Dragon Boxes 23.99 @ Amazon +others

Sporkis

Barley Legal
Feedback
77 (100%)
Amazon apparently is having a massive sale in Movies & TV. I went through there anime & manga listing for the sale and found the DBZ Dragon Boxes numbers 1-6(with #6 coming out in a week or so) for 23.99 each. Which is freaking awesome. Cheapest I've seen, and I've been watching them for a while now. Needed to fill in my gap of boxset 4 which I haven't seen lower than 40 bucks or so. I also replace an order for boxset 6 and saved another 7 bucks on it, I know amazon would have most likely adjust my previous order for it but I needed to fill in that 1.01 for free shipping. :lol:

Anyhow here's a link for,
Just the Anime

thats on sale. Mostly just DBZ, Bleach, & Naruto. But there are a few other jems in it somewhere. Also some live action stuff.

Well, crap. I just ordered Box 5 a couple of weeks ago, and haven't even opened it. :/

Ordering 6 ASAP though. Thanks, OP!

man the dragon boxes look tempting but I bought all the remasters when a BB nearby had them for $10 a piece during an anime closeout. I highly recommend Hunter X Hunter seasons 1 - 4 to anyone looking for a wildly imaginative anime series. My only complaint is that they still haven't released the OVA episodes that take place after season 4 ends. Definitely worth the buy.

Those thin Bleach box sets should retail for $25 after they scrapped the original design for the box sets. I'm still mad that it's just a basic DVD case with 3 DVDs now. The original sets came in a nice cardboard set with 5 DVDs (usually the whole season or most of it) and came with a poster. I think Naruto went the same route as well, as the Shippuden sets included each DVD in thin DVD cases and now they've been reduced down to just a DVD case (Bleach did this during the Bount box sets, and yes, I sadly bought them).

I'm just a fan of looking at DVD artwork for anime because they all look really good.

I don't know how long it has been this price (update: This is Amazon's Deal of the Week) but I noticed Amazon has Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box sets for just $23.99 each. That's about the cheapest you'll find for these great DVD sets for right now. The first Six are available for this price, which includes eps 1-250. The last one, Box Seven is a pre-order for $31.99.

Dragon Box One
Dragon Box Two
Dragon Box Three
Dragon Box Four
Dragon Box Five
Dragon Box Six

Unboxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3hkkvHuCGY

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! The Dragon Boxes were this price about the same time last year. I've been holding out for a while to get my hands on box four and beyond. As big of a Dragon Ball fan I was as a kid, I never did finish watching the Cell saga and even the entire Majin Buu saga since finding the episodes were so difficult to find. Ordering boxes four and five. Will get six next year so I can get FSSS with seven.

Edit: Oops, they were $26.99 last year so this is the cheapest they've been!

Thanks, I have been waiting for these sets to get below $25. Hopefully set 7 isn't going to take too long to get to this price as well.

[quote name='SanjiX']Those thin Bleach box sets should retail for $25 after they scrapped the original design for the box sets. I'm still mad that it's just a basic DVD case with 3 DVDs now. The original sets came in a nice cardboard set with 5 DVDs (usually the whole season or most of it) and came with a poster. I think Naruto went the same route as well, as the Shippuden sets included each DVD in thin DVD cases and now they've been reduced down to just a DVD case (Bleach did this during the Bount box sets, and yes, I sadly bought them).

I'm just a fan of looking at DVD artwork for anime because they all look really good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I stopped buying the Bleach sets because of that. Well that and drastically reducing the episode count while still charging the same price for them. They shouldn't even call them a boxset imo. As far as packaging goes I didn't mind the switch to the think-pak box style the bount arc had, but after that....meah.

[quote name='shadow17x']I highly recommend Hunter X Hunter seasons 1 - 4 to anyone looking for a wildly imaginative anime series. My only complaint is that they still haven't released the OVA episodes that take place after season 4 ends. Definitely worth the buy.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='milesbeyond']It looks like Vol 2 is sold out... :([/QUOTE]

Damn I was hoping to buy all 1-5 and pre order 6 at one time!

