XBLA - Double Dragon II - Coming this fall!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
picture.php

Double Dragon II: Wanderer of the Dragons Cyclone (should that be Dragon's?) is coming to XBLA sometime from Korean developer Barunson Creative. Arcade Double Dragon II really wasn't as good as the original, but the console ports were tons better, so here's hoping this is based on one of them.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...er-of-the-Dragons-Cyclone-Rated-for-XBLA.html

Last edited by a moderator:
...do we know for sure this is actually based on The Revenge? That name makes it sound like they're doing a totally new game.

If it's totally new, it wouldn't make sense to put 2 in the title. There have been four numbered Double Dragon games already. The most logical explanation for the new subtitle is that it's an actual remake and they want to differentiate it with the title. Guess we'll see!

We'll this just means we are one step closer to three and I can start kicking team mates of the ledge with the spin kick ^.^

[quote name='LostRoad']We'll this just means we are one step closer to three and I can start kicking team mates of the ledge with the spin kick ^.^[/QUOTE]

Was 3 any good in the arcade? It's one of the worst NES games I own.

[quote name='bsmiff']Was 3 any good in the arcade? It's one of the worst NES games I own.[/QUOTE]

The NES version was actually much better. The arcade version of 3 was a complete train wreck and felt nothing like the previous games. I could see how you'd be put off by NES DD3's unfair difficulty, but the graphics, sound, and gameplay were all quite good IMO, even if it can't touch DD2 in scope and fun.

I too am hoping that DD1 will come back to XBLA now that someone seems to have the Double Dragon license. I stayed up late to buy DD1 on release day and was the first person in the world to 200/200 it. Wrote the FAQ for GameFAQs/IGN shortly thereafter. And I own a Double Dragon 2 arcade machine, so I'm something of a crazy fan. :)

I liked 3 in the arcade, but Bomber is right. The Nes version is much better, more so since you can use weapons again. Besides in the Nes version you get two new toons instead of a palette swap of the twins in yellow. That always bugged the hell.

I hope that at some point they put the GBA version of Double Dragon on XBLA. The version that was on live doesn't even compare to the awesomeness of that version. Same with the arcade version of 2 and the NES version. Fix the jumping in the NES version and throw that on the arcade.

More Double Dragon is always a good thing for me. Hopefully some time down the road they will release Super Double Dragon on XBLA.

[quote name='screwkick']Double Dragon II arcade was a horrible game. Left and right attack buttons were difficult to use. Hope its not that game.[/QUOTE]

Umm, maybe you should go back and play it again now that you're older. One button for attacking left and one for attacking right really isn't a big deal at all. Many modern games actually allow the player to attack in 360 degrees via the right analog stick, which is similar but more complex in principal.
I don't think left/right attack buttons add much to DD2, but they really don't hurt anything either.

Casey, it would be awesome to see Double Dragon Advance ported to other consoles. Also the iPhone version of Double Dragon should get ported to Windows Phone, but that's another story.

I loved the first one... brought me back to the days of playing it in the arcarde and pumping in dollar after dollar in allowance to always die in the same place. I would only be disappointed if they brought back the Atari version, lol... for some reason, it just couldn't live up to expectations... ;)

[quote name='MogKnight']Here's hoping it's the PC Engine version of Double Dragon 2. I heard it was the superior version of them all.[/QUOTE]

That is my favorite as it has awesome music and cinemas.

I can now confirm this is a 3D remake/reinterpretation of Double Dragon 2. I'm shopping around a preview article to a few different websites. Hopefully someone picks it up, and then I'll have lots more information to share.

I hope it's the NES version and not the Arcade version. I love Double Dragon 2.

Double Dragon 3...kinda sucks because it's insanely tough. But I imagine a remake would fix that (although I hope they'd keep Bimmy in there).

Jesus it looks like a bootleg Dreamcast game. I'm afraid it's going to turn out like Fighting Force for the PS1 now.

Glad to see lots of reactions, at least! The art style is inspired by Fist of the North Star and similar mangas. It definitely looks better in motion. Let's try to keep an open mind. :)

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Complete and utter fucking garbage. Anyone who buys this game is an idiot.[/QUOTE]

You do know you're a moderator, right? It's not cool to insult people who can handle remakes that look different than the originals.

Thanks, Kreutz! A bunch of big sites picked it up. IGN actually got a bunch of the details wrong, which is funny. Still, it was fun to break a piece of console gaming news for once (I usually write about WP7 games).

