I think this guy has us all beat

[quote name='Javery']Wow what a colossal waste of time and money.[/QUOTE]

Y'know, I kind of agree... considering the mass amounts of PS2 games made, that certainly had to cost more to assemble than it'll ever be worth. Plus, I don't really get collecting sealed games. Games are supposed to be played, why keep it in the wrapper? It's one thing to have a few sealed games just because you didn't play them right away, but this seems a bit silly.

I imagine this'll seem a lot more impressive in 5-10 years time, when PS2 games start to get scarce in the wild.

It's amazing to see that many games all in one place, but damn that is such a waste of money. It makes me wonder what if he actually plays anything.

I'm curious how many PS2 games he has that aren't sealed. I have more sealed games than I'd like to admit, but it kind of saddens me to think these will all sit on a shelf unplayed. My collection is beyond absurd (and I only have a few hundred PS2 games), but I like to think of it as a library that I could play at any time.

It's his money, so whatever brings him joy, though.
I am certainly in no position to shake my head considering the money I've spent on video games over the years.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I imagine this'll seem a lot more impressive in 5-10 years time, when PS2 games start to get scarce in the wild.[/QUOTE]

I hope for his sake he still feels that way. Or he could wake up in five years and think "Oh shit, why did I buy all these sealed copies of games that I have zero interest in."

I don't really understand the point of entire-console collections. It would be one thing if he had all of the really great games, or even every JRPG, or something like that. But for every Shadow Hearts Covenant or Katamari Damacy, he probably has 5-10 licensed pieces of shit. That almost spoils the collection more than it adds to it.

This is awesome. I totally get it. Some people are collectors by nature, and some are dedicated. Like, for example - I cant own marvel zombies, with out owning every single book in the collection. I wonder what his hardest game to obtain was?

Collecting stuff like this just for the sake of collecting it is one step away from those nutjobs you see on Hoarders - and it's a very small step.

[quote name='Spyder187']Who wants to bet this guy has never seen a vagina up close and personal?[/QUOTE]

If he has all that money to blow on games, he can spare a few bucks for a hooker.

meh_cat.jpg

I'd be more impressed if he actually played all of the games, but as the article says, he just collects them, and that's a different beast on its own.

I posted this in the PS2 section yesterday, guess nobody goes there anymore.:lol:

I kinda agree and I kinda don't. As a collector, it's incredible that he got all PS2 games sealed, not to mention the Elemental Gearbolt Assassin's Case and the 2x Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Editions.

But the part where he says he paid retail for most games just to keep them sealed is where I think "what a waste". I've got just over 300 sealed games (across all systems) and only paid full retail for maybe 15% and over retail for about ~5%. And as mentioned, most of those games are gonna appreciate in 5-10 years. Don't forget, the PS2 gave birth to a huge generation of gamers and collectors.

BTW, original post at PS Collecting has a lot more info than this blog spam website (but the site is currently down).
http://www.playstationcollecting.co...ectors-full-playstation-2-ntsc-library-sealed

I'm with you on this one.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Someone goes to his house... "Which game can we play?" Him "I don't play games"[/QUOTE]

About sums up why I am not in love with the idea of collecting games for the sake of having a collection.

Can't help but thinking what a waste. Some of the CEs and scarcer games are impressive but why would anyone want or buy a sealed copy of some generic sports title or terrible shovelware. I could even see having 1 of each for his crazy ocd collection but having several duplicates of awful titles just makes me think he has a few screws loose.

[quote name='Vinny']I've got just over 300 sealed games (across all systems) and only paid full retail for maybe 15% and over retail for about ~5%. And as mentioned, most of those games are gonna appreciate in 5-10 years. Don't forget, the PS2 gave birth to a huge generation of gamers and collectors. [/QUOTE]

This is highly intriguing to me. So lets run with your numbers.

