New casts:

Elizabeth Olsen as the Scarlet Witch:
8343cdd6dc9115c9_Elizabeth-Olsen-CCA.xxxlarge_0.jpg

Aaron Taylor Johnson as Quicksilver:
article-0-1B49E9B4000005DC-523_634x788.jpg

James Spader as Ultron:
blacklist-ep-addresses-hannibal-comparisons-james-spader-explains-bald-head.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man the effect they used to make him look small is horrible. Especially in the car scene near the beginning.

The first minute or so of the trailer I was like "This is Hellboy, they just made his main color blue."

And then Hellboy was in the trailer at 1:55, I'm a genius.

[quote name='Clak']Man the effect they used to make him look small is horrible. Especially in the car scene near the beginning.[/QUOTE]

He looks like he should be the girl's ventriloquist dummy. It's just weird. He doesn't look "small" or "scrawny", he's like some kind of mutant man-child with one of those weird Discovery Channel diseases that ages him really fast.

An article on the difference between how Captain America and Green Lantern were marketed -

cap570.jpg

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/06/26/did-captain-america-get-it-all-right/

For some reason Captain America feels like the anti-Green Lantern in terms of promotion in a way in which I wouldn’t have expected; while both movies debut little over a month apart, Green Lantern was all about giving you as much as possible as early as possible, debuting the first image of the hero in costume almost a year before the movie’s release, as opposed to Captain America doing so six months later.

Similarly, the trailers for Green Lantern seemed designed to dazzle with special effects and colors as opposed to really giving any idea of the plot beyond “Ryan Reynolds is comedy screw-up who gets magic ring, things explode,” whereas each of Cap‘s three trailers have focused on the – for want of a better term – emotional journey the character has to go through to become the eponymous hero, with all the derring-do afterward implied more than shown.

The difference is marked, and telling in terms of the confidence the two studios had in their product, Cap‘s relaxed “Yeah, this is what we’re doing, you should come see” against Lantern‘s “OHMYGODHAVEYOUSEENTHISAIEE”; Cap's is inviting, while Lantern's was desperate.

There’s actually something odd about the feeling of still learning new things, or seeing new visuals, about a big blockbuster movie this close to its release; it seems so counter to the way these things are generally sold to us, with the “important” images and plot points signposted way, way in advance so as to already have that feeling of inevitability and nostalgia by the time the movie actually gets released (The Onion’s joke about the marketing of Green Lantern is astonishingly on the nose, in this respect). But it’s a refreshing, wonderful change: I found myself happily surprised to watch this latest Captain America trailer and thinking “Yeah, that looks better than the last trailer, which looked better than the teaser. I think I’d enjoy this movie.”

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Didn't see a thread for Captain America the movie, the First Avenger.

The new official 2 and a half minute trailer was just released:

Heroes are made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HAlvi2fAyE[/QUOTE]
This is the trailer that they're now showing on the new "Transformers 3" movie.

People in my theater actually applauded when the slogan "Heroes. Are made. ----- In America." came on the screen.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']This is the trailer that they're now showing on the new "Transformers 3" movie.

People in my theater actually applauded when the slogan "Heroes. Are made. ----- In America." came on the screen.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of which, if you go see Transformers 3 in 3D... this trailer in 3D looks that much better. Especially when Cap throws the shield and it looks like it's about to smack you in the face.

I think visual effects artists have ran out of ideas on how to blow our minds with their magic...so they have moved on to making people look 10-20 years younger. Yea I agree some of those scenes look a bit off.

Anyone else think that the trailer was really well done? The music really fits the clips. It should win that award dedicaated to trailers, I forgot what its called.

Anyway she didn't just get undressed, she gets boINKED!

[quote name='giantqtipz']Anyone else think that the trailer was really well done? The music really fits the clips. It should win that award dedicaated to trailers, I forgot what its called.

Anyway she didn't just get undressed, she gets boINKED![/QUOTE]

[quote name='HanawayCoca']Trailer rocks! I'm looking forward to this movie more than any of the other superheroes films this year. Plus I have a mad crush on Hayley Atwell in the Duchess, especially after seeing her 'undress' in that movie.

