Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 25% Off Hitman

Answers below are either my experience or paraphrased answers from GMG.

FAQs
I want to help update the OP, what are the content and formatting guidelines?

I have made many changes to the OP in order to streamline the information and enable people to better find the pertinent information they are looking for. The OP is now divided into four distinct sections which will be explained below. If you want to help with updating the OP (greatly appreciated) please follow the below guidelines to keep things consistent.

Highlights
Highlights is where all time-limited or extraordinary deals go. These are at the top since they are the deals most people are interested in. The format should be Linked Game Name - discounted price (Notes such as Steamworks) vouchercode for discount%/$. List order should be alphabetical with DLC following base game.

Example: South Park: The Game $99.99 (Steamworks) with voucher code SOUTH-PARK-GAME for 10% discount

Steamworks Pre-order Games

This section is simply a list of all Steamworks pre-orders available on GMG. A price will NOT be listed next to a title unless it is a current deal. Having MSRP (or near) listed next to all titles adds unnecessary clutter. If a pre-order game is a highlight deal it will be in the Highlights section and also have it's price listed next to the title in the pre-order section as well as any necessary voucher code. List order should be alphabetical with DLC following base game.

Example: Darksiders 2 $99.99 with voucher code DARK-SIDE-GAME for 15% off

Non-Steam Pre-order Games
This section will work the same as the Steamworks Pre-order section. One notable exception is adding a note after the price for important information such as "requires Origin". List order should be alphabetical with DLC following base game.

Example: SimCity $99.99 (requires Origin) with voucher code SIM-CITY-GAMES for 15% off

Notable Steamworks Games
This section is a list of notable Steamworks games and will be handled the same as the pre-order sections. List order should be alphabetical with DLC following base game.

What is Green Man Gaming?

Green Man Gaming (GMG henceforth) is a digital distributor of PC games similar to Steam or Origin. They are located in the UK.

When is GMG getting X game?
No one knows, when information is available it will be added to the OP if relevant.

I only buy my games on Steam, why should I care about these guys?
Good question, my fellow Steam luddite! The reason to care about them is because of Steamworks games. Steamworks games have the ability to be purchased anywhere but still be registered on Steam just like you bought it on Steam. This includes games such as the recently released like Duke Nukem Forever and the upcoming Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I don’t live in the UK, will these keys still work on my Steam account?
Yes! The keys from GMG are region free.

Does GMG charge for pre-orders right away or when the game releases?
Pre-orders are charged as soon as the order is placed.

When will I receive my key for a pre-order?
The official policy is morning of release date. However, the 3 keys I have received have been a couple days before release allowing me time to preload. In reality when you receive your key will probably fall somewhere between the two.

What if I buy a non-Steamworks game? Do I have to use a 3rd-party program to launch and manage my games?
GMG uses their proprietary software Capsule, to download, install and play other games.

What is this trade-in thing I see mentioned on the site?
GMG offers the unique option of trading in games you no longer wish to play. You can see the trade-in value of a game by going to the store page of that game OR logging in and clicking the link at the top that says “Your Games”, the number next to it is the total trade-in value of all of your games.

PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR STEAMWORKS GAMES AND IT WILL SAY SO ON THE PAGE WHEN YOU PURCHASE.

Can I get a refund for a preorder if I have not received a key yet?
Refunds are handled on a case by case basis. Generally they don't offer refunds on Steam titles just like most other major sites, but users are free to ask. The best way to get a refund process is to give your reason when you make a ticket.

What does the price-match guarantee mean? The wording is vague..
I spoke with GMG about this and they will be updating the verbiage soon, I will update this when I have a new statement. Right now the gist is that the only match permanent price drops, not promos.

Are GMG keys region locked?
[quote name='Green Man Gaming']
"It's very, very rare for a publisher to region lock digital keys. In fact, I can only think of one or two occasions ever where this has happened in years of buying games online. When there is a threat of region locking, our product pages, social media and the forums make it clear of any potential problems.[/quote]

What happens if I preorder a game and you lower the price/add a voucher code?

[quote name='Green Man Gaming']
As our offers are usually VERY competitive, we don't price match our own offers and vouchers. However, if a title is reduced in terms of RRP, we'll refund the difference.[/quote]

What the fuck is wrong with this fucking site it won’t work with my fucking PayPal?!
First of all, take a deep breath and relax. GMG recommends that your email account on GMG match your PayPal email address. This is mainly an issue with international orders and overzealous anti-fraud measures.

Ok forget PayPal, I am trying to use my Credit Card and it is asking for my social security number, wtf?!?
In some instances your bank or credit card will ask for further verification that you are really you. Again, this is mainly due to international transactions and fraud prevention. If you are required to enter further information the verification page will be framed into your purchasing window. Fill it out and proceed with your order.

NOTE: Sometimes this may say your transaction failed but it actually didn’t. Before trying to purchase again, go to “Your Games” and see if the game shows up in your list.

