XBOX Redeem Code-General Disscussion

COLDblood

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (100%)
Have a question, answer or statement about Xbox redeem codes? Then this is the thread for you.

This thread was born from the Xbox code drop thread to control the spam and give people a place to ask their Xbox code questions.

Please don't talk about unethical ways to take advantage of websites giving away codes and remember to follow all CAG site rules when posting.

[quote name='Chemosh013']can I have a code for MS Points please?

:p[/QUOTE]

Can I have 19.99 + NJ sales tax? If so you can have MS Points :lol:

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']You not being quick enough is a poor excuse. Everyone will have their moment. Maybe next time you will be first. At least PMing, or puzzles for all to solve, are fair. I hardly ever get anything out of this thread either, but I think that cutting out roughly maybe a third of the users of this site is a bit unfair (FireFox is a very popular browser). PMing is obviously the best method as it guarantees the person who gets the code will acknowledge receiving it, and that they will be a registered CAG.
[/QUOTE]
AGREED!

man, colblood has to try and move it here somehow. he's being nice atm, but if people keep violating the thread rules (myself included), he may start booting people. i think it's more of a suggestion than a commercial, myself.

Just a suggestion... I love spam myself. I have gotten a few pms basically saying the spam is becoming to much, so I thought I would try to bring to someplace more accepting.

Last time I knew it was from Amazon when you could pre-ordered Red Fraction Armageddon and they would email you the code right away.

[quote name='COLDblood']Last time I knew it was from Amazon when you could pre-ordered Red Fraction Armageddon and they would email you the code right away.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

[quote name='Curleh Mustache']Hey. Where was everyone getting those red faction battleground codes?[/QUOTE]

You could have gotten one from the German THQ site by registering your game, but that was gone quickly. The only other way that I knew was if you pre-ordered Armageddon from GameStop you would get a code to DL it.

[quote name='Double O Slevin']You could have gotten one from the German THQ site by registering your game, but that was gone quickly.[/QUOTE]

Bleh...I always miss stuff like that.

[quote name='yahoosale14']redeem points via utalkback,etc do expire, correct?

genpirate...is that pic real?[/QUOTE]

Real pic, not of me.

[quote name='Double O Slevin']You could have gotten one from the German THQ site by registering your game, but that was gone quickly. The only other way that I knew was if you pre-ordered Armageddon from GameStop you would get a code to DL it.[/QUOTE]

I forgot all about the THQ offer, even after I got one from it:dunce:. That offer was for like the first 300 people if I remember right.

Edit:
Just got a Beards and Beaks avatar prop today on twitter (Big thanks to Chemosh013 for showing me the offer), took them less than a minute to send me a code:
https://twitter.com/PlayXBLA

113d8d.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You know...I was thinking while being a complete asshole in the Code Drop thread...what if this becomes the code drop thread, and like...only a handful of people know about it? Think about it.

I kinda like the new method of hiding the code but people are going to complain about when a member snags the code and does not say "Thank You", there is more than one kind of lurker.

[quote name='COLDblood']

Edit:
Just got a Beards and Beaks avatar prop today on twitter (Big thanks to Chemosh013 for showing me the offer), took them less than a minute to send me a code:
https://twitter.com/PlayXBLA

[/QUOTE]

Man, those guys must hate me or something. I messaged them last night and then this morning when they said they had more codes but they didn't even reply. :(

its a good idea only because it makes people sign up to see what CAG can offer.

WHAT I think sucks are the people that don't say "Thank you". I am sure 75% of the codes "lurked" are from members that have been here longer than a year.

Just for reference, in regards to the "invisible" code drops, if the "invisible" method isn't working for someone, they can go into their CAG settings and change "Message Editor Interface" from "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" to "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" and it should work regardless of browser.

• Here's a "List" example. Quote to see.

I agree that there will still be people who create an account just to lurk, snag codes, and not show appreciation for those who gave them the codes. Hopefully, though, having this note about settings will reduce the number of comments in the Code Drop forum of "this doesn't work for IE/FF."

[quote name='fictionality7']Just for reference, in regards to the "invisible" code drops, if the "invisible" method isn't working for someone, they can go into their CAG settings and change "Message Editor Interface" from "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" to "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" and it should work regardless of browser.

• Here's a "List" example. Quote to see.

[/QUOTE]

Works for me, thanks fictionality!

Why is there a "lurkers got it" post immediately after every drop? You don't even give a CAG member time to thank the person. Some people are shy and don't post but have been a member for some time. Just assume if it's been a minute or so that it is gone, no need to post about lurkers constantly. It's getting very old. Many times the member that got it posts a thank you soon after the "lurker got it" post. Honestly if I do get a code and someone posts about a lurker getting it I vow to not thank the person who dropped it publicly so the lurker poster can keep thinking they are right and keep being paranoid. Maybe the mods could start deleting the lurker posts because they are taking up so much useless space. Or maybe the OP could make it a rule of the thread to not post the "lurkers got it" and put it in the first post.

[quote name='COLDblood']WHAT I think sucks are the people that don't say "Thank you". I am sure 75% of the codes "lurked" are from members that have been here longer than a year.[/QUOTE]

This. Why did they delete my post and keep all the unnecessary "lurked" posts?

[quote name='MrPiggles']I think we should make the entire contests and free stuff area visible only to resigtered CAG members.[/QUOTE]

More then that I say. At least be an established member for a while before being able to get a hold of free codes that people have. When I say established I mean a certain amount of posts and ranking. I see people still on here who joined 3 years ago but only have 6 posts the entire time. They just check back and see if there is any free stuff worthwhile to grab.

