 each, and I have credit there, so I might be grabbing the first Fallout from that sale.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']Thinking about grabbing the Fallout games. I've been playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas a lot and would love to get into the story of the old games. Amazon has the digital downloads for $5 each, and I have credit there, so I might be grabbing the first Fallout from that sale.[/QUOTE]

Fallout 1 and 2 are unbelievable wonderful and have aged amazingly well. Also the gog versions seem to run very well (at least for me on vista 64).

I would get these with gog (no drm dl to a million pcs if you want) and put the credit to something that gets more credit, heh.

I'm tempted to get Lionheart, but all the negative press I remember when the game came out is holding me back. I've seen a couple of recommendations here -- anyone else have opinions, either for or against? Thanks!

Oh God, I thought I'd managed to resist most of their list, but in a fit of madness last night I picked up Stonekeep! Very fond memories of playing the demo repeatedly around Christmas '95 - but if my memories are accurate, it'll be a terrible game nowadays.

But just look at the screenshots!!! http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/stonekeep

I ended up buying waaay too much. My backlog's already too big.

Bought:

-Evolva
-Die by the Sword
-MDK
-MDK 2
-Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
-Earthrworm Jim 3D (I know people say it's not good, but I've got vague old memories of chicken guns and looking for someone's boxers or something lol)
-Giants: Citizen Kabuto
-Stonekeep
-Redneck Rampage Collection

[quote name='Wapcaplet']I'm tempted to get Lionheart, but all the negative press I remember when the game came out is holding me back. I've seen a couple of recommendations here -- anyone else have opinions, either for or against? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Played it back in the day when it first came out. The entire first half of the game was really fun and I liked where it was going. The second half of the game went off the rails and was the reason for the bad press (iirc the game became very very linear at that point). Just a warning for those who played a bit and remember it fondly, or people who tried the demo.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Oh God, I thought I'd managed to resist most of their list, but in a fit of madness last night I picked up Stonekeep! Very fond memories of playing the demo repeatedly around Christmas '95 - but if my memories are accurate, it'll be a terrible game nowadays.

But just look at the screenshots!!! http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/stonekeep[/QUOTE]

Stonekeep is awesome. I think it holds up amazingly well. But I don't know anything about the second half... Oh well.

Don't be worried if it doesn't work right use the configuration app and try the diff settings.

bread's done
Back