My backlog is massive, but I keep buying more games. Need CAG Anonymous.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
'Sup CAGs,

Just wanted to share my backlog of titles in my collection that I have either "Not played at all" or "Played a little". It's just... sometimes the damn deals on CAG are so tempting, it's hard to resist, even though I have more games than I have time to play already. Do I have a game shopping problem? I have no financial issues, and I never carry a balance on my credit cards, and I only buy stuff when it's on sale (and not like a $5 off or $10% off sale, only the good sh!te like recent TRU 2 for $50, etc). I recently set a LIMIT on my shelf for how many games I want to accumulate, because otherwise, I will have to buy ANOTHER shelf just to fit more. I trade my games quite often, after I beat it (if I don't feel it's a keeper), so it's not as if I keep everything.

Sometimes I wonder, if I stay away from CAG for a few months, maybe it will stop the shopping. Except, I can't stay away. CAG is awesome. I need help. Since creating this thread, I've reined in my VG shopping by reminding myself of my backlog issue by looking at this list. Perhaps someday, I will whittle it down to 20 or so.

The backlog ~ updates in yellow

:360: Army of Two: 40th Day - bought to co-op with my cousin, then he got too lazy to finish it. Completed and traded!
:360: Bayonetta - Almost done with 1st playthrough.
:360: Borderlands - Got release day at BB B2G1.
:360: Brutal Legend - Completed 1090/1090gs.
:360: Bully: Scholarship Edition - Completed 1000/1000gs.
:360: Civilization Revolution - played 15-20 minutes. Was a big fan of Civ on pc, so when I saw this for

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it? I think I have about just 40 360 games in my backlog, more if you include XBLA. I probably have another hundred or so in Xbox, GC, PS2, PS1, VB, DC, and N64 games.

Hi, my name is Anotherpoorgamer! I have a backlog problem. I have over 100 games in my collection that I have either not completed or even opened.

That's just physical media. I have also a handful of digital downloaded games I haven't even bothered to start.

I think my problem is I see a deal and I have to get in on it. I need to clear my backlog before buying more games. So I will only buy games I really want and not just because they are cheap/have only some interest in playing.

Here's a tip, instead of making a list of your backlog, make a list of games you've knocked out. See what games you can beat in a day or repulse you within a one hour time period. Then you can make a clearing out log. Here's mine for original xbox:

Metal Arms (played three missions, was okay but the story is too kiddie)
Area 51 (kicked ass as a rental title and beat in a twelve hour gaming session)
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (sucks on the PC, needed to remind myself that it sucks on the console as well. Dialog system is retarded (giving you the same questions for everyone) and takes way too long to explore or do anything)
Sudeki (Generic action RPG, will be culled before the day is out).

See how that works? You need to HATE your games.

Steam is the sworn enemy of any gamer trying to save money. I have 129 games on there and have only really played maybe 1/4 of them, that being a generous estimate. Of course a lot of that is from when they have those indie packs of 5 games on sale with only 2 I actually want, but it's still a huge number.

That's not including consoles. Of course some in my backlog I might never really get through, stuff I've bought expecting to like and have only gotten an hour before resorting to something else, that sort of thing.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Here's a tip, instead of making a list of your backlog, make a list of games you've knocked out. See what games you can beat in a day or repulse you within a one hour time period. Then you can make a clearing out log. Here's mine for original xbox:

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (sucks on the PC, needed to remind myself that it sucks on the console as well. Dialog system is retarded (giving you the same questions for everyone) and takes way too long to explore or do anything)

See how that works? You need to HATE your games.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it does work to treat the game as an enemy that must be defeated at any cost.

Another good strategy: just admit you just like buying shit, sit back, and watch the backlog grow. Maybe play a game every couple of months to appease that little corner of your brain that's still sane enough to question what you're doing. Seems to be working alright for me. (?)

Oh man I didn't even think to list my downloadable stuff! And PS2 backlog is there too, forgot about that as well. Off the top of my head:

:360: Comic Jumper
:360: Costume Quest
:360: Toy Soldiers
:360: Deathspank Thongs of Virtue
:360: Bionic Commando Rearmed
:360: Winterbottom
:ps2: Okami
:ps2: Rogue Galaxy
:ps2: Persona 3
:ps2: Persona 3 FES
:ps2: Persona 4
:ps2: Fatal Frame 2 - loved loved the 1st one, but I bought this late in the ps2 era
:ps2: Ratchet and Clank Deadlocked
:ps2: FFX - 70% done, then got sidetracked by GTA San Andreas
:xbox: GTA San Andreas - 90% done, then sidetracked by purchase of the 360
:xbox: Mercenaries
:pc: Tales of Monkey Island episdes 4-5 - had a hdd crash and I never finished 4 after that.
:pc: Company of Heroes
(DC) Shenmue - always wanted to get back to this... but now it looks so ~ aged. I haven't listed this far back because these games are kinda hopeless as far as getting completed goes.