Nice, I'm gonna get 4-6. I'm also gonna pick up the DBZ Kai sets, since I've never seen them so low. Most are under $16 on blu! And I think I'll pick up that Samurai Champloo blu for $22.99. There really are a lot of great deals here, not just on the dragon boxes!

I used to watch DBZ about 13 years ago back in HS with friends through fan made subbed VHS tapes. Now, my little sister enjoys watching the redo's on TV. To understand the differences between this Dragon Box set stuff and the season boxes I see at Best Buy...help me out.. The Dragon Box sets are basically remastered versions of how they were when I watched it back in the day and the season boxes I see at Best Buy are pretty much what my sister watches, right? She's been talking about buying the seasons and I'm curious which we should get. If it's even worth it getting the Dragon Boxes instead, ya know? Any help?

I really am tempted by these sets..

..but I've already ordered all of the DBZ Kai Blu-rays that have been released.

Any idea if these will ever get a Blu release? Or should I seriously consider buying these sets? I wouldn't mind having all the Kai Blu-rays AND these if it is indeed worth it..

EDIT:
Dragon Box Two seems to be out of stock from Amazon.

[quote name='gldoorii']I used to watch DBZ about 13 years ago back in HS with friends through fan made subbed VHS tapes. Now, my little sister enjoys watching the redo's on TV. To understand the differences between this Dragon Box set stuff and the season boxes I see at Best Buy...help me out.. The Dragon Box sets are basically remastered versions of how they were when I watched it back in the day and the season boxes I see at Best Buy are pretty much what my sister watches, right? She's been talking about buying the seasons and I'm curious which we should get. If it's even worth it getting the Dragon Boxes instead, ya know? Any help?[/QUOTE]

"redos on tv?" Are you alking about Kai? The season sets have a poor remaster/picture quality but it has the bruce falconer soundtrak whcih has all of the cool super saiyan music. The dragon boxes are a much much better remaster but lact the english soundtrack music. Dragon boxes are also full screen. So if you are going to watch on a widescreen go ahead and get the season sets. although they sort of ruined the color it is still watchable and they do get better as the season sets go on. Go with dragon boxes if you want a much better remaster and are willing to watch full screen or streatching the pic a little bit.

BTW The seasonn sets also have copped picture.

[quote name='darrenf619']I really am tempted by these sets..

..but I've already ordered all of the DBZ Kai Blu-rays that have been released.

Any idea if these will ever get a Blu release? Or should I seriously consider buying these sets? I wouldn't mind having all the Kai Blu-rays AND these if it is indeed worth it..[/QUOTE]

Its highly unlikely these will ever be released on blu ray

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']"redos on tv?" Are you alking about Kai? The season sets have a poor remaster/picture quality but it has the bruce falconer soundtrak whcih has all of the cool super saiyan music. The dragon boxes are a much much better remaster but lact the english soundtrack music. Dragon boxes are also full screen. So if you are going to watch on a widescreen go ahead and get the season sets. although they sort of ruined the color it is still watchable and they do get better as the season sets go on. Go with dragon boxes if you want a much better remaster and are willing to watch full screen or streatching the pic a little bit.

BTW The seasonn sets also have copped picture.[/QUOTE]

Yea, she watches Kai. I've only seen a few minutes of Kai, so I wouldn't really recognize music changes, but I do remember how after hearing the dubbed voices I really missed reading the subtitles and hearing the Japanese dialogue. Do both the season sets and Dragon Box sets include this? I really don't care if it's full screen or widescreen as long as I get the best picture possible. This is moreso for her than for me, but It would be really neat to re-watch a lot of this stuff with the actual Japanese voices and English subtitles. Which of these sets would you all recommend?

I just went through the list again and it seems they've added even more titles. Definitely picking up Dragon Ball seasons 1 and 2 for around $15 each! Gonna have to keep an eye on this one!!

The fact that Dragon Box Two is OOS is really putting me off, but I still want to order the rest..

How I enjoy agonizing myself over purchases I don't necessarily need.