[quote name='Spanky']I see people still on here who joined 3 years ago but only have 6 posts the entire time.[/QUOTE]

I feel like I'm one of those people, mostly because I hate stating an opinion in any online forum. And while half of my posts are "sure, I'll enter your contest by posting here, thanks!" I also set up a "contest" (first 5 or 6 to reply, not much of a contest) when I had something to give away, and I went out of my way to help figure out why IE and FF were having trouble with a proposed new method of code drops, even though I use Chrome and had no problem at all, because I felt I could at least try to help the community a bit.

I don't really know that I have a point other than the cliché "don't judge a book by it's cover," but I guess I just think however people try to thin the herd with restrictions and requirements (make the codes invisible so you have to be a member, or make a minimum post/year requirement), it just sort of feels like it does more harm than good. I've won one contest (designed someone's avatar) and picked up one code drop (I said thanks, mind you), while having given away half a dozen codes (those Halo 7-11 dashboard theme codes last summer) in my 30 posts in a year and a half (this is number 30).

All that being said, I won't complain if someone makes a contest that rules me out because of post count or join date or something else, because they're the one giving something away. I just hope that even those "lurkers" who aren't members but hang out in the forums anyways would take a minute to sign up and show appreciation for someone else giving them something for nothing by just saying thanks. It doesn't take much to say thanks, but it feels pretty good when someone takes that minute to let you know they appreciate what you did - reading dotCody's thanks a few posts up made me feel like I actually helped someone, and it felt good.

I do agree that people should not post "lurked" right away... maybe "used" would work better and then if no one says "Thank You" after 5 minutes someone can cry wolf.

We do have to deal with a lot of competition for codes. Not just from script bots and actual lurkers but I know for a fact that the drop thread has been copied on a different forum and "Mr. Exclusive" re-posts codes people drop here. I think the site needs to make CAG have member required forums and maybe something like a ViP section. We have a lot more to offer than codes and people should have to belong to the community if they want to share in all we have to offer them (but TBH making them members would not slow anything down for us code hounds :lol:).

Found this while on google
http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=998466/xbox-redeem-codes-drop-here/start=260.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for the group. I'm a PS3 guy so I don't have a LIVE account. I have a code I'm interested in dropping in the free drop thread but I want to test it first (without redeeming) to make sure it is working. Is there any way for me to do this? I'd be willing to create a microsoft account of some kind if required but obviously would not pay for the LIVE service. Thanks.

[quote name='hellmutt']Question for the group. I'm a PS3 guy so I don't have a LIVE account. I have a code I'm interested in dropping in the free drop thread but I want to test it first (without redeeming) to make sure it is working. Is there any way for me to do this? I'd be willing to create a microsoft account of some kind if required but obviously would not pay for the LIVE service. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The only way to test a code without actually using it is on the 360 when signed into Xbox Live. Hopefully you have someone you can trust to do that.

Just drop the code and have at it. I just do little contests/giveaways on here randomly because at least I require them to PM me so I know who is getting it. Just get a mod for the section to clean up the complaints & all. But the 360 code drop thread is working fine coldblood and if you ever wanna get rid of some of the codes on your list I'll take them ;)

[quote name='COLDblood']its a good idea only because it makes people sign up to see what CAG can offer.

WHAT I think sucks are the people that don't say "Thank you". I am sure 75% of the codes "lurked" are from members that have been here longer than a year.[/QUOTE]

This is sadly happening even in the members only Xbox Code Drop Club it appears, which lends credence to your theory.

Why can't the "giver" post that they want PMs for code giveaways, then edit the post once they give the code away and get a PM? That way they don't keep getting PMs? I feel like expecting "thank you" posts is expecting too much, even though it's nice getting them.

I love how the 48 hr. trial is GOLD yet... you still can't have all the access of a Gold account like getting the Demos. Thanks Micro$hit.

It's not gold, it gives you gold access. Hence the "trial" in it is the keyword. It's not made to give you full access to what all gold members get, it wouldn't be fair.

As for the codes, I usually put some restrictions like First 10 people who PM me get a code. Or do what you'd like, better than having a lurker gettingit and/or seeing negative comments.

Code drops should only be available to established members who are adult white between 25-35 years (born in the U.S.) with all three current consoles and at least one child. What other restrictions should we place?

Or...oh, I know! Just let people drop codes the way they want to!

If you redeem a code on the PC does the time start from that moment or from when you first connect the xbox? I borrowed an xbox game from a library and it had the trial stapled in, game seemed to have maybe been used once or twice only so I figured may as well try the code as if I don't the next person will and to my surprise it was valid.

(would be cool if MS had repeatable codes with 1 use per machine for lending services but that is another issue)

So as I have only ever used 1 before I was unsure if it started the minute I put it in or once the xbox goes on and connects?

p.s. I hope this is the right place, I tried to see if it was asked before but if it has I did not find it.

[quote name='creeduk']If you redeem a code on the PC does the time start from that moment or from when you first connect the xbox? I borrowed an xbox game from a library and it had the trial stapled in, game seemed to have maybe been used once or twice only so I figured may as well try the code as if I don't the next person will and to my surprise it was valid.[/quote]
The download starts the next time you turn your Xbox on and connect to Xbox Live. Like most electronics and appliances, it can't actually function if it is turned off, nor can it download anything while disconnected from the internet.

[quote name='creeduk'](would be cool if MS had repeatable codes with 1 use per machine for lending services but that is another issue)[/quote]
That would be an excellent way to lose a ton of money (or at least miss out on it).

bread's done
Back