Seagate 750gb 7200rpm 2.5" (PS3) Hard Drive + Free Shipping = $74.99

Muthafodder

Banned
For those that would like to upgrade their PS3 hard drive, I found a pretty good deal on Newegg for a 720gb Seagate Hard Drive.

I have a 120gb in one PS3 and 500gb in the other and needed a larger one to transfer everything over to the 120gb PS3. With this much storage space you will have 700+ gigs of storage space after the system files...plenty of space.

Here are the specs:

750GBSATA

3.0Gb/s

16MB Cache

7200 RPM

The hard drive is normally $89.99 and is already $5 off, but Newegg is also providing an additional code for another $10 off (EMCKDGK52)...making it $74.99 and about $0.10 a gigabyte!

Bonus to those that get to take advantage of tax free purchases from Newegg.

Offer ends 7/6/11

Current Amazon price is $84.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kaiser499']Can PS3's even handle a hard drive above 500?[/QUOTE]

FAT32 has a current limit of 2TB

I believe there was more concern over the increase of the RPMs over the standard 5400, but that has been debunked with users seeing faster load times, albeit small increases.

Well, the only drawback is that 7200RPM drives are loud and produces more heat than the 5400RPM, hence why 5400RPM ones are recommended.

Too bad the PS3 doesn't use the FAT32 file system internally. I am unsure what the limit the PS3 can see, but I THINK 720GB would work.

Also, people did tests on these and the heat it generates is marginal and the speed increase is marginal as well. Basically, just look at this as a 720GB HDD for $75. Ignore the speed part.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']...but I THINK 720GB would work....[/QUOTE]

Folks have been using 1TB storage for years in their PS3s.

I'm looking forward to SSD tech to come down in price.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Apparently there is a noticeable increase in speed...a whopping 34 seconds ;)

Speed Test - Killzone 2[/QUOTE]

Did people really do tests on whether or not higher spindle speeds result in faster performance? What do they think RPM stands for, Rapes Per Monkey? :roll:

[quote name='Muthafodder']I do too...but I figured I would try Seagate again...it's been 8 years since my personal vendetta...[/QUOTE]

I've been using a 250gb Seagate in my PS3 for years. Seagate and Western Digital are always my first two choices. Don't know what your vendetta is, but I know a bad drive can leave a terrible impression.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']I've been using a 250gb Seagate in my PS3 for years. Seagate and Western Digital are always my first two choices. Don't know what your vendetta is, but I know a bad drive can leave a terrible impression.[/QUOTE]

I purchased a pimped out Dell 8400 desktop nearly 8 years ago...the stock Seagate failed just outside warranty...mere days...I was shot down from Dell and Seagate and swore them off.

I still use the 8400 as a home server though, the dual core processor at 3.6GHz still holds it's weight with upgraded RAM. Most experienced capacitor failure of the 8400 motherboard :fingers crossed: the desktop itself has been great.

At that time Seagate had high failure rates but have since rebounded, and as you've said, the consensus is nowadays that neither is superior in failure rates.

I just chalk up the failure rates to early adopters of new hard drives that are eventually fixed with newer firmware builds.

[quote name='Blade']Did people really do tests on whether or not spindle speeds result in faster performance? What do they think RPM stands for, Rapes Per Monkey? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Dude, I saw it on YouTube...it's gotta be legit.

For those who would prefer a 5400 rpm 750 GB HD, Fry's has a Hitachi for $60. Picked one up, but haven't installed it yet.

Careful. I read there is a very high defect rate with the Momentus. I can tell you that installed Hitachi Travelstar drives on both my laptop and PS3 - couldn't be happier. They're more quite than both of my previous drives. Plus, cooler and faster (I went from 5400 to 7200 on both). And there is a noticeable performance increase (in the PS3 too).

[quote name='getstew']Careful. I read there is a very high defect rate with the Momentus. I can tell you that installed Hitachi Travelstar drives on both my laptop and PS3 - couldn't be happier. They're more quite than both of my previous drives. Plus, cooler and faster (I went from 5400 to 7200 on both). And there is a noticeable performance increase (in the PS3 too).[/QUOTE]

From the looks of the reviews (*all Momentus hard drive models), it appears that if you are going to get a "lemon" it will be obvious fairly soon, with that said there are warranties and it also appears that more people are satisfied than displeased...which is the case for most hard drives nowadays.

I also take any reviews online with a grain of salt what with competition, fanboys, and all...

It's also worth noting that all reviewers at Newegg that stated the hard drive was for their PS3 left a 5-star review.

[quote name='Muthafodder']For those that would like to upgrade their PS3 hard drive, I found a pretty good deal on Newegg for a 720gb Seagate Hard Drive.

I have a 120gb in one PS3 and 500gb in the other and needed a larger one to transfer everything over to the 120gb PS3. With this much storage space you will have 700+ gigs of storage space after the system files...plenty of space.

Here are the specs:

750GBSATA

3.0Gb/s

16MB Cache

7200 RPM

The hard drive is normally $89.99 and is already $5 off, but Newegg is also providing an additional code for another $10 off (EMCKDGK52)...making it $74.99 and about $0.10 a gigabyte!

Bonus to those that get to take advantage of tax free purchases from Newegg.