[quote name='gldoorii']Yea, she watches Kai. I've only seen a few minutes of Kai, so I wouldn't really recognize music changes, but I do remember how after hearing the dubbed voices I really missed reading the subtitles and hearing the Japanese dialogue. Do both the season sets and Dragon Box sets include this? I really don't care if it's full screen or widescreen as long as I get the best picture possible. This is moreso for her than for me, but It would be really neat to re-watch a lot of this stuff with the actual Japanese voices and English subtitles. Which of these sets would you all recommend?[/QUOTE]

Yes both sets include the japanese track with english subtitles. The only difference your sister may notice between kai and the dragon box sets is that the voice acting is much worse but this is also the case for the season sets. I would definately recommend the dragon boxes over the season sets at this price. You are getitng much better picture quality and much better packaging in general. The fact that these are called "Dragon Boxes" rather than "orange bricks" also shows how much better these are.

[quote name='gldoorii']Yea, she watches Kai. I've only seen a few minutes of Kai, so I wouldn't really recognize music changes, but I do remember how after hearing the dubbed voices I really missed reading the subtitles and hearing the Japanese dialogue. Do both the season sets and Dragon Box sets include this? I really don't care if it's full screen or widescreen as long as I get the best picture possible. This is moreso for her than for me, but It would be really neat to re-watch a lot of this stuff with the actual Japanese voices and English subtitles. Which of these sets would you all recommend?[/QUOTE]

Go for the Dragon Boxes. Those are actually the true remastered versions of the classic episodes.

Crap this is gonna hurt the wallet. Just bought all of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Dragon boxes available. I hate this place sometimes. :cry::cry:

[quote name='shadow17x']Crap this is gonna hurt the wallet. Just bought all of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Dragon boxes available. I hate this place sometimes. :cry::cry:[/QUOTE]

You and me both man. Bought Dragon Boxes 1,3-6 and DBZ Kai BDs Parts 1-5 along with Trigun and Samurai Champloo on DVD.

Bought all the Dragon Ball boxes, Dragon Ball GT: The Complete Series, and Dragon Boxes 1 & 3-6.

Also bought Dragon Box 2 from Walmart.com for $34 shipped. Didn't feel right NOT getting it at the same time as the other boxes.

EDIT:
And to add to this, I've got DBZ Kai Parts 1-5 on Blu-ray on their way.

This started as mainly Bleach/Naruto/DBZ, but It just had an increase of Funimation titles and random anime Blus. All of them can still be found in the OP's link.

These are my favorites/recommendations from the sale:

:dvd: Darker Than Black: Complete Season One (Classic) - $22.99
:dvd: Baccano: The Complete Series (Viridian Collection) - $17.99
:dvd: Evangelion: 1.11 You Are Not Alone $9.99 :br: $11.99
:dvd: Trigun: The Complete Series Box Set $21.99
:dvd: Samurai Champloo: The Complete Series - $22.49 :br: $22.99
:dvd: Soul Eater: The Meister Collection (Season 1) - $30.99 :br: $29.99
:dvd: Eden of the East: The Complete Series $23.49 :br: $25.49
:dvd: & :br: Eden of the East: The King of Eden (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) - $13.99
:dvd: Fullmetal Alchemist: The Complete First Season (Viridian Collection) - $16.99
:dvd: Fullmetal Alchemist: The Complete Second Season (Viridian Collection) - $17.99
:dvd: Summer Wars - $11.49 :br: $15.49
:dvd: FLCL: The Complete Series (Classic) - $15.99 :br: 19.49

Even though I don't consider it anime, I figure this is also worth a mention.
:br: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete - $13.99

Gldoorii sort of asked this, but I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, so maybe someone can help me out.

So when I was in middle school, DBZ showed up. I'd wake up at 6 AM to watch an episode on Saturday morning. This went on for months, which was really fun but agonizingly slow. These episodes were highly edited for content (blood was removed, Hell was renamed "Home for Infinite Losers," a lot of the extraneous crap was removed because it was boring or confusing, etc) and spanned until about halfway through the Namek Saga. The final dubbed episode in this series had Goku appearing to take on the Ginyu force (the purple guy and the Australian one...uh, Jace and someone else, it was after the little time stopped frog dood got defeated). Now, I loved those episodes, because the music and voices were perfect. The dialogue was cheesy but amusing. I want to say this was the Saban (I'm probably misspelling that) releases. I have a few of these on DVD.

