$10 Amazon bonus credit with El Shaddai pre-order (Xbox 360, PS3)

benmonkey

CAG Veteran
Amazon is offering a $10 bonus credit when you pre-order Ignition Games' new 3D/2D action platformer El Shaddai.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/El-Shaddai-As...NKOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309024953&sr=8-1

If you haven't seen it yet, it's like no other game out there. Developed by some of the people behind Okami, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, and Monster Hunter. You can grab the demo now on 360 and PS3 to see what you think... game comes out in the US on July 26.

More info here: http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/e.../a-2011060612036343004/g-20100618115741722039

Reviews are solid so far... Eurogamer gave it 9/10, Edge Magazine gave it 8/10 (which is like a 10/10 from any other publication :lol:).

I'm interested in this game due to the proposed story concept. I'm almost put off by the absolutely retarded subtitle they gave it:

ASCENSION OF THE METATRON.

Did the collective "they" learn nothing from AssCreedBroHood?

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Game is very beautiful, but from the demo it looks like the fighting system is pretty bad. Definitely gonna wait for this one to hit the bargain bin.[/QUOTE]

What's "pretty bad"?

I didn't care for the game too much from the demo. As said already the fighting system is meh. And sometimes it's hard to tell what is and isn't the ground. But mainly the fighting system. It just seemed to go on longer than it needed to. Like if it had a more robust move set then that means the battles should last as long as they do but since you don't have a lot of attack options to choose from it gets repetitive.

[quote name='FurryCurry']I didn't care for the game too much from the demo. As said already the fighting system is meh. And sometimes it's hard to tell what is and isn't the ground. But mainly the fighting system. It just seemed to go on longer than it needed to. Like if it had a more robust move set then that means the battles should last as long as they do but since you don't have a lot of attack options to choose from it gets repetitive.[/QUOTE]

That was my feeling. The platforming was boring and the fights went on for much too long with so little payoff. I wouldn't be surprised if I was fighting "wrong" but the moveset felt very limited and the enemies had way too much stamina.

The art style is interesting and easy on the eyes, but the areas are so barren. It wouldn't be so bad if the fighting was actually fun, but it's not (so far). So you have a decent art style with small corridor environments wherein there's nothing to do, punctuated by boring fight scenes that go on for far too long.

Man, now that I've thought about what I didn't like about the game, I'll just say the demo was terrible. I hope the final product is better.

Wow. I did not realize this was a retail title. I was ready to spend $15 after the demo, but $50 is a pretty big ask. Thanks OP, but I think Ill wait.

Funny. I get it's an under the radar title, but it's been over a year now from our first look at it. Guess I should try the demo though I won't be able to buy it most likely because of lack of money rather than interest.

To the people that said the fighting style was meh, did you notice that if you delay inputs (square, square, pause then triangle) you can pull off different combos ala DMC 3?

I like it, but I really hope that there are more than 2 weapons in the game. I'll check out reviews and probably pick it up at $30-40.

I loved the demo, and thought the art style was impressive. But I was also under the impression that this was an XBLA game, for $10-15. $60 dollars is absurd for a game like this that'll probably be 5-8 hours long tops. While I like the feel to it and the simplicity about it, it's just not something I'd pay more than $10 for. I don't know how they're justifying a full $60 retail release on this one, then again, there is worse crap that has come out at $60.

If you're doubting why it's a full retail title or you're on the fence, the Eurogamer review sums the full game up nicely: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-01-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-review

The full game is about 10-12 hours long on Normal, with two more modes unlocked after completing it. Each level is vastly different from the last, and some of the boss battles are WAY out there.

Having played the import version, I can tell you the combat system is VERY deep once you realize button mashing is doing it wrong. Everything is rhythm-based and each weapon changes how you jump, dodge, set up combos, damage specific enemies, and interact with the world.

El Shaddai is tailor-made for fans of DMC, Bayonetta, Okami... even Rez and Super Mario Bros., but it's also not for everyone. One thing it absolutely isn't is a budget title. It was directed by the artistic forces behind Okami and Devil May Cry, and internally developed by Ignition Japan for far longer than any $15 XBLA or PSN game.

[quote name='Wolfnix90']ugh.. i thought this was a xbl arcade game :( i'll wait.[/QUOTE]

This whole time I thought this was an XBLA game too! When I saw this I was like wow $10 off an xbla game?!! Sign me up! $10 off full retail price? No thanks.

Can't find a reason to be interested in this for the price either. Smells like a quick bomb down to $20-25 to me also.

[quote name='benmonkey']One thing it absolutely isn't is a budget title. It was directed by the artistic forces behind Okami and Devil May Cry, and internally developed by Ignition Japan for far longer than any $15 XBLA or PSN game.[/QUOTE]

While you might not think that makes it a budget title, the entire demo seemed pretty sparse. And if the demo is supposed to sell you a product, it sold it to me as a PSN game.