Offer ends 7/6/11

Current Amazon price is $84.99
[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it will be cheaper around Black Friday? I know I'm waiting for a cheap 32 gb micro sd for my phone.

I've had multiple WD Scorpio Black drives in my primary PC and they run very fast, they're cool and they have five year warranties on them. They've all been rock solid and I've gone through upgrades of 320GB to 500GB to 750GB and each drive upgrade has been faster due to tighter areal density on the platters.

The Momentus drives only have two year warranties, plus they have had higher than expected failure / issue rates over other comparable drives.

Is there a way to transfer downloaded games, etc. from the old ps3 HDD to the new one like you can with the 360 HDD or do you have to redownload it all?

[quote name='ted_bundy']Is there a way to transfer downloaded games, etc. from the old ps3 HDD to the new one like you can with the 360 HDD or do you have to redownload it all?[/QUOTE]

You can if you have two PS3s.
Or, you can backup and restore on the new hard drive.

[quote name='ted_bundy']Is there a way to transfer downloaded games, etc. from the old ps3 HDD to the new one like you can with the 360 HDD or do you have to redownload it all?[/QUOTE]

You can use an external hard drive to transfer your old hard drive to the new one. If that's a possible option for you. I just got a new hard drive for my PS3 and that's what I did. It transferred everything perfectly, even the files larger than 4GB that I thought wouldn't be copied over. Or if you meant you're getting a second PS3 and you want to just transfer one directly to the other... there's an option to link up your PS3's and do that.

I bought a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue hard drive for my PS3 a couple days ago. I've heard some stories of the PS3 dying faster with the 7200 hard drives. Whether or not that's true, I'm not sure. Some people swear it's not true, some swear it can cause issues. It might only be true in the case of the older systems, which I have (60gb). So I decided to play it safe and go with a 5400. I doubt I'd notice games loading a few seconds faster in certain games anyway. Not all games get a big decrease in loading times. A lot of games only get a small decrease with the 7200... like one or two seconds faster than a 5400. Depends on the game though.

But this is a good deal on the hard drive.

[quote name='illmatic21']You can use an external hard drive to transfer your old hard drive to the new one. If that's a possible option for you. I just got a new hard drive for my PS3 and that's what I did. It transferred everything perfectly, even the files larger than 4GB that I thought wouldn't be copied over. Or if you meant you're getting a second PS3 and you want to just transfer one directly to the other... there's an option to link up your PS3's and do that.[/QUOTE]

Does that external HD have to be completely empty or can you use one that already has files on it?

Use an Ethernet cable. I just transferred 100 gigs and it took just over an hour[quote name='ted_bundy']Is there a way to transfer downloaded games, etc. from the old ps3 HDD to the new one like you can with the 360 HDD or do you have to redownload it all?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blahtastic']Does that external HD have to be completely empty or can you use one that already has files on it?[/QUOTE]
Check out the HD Upgrade Thread in the PS3 forum. I think you need a certain partition on your external but you can in theory have HD with files on it as long as you have the right partition made.

looks like a nice drive for my mid-2009 macbook pro. i had a 5400rpm WD blue and it was lagging like hell. spinning beach ball every few secs. cant seem to fix it.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Folks have been using 1TB storage for years in their PS3s.

I'm looking forward to SSD tech to come down in price.[/QUOTE]

They need to implement some stuff to make SSD even viable. Popping an SSD in a PS3 is a waste.

Also, some of the newest 7200 drives are more quiet and cooler than 5400 drives. I highly recommend WD Scorpio Blacks for this reason.

I bought this right before it dropped to $75 (I paid $80 which isn't bad still). I have the original 60GB PS3, and the 750GB drive runs cooler than the old 60GB. The highest temp. the 60GB reached was 54C, I haven't taken out the 750GB again to see what it reached but after trying to restore all my data, it was 44 or 46C.

[quote name='blahtastic']Does that external HD have to be completely empty or can you use one that already has files on it?[/QUOTE]

The external HDD must be formatted as FAT32.

[quote name='cheapfrag']The external HDD must be formatted as FAT32.[/QUOTE]

you can still use a drive that has stuff on it as long as you make one FAT32 partition, and the other partitions aren't FAT32. I did this on a drive with 2 ntfs partitions and one FAT32, and the PS3 recognized the FAT32 partition properly (ignored the ntfs ones).

Slims have a 700GB limit. I bought this exact same hdd last month from newegg and my PS3 slim only saw it as a 700GB hdd before formatting.

BTW, this is a great HDD. Very fast and no issues whatsoever. Quiet too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='norkusa']Slims have a 700GB limit. I bought this exact same hdd last month from newegg and my PS3 slim only saw it as a 700GB hdd after installation.

BTW, this is a great HDD. Very fast and no issues whatsoever. Quiet too.[/QUOTE]

its like that. if u put that in the computer, u will see around 698GB. i bought a 2TB external drive and it shows up like around 1.8TB

[quote name='norkusa']Slims have a 700GB limit. I bought this exact same hdd last month from newegg and my PS3 slim only saw it as a 700GB hdd after installation.

BTW, this is a great HDD. Very fast and no issues whatsoever. Quiet too.[/QUOTE]

Let me guess, it showed up as a 698.49 GB. If so, your PS3 saw all of it. Welcome to the world of two definitions for kilobyte.

bread's done
Back