Ultimately they stopped dubbing episodes, which was heartbreaking. A few years later, it began to air on Cartoon Network. It became popular so CN dubbed additional episodes, using - from what I can tell - their janitors, because everyone sounded the same and had no enthusiasm. While these were ok and I still watched them, it was somewhat disappointing to not have Brian Drummond as Vegeta. The music had changed as well, and these was less editing in terms of blood and so forth.

At some point, the original episodes I'd watched back in the day got re-dubbed, and I have to assume it was CN behind it.

These days, I see DBZ Kai, and I'm not exactly sure what it is, so I watched a few episodes. It seems like this was a *third* group dubbing into English, because Freiza's voice was MUCH better. It was not as awesome as the original I remember, but it was LEAGUES ahead of the poor SOB CN had put in charge for him.

Now I see these Dragon Box sets, and I have no clue what is on them.

So can someone please - if possible - explain to me if A) that original series that I liked is available as a collection, and B) what's the difference between these Dragon sets and the Kai releases? I remember hearing about "The Ocean Group" at some point maybe? A lot of the original voice crew that I'm thinking of went onto things like Inu Yasha.

Your responses are appreciated. I imagine I could look all this up through wikis and Amazon reviews and so forth, but if someone could concisely tell me, that'd be great. Thank you.

I'm not entirely sure myself but I'm pretty the couple arcs, vegeta, namek and ginyu, were dubbed as what people refer to as the ocean dub. Funimation took over the dub around the frieza saga I believe Some people like these better I beleive but as time went on I found funimation's dub to be much improved and pretty good. Although, you are right in saying they sound similar, as they a lot of the characters are voiced by the same VAs.

Kai, just removes the filler parts of the series, no garlic junior, no waiting around, and no bullshit goku goes for a license. They also rewrote the script in kai and redubbed.

Someone correct me if I gave any wrong information.

[quote name='Rumors']I'm not entirely sure myself but I'm pretty the couple arcs, vegeta, namek and ginyu, were dubbed as what people refer to as the ocean dub. Funimation took over the dub around the frieza saga I believe Some people like these better I beleive but as time went on I found funimation's dub to be much improved and pretty good. Although, you are right in saying they sound similar, as they a lot of the characters are voiced by the same VAs.

Kai, just removes the filler parts of the series, no garlic junior, no waiting around, and no bullshit goku goes for a license. They also rewrote the script in kai and redubbed.

Someone correct me if I gave any wrong information.[/QUOTE]

Dude, Goku/Piccolo learning to drive was probably the only good thing Toei did to the series.

Let put all of this to rest about the crazy style of DBZ releases we've had ever since it hit the states many years ago.

The Saiyan & Namek arcs that originally aired in the US were dubbed by Ocean, and was owned by Saban. This is where a lot of people first got into DBZ, and probably anime itself in the US. These episodes were heavily edited, had redone (and corny) scripts, scenes cut, music redone, etc. Overall, it was a mess, and it's really hard to watch.

After the Namek arc, Ocean continued dubbing DBZ elsewhere (you can find clips of it on YT), but in the US, Funimation grabbed the rights. Funimation retailed all of the name changes, some of the edits, and more or less got new actors to try and match the voices of the previous ones. From what I know, I don't think any VA from the original DBZ dub is in the more recent Funimation dub. Anyway, Funimation finished the series and then they finally got the rights for what they didn't do a few years ago.

Enter Dragonball Z Uncut. This originally aired on CN a few years ago completely unedited, and it was pretty damn awesome. Funimation redubbed and completely redid all of what Ocean previously did. I myself enjoyed it, but it still followed the style that Funimation picked up on before. Oddly enough, all they did at the time was just the Saiyan arc, so when the series hit the Namek arc on TV, it switched back to the old Ocean dub, which totally sucked.