• 15% of your collection you paid retail (45 games at lets say $50 a pop = $2,250)
  • 5% of your collection you paid over retail (15 games at lets say $75 a pop = $1,125)
  • 80% of your collection you paid under retail (240 games at lets say [very generously] $10 a pop = $2,400)
This brings us to a grand total of $5,775 which is probably underestimating it a bit. That is a lot of money. Do you really think in 5-10 years someone is going to be willing pay over that amount for all of those games? All but a select few of them probably aren't even worth playing (especially since many AAA PS2 games are being remade/rereleased for current gen consoles).

I may be way off base because I don't know anything about the hobby of purely collecting video games but this sounds completely insane to me (although I have hobbies that I'm sure other people look at and go WTF? so I'm not one to judge). I guess I just don't get it but I am definitely fascinated.

[quote name='Javery']This is highly intriguing to me. So lets run with your numbers.

• 15% of your collection you paid retail (45 games at lets say $50 a pop = $2,250)
  • 5% of your collection you paid over retail (15 games at lets say $75 a pop = $1,125)
  • 80% of your collection you paid under retail (240 games at lets say [very generously] $10 a pop = $2,400)
This brings us to a grand total of $5,775 which is probably underestimating it a bit. That is a lot of money. Do you really think in 5-10 years someone is going to be willing pay over that amount for all of those games? All but a select few of them probably aren't even worth playing (especially since many AAA PS2 games are being remade/rereleased for current gen consoles).

I may be way off base because I don't know anything about the hobby of purely collecting video games but this sounds completely insane to me (although I have hobbies that I'm sure other people look at and go WTF? so I'm not one to judge). I guess I just don't get it but I am definitely fascinated.[/QUOTE]

Full retail is the retail price at the time... I rarely buy games at release (I've had 5 release date purchases over the last 3 years). I usually wait until they hit Greatest Hits or Player's Choice, during which I seek out a non-GH/PC copy (which is the same price). So yeah, I paid $50-80 (special editions) for some games but I paid $20-30 most which is also considered "retail" to me.

Under retail is clearance prices over the years, most of which I walked out like a bandit.
TRU: averaged $10-30 on games; including many times when clearance products were discounted anywhere from 25-40% or combined with B2G1Fs.
Various CC sales & clearances: $5 clearance sale, $9 GBA clearance sale, $10 clearance sale and the normal $17 clearance titles
Kmart: the prices weren't great but they had some very rare games.
eBay: every now and then, you can luck out and find some good deals.

Not everything I buy goes to my collection either a lot of it is traded or sold, which goes goes to fund my "over retail" purchases.

Oh, and consider that this didn't happen over night. It happened over a span of 8 years.

It's a complicated process. I think a lot of CAGs have the misconception that us collectors just go out buy games at full price and go excellent...

This.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't really understand the point of entire-console collections. It would be one thing if he had all of the really great games, or even every JRPG, or something like that. But for every Shadow Hearts Covenant or Katamari Damacy, he probably has 5-10 licensed pieces of shit. That almost spoils the collection more than it adds to it.[/QUOTE]

THIS.

[quote name='Javery']Collecting stuff like this just for the sake of collecting it is one step away from those nutjobs you see on Hoarders - and it's a very small step.[/QUOTE]

THIS!!!

One point to add though, in regards to collecting:

As far as Vinny's collection goes, from what I've seen of it mainly in the "show us your collection thread", it's FAR more of the QUALITY vs. quantity that this complete PS2 collector is giong for.

Not to speak for you Vinny, but from what I saw of your collection I saw an overwhelming amount of A+ titles, RPGs, rarities, high values and collector's/limited editions etc. I doubt you bother with sealed copies of garbage/licensed titles like the PS2 guy obviously did in order to have a "complete" US lineup.

When I worked at Gamestop a few years ago *when the still sold NES/Genesis games* A guy came in and asked for some rare titles.. He said he was trying to collect every NES game ever made.. I wonder if he ever did...

[quote name='shadyfozzie']When I worked at Gamestop a few years ago *when the still sold NES/Genesis games* A guy came in and asked for some rare titles.. He said he was trying to collect every NES game ever made.. I wonder if he ever did...[/QUOTE]
Isn't there a guy on CAG who has every NES game?

nintendo_ebay_010-774x401.jpg

:hot:

I think there's a stage where you become less of a collector and more of a museum, and that there Ahans76 guy has reached it. Could you imagine trying to sell that stuff off? You'd need to bring in other folks as estate managers or you'd go nuts.