I can't make a list of games I've finished, coz that list is beyond massive. The fact I HAVE managed to finish so many games is how I justify more buying to myself.

[quote name='Zaku77']I'm an OCD collector, so my backlog is at about 330 games and ever growing. Yours is still healthy, good sir. :3[/QUOTE]

Hey THAT actually made me feel better! Thanks! :applause:

My wife and I had this discussion last night. I check cag daily...out of mere habit. I told her I was going to try to stop. Between videogames and movies I am getting out of control. I have everything I want if I would just look around. But it is so hard....it is bad when you have things still sealed for YEARS. You wouldn't believe the games(especially RPG's) that I have almost beat(at end) and never look back. What is wrong with me...we are also running out of room in my house.

Backloggery.com

My backlog across 5 systems is a shade over 200 now, which is like 75% of my collection unplayed or unbeaten.

its the addiction. i made a vow not to buy games unless they hit the >$15 pricemark. mostly cause i know by the time i get to the game (would would be at new release price), the price would be GH, PH, or at a select price.

[quote name='david12795']its the addiction. i made a vow not to buy games unless they hit the >$15 pricemark.[/QUOTE]

Teehee.

So you buy all your games at release?

It's an addiction and a sickness all in one. I just can't say no to a sub $10 game when I see it in a clearance bin at Sears/TRU. Even if it's the suckiest piece of garbage ever made I'll likely buy it 'because it's cheap'.

It's how I amassed a collection of 50 titles per console last gen from Sears/Kmart/TRU/Target/Circuit City(when they were in biz)/Best Buy clearance buying.

[quote name='Vinny']544 and counting... :lol: at your backlog.:p[/QUOTE]

LOL - Mine is at 530 or so.

I've actually slowly weaned myself off. The bulk of my "backlog" is in my PS2 collection (I think it's about 170). I have about another 150 on my "backlog" for my XBOX and 360.

It's not really a backlog anymore -- I enjoy collecting and going through a night playing through dozens of old titles. It's a mad trip down memory lane and it's also great fun with friends and family :)

I have a notable backlog too, although I don't know exactly how many. There is, after all, a big difference between the backlog of games I actually want to play, and the backlog of games that came in lots that I keep because I don't want to throw them out, but they have too little resale value to bother with. I'm not raging to play Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose anytime soon.

For a brief while, I had a lil' bag with the names of the games I wanted to beat on paper slips in it... I'll pull one, beat it, and repeat. It didn't work very well... I couldn't keep the focus going (felt too much like work, right?) Maybe that'd work better for you. Oh, and cheat! If the real goal is just to see the ending, it's not so bad to use a code or have a friend beat a part you're stuck on. (I mostly do this for older games without save systems.)

[quote name='romeogbs19']LOL - Mine is at 530 or so.

I've actually slowly weaned myself off. The bulk of my "backlog" is in my PS2 collection (I think it's about 170). I have about another 150 on my "backlog" for my XBOX and 360.

It's not really a backlog anymore -- I enjoy collecting and going through a night playing through dozens of old titles. It's a mad trip down memory lane and it's also great fun with friends and family :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. I buy many games simply because I enjoy collecting but only if I think the games future value is worth the price I'm paying. Plus, I'm buying fewer and fewer new generation games... most of my collection is PS1, PS2, GC, DS, and GBA.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']
For a brief while, I had a lil' bag with the names of the games I wanted to beat on paper slips in it... I'll pull one, beat it, and repeat. It didn't work very well... I couldn't keep the focus going (felt too much like work, right?) Maybe that'd work better for you. Oh, and cheat! If the real goal is just to see the ending, it's not so bad to use a code or have a friend beat a part you're stuck on. (I mostly do this for older games without save systems.)[/QUOTE]

That's actually a near idea. I have my collection in an Google Spreadsheet so I could just do the thing using a random number generation.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, same here. I buy many games simply because I enjoy collecting but only if I think the games future value is worth the price I'm paying. Plus, I'm buying fewer and fewer new generation games... most of my collection is PS1, PS2, GC, DS, and GBA. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have really slowed down on game purchases; mostly it's because I don't have much time to play so can't justify spending the money like I used to and honestly, I've been less excited about many of the titles this generation. There have been a few exceptions (Mass Effect, No More Heroes, Epic Yarn, Mario Galaxy, anything Platinum, and a handful of others) but I feel the variety isn't quite as deep as the PS2/XBX/GCN/DC generation (which I do think is the closest to another golden age of gaming we'll see in our lifetime since the SNES/GEN generation).

