CAGcast #244: DisKinected

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Loads of games on tap this week: Kinect + Child of Eden, Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Duke Nukem, Transformers, Virtua Tennis 4, Red Faction and more! Get your questions or topics answered via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]153[/podcast]
Download - 88 minutes, 53MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN
Free private registration with any domain registration/transfer = CAGFREE[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
DUDE.... I got a mention... SWEET!

And yeah my friend is feeling much better, I'll pass along your well wishes...

Yes he wasn't at the party, he was at work... come on, Wombat, I would have detailed it out very carefully (with pictures!) if he had gotten carried out from the party...

And yeah, maybe I should ditch my friends, no distraction for more games... :lol:

Who's watching the transformers movies? This guy. Mainly because my 2 kids love it. They are 10 and 8. I don't find it extremly enjoyable but I find that I seem to torture myself hoping that the next one will get better then the last.

The Kinect is the biggest lump of electronic crap I've bought and never play with since the Sega Gamegear.

I love to tussel...

Shippy, show that cancer who's the boss!

I doubt the Wii U will be less than $300. Probably closer to $400. They'll probably look at the launch prices of the PS3 and 360 for their pricing strategy. And am I the only one worried about that system? No DVD = no backward compatibility. And there probably won't even be a way to transfer your virtual console games.

We don't need another console, but Apple could bring something great to the TV-gaming table. I've said it before, but I was quite dismayed when Playstation entered the phone market, which probably eliminated the chance of Sony teaming up with Apple to make a solid online interface for the PS3. That team-up could have been spectacular.

I had to laugh when Cheapy got offended by Wombat saying there aren't any iOS games he was (seriously) interested in, not 30 minutes after Cheapy browbeat him for considering an Android phone.

"The people who hate the iphone are the people who don't have one"

:rofl:

[quote name='meager']I doubt the Wii U will be less than $300. Probably closer to $400. They'll probably look at the launch prices of the PS3 and 360 for their pricing strategy. And am I the only one worried about that system? No DVD = no backward compatibility. And there probably won't even be a way to transfer your virtual console games.[/QUOTE]

99% sure they already announced compatibility with Wii titles but not Gamecube.

And why should we assume that there won't be a transfer utility? In their most recent console release, there WAS one. We just won't know for sure either way until they say, so it's pointless to take guesses about it.

Hey guys.

I played the new Cars 2 game at E3 on Both PS3 and Wii. I found it to be most comparable to Mario cart with a bit more characterization. I enjoyed it and I am sure my kids will too. Being a CAG I will wait for a price drop, and getting it on PS3.

Overall for me there were very few remarkable game demos at E3, the deluge of FPS war simulation was numbing, so Disney Universe and Cars where not bad at all.

PS: I am bracing myself for the endless year of Cars 2 marketing. Seeing all the various products in stores already makes me think that the marketing campaign for this will be relentless deluge, not to mention the Disney "Planes" direct to video coming up, I expect, 'Trains" and " Boats" to follow up!

@ship The MK pass does NOT include the previously released classic skins. only the ones that come with the new fighters. it's at the bottom of the dashboard ad

Cheapy says whoever hates the iPhone doesn't have one, but I used one for years before I got tired of it and replaced it. I honestly didn't care about any of the games on it so I agree with Wombat's sentiment that there is nothing worth playing on it. Just because the iPhone has a library of "thousands of games" doesn't mean much when most of those games are clones of each other, and junky to begin with.

[quote name='smoger']I had to laugh when Cheapy got offended by Wombat saying there aren't any iOS games he was (seriously) interested in, not 30 minutes after Cheapy browbeat him for considering an Android phone.

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

That's not quite accurate. Cheapy was making fun of Wombat for his faux interest in the Xperia phone (which I know is technically an andriod). So keep your pants on, he wasn't dissing the whole OS.

I'm just glad someone finally mentioned what a huge apple fanboy Cheapy is. I've never bought an iPhone because I bought my wife an iPod and it was terrible. iTunes is some of the worst software I've ever used. I idea that people would actually want to play iOS games on a tv when they could be playing console games is just a joke.

And it's not a shocker to anyone that Cheapy didn't like the kinect, either. "If you have to stand up, you're not getting the full viewing or audio experience"? Seriously? Maybe if your tv and speakewrs are on the floor (but maybe it's different for someone who's 6'4"). I've never had any problems with the mic unless I've had the volume turned up really high on my sound system and it sounds like the other guys haven't either. I was really excited about the new dashboard announcements for kinect voice integration and I think they were actually MS's focal point during their E3 press conference. I've always wanted to comment on a CAGcast since I've been listening for years, it sucks that my first one has to be negative.