I just looked at my bank statement and I have an international transaction fee with my GMG order!
If you are purchasing from outside of the UK, your bank, credit card company or PayPal may charge you a currency conversion fee. These fees usually range from $0.20 to $1.50 depending on the price of the game.

I am still having issues, what should I do?
The first thing you should do is fill out a support ticket.

If you do not hear back from them in a reasonable amount of time you can bother them on Twitter or Facebook.

You can also call them at +44 (0)330 500 1515 Monday - Friday, 9-5 (BST). Their support is not outsourced so if you call you will talk to one of thweir employees directly. Being an international call you will probably want to use Skype or something similar to keep costs down.

My experience with their support is that they have been really helpful and responsive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for bumping this up, even though I'm spending a ridiculous amount on the Steam summer sale I might jump on this for Deus Ex.

Thanks for the heads up. In for Deus Ex for sure.

Now if only their site would load.

EDIT: got it. Does anyone know if a CD key is supposed to show up yet for it? Or do we have to wait until release?

Probably have to wait until release. GMG lists CD keys if they're available.

[quote name='bluedeviltron']Thanks for the heads up. In for Deus Ex for sure.

Now if only their site would load.

EDIT: got it. Does anyone know if a CD key is supposed to show up yet for it? Or do we have to wait until release?[/QUOTE]
Should be getting a key from them when the preload is available. If no preload for this game (low chance that they don't preload), then closer to release day. That is how the other two Steamworks games I got from them were, at least.

[quote name='Killbomb']Nice deal. Do you know if they charge you right away for a pre-order?[/QUOTE]
Yea, they do. You will receive the key when Steam allows preloading from my experience on previous Steamworks games through them.

[quote name='rybrad']Yea, they do. You will receive the key when Steam allows preloading from my experience on previous Steamworks games through them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I purchased Duke Nukem Forever from them but after release so I wasn't sure how they did pre-orders. I'm fairly certain I will get Deus Ex unless it gets awful reviews but I don't know if I want to have the money taken out now. Have to think a bit on it.

[quote name='Scorch']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298873[/QUOTE]
I made that previous post so I am aware of it! :D I made a new post because this is a reduced price on the game without a time-limited promo code. Additionally, that promotion (through Facebook now) no longer applies to Deus Ex as promotions don't stack.

I apologize if this seems like clutter but with the game coming out next month I figured people would want to know.

You can also plug in FACEB-JULY2-20PEC and get an additional 20% off.

This makes the game $29.90

CODE: FACEB-JULY2-20PEC

The code should work till the 18th so you'll have some time to decide.

I was originally going to get the augmented edition but for $29.90 I could careless about that now. :)

[quote name='Pajama_Man']You can also plug in FACEB-JULY2-20PEC and get an additional 20% off.

I was originally going to get the augmented edition but for $29.90 I could careless about that now. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the code. This is too good to pass up now. Don't think anybody else will come close to this price during release week. Might as well lock it in now before I'm kicking myself later.

Also, if you order with paypal no international fee! Although, $1 isn't bad at all.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']You can also plug in FACEB-JULY2-20PEC and get an additional 20% off.

I was originally going to get the augmented edition but for $29.90 I could careless about that now. :)[/QUOTE]
Wow awesome deal, it wouldn't let me stack the promos earlier but that is sweet. will update the OP with your info.

This site is legit? I've seen it before on here but just making sure from folks that have used it previously. Steam won't have problems with a UK key right? (Pretty sure I know this is true bc I bought Empire Total War from a UK site and registered on steam in the past)

Hmmm ... went ahead, ordered with Paypal, got an error when it went back to GreenMan Gaming but it looks like it went through ... hmm, hopefully they deliver a key and I don't lose $30 for nothing.

[quote name='etcrane']Hmmm ... went ahead, ordered with Paypal, got an error when it went back to GreenMan Gaming but it looks like it went through ... hmm, hopefully they deliver a key and I don't lose $30 for nothing.[/QUOTE]
They are legit, I live in the US and have ordered 3 Steamwork games from them (Duke Nukem the latest, ugh) and the keys work fine. When I buy something I get a verified by Visa thing that errors out but the transaction still goes through which sounds similar to your Paypal issue.

To verify that you received the game, login to your account, hover over your name at the top, select "Your Games" and Deus Ex: HR should appear in the list. If it does not appear in the list I would contact their support as they are very helpful.

What a ridiculous website. Won't take unverified paypal accounts and declines all my credit cards. Guess they aren't big on taking my money.

EDIT: And somehow I have gotten a receipt for a purchase from them using "SagePay." And it's showing up in my account as owned. Doubt it will stay for long, but now I have two credit cards to check for these payments. What a bother.

It's great having a giant backlog of games so that even when nice deals like this come along for a game at launch, by the time I have time to play it, it'll be super-discounted!