[quote name='karkyco']One point to add though, in regards to collecting:

As far as Vinny's collection goes, from what I've seen of it mainly in the "show us your collection thread", it's FAR more of the QUALITY vs. quantity that this complete PS2 collector is giong for.

Not to speak for you Vinny, but from what I saw of your collection I saw an overwhelming amount of A+ titles, RPGs, rarities, high values and collector's/limited editions etc. I doubt you bother with sealed copies of garbage/licensed titles like the PS2 guy obviously did in order to have a "complete" US lineup.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I appreciate that. I try to buy games I actually want to play. If the sealed copy does go up in value by the time I get to it, I can always sell it and buy a cheapo copy later.

And for the record, I've got a few crappy games... I mean, it's hard to turn down something you find for $5 and some of them aren't all that bad.:lol:

[quote name='Vinny']It's a complicated process. I think a lot of CAGs have the misconception that us collectors just go out buy games at full price and go excellent...[/QUOTE]

Yes - this is exactly what I think! Now it makes a little more sense to me. Still, I just couldn't imagine trying to amass a collection of anything like the one in the OP (games, stamps, coins, baseball cards, whatever). I mean, what do you do with it? Just look at it? Sleep better at night knowing it's in the house? I just don't understand.

[quote name='Javery']Yes - this is exactly what I think! Now it makes a little more sense to me. Still, I just couldn't imagine trying to amass a collection of anything like the one in the OP (games, stamps, coins, baseball cards, whatever). I mean, what do you do with it? Just look at it? Sleep better at night knowing it's in the house? I just don't understand.[/QUOTE]

Dust it off from time to time takes pictures to send to places and that is about it. Now i'm wondering if he at least collected every version of the ps2 while at it.

[quote name='Javery']Yes - this is exactly what I think! Now it makes a little more sense to me. Still, I just couldn't imagine trying to amass a collection of anything like the one in the OP (games, stamps, coins, baseball cards, whatever). I mean, what do you do with it? Just look at it? Sleep better at night knowing it's in the house? I just don't understand.[/QUOTE]

I (and I assume most sane collectors) see it as an investment. I've heard numerous CAGs over the years say, "if you wanna invest, then buy stocks/bonds/CDs". It's funny how I don't hear those things anymore for some reason.;)

In all seriousness, there are risks just like any investment. If there's a tornado or fire or some other type of natural disaster, I'm fucked (unless the price of burnt plastic and ash skyrockets). But if the investment fails, at the very least, I'll have some games to play.

The reason why I chose to invest in collecting games is because it just makes sense to me: I enjoy playing games, talking about games, and reviewing games. So as an investment, half of my work is pretty much done. With any type of monetary investment, I'd have to do research into an environment that's overly complicated with rules/regulations/restrictions that have basically been set in place by those who already control the market and have decades of experience.

[quote name='Vinny']If there's a tornado or fire or some other type of natural disaster, I'm fucked (unless the price of burnt plastic and ash skyrockets).[/QUOTE]
You should look into collector's insurance, then ;)

[quote name='Vinny']I (and I assume most sane collectors) see it as an investment. I've heard numerous CAGs over the years say, "if you wanna invest, then buy stocks/bonds/CDs". It's funny how I don't hear those things anymore for some reason.;)

In all seriousness, there are risks just like any investment. If there's a tornado or fire or some other type of natural disaster, I'm fucked (unless the price of burnt plastic and ash skyrockets). But if the investment fails, at the very least, I'll have some games to play.