Girl has a fine body and good pair of door knobs ;D

http://comicbookhotties.com/images/pictures/8504L.jpg[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info gentlemen. And thanks to the power of google, I can verify 99% that pic is not from The Duchess, but another... with even more revealing pictures. Boink! :cool:

Speaking of google, found this too (don't worry it's G-rated) - Hayley Atwell talks about her role in Captain America:

The seventeen most endearing, wry, or improbable things the endearing, wry, and improbable star of Captain America said to us during a ninety-minute conversation:

6566L.jpg

1. I just randomly tackle people in the streets when it suits me.

2. When I met with
the director of Captain America [out July 22], I hadn't seen the script, and I had to go meet him, and we spoke for like an hour. With a lot of those big films, they'll do that instead of an audition — and I prefer them, because I love a chat. I've found the messier the meeting gets, the more successful. You vomit on someone's shirt, it's probably going to work in your favor. Because you shared something: an intimate moment of drunken behavior.

3. When Chris Evans
first took his shirt off on the set of Captain America, I just instinctively grabbed his man boob. They kept it in the film. So we did a couple of takes of me being really inappropriate with my hand on his pec for the duration of the scene.

4. I was wearing
Spanx. A big old pair of Spanx. Really hot.

5. I'd been wanting
to do an "action" film and of course I get cast in an action film set in the forties. [Note: Her oeuvre is mostly period films: Brideshead Revisited (2008), The Duchess (2008), and last year's Starz miniseries The Pillars of the Earth, which earned her her first Golden Globe nomination. In Captain America, she plays a British military agent.]

15. Tommy Lee Jones
[who plays an American military officer in Captain America] is really scary. Because he'll take his time answering a question. It feels like he's ignored you. He does it long enough for you to feel completely humiliated. I said hello to him and then there was a long pause and then he said, "Do you like opera?" He's got a very, very dry sense of humor.

17. I'll be a wreck
when [Captain America] premieres. I'm gonna grow a beard.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Thank you for the info gentlemen. And thanks to the power of google, I can verify 99% that pic is not from The Duchess, but another... with even more revealing pictures. Boink! :cool:

Speaking of google, found this too (don't worry it's G-rated) - Hayley Atwell talks about her role in Captain America:

[/QUOTE]
Really? Either way she's fine!

Check out the musical score to Captain America by Alan Silvestri (known for Forrest Gump) -

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/take-a-listen-to-some-of-alan-silvestris-new-captain-america-score/

Pretty damn sweet!

Now that's a score for a real film, and not like just some popcorn flick you'll hear in Green Lantern or Transformers.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Free bump homie. So all the boys in the yard can drool over hayley[/QUOTE]
If you guys are gonna do this then post some pics!

Can't really find that many "poster" pics of Hayley Atwell like you would find googling a Jessica Alba or something, since she's not very well known yet.

Though she seems like the nice girl type whom I may actually want to sin with.

1895310-hayley_atwell_a_super.jpg

1895311-hayley_atwell_bb_super.jpg

1892037-hayley_atwell_2_super.jpg

She does have a look that reminds me of Jennifer Garner though, and looks much different with her natural hair compared to her Peggy Carter hair in Captain America.

Nice pair of knockers too.

Hayley-Atwell-explosion.jpg

Like the backdrop.

1895377-sharon_carter_hayley_atwell_super.jpg

They will likely turn her blonde in "Captain America 2" with her more modern look, when she will be portraying Agent Sharon Carter.

thumbnail.php

http://slumz.boxden.com/f218/captain-america-first-avenger-getting-early-positive-buzz-1564595/

Early Critics Screening of Captain America: The First Avenger, said to be better than Iron Man (2008)

mWwLw.jpg

The Chris Evans headlining film about Marvel's Star Spangled Avenger has gone through it's first critics screening and word on the street suggests it's going to be a hit.

Late last week several critics from long-lead news outlets (movie magazines, newspapers and other print mediums) attended a screening of Captain America. Though no official reviews or opinions were shared publicly, word has gotten out that the film was unanimously approved.

Surprisingly, the film was noted to be more akin to Marvel Studios' 2008 hit Iron Man as apposed to the company's other 2011 release, Thor; with some of the critics even saying The First Avenger's quality tops that of their Armored Avenger.

Captain America: The First Avenger stars Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, Haley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Toby Jones and Neal McDonough.

The film is directed by Joe Johnston (The Rocketeer) and is scheduled for 2D and 3D theatrical release on July 22nd, 2011.

Better than Iron man? i hope so. Now if they put Cap's shield on XBL for my avatard the summer will be a success!

[quote name='whoknows']That's cool, but I never understood why people were so amazed with Iron Man. I thought it was okay.[/QUOTE]

Iron Man was really awesome. I think they absolutely nailed the casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark.

I have a question.

If captain america was created during ww2, how come in the comics (that I don't reaad, so this is an assumption) he doesn't age? Or do the comics take place in the 40s?