Dragonball Z Uncut was released on individual DVDS for the first couple of volumes until Funimation screwed over their fans yet again, and finally decided to re-release them again in Season box sets. The orange box sets that are everywhere now for dirt cheap are digitally remasted by Funimation, claim to be in "HD", were cropped in wide screen, and Funimation swore that it was the shit.

Enter the Dragon boxes. This was Toei's fuck you to Funimation, since Toei properly remastered the series themselves. Funimation figured they would cash in on these sets as well and released these too. Screwing DBZ fans not once, but twice.

Lastly, we got Dragon Ball Z Kai. This is done by Toei, and not Funimation. They upscaled the series to HD, got new music, redid the voice acting, edited down the episodes (rather nicely I heard), and removed all of the filler. These are currently released by Funimation with a new dub that claims to be close to the script, and they also redid their voice acting as well with a few new actors too. This is probably why Gohan and Frieza's voices no longer suck. Or at least this is what I hear (haven't watched it yet).

And that's it! No other explanations are needed, unless someone want's to correct on something, then that's fine.

Pbhhbtbhhbt. The original dialogue was great fun. THIS COWBOY'S GOIN FOR ONE LAST RIDE.

That aside, I appreciate the information greatly. So the Dragon Box is uncut, and the Kai series is a new dub with filler cut out, if I'm reading this all correctly, which is probably about as far as I want to go in terms of collecting these (alongside the totally awesome original dub).

[quote name='Strell']Pbhhbtbhhbt. The original dialogue was great fun. THIS COWBOY'S GOIN FOR ONE LAST RIDE.

That aside, I appreciate the information greatly. So the Dragon Box is uncut, and the Kai series is a new dub with filler cut out, if I'm reading this all correctly, which is probably about as far as I want to go in terms of collecting these (alongside the totally awesome original dub).[/QUOTE]

LOL! Okay, that is pretty funny. It's been so long since I watched the Ocean dub. I don't think you can even buy the original dub now. I know they also dubbed the first three movies uncut with the ocean dub, but I'm sure it's a bitch to find. If you are even considering buying DBZ, the dragon boxes are far by your best bet. I'm stuck with the orange sets, as I know I'll get nothing for reselling them, and I refuse to give Funimation more money for the Dragon Boxes to fund yet another stupid DBZ re-release.

Yeah, Dead Zone/World's Strongest/Tree of Might were with that original group, and were definitely uncut. Gohan gets high or something in one of them and goes on a massive trip, complete with weird music and dancing animals and stuff. Then someone gets pissed on.

I have more of them to collect, but they are generally sitting in used DVD racks at Hastings and so forth pretty cheap. One day I just need to sit down and complete it out, if only for the great nostalgic fun.

Thanks again for the info about the sets. I'll look around a bit and see what I may or may not want to do. The Kais seem more my speed, but some of the filler stuff was pretty hilarious even in the original Saban releases (like watching everyone go crazy at Baba's during the Goku/Vegeta fight).

I always held out on a Dragon Ball Z release (minus the first movie on VHS only because it had a promo card when I was into Ani-Mayhem back in eighth grade), even when FUNi released their "remastered" version. Knowing that the Dragon Boxes existed in Japan, I had always crossed my fingers hoping they would come over stateside. Thankfully they did.

I feel for whoever has bought any of the DBZ DVDs from the time FUNi had the gaul to release them in singles. There's only a handful of series I bought twice due to remastering, but it's insane how many releases of DBZ there are. Dragon Ball Kai was Japan's way of cashing in on DBZ with the current generation, as it has a run on TV over there. I only watched up to the end of the Freeza saga with Kai after feeling that the pacing wasn't as quick as I had expected it to turn out.

While Kai has been remastered by the Japanese, they also cropped the image like what FUNi did with their remastering. Not sure if people out there are like me, but considering that I remember watching Dragon Ball in a 4:3 aspect ration on my huge CRT back in the day, I want to see it in that size and no other.

bread's done
Back