Tetris Party Deluxe Wii = almost universal price drop $19.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

donssword

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Spotted Tetris Party Deluxe Wii marked down to $19.99 at Target over the weekend. Walmart.com has marked it down as well. Its missing from Kmart.com, BestBuy.com, Target.com (yup), and Amazon is still $22.99 (marked down from $29.99). It has been previously reported as a Target clearance item in March, but most stores have it now as a full price item (go figure).

Worth every penny at $19.99, even at $29.99 (IMHO). This is an extended version of Tetris Party WiiWare with extra modes, but the same gameplay. It scored 4 point lower (72 instead of 76) than the WiiWare version on MetaCritic because reviewers said it did not offer enough extra content for the extra money spent. The WiiWare version is 1200 points ($12).

Personally, I'm a big fan of this version, as it works well with both casual and hardcore players, and doesn't require everyone to own a DS in order to play. Online does not require friend codes, and it connects easily. It has Mii support (incl online), which is always a plus. I thought buying Tetris was sort of stupid, given how you can play a million clones of it on your PC, and I bought this on a fluke when I had some extra cash, and I have found myself very happy with it. I first played Tetris in 1992, and this seems like a great evolution of the series.

It smells like Tetris, it tastes like Tetris, it plays like Tetris. If you don't own every platform ever made, and you want Tetris to play on your TV with friends, this one is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I was less impressed with this iteration than Tetris DS and the original Tetris Party for Wiiware. The modes left me wanting, and with the recent PS3/Minis Tetris, there's simply better versions out there. Mii support is cool for a while, but all in all it just doesn't quite feel like OG nor the next-gen Tetris experience. This is a weird Tengen-like flavor.

Hit or miss, but more power to anyone favoring this over the other versions mentioned prior.

My all-time favs are:

1. Tetris DS(Among my fav by natural ease-of-use. EVERYTHING is tight on controls.)
2. Tetris Evolution(Sadly online is dead)
3. Tetris Minis(PS3/PSP)
4. Tetris Party(Wiiware, among the better online versions)
5. Tetris Splash(Better online lobby, but the lack of modes kills it)

[quote name='donssword']Spotted Tetris Party Deluxe Wii marked down to $19.99 at Target over the weekend. Walmart.com has marked it down as well.

Its missing from Kmart.com, BestBuy.com, Target.com (yup), and Amazon is still $22.99 (marked down from $29.99).

This game is like crack. If you ever enjoyed Tetris at any time in your life, this game brings it all back. For the gaming hardcore that likes puzzles, this is the puzzle king on the Wii. Puzzle Quest Wii screwed-the-pooch with incredibly bad controls, but Tetris shows how simple it all can be. Worth every penny at $19.99, even at $29.99.

Online does not require friend codes, and it connects easily. It has Mii support (incl online), which is always a plus.[/QUOTE]

YMMV but target has clearanced this for $7.48

Whats the main difference between this and the WiiWare version? Are the differences worth getting the disc version?

[quote name='thegame85']Wii games.... :\[/QUOTE]

Solid contribution.

The Wiiware version is pretty solid, but as mentioned above, there are better Tetris options out there. I echo the love for Tetris DS, which has been popping up on Amazon Warehouse. And the PSN version is still on sale, I believe.

It's Tetris. It's an official release. It's on the Wii. It's physical media. It received positive reviews. It has the classic game of Tetris. It has versions with power-ups. It has several flavors of multiplayer with power-ups. It has online.

It feels better than Tetris Worlds on the GBA, and the multiplayer is more convenient as I don't need to get everyone their own DS.

The primary criticism leveled at it by reviewers was that it didn't offer enough to rebuy if you already had the WiiWare version. They said extra modes did not equal extra value. $12 for download vs $20 for physical media. I prefer physical media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been trying to add this to my collection forever but didn't want to pay $30. Went to 3 different Targets today and they had ZERO copies. Finally at the last one, I asked the girl to check surrounding stores and only 2 stores had one left each. Since I didn't want to drive around anymore, nor take the chance of them being the display copies that get crushed on the back of the case with that stupid locking mechanism they use, I quickly checked Amazon and saw it was $19.96 as well. When I got home to order, I noticed it was still in stock, but dropped to 8 copies left (7 after I ordered), so this may not be the best version, but obviously, some people out there are interested in obtaining a copy. Heads up to all still looking and thanks OP!:D

[quote name='GreenSpark'] Heads up to all still looking and thanks OP!:D[/QUOTE]

Congrats--I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Tetris is Tetris, and this version is pretty darn good, regardless of what you might hear.

Are there any benefits the Wii version of TPDX has over the WiiWare version?
All I can think of, are those sweet C.N coins. ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back