If your reasoning would be applied to other things, Deadly Premonition should have probably been released at a full $60 as well, no? Even though it's clearly a budget title, and that was reflected with its MSRP.

[quote name='benmonkey']If you're doubting why it's a full retail title or you're on the fence, the Eurogamer review sums the full game up nicely: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-01-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-review[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the art style. People see something abstract, artsy and colorful and immediately think of a psn game since every single retail release has to be brown, grey or atleast full of realistic looking backgrounds and things. I'm still not quite understanding it.

I, for one will be getting this at release. If you're not into devil may cry, bayonetta..games like that, then wait for it.

[quote name='looploop']That was my feeling. The platforming was boring and the fights went on for much too long with so little payoff. I wouldn't be surprised if I was fighting "wrong" but the moveset felt very limited and the enemies had way too much stamina.

The art style is interesting and easy on the eyes, but the areas are so barren. It wouldn't be so bad if the fighting was actually fun, but it's not (so far). So you have a decent art style with small corridor environments wherein there's nothing to do, punctuated by boring fight scenes that go on for far too long.

Man, now that I've thought about what I didn't like about the game, I'll just say the demo was terrible. I hope the final product is better.[/QUOTE]

This sums up how I felt about it perfectly. Also the dub lip syncing seemed a bit.. off. I'm sure that won't be a problem for most people though, since the original japanese audio is included.

The game reminded me of some 1st gen PS2 titles I've played. I didn't think it was a PSN/arcade title but there's no way I'd pay $30+ for it.

[quote name='benmonkey']If you're doubting why it's a full retail title or you're on the fence, the Eurogamer review sums the full game up nicely: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-01-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-review

The full game is about 10-12 hours long on Normal, with two more modes unlocked after completing it. Each level is vastly different from the last, and some of the boss battles are WAY out there.

Having played the import version, I can tell you the combat system is VERY deep once you realize button mashing is doing it wrong. Everything is rhythm-based and each weapon changes how you jump, dodge, set up combos, damage specific enemies, and interact with the world.

El Shaddai is tailor-made for fans of DMC, Bayonetta, Okami... even Rez and Super Mario Bros., but it's also not for everyone. One thing it absolutely isn't is a budget title. It was directed by the artistic forces behind Okami and Devil May Cry, and internally developed by Ignition Japan for far longer than any $15 XBLA or PSN game.[/QUOTE]

I'm torn. I had seen the demo on XBL for a while and didn't give it a look, seemed terribly generic. I then saw the reviews the OP cited in the first post and it landed on my radar. Gave the demo a whirl and enjoyed it immensely.

But it might drop fast. At the same time, I don't know what else I'll be getting around then. Brother is getting Catherine, not I. So spending $60 on it wouldn't be an awful idea, at least for me.

I also didn't like the demo. I'm surprised it scored a 9 from eurogamer. I'm still expecting it to get mediocre reviews and to be in the bargain bin soon.

[quote name='Vortextk']Maybe it's the art style. People see something abstract, artsy and colorful and immediately think of a psn game since every single retail release has to be brown, grey or atleast full of realistic looking backgrounds and things. I'm still not quite understanding it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, it does seem people make snap judgments based on what you mention. It is too bad. The game demo was nice, and it is on my radar to pick up. I enjoyed it, and I didn't think I would.
[quote name='jsvalmont']I'm surprised some people think this game is going to even be worth $50[/QUOTE]
The only other thing I like to menton is worth is subjective. That is all.;)

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']I agree with you, it does seem people make snap judgments based on what you mention. It is too bad. The game demo was nice, and it is on my radar to pick up. I enjoyed it, and I didn't think I would.[/QUOTE]

I guess it's that whole judging-a-book-by-its-cover type of thing, with people equating certain aesthetics to a particular price, which is a shame. Probably one of the reasons why the videogame landscape is littered with similar-looking games.

I'd rather buy this game at full price than another COD or another shitty FPS. This is the type of games we should be supporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ogami Itto']I'd rather buy this game at full price than another COD or another shitty FPS. This is the type of games we should be supporting.[/QUOTE]

This, pretty much. I mean, I wouldn't be getting it if I didn't love the demo. But I do, and I want to see more of the quirky Japanese games that used to be the norm last gen. Same reason I just ordered Shadows of the Damned and the same reason I'll be getting Catherine day one. Everything drops in price, but I'd personally prefer to let generic military shooter #153 drop in price and support the original game day one.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']I'd rather buy this game at full price than another COD or another shitty FPS. This is the type of games we should be supporting.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='argyle']This, pretty much. I mean, I wouldn't be getting it if I didn't love the demo. But I do, and I want to see more of the quirky Japanese games that used to be the norm last gen. Same reason I just ordered Shadows of the Damned and the same reason I'll be getting Catherine day one. Everything drops in price, but I'd personally prefer to let generic military shooter #153 drop in price and support the original game day one.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Amen.