On a positive note (for the CAGcast, at least), the Joystiq show is truly terrible for me. I only started listening after you guys had Justin on as a guest and quickly found that Chris Grant is a really arrogant tool. He was by far my least favorite thing about it. So I wouldn't be surprised if you do see an influx of subscribers after a couple of episodes.

Hey, Ship! I thought you'd like to know that one of the actual pitched lines for the guy near the whiteboard to say in Duke Nukem was something along the lines of "Duke, that's the best dick I've ever seen!" But they didn't use it for some reason. :(

Wombat, as someone who said they have to renew their Verizon contract at the end of the summer, you might want to consider switching carriers. After July 7th Verizon is switching from a $30 unlimited data plan to a tiered system that jacks up the price like crazy. Just my opinion: AT&T is the same as Verizon for price. T-Mobile is cheaper but they throttle data if you pass a certain limit. That leaves Sprint as the best deal of the major carriers since they're cheaper and have true unlmited data. Boost and Virgin Mobile are better deals and (psst, don't tell anyone) use Sprint's network but they don't have the best phones.

Also, discounts on phones aren't a big deal. The physical phone stores overcharge. Amazon's Wireless store practically gives the phones away just for signing up or renewing contracts.

[quote name='atreyue']On a positive note (for the CAGcast, at least), the Joystiq show is truly terrible for me. I only started listening after you guys had Justin on as a guest and quickly found that Chris Grant is a really arrogant tool. He was by far my least favorite thing about it. So I wouldn't be surprised if you do see an influx of subscribers after a couple of episodes.[/QUOTE]Overall, good first post. The CAGcast is, of course, a good podcast for video games. You should also give the Giant Bomb Bombcast a shot.

So, Wombat - How do you find the time for a job, two kids, a wife, a house, the CagCast AND to be the voice of the new Bugs Bunny?

I actually love the Transformers movies. See, people like CheapyD and Shipwreck are blinded by the nostalgia of the original cartoons. They cannot watch the original ones and actually find flaws, because the warm fuzzy memories of their childhood overpower it. The cartoons are actually immensely dumb, with amazing scenes like a Transformer fishing with a human.

Me on the other hand, I have fun watching huge robots fight. And I know the jokes aren't exactly high class and thankfully for the third movie, they removed those two wangsta robots. BUT YOU GET TO SEE ROBOTS BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER. Shia Labeouf is a capable actor so it's not like the parts with the humans are bad either. I really enjoyed the whole college scene with Shia and him freaking out in class drawing Cybertron symbols.

Transformers 1 was better just because the atmosphere was a bit more serious than the second one. The second one just goofed around a bit too much and it seems like the third one will go back to the more serious tone.

These are fun summer movies. Of course you're not going to enjoy them if you have a stick up your ass every time and compare it to your nostalgia cartoons.

And man oh man, Cheapy's apple fanboyness is showing AGAIN. How dare anyone choose a phone other than the iphone? If they chose an Xperia Play they're a Sony Fanboy, if they choose a Windows Phone 7 then they're microsoft fanboys. And if they choose an android phone, then the iphone must be better.

You guys know a former mod that is an prime example of the type of person that loves the Transformer movies.

I've only ever seen one RedBox machine around here and I'd never bother wasting the time and gas it takes to go out there to rent a game for a day. The only use that I can see for it is if I have to have a certain right this second and have a completely empty day to dedicate to it.

Virtua Tennis 4 is easy, especially early on. If you're losing really early, then you suck. I really enjoyed it a lot since the career mode is short enough that I can get through it in a few sessions.

I have to wonder why Volition decided to turn a great open world game into a linear corridor third-person shooter. I'd get Saint's Row 3 day one if it had GeoMod tech in it.

I've had an iPod Touch for nearly 18 months now and I'd never get an iPhone because of my experience with it. I'm hoping that Sony allows general use apps (ESPN, email, Twitter, etc.) on Vita so that I have a reason to get rid of my Touch for good.

The New New Xbox Experience is for everybody. It looks like a mix of the Windows 8 interface and the XMB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4stPcGPxs

iPad's been able to play games over HDMI since it launched, as Tested does their Apps of the Week videos using that feature. Apple is far behind Sony, MS, and Nintendo in terms of having consumer-friendly gaming devices and software, as they only make different styles of phones that happen to be decent at playing small games if you know how to work within their system. That "only those who don't have an iPhone hate it" line is ridiculous.

Decent show.

Wombat,

If Apple decided the needed to start creating games for their new console they would just buy whoever they needed. They had over $60 billion in cash last quarter and shareholders want to see them put it to use. Paying $17 billion for Activision Blizzard would be an easy way to launch their new console. Imagine a new WoW that could be played on the console, IPad an IPhone. Now imagine the subscription revenue that would bring in.

