NES64 Resetting Problem

200STM

CAGiversary!
Hey there CAGs my smoke grey NES64 keeps resetting on me when I play games on it, I have done research and it seems it can be an overheating problem. I am just asking here if any of you old school CAGs have any suggestions I could try thanks for reading and the help.

You mean N64 right? NES64 sounds like hybrid NES and N64. Anyways does the system feel hotter than usual?

Try cleaning all your carts and the N64's contact points. If you have compressed air cleaner try spraying a little in the vents. If it's been in storage or sitting for a while there could be dust-mites in the system. Do you have a friend who has a N64? If so try borrowing their power cord and seeing if the problem persists. Hope some of this helps.

I have had a bad habbit of calling the N64 a NES64 haha. Thanks I'll clean up my carts (does the old que tips and alcohol a good idea?) and clean up my console. I'll report back what happens.

[quote name='200STM']I have had a bad habbit of calling the N64 a NES64 haha. Thanks I'll clean up my carts (does the old que tips and alcohol a good idea?) and clean up my console. I'll report back what happens.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, q-tip with alcohol is fine. Just make sure everything is dried before powering up. I personally use my wife's nail polish remover, that stuff does wonders.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah, q-tip with alcohol is fine. Just make sure everything is dried before powering up. I personally use my wife's nail polish remover, that stuff does wonders.[/QUOTE]

Be VERY CAREFUL with that. Nail polish removers are not created equal- I have a bottle of 100% acetone remover that I use to strip paint... and I have to use it lightly becuase it'll start to dissolve a lot of plastics. I'd never put it on or in a console.

Rodimus, maybe you could post your wife's brand? That way there's a reference for a 'safe' polish remover.

The best way to really clean the contacts from years of corrosion and dirt is by opening the cart and cleaning the contacts with a pink pencil eraser. Then you can go back and touch them up with alcohol and a q-tip.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Be VERY CAREFUL with that. Nail polish removers are not created equal- I have a bottle of 100% acetone remover that I use to strip paint... and I have to use it lightly becuase it'll start to dissolve a lot of plastics. I'd never put it on or in a console.

Rodimus, maybe you could post your wife's brand? That way there's a reference for a 'safe' polish remover.[/QUOTE]

It's just normal ol' Publix generic brand. I've been using it for more than 10 years and never had a problem. In fact I probably use it more for my games since she rarely wears nail polish anymore. I've noticed it does a better job getting deep dirt out than alcohol.

But Banky is right, the best way is pencil eraser, you can save just about any game with that method. But you need the special screwdriver bit for that.

I tried it today and its been running fine, I just used alcohol and qtips on my games. I used my vaccum to suck up the vents and slot on my N64 (I don't have the nintendo tool to remove the screws), should I be safe and q-tip the slot on the n64 with light alcohol? thanks cags for the input. I'll be doing a blog that talks about my N64 colllection since I hit big in 2 days I got the gold carts of Zelda1,2 and ocarina of time and majoras mask carts.

bread's done
Back