Co-Optimus Double Dragon II preview
I enjoyed seeing all the different versions of something I wrote.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know...thinking about it some more, what more can they really do to butcher the name of Double Dragon after that terrible movie and god awful cartoon? So in short, bring it on. I'll give it a shot.

I'll try the demo.

I have to admit though - this has the potential to be another disaster ala Reshelled.

They should have ported the NES version, which was awesome!

if the gameplay is responsive and good, it's worth a shot not matter how much the graphics don't meet our expectations.

[quote name='eastx']You do know you're a moderator, right?[/QUOTE]

I always wondered why I had all this extra stuff attached my my account. Thanks for letting me know that.

Just because you wrote some fluff piece about the game doesn't mean that the game isn't going to be terrible and that anyone who buys it isn't throwing money down the drain. 1200 points for something that looks terrible, isn't done by the original developer, and doesn't retain anything that made the original good deserves to be shit on hard. I stand by my assertion and counter that you are insulting people by trying to convince them that the artwork at the top doesn't look like dog shit and looks awesome because it is in the vein of some anime/manga.

FFFFUUUUUU .. bah! .. why do feel the need to mess with Double Dragon and WTF is about "The Wandering Dragon" WTF is that about?! .. 1st the horrible movie, then the cartoons, and now this crap .. .. .. .. .. now Im going to go play the great Double Dragon 2 for the NES .. the best Double Dragon game evar .. Plz let me forget about this crap!

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I always wondered why I had all this extra stuff attached my my account. Thanks for letting me know that.

Just because you wrote some fluff piece about the game doesn't mean that the game isn't going to be terrible and that anyone who buys it isn't throwing money down the drain. 1200 points for something that looks terrible, isn't done by the original developer, and doesn't retain anything that made the original good deserves to be shit on hard. I stand by my assertion and counter that you are insulting people by trying to convince them that the artwork at the top doesn't look like dog shit and looks awesome because it is in the vein of some anime/manga.[/QUOTE]

Opinions_are_NOT_facts_stamp_by_SBG_stamps.png

What you don't seem to understand is that your opinion about a game or its visuals is not a fact. You see, people can like things that you do not like without being wrong or idiotic or anything of the sort. You're not in a position to determine for the rest of the world what is good and what is bad. What you said is rude and doesn't allow for the existence of alternate opinions.

The art style is based on a particular Asian art style. It may not appeal to you (or even a large portion of Western audiences), but that doesn't mean it's not perfectly appropriate for its home territory. Art is in fact entirely subjective - some people will like it and some people will dislike it. Everything you're stating about it is an opinion, while what I just said is a fact.

Now perhaps they could have chosen an art style with greater mass appeal, but the developers basically made the game they wanted to make. That's their right as developers/artists. If it doesn't sell well as a result of their choice, they'll feel the consequences of their choice. But I think it's far wiser to judge a game based on its gameplay, not the graphics. This game could be a ton of fun, but you'll probably never see that as a result of your bias.

The art style is looking very... MMOish... o_o;

But hey, it looks like it has perfect guarding! I think more beat'em ups could use that. Though, the trailer does have a lot of judge about... It's just horribly edited.

[quote name='MogKnight']The art style is looking very... MMOish... o_o;

But hey, it looks like it has perfect guarding! I think more beat'em ups could use that. Though, the trailer does have a lot of judge about... It's just horribly edited.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I think they let the editing software automatically generate it from the available footage or something.

Yep, the devs are MMO makers.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']No, it looks like shitty PS1 polygons regardless of the "art style".[/QUOTE]

Show me the PS1 game that it looks like.

Fighting Force?

ff2.jpg

Nope.

Now, if we think before we post and move to the Playstation 2...

The Warriors

the-warriors-20051014061013463_640w.jpg

It's a little closer to that, though in widescreen and with higher-resolution textures.

Double Dragon II

5906xDoubleDragonII02.jpg

I love beat em' ups and have bought most of them from both Turtle games to X-Men. Unfortunately nostalgia's a bitch. It pains me to see this isn't the kind of evolution the genre so desperately needs at this point. The art looks unappealing, but I'm sure it'll be a fun little beat em' up for a night or two. Once I've had my fill that's it. I'll play the demo but if it's you same stale beat em' up I've played before I'll be passing.

Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers are the best when it comes to taking the genre a step further, unfortunately they didn't take it far enough. I'm still waiting for that game to put beat em' ups back on the map.

bread's done
Back