IPhone is now 52% of Apple's revenues. They need to start to diversify for the same reasons they went into the MP3 player and phone market many years ago. The success the Microsoft has had in gaming they're going to attractive. In the not so distant future this will be the system that we'll all be playing.

[quote name='Microshock']And man oh man, Cheapy's apple fanboyness is showing AGAIN. How dare anyone choose a phone other than the iphone? If they chose an Xperia Play they're a Sony Fanboy, if they choose a Windows Phone 7 then they're microsoft fanboys. And if they choose an android phone, then the iphone must be better.[/QUOTE]Bravo, sir. Bravo.:applause: One model does not fit all people. Or to put it in terms Cheapy can understand: "Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some." - Different Strokes, 1978

I've used an iPhone. Just had a Droid X. Now I'm on a Windows Phone (HTC Arrive) and pretty happy with it.

RE: Redbox gaming rentals.

I live in Portland, Oregon and we've had Redbox gaming rentals for about six months, so maybe it had a test run all along the West coast? I recently had an issue where I rented LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean for the PS3 and it gave me the 360 version instead even though I pushed the "PS3" option for the game format.

I called Redbox customer service to complain and was given a credit. Customer service also told me "people getting the wrong games for the wrong systems through Redbox is an ongoing problem." So the people that load up the Redbox kiosks are not paying too much attention to what they are doing. At the particular kiosk I use sometimes (I live across the street from a grocery store that has one) even the box art inserts for movies and games (on the kiosk, not the screen) are inserted backwards.

Hope this news is interesting.

Good show guys. Interesting to hear Cheapy's kinect impressions although it seems like his mind was made up already. I tried Child of Eden with the kinect controls last night and I was impressed, but I haven't compared with the controller yet though.

Good luck Ship!

Great show guys. I love the Thug Life segments. I was tempted to get a kinect for child of Eden until your review Cheapy. I was still slightly interested to use the voice features and using my hand for the menu and Netflix but it just does not seem worth it at this point. And the video above makes the kinect menu look hard to control and annoying.

I'm not going to dispute your opinion on the Transformers movies. I will dispute your claim from a previous show that they are worse than the G.I. Joe movie from 2009. I don't think I've seen more wooden acting and unnecessary flashbacks in any other film.

[quote name='The Great BM']I'm not going to dispute your opinion on the Transformers movies. I will dispute your claim from a previous show that they are worse than the G.I. Joe movie from 2009. I don't think I've seen more wooden acting and unnecessary flashbacks in any other film.[/QUOTE]

Other than the part of the movie where they use the cool robo suits, the movie was pure cheese. I was hoping for a Transformers style movie where it was fun but...no.

It's just nostalgia blocking their view on these things. Shipwreck is obviously a bigger GI Joe fan than a Transformers fan so he won't say the movie was worse than the Transformers one.

Neither G.I. Joe nor Transformers are fine pieces of cinema, but G.I. Joe more represented what a live-action G.I. Joe movie would be. It would be cheesy and campy and involve shooting lasers around well-known monuments. Also it would have ninjas. The Transformers movie was focused on humans (I also can't stand Shia Lebeouf) and the redeeming bits of robots actually fighting were often so difficult to tell what was going on that it was just a blur... other than the close-ups on GM logos. It also contained comedy bits that I think were written for Jar Jar Binks before being cut out of Star Wars Episode II & III.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I've had an iPod Touch for nearly 18 months now and I'd never get an iPhone because of my experience with it. I'm hoping that Sony allows general use apps (ESPN, email, Twitter, etc.) on Vita so that I have a reason to get rid of my Touch for good.

iPad's been able to play games over HDMI since it launched, as Tested does their Apps of the Week videos using that feature. Apple is far behind Sony, MS, and Nintendo in terms of having consumer-friendly gaming devices and software, as they only make different styles of phones that happen to be decent at playing small games if you know how to work within their system. That "only those who don't have an iPhone hate it" line is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I know there's a lot of hate for the Zune (a product none of the guys on the show have ever used), but it really does beat the shit out of iPods because of the Zune pass alone. It's awesome enough to on it's own make me seriously consider getting a WP7 phone next year. I'd definitely recommend picking a Zune up when the hardware gets sufficiently cheap.

[quote name='shipwreck']Neither G.I. Joe nor Transformers are fine pieces of cinema, but G.I. Joe more represented what a live-action G.I. Joe movie would be. It would be cheesy and campy and involve shooting lasers around well-known monuments. Also it would have ninjas. The Transformers movie was focused on humans (I also can't stand Shia Lebeouf) and the redeeming bits of robots actually fighting were often so difficult to tell what was going on that it was just a blur... other than the close-ups on GM logos. It also contained comedy bits that I think were written for Jar Jar Binks before being cut out of Star Wars Episode II & III.[/QUOTE]

I never thought that the humans overpowered the Transformers movies. People need someone in the movie to relate to, and Optimus Prime is not a relatable guy.