The reason why I chose to invest in collecting games is because it just makes sense to me: I enjoy playing games, talking about games, and reviewing games. So as an investment, half of my work is pretty much done. With any type of monetary investment, I'd have to do research into an environment that's overly complicated with rules/regulations/restrictions that have basically been set in place by those who already control the market and have decades of experience.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, investing in what you know for sure. It's still possible to get games of value for pennies on the dollar; and unlike coins, baseball cards, and stamps you have a thriving collector scene that doesn't seem like it's going to die off anytime soon. The great thing about video games is that I have items of worth (to me) that are close at hand, and no dealer is going to snooker me in regards to what I think are good games. Nobody's going to tell me that a Like New game should be graded closer to Fair so they can get a $10,000 discount (as in the case of coins and cards). I have the power from my own experience, knowing what I like and what I'll spend as a buyer.

"...still wrapped in original packaging and in mint condition."

I will snicker just a bit if he opens those games years from now and finds a few with blank CD-Rs inside.

There's people who are posting in this topic who still have massive backlogs and consider this guy an idiot. Why are you guys hating on him? The irony...

In 100 years, that entire collection could fetch far more than what he paid for it. I don't think he went through all the trouble to resell it in 10 years.

This is coming from a guy who doesn't care about video game collectibles at all and owns an Xbox 360. I'm not a fanboy or anything. I just hope he has a sealed PS2 included with all those games!

[quote name='Vinny']It's a complicated process. I think a lot of CAGs have the misconception that us collectors just go out buy games at full price and go excellent...[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly! I sure have my fair share of crappy games to boot, but if it was less than

Granted the PS2 has one of the best catalogs in gaming history, with Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, etc., there's gotta be a ton of crap in there too.

This collection is akin to buying books that you never read, or buying paintings and hanging them backwards. What's the point?

This analogy sums up my feelings:

While it may be cool to have an unopened jumbo box of condoms sitting in the cabinet, it's way more fun to be down to your last one of a three pack. ;)

I'm glad the vast majority sees collecting sealed games as a worthless and stupid endeavor. Certainly sealed copies of Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and a wealth of other titles are worthless. Why would anyone in their right mind have kept those around?

Like I said, I'm glad most of you think it is stupid. It will keep the hobby from suffering the same fate comic books suffered in the 90s.

For the record, even a few stupid, shitty, shovelware titles go on to be worth money sealed - there's even yearly iterated sports titles that are worth a good chunk of change in new condition (believe it or not there is a valuable Madden game).

But seriously, this guy has got to be an idiot to keep this stuff around!! :roll:

I will admit that a large portion of this guy's collection will go on to be worthless, but there will likely be more than enough appreciation on the rest to cover the flops.

[quote name='shadyfozzie']When I worked at Gamestop a few years ago *when the still sold NES/Genesis games* A guy came in and asked for some rare titles.. He said he was trying to collect every NES game ever made.. I wonder if he ever did...[/QUOTE]

I know a few people that have full NES collections, or at least close to full collections. There's not too much on NES that is especially rare or expensive, and you can get probably 90% or more of the full library for less than $5 each. Most people end up missing out on the extreme rarities like Stadium Events, The Panesians, etc. as well as the stupid expensive stuff like Bubble Bobble 2, Flintstones 2, a few of the Color Dreams titles, Action 52, etc. For what Bubble Bobble 2 and Panic Restaurant would cost you combined, you could probably purchase 200+ lesser NES titles.

Shit, he's got NCAA March Madness 2003 sealed? Damn, that dude's got enough to retire on. ;)

Mindless consumption at its finest. I buy games to play and beat. Almost every game I own (with the exception of my backlog) I have played and beaten. I agree that he is totally missing the point.

i have no opinion one way or the other about the guy...
why bad mouth him though?

...if he spent $30K on a watch or some other depreciating asset, everyone would be cool.
but since it's video games, people assume he is either a "moron" investor or a hoarder.

jealous much?

[quote name='continuegaming']...if he spent $30K on a watch or some other depreciating asset, everyone would be cool. [/QUOTE]
Sure about that? :whistle2:s

A watch is a bad example. If someone bought a $30,000 car, nobody would say a word. A $15,000 car and $15,000 in video games? Well obviously he's a sexless loser worthy of scorn.

bread's done
Back