Not to be all "Fight the power!" but I'm glad I'm not in the vast minority on this game, as it almost seemed so. I still think this game is going to sell like crap, unfortunately, but not because of quality or anything like that.

Make no mistake about it, they're giving it a high review based on the art style. The demo is fairly bland but the art is fantastic. The platforming is janky at best, and I often barely missed or over jumped areas due to how they were laid out. Several sections required jumps while in other areas you could walk across the same style floor with holes in it. The combat was fair, but having to recharge your weapon was obnoxious as hell because of the ridiculously long "cleansing" animation.

If you honestly think American reviewers are going to give this game better than an 8, you're fooling yourself. They're going to be be brutal to it - because you'll find better platforming and better combat in Outland. They may even argue that while El Shaddai uses terrific watercolor and light pastels, Outland's shadow and neon mix is an even better contrast that doesn't distract or make the game harder to play.

I hope it does well, but I have a feeling this one's gonna be missed by the majority of gamers.

[quote name='xilly']Make no mistake about it, they're giving it a high review based on the art style. The demo is fairly bland but the art is fantastic. The platforming is janky at best, and I often barely missed or over jumped areas due to how they were laid out. Several sections required jumps while in other areas you could walk across the same style floor with holes in it. The combat was fair, but having to recharge your weapon was obnoxious as hell because of the ridiculously long "cleansing" animation.

If you honestly think American reviewers are going to give this game better than an 8, you're fooling yourself. They're going to be be brutal to it - because you'll find better platforming and better combat in Outland. They may even argue that while El Shaddai uses terrific watercolor and light pastels, Outland's shadow and neon mix is an even better contrast that doesn't distract or make the game harder to play.

I hope it does well, but I have a feeling this one's gonna be missed by the majority of gamers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had the same impression. The artstyle wasn't amazing IMO, but it does make the game stand out. I'm predicting the game will score no better than a 7 on average if the demo is any indication on how the full game will be.

[quote name='Vortextk']If you steal weapons it'll always be automatically cleansed for free.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the weapons degrade with use and require being re-cleansed. Thus my complaint about the animation taking so long, because you're vulnerable while he's doing it.

For those waiting on more reviews, Famitsu scored El Shaddai a 9/8/8/9 in Japan, and Edge Magazine gave it an 8/10 in the new print issue. For comparison, Edge gave InFamous 2 a 6/10 and Witcher 2 a 6/10 in the same issue, and scored Shadows of the Damned a 5/10.

The projectile weapon in the demo was WEAKSAUCE for the close quarters battles. Still I love the rendering and the diff vibe of the story. Reminds me of some Suda stuff. I'll cop when GF sells it for $12.99 used round 12/1/2011.

[quote name='benmonkey']For those waiting on more reviews, Famitsu scored El Shaddai a 9/8/8/9 in Japan, and Edge Magazine gave it an 8/10 in the new print issue. For comparison, Edge gave InFamous 2 a 6/10 and Witcher 2 a 6/10 in the same issue, and scored Shadows of the Damned a 5/10.[/QUOTE]
So basically, don't take Edge reviews seriously?

Why does everyone think this is an XBLA/PSN title? This game looks beautiful if you ask me.

Just because the game doesn't have the technical grit of something like Gears of War, that doesn't mean it's not worth getting a full retail price.

I'm not saying I would buy it at full price (then again I haven't actually paid for a full price game in a long time), but it does seem like a very fun game. I have to agree though, as niche of a title this is, the price will probably drop fast.

[quote name='xilly']Yes, but the weapons degrade with use and require being re-cleansed. Thus my complaint about the animation taking so long, because you're vulnerable while he's doing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah like being vulnerable when you reload. Seemingly, you're supposed to steal weapons as often as possible.

[quote name='vrblknch']The projectile weapon in the demo was WEAKSAUCE for the close quarters battles. Still I love the rendering and the diff vibe of the story. Reminds me of some Suda stuff. I'll cop when GF sells it for $12.99 used round 12/1/2011.[/QUOTE]

I realize it's not the same like bayonetta or DMC because you don't have another weapon equipped, but isn't that usually the weakness of ranged weapons? 22:50 here is a pretty sick attack
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron/17-3937/

[quote name='Vortextk']Yeah like being vulnerable when you reload. Seemingly, you're supposed to steal weapons as often as possible.

I realize it's not the same like bayonetta or DMC because you don't have another weapon equipped, but isn't that usually the weakness of ranged weapons? 22:50 here is a pretty sick attack
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron/17-3937/[/QUOTE]

You know what. That was cool. This game does look cool. But I can't cop it for $60 right now.

bread's done
Back