I don't buy handheld games -- well, I take that back -- have only 5 or so for my 2 SPs. Never quite understood the appeal. I like my games fully immersive so only console titles for me. :)

I think to-date the only games I've really finished are the Mario, Zelda, and other Nintendo titles. Always have been a Big N paisano.

My backlog has grown exponentially since I came across this site lol. I've come to a point where I can't let myself buy anymore because I have enough to keep me busy and would rather get through them before adding to it. I figure everything I'm interested in will drop in price by then, so i'll just save money. We'll see if I can hold up to that though, I also check this site everyday out of habit and can't pass up a great deal :) plus the stellar lineup this fall!!

My backlog is pretty modest compared to others here, about 65 spaning over 3 current gen consoles, psp and gba. I really need to adopt a one game (or even system) at a time policy or I'll likely never get through them lol.

It seems like 'back in the day' when you could count on all the big titles coming out near the end of the year, I would buy a ton of games (plus ususally get more as holiday gifts) at the end of the year, and then that backlog would last through the next summer....you know, when summer meant no new games that were demanding your attention. Back then my backlog never seemed to be very far into the double digits. With good games being released all year now, I've been ashamed to see my backlog growing into the triple digits. I am relieved to see I'm not alone, and happy to be among 'Cag Anonymous' :)

Yeah, my backlog is probably 100+ now thanks to yardsaling and not being able to pass up about anything for the Genesis/SNES/Gameboy/N64 titles when I see them.

Luckily, a lot of it is still packed up in boxes and I permanently leant my bro a few OG XBox titles I didn't care about. My 360 collection isn't too bad, though. I currently only have a backlog of 8 games for it (and 4 of those are club.bing prizes). Around a dozen or so counting stuff I barely started and lost interest in.

A thread like this one comes along every once in a while, and this time it's actually got me thinking about my own collection. If I list just the games I've started and left unfinished (so, not counting sealed or untouched downloaded titles), it doesn't seem that bad, maybe:

:ps3:
Burnout Paradise - About 70% of the way though, I think
[PSN] Echochrome - stuck on a puzzle
[PSN] flOw - moving slowly through the levels to get trophies, haven't advanced much
[PSN] Flower - same as flOw
God of War Collection - Halfway into GoWI, that's it
LittleBigPlanet GOTY - did one world, that's it
[PSN] PAIN - too much missing paid-DLC-only content
[PSN] PixelJunk Eden - cleared one or two gardens only
[PSN] Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic - got stuck
[PSN] Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game - only beat the first of the seven evil exes
Portal 2 - only did the first few chambers, must get back to it soon
Rock Band 2 - didn't get far on the tour, it's more for parties

:ps2:
Ratchet & Clank - never got around to getting past the first level
War of the Monsters - can't beat the end

:psp:
Crush - stuck on a puzzle
Exit - stuck on a puzzle
Killzone: Liberation - stuck on a mission
LocoRoco - put it down after a few levels
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - stopped 4 or 5 missions in but am now getting serious about playing it
Rock Band Unplugged - unlocked all the songs at the start and am not compelled to do the tour
[PSN] Super Stardust Portable - can't beat the final boss...

:pc:
[Steam] Left 4 Dead - started campaign
[Steam] Left 4 Dead 2 - started campaign
Plants vs. Zombies - only did a few games here and there

I'm sure there are more that I forgot to list. Notice how "stuck on a _____" is a reoccurring theme. heh

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I can't believe some of you are 500+!!! Where are you storing your games? You guys should upload pics of your shelves, I'm curious to what 500 games look like.

Some of the backlog I just can't part with, like my copy of Okami, or SMT Personas, even though I know I'll never play it again.

I like the 'not buy until

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Here's a tip, instead of making a list of your backlog, make a list of games you've knocked out. See what games you can beat in a day or repulse you within a one hour time period. Then you can make a clearing out log. Here's mine for original xbox:

See how that works? You need to HATE your games.[/QUOTE]

My god you are the only other person on the face, besides me, of the planet that doesn't like morrowind! I've tried too many times to count to play through it, but you can't fucking find anything..... everything is brown and they tuck shit away in unfindable places nonstop.