Also, this thing with the fighting? Come on. That's just a silly excuse, it's VERY easy to tell who is fighting who and see the fight in general. Don't sit two rows from the screen.

See, you're nitpicking so hard that you've even had to fall back on the "they're using GM cars" argument. Something that you shouldn't even pay attention to.
You give a free pass to GI Joe for being so bad because "the cartoons were like that" but Transformers is somehow worse than the cartoons.

But whatever, its your opinion. Still clouded by nostalgia but your opinion nonetheless.

[quote name='smoger']I had to laugh when Cheapy got offended by Wombat saying there aren't any iOS games he was (seriously) interested in, not 30 minutes after Cheapy browbeat him for considering an Android phone.

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Best part of the episode by far. It's amazing how genuinely hurt Cheapy became when Wombat insulted the iPhone.

That line is hilarious. I guarantee you Cheapy has never used a Win Phone 7 or Android phone for more than 10 minutes.

[quote name='atreyue']I know there's a lot of hate for the Zune (a product none of the guys on the show have ever used), but it really does beat the shit out of iPods because of the Zune pass alone. It's awesome enough to on it's own make me seriously consider getting a WP7 phone next year. I'd definitely recommend picking a Zune up when the hardware gets sufficiently cheap.[/QUOTE]

I like owning songs not renting them and the MP3 player part of iPods is the least interesting (it's not 2001 anymore). It's the apps.

[quote name='usickenme']I like owning songs not renting them.[/QUOTE]

It's 15 dollars a month and they let you own about 10 songs every month. So that's like 10 dollars worth of songs right there and then 5 dollars for the unlimited listening.

I'm so glad Wombat said something about Cheapy's Apple slurping. How many iPhone games do you think Cheapy even owns? Wombat asked if iPhone really has console quality games and all Cheapy can say is Sword and Sworcery EP, a game that he probably wouldn't even know about if not for the 8-4 Play podcast/Mark MacDonald. I'm not trying to insult iPhone/iPad gaming, but it just doesn't compare to console gaming at all. I own hundreds of different iPhone games and there are certainly a good number of excellent gaming experiences, but they are reserved for pre-bedtime gaming for me. Does anyone really want to play these crappy console Gameloft ripoff games on a television?

Wombat calling out Cheapy's man-crush on Apple was hilarious. Cheapy has drunk so much Apple Kool Aid he can't even tell anymore. I couldn't stop laughing at Wombat's jokes. Funniest part of an episode in a long time.

All my best wishes to Shipwreck.

[quote name='usickenme']I like owning songs not renting them and the MP3 player part of iPods is the least interesting (it's not 2001 anymore). It's the apps.[/QUOTE]

How many things do you need to have the app experience on anyway? I really don't need everything I carry to be able to check my facebook, calculate tips or play games on. Since I stopped downloading "free" music, it's been very helpful to have a service that allows me to listen to everything I could ever want to and more before having to purchase. If you mean owning as opposed to buying, stealing is definitely cheaper. But there's no way you'd be able to hear 90% of songs on each album, much less 90% of the artists out there since all radio stations play only the same 10 songs. In my experience, usually the best songs and artists never make it into the radio/mtv play. I like not throwing my money away, so being able to preview all the music I could want legally for the price of one new release (not even to mention the fact that I'm allowed to download 10 free mp3s that aren't locked to my Zune every month) makes it more than worth it.

[quote name='Microshock']I never thought that the humans overpowered the Transformers movies. People need someone in the movie to relate to, and Optimus Prime is not a relatable guy.

Also, this thing with the fighting? Come on. That's just a silly excuse, it's VERY easy to tell who is fighting who and see the fight in general. Don't sit two rows from the screen.

See, you're nitpicking so hard that you've even had to fall back on the "they're using GM cars" argument. Something that you shouldn't even pay attention to.
You give a free pass to GI Joe for being so bad because "the cartoons were like that" but Transformers is somehow worse than the cartoons.

But whatever, its your opinion. Still clouded by nostalgia but your opinion nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Both Transformers movies suck. I grew up with the original cartoon and it sucked too. The movies suck because they're all about explosions and effects. They do focus primarily on the humans while the original focused mainly on the robots. The 2nd one is also a piece of racist garbage. I don't know why they think minorities exist purely for comic relief and mockery. Michael Bay is a piece of shit director and I don't care what Hot Fuzz has to say about it.

bread's done
Back