GameStop PowerUp Rewards Frustration

Smart Aleck

CAGiversary!
I wasn't exactly sure if this was in the right forum topic, but i figured this could qualify as "Shopping Discussions" so....w/e

Just a quick note, this isn't a "OMG GAEMSTAWP R TEH SUX0000RRZZ!!!" thread. Just getting that out of the way. Now I'll begin.

On 6/20/11, i decided to take advantage of the "extra 40% trade-in credit towards E3 titles" promo going on at GameStop. I traded in a few games, and the total value was about $81.20, which i put towards Mass Effect 3. The guy behind the counter naturally asked me if i wanted to sign up for the PowerUp Rewards Pro program, and i said "what the hell, why not."

He asked me if i already had a free account with PowerUp Rewards, and I answered yes. He asked me all my info, email, address, etc, etc, and after everything rang up i had a total of $12.02 left in credit, a Mass Effect 3 preorder, 2 issues of GameInformer, and a little silver card. I figured it wasn't such a bad deal. Little did i know that the $15 bucks i spent on that little silver card would give me more than i bargained for.

The next week i took a trip to Vegas, so i didn't really have time to register/activate my Pro account, what with all the preparations and things. When i got back the next week, i checked my PowerUp Rewards account on their website.

What I was SUPPOSED to see under my account info was "Pro." What I saw was "Basic."
What i was SUPPOSED to get in my active offers was a B2G1 Free coupon. I saw no such offer. So i was stuck with a receipt saying i had paid for a Pro account, still had a basic account, and no coupon. It wasn't really a big deal to me, I'd just stop by Gamestop in the next couple days and get it straightened out.

So i went to Gamestop, talked to the guy at the desk. He said he had never encountered a problem like mine before, and said his manager would be right out. 5 minutes later, I'm talking to the manager. I'd just like to say right now that I've done business with that particular manager, and he is extremely helpful. He understood the problem, but couldn't really do anything about it. He called up the district manager(or at least i assumed that's who he was talking to). After he was finished talking, he told me that maybe my card was defective, and it didnt ring up the day i bought it. He trashed it and gave me a new one free of charge, and even made a new account for me with a seperate email address in case that was the problem. I wasn't really sure that's what i wanted seeing as how i still had about 2,000 points on my other account, but he said i needed to call Customer Service so i could explain the situation and have my points transacted to my new account.

The next day, i called the number. The first time i spoke with an associate that seemed to just be blowing me off (interrupting me, saying the same thing over and over). He did implore me to go to the store, saying they could not transfer points from one account to another, which was reasonable. I hung up, kind of taken aback, but didn't really mind. I called again, and that time i spoke with a calm gentleman, who listened to my problem and advised me to go to the store once again.

Since i had gotten a second opinion, i went back to the store. I explained my situation again to the employee. he asked the one next to him, also behind the counter, and HE walked over to see if he could help. (The other one walked away to talk to a girl abut the 5th Anniversary Edition of Oblivion...) Anyway, the employee i was talking to seemed to not understand that my first Pro Card was trashed and that i got a second one. He called up Customer Service and explained that i had a basic account and upgraded, and wanted my points moved. While he was explaining this, I mentally facepalmed myself. After he got off the phone, i had to explain to him once again that i have 2 accounts; one that is messed up that still says basic, and one that i got for free that was Pro Card that had a different email address. He said he understood, and came up with an idea.

He would ring up my traded-in games for the points AGAIN, but then sell them back to me for the same price. No net gain for GameStop, no net gain for me, besides the points. He swiped my card, and that worked out alright, so i figured this was settled.

When i got home that evening, i checked online and saw that
I only had 500 points (which were for signing up the account before). The 2,000 from my old account were not transferred, and neither were the points from the trade-in and the Mass Effect 3 preorder.

so...watido???

TL;DR

bought a PUR pro card; checked online, not pro status and no points
go to gamestop, ask WTF
they tell me call customer service, i go ok
i call customer service, they tell me go to store b/c they can't do anything
i go to store, they make transaction again
i go home, check online, points not there, must go to gamestop store for the 4th time

WAT

Overly Lengthy thread and bad grammar aside, what are you guys' opinions on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's no consolation to you right now, but at least they're trying to do the right thing for you in the store. But really, the CS reps on the phone could have and should have handled this for you. They can do points adjustments because I've had it done for me before.

Keep trying and good luck.

Did you activate your card and create your account before you made your purchases? Maybe they initiated a new card with your Pro membership is what I'm thinking...

[quote name='Survivalism']They don't e-mail you the B2G1, it's under Active Offers. I'd try here: http://as00.estara.com/OneCC/200106299243/mailform.html

Give them the store number and your phone number when you tell them what's going on. Last time I did this, the store manager called me in the next day.[/QUOTE]

thanks. I'll be sure to give it a try. Also, I was mistaken about the B2G1, thanks for correcting me on that, too.

[quote name='Vinny']Did you activate your card and create your account before you made your purchases? Maybe they initiated a new card with your Pro membership is what I'm thinking...[/QUOTE]

Actually, the only purchase i made was the card and the preorder. I see what you're saying about the initiation of a new card, but if my memory serves me correctly, he asked if i already had an account...

Thanks for all the suggestions

The points take at least overnight, if not two nights to show up on your account after doing the trade ins/purchases.

Turn into Gambit and charge your PowerUp Card with kinetic energy. Use it to destroy your local GameStop.

Or wait a few days and see if your points show up.

Well, the points for my 2nd account are up; thanks for the info guys...guess i need to be more patient :whistle2:#
The only remaining problem is that my points from my old account are not transferred, should be easy to fix.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Turn into Gambit and charge your PowerUp Card with kinetic energy. Use it to destroy your local GameStop.[/QUOTE]

That made me laugh.

Quick comments after starting to read then skimming the OP:

Points take a couple of days. So I think you're fine. And I think you're getting double the points by doing a trade then purchase which nets you points. Great deal!

I thought it was in the rules that points don't transfer but some of the replies seem to contradict that. Doesn't make sense why they didn't just try to upgrade your original botched account. Oh well.

B2G1 coupon takes a week-ish to show up, I think. It's definitely not there instantly.

[quote name='imacgod']
Doesn't make sense why they didn't just try to upgrade your original botched account.
[/QUOTE]

inorite. it would have avoided this whole process. but, i guess things happen, and these CAGs have been very helpful to a CAG n00b like me;)

bread's done
Back