[quote name='Javery']Iron Man was really awesome. I think they absolutely nailed the casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark.[/QUOTE]

I thought him building the suit was kind of interesting, but I was pretty bored outside of that. The end fight is probably the worst ever. It was so...anti-climatic.

[quote name='giantqtipz']I have a question.

If captain america was created during ww2, how come in the comics (that I don't reaad, so this is an assumption) he doesn't age? Or do the comics take place in the 40s?[/QUOTE]

Cryogenic stasis of some form or another. Typically, Captain America gets frozen in an iceberg and lost to America until he is found again, probably by SHIELD in modern times. The story might have subtle or overt variations, but this is the most generic one often presented as to how/why Cap is a modern superhero still in his prime from WW2.

Yeah, basically he was killed off in the 40s but, from what I understand, Stan Lee wanted him brought back so they did the whole he was frozen in ice after the war and found later thing.

Ont thing I was hoping they'd do in the film is show his original shield design, the one that was shaped more like a police badge.

If the screen play sucks, I just pray the story is spectacular. I've been wanting to watch more films with substance. The mentioning of Stark in the trailer is interesting to see what CAP and STARK did together. (besides the suit I guess)

Can't wait to see it all tie-in together.

Iron Man 1 had a great origin story almost as good as Batman Begins. I am glad to hear that CA is getting better reviews than Thor. I am still curious about the post credit scene...will Marvel be cheap and recycle the unused footage from TIH where Banner tries to kill himself, only to unleash the hulk instead and the hulk cracks the ice which frees Captain America? or will they redo that same scene with the new guy playing Banner?

Honestly I think that would be the best route for the final tease for the Avengers...have Hulk free CA by accident.

[quote name='Javery']Iron Man was really awesome. I think they absolutely nailed the casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark.[/QUOTE]

Which was ironic, as both Downey and Stark are usually known for being hammered.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Which was ironic, as both Downey and Stark are usually known for being hammered.[/QUOTE]

Art imitating life?

Either way, I'm a DCU guy all the way, but this movie looks pretty awesome; better than Green Lantern for sure. Will definitely see this one.

When Thor first came out people flipped out because it was decent and started saying knee jerk reaction sort of stuff like " Its better than the Dark Knight!" which was retracted.... No way this goes above 68%.

Everyone was saying how Thor was as good or better than Iron Man too. I'm gonna just wait for the reviews, then gauge whether or not I watch it the first night or a few days later when the local cinema does $6 Tuesdays with soda and popcorn, but it'll mostly be for the soda and popcorn.:D

[quote name='Lice']When Thor first came out people flipped out because it was decent and started saying knee jerk reaction sort of stuff like " Its better than the Dark Knight!" which was retracted.... No way this goes above 68%.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dohdough']Everyone was saying how Thor was as good or better than Iron Man too. I'm gonna just wait for the reviews, then gauge whether or not I watch it the first night or a few days later when the local cinema does $6 Tuesdays with soda and popcorn, but it'll mostly be for the soda and popcorn.:D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='giantqtipz']Thor was decent. Wasn't amazing, but not a waste of money either.[/QUOTE]

who said Thor was better than DK? Must have been either drunk/high or just another Marvel fanboy.

Imho

Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Iron Man 1
TIH
Iron Man 2
Thor

I will wait to decide where to put CA when it comes out..but if it's *that good* I might put it between DK and BB.

[quote name='ITDEFX']who said Thor was better than DK? Must have been either drunk/high or just another Marvel fanboy.

Imho

Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Iron Man 1
TIC
Iron Man 2
Thor

I will wait to decide where to put CA when it comes out..but if it's *that good* I might put it between DK and BB.[/QUOTE]
TIC = The Incredibles?

Cause that was a good fucking movie!

I am really pumped for Captain America. I think it looks great, but I don't know if it will top Thor for me. I expected Thor to be complete shit but I ended up loving it when going in with super low expectations.

Having Cap be a period piece is brilliant. If FF had been a period piece it could have been a great series as well. The reason Donner's first Superman worked (and holds up so well) is in part because it started out feeling really old school and idealistic. Cap and Supes REALLY need that American as apple pie theme and imagery. Also once he's unthawed in the Avengers they should milk the man out of time tropes for the full effect. Imagine Tony Stark questioning Cap's blind 40s heroism. Makes for good conflict. Hulk the brute, Tony the a-hole, Thor the Shakespearean looney, Black Widow the eyecandy, and Hawkeye the covert agent. Something for everyone..

That seems to be the way they're portrayed, especially Cap and Stark. Because really, in a hand to hand fight without his armor, Stark would get his ass kicked. And to the point that Cap is a symbol of the past and Stark spends his time thinking of the future.

bread's done
Back