Yea OP your list isn't that bad. I have about 60 or so sealed games in my collection. I have another 30 or 40 that I have yet to finish. That's life for me, and I like it that way. I've been limiting my purchases to games I will actually play, and want to play. For instance, I want DNF, but not at full price. I'll wait for it to hit a certain price point at a certain retailer before I buy. So, make a list of games that you simply can't miss, set a price point, and then play your backlog until that becomes a reality.

[quote name='baz8771']My god you are the only other person on the face, besides me, of the planet that doesn't like morrowind! I've tried too many times to count to play through it, but you can't fucking find anything..... everything is brown and they tuck shit away in unfindable places nonstop.[/QUOTE]

I don't like Morrowind (or Oblivion either for that matter) but I don't like those games because they're glitchy as all hell. I can't believe people are so accepting of the games given how badly they played...

I've got about half of your list. Gotta say I'm pretty proud of knocking out a good amount of titles that I bought and wanted to get around to. I may come back to this thread to post my backlog to see how it compares to other CAGs.

Ah...the days of having a "backlog"'

I've long since come to terms with it being a video game collection rather than a backlog. I definitely buy games more as a collector than a gamer now. At least 90% of my time spent gaming in the last 15 years has been on 5 or less very cheap or free online PC games. I don't really even need to buy any games because I play the same games during my free time. I have already logged around 400 hours into a game I bought during the steam Christmas sale that I spent $2.50 on (Altitude - 2D online plane combat). And that along with another 2D online game will likely continue to be most of what I play until the games finally die off due to lack of players or the servers are shut down.

I discovered Amazon Warehouse Deals at the very end or 2010 and within 3 months my already fairly large collection increased by probably 5x although a lot of the games were extremely cheap. Its just hard for me to pass up games that I want to play that I find either well below market value or extremely cheap ($3 or less). AWD prices started sucking though so instead of getting an average of 10+ games each week I'm down to an average of around 3 each week.

At least I've probably spent less money on my huge gaming collection than those who regularly buy new releases. Most of my games I got great deals on, are out of print, and are and will continue to be worth more than I paid for them.

My backlog is pretty big for me, maybe 20+ titles. I don't mind the XBLA backlog, since alot were bought with Bing points. Sometimes I buy games and end up selling or trading them back in. It is a sickness. ;)

[quote name='TheHelix']Who will be the first CAG to be on Hoarders?[/QUOTE]

I'm a UPS driver and boy do I have stories, these people are literally everywhere!!! I've seen people like that in nice expensive houses kept really nice and clean outside, to houses that have crap inside and out.

This site has increased my backlog tremendously but has also made me a consciences buyer. Before when I would wait for games to go on sale or find a clearance game that I would buy with out thinking. Now I can get 3 to 5 times more with the same amount of money. That is one of the biggest contributors to my backlog and I'm sure a lot of us here too.

I think my backlog is big because of my collecting, Im trying to stop, so far it might work if I don't find cheap games I have to have (the last one of those was a Mark Ecko getting up collector's edition, sadly I bought it because of the limited edition sharpie good game though)

I usually get a gaming backlog because I will preorder games that I know I will buy regardless but get them day 1 for the bonus DLC

Right now backlog:
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Dead Space 2
Duke Nukem Forever

counting older systems like ps1 ps2 xbox and gc well over 300+ with 360 alone 250+ lol. these are guesses but i own a lot of stuff

You know the funny thing is, the latest game that I completed is actually not even one I paid for. I just finished one of the Welcome Back program games(Dead Nation).

Fun game. But damn did it get insanely intense at times.

My backlog actually stays relatively small. Like others, I can't resist an awesome sale/clearance, but I also can't resist an awesome trade-in/flip opportunity! So my backlog will get pretty large, then I'll trade in a chunk of them (most of which are unplayed or barely played at all) during some 50% special or whatever. That credit gets used to buy more games and the cycle repeats itself...

For every 10 or so games I get I only ever actually play 1 of them. :lol: I thought that was bad, but reading some of you guys' stories makes me feel better!

Holy crap guys, I have like 25 and I thought that was a lot!

A lot of them are pretty long games, so I dunno if I'll get to them. And in the past month I've been getting quite a few (Dead Space 2, Fable 3, Shadows of the Damned, Assassin's Creed), and there are a few I haven't played much (FFXIII, Fallout New Vegas) and a crapload of Steam games.

bread's done
Back