Instant impulse buy for me. Though it seems we'll have to wait for the UK release date before getting the key? Guess I can't complain too much, $30 is a deal for a brand new release, and I'm a sucker for anything with "Deus Ex" in the title.

Very tempting, but I think I'd rather play this (if at all) on my PS3

Deus Ex was a godly game (pun intended)

Invisible War was garbage, and considering the quality of SquareEnix these days, and considering how ugly this game looks (graphics are meaningless, but this is supposed to be a high production game, it looks like Alpha Protocol instead) I'm tempted to wait for reviews

SquareEnix is just the publisher. The Montreal wing of Eidos, whom SquareEnix acquired a few years ago, is making the game. Other Eidos properties that now have the SE label include: Tomb Raider, Hitman, Just Cause 2, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

[quote name='Wool']SquareEnix is just the publisher. The Montreal wing of Eidos, whom SquareEnix acquired a few years ago, is making the game. Other Eidos properties that now have the SE label include: Tomb Raider, Hitman, Just Cause 2, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.[/QUOTE]

I thought Rocksteady made Batman:AA.

Who is the developer for Deus Ex?

No, you are right, Rocksteady are the developers for Batman. Eidos used to have the same relationship SE has now as both a developer and a publisher.

Eidos Montreal is in charge of Human Revolution. I'm not sure which, if any, of Eidos's old games they worked on.

[quote name='scarhawk']Code no longer works :mad:
They said that since it's on Special Offer, code will not work.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info, updated the post and title. Seems like the code might have been stacking for a short window as I could not do it when the deal first went live either.

[quote name='scarhawk']Code no longer works :mad:
They said that since it's on Special Offer, code will not work.[/QUOTE]

Knew I should have got in on the deal last night instead of getting caught up in Fallout 3. Still don't see it getting any cheaper than $37-$38 (including conversion fee) at launch though.

[quote name='rybrad']Thanks for the info, updated the post and title. Seems like the code might have been stacking for a short window as I could not do it when the deal first went live either.[/QUOTE]

No problem. But that was a pretty awesome deal while it lasted. Too bad I didn't get in on it :/

Do you guys think this is still a good deal at $37? Any other places that might be able to beat this price? I was going to jump on it with the $29, but now I have my doubts.

[quote name='alangee']Do you guys think this is still a good deal at $37? Any other places that might be able to beat this price? I was going to jump on it with the $29, but now I have my doubts.[/QUOTE]
Probably not. I would imagine the closest would be if D2D does a 25% off promo code again before release. I was waiting for a D2D promo since they seem to do those a lot but it looks like July is just crappy random sales instead of promo codes.

Edit: My probably not was in regards to your second question. In regards to your first I can't answer what value the game might be worth to you. However, if you do not want to play it right when it is released you could always wait for the Steam winter sale!

i apologize for the dumb question im about to ask. do i need to play the first one to understand this? i never play the first one,but heard so many great things about it

I guarantee this game will not be less than $30 for the Steam Winter sale ... Square Enix doesn't have many other big games coming out by the time that sale hits and I doubt they would drop this down to $20 ... maybe $25 but most likely $30 after discount. I would say, if you want to play it now, then this is the best deal you'll find. I grabbed it last night when it was $30 but $35 isn't bad. The problem I find is that most stores don't discount PC copies of games anymore because their biggest sales are in console games. Granted, if you wait long enough, PC games always go lower than console games in price eventually.

[quote name='alangee']Do you guys think this is still a good deal at $37? Any other places that might be able to beat this price? I was going to jump on it with the $29, but now I have my doubts.[/QUOTE]

I would wager that nobody is going to beat this at launch on any platform. Kmart is the closest right now with a $20 gaming coupon coming with purchase of the game. Still have to pay $60 for the game though unless you have a previous coupon to use and they aren't carrying the PC version. If you wait a month or so, you'll probably be able to catch the console versions on sale at $40 and the PC at $30.

fuck!

So mad. I spent a good 40 minutes trying to get this deal last night. But my account wouldn't authenticate, I couldn't get my CCs to be accepted, and Paypal wouldn't work. Hoped to figure it out today, but of course, the code is no good now.

Meh, I have a feeling I'll be able to snag a copy in the $30 range if I keep an eye out for flips. I'm gonna wait.

Used 3 bucks in trade in credit on some older games that I think I got for free to bring down the cost to 25.80. I think that'll be just about unbeatable and with mods and so on PC is probably the platform to go for this game. Paid via paypal so I shouldn't incur extra fees.

wtf...paypal said "you will confirm payment on the next page" so i clicked to see what it would be iN USD...and it took me back to green man gaming to say I purchased it

grrr...was MORE than 29.60 for me. Cost me 33!

awesome that the 20% code is back, grabbed it and it was 28.80 for me, using paypal no problems it says your paypal email should be the same as GMG email account to go smoothly. Thanks OP.

bread's done
Back