Read 5 chapters e-book contest - currently only 4 entries! Win $60 game/pre-order!

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!
Feedback
114 (100%)
Okay, so 10 years ago this September, I finished writing my first novel. Part fantasy, part horror, part theology. Is it any good? You tell me...no seriously, please tell me!

Here's the contest:

Purchase (for $2.99) my e-book, "Crumb & The Theology of Trees"

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update - I'm going to contact CheapyD and see if he'll post this on the main page, as I'm going to donate ALL the proceeds from the book (that's 70%, Amazon takes 30%) to the annual CAG fundraiser.

Synopsis: The story follows the path of Crumb, a young sapling (tree) who has only known his home forest and nothing beyond. After an 'incident' (don't want to give it away), he swears resolution to a dead human, murdered by an evil monstrosity known only as the Necris. Along that path, he gains the help of several other (non-traditional) characters...a childlike boulder named Crock, a beautiful breeze named Soria, and a water elemental named Brash'wah.

There's a LOT more going on, and I do realize how cheesy the above sounds...but feedback early on was very good. I hope you like it!

[quote name='Lemarfanz']...animorphs?

how long is the novel?[/QUOTE]

Yep, Animorphs, I've digressed back to my childhood for reading, not the most intellectual, but it's actually a pretty cool series, and I never finished it when I was younger.

Novel is a few hundred pages...but I'm wondering that since this is now for charity, should I maybe cut back on the requirements? Any suggestions or thoughts?

I'm definitely interested in this, but I don't have a Kindle. I've never bought an e-book from Amazon. Can I read the book without one?

[quote name='JamesFerguson']I'm definitely interested in this, but I don't have a Kindle. I've never bought an e-book from Amazon. Can I read the book without one?[/QUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure but I think there's something you can install on your PC to read Kindle e-books and I think there's an iOS app too.

[quote name='chrisnsally']Yeah, you can have it delivered to your PC...here's Amazon's link:

Amazon e-book software
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Just picked it up. I'll let you know when I've had a look-see. Regardless of the contest, if it's horror-related I'll put a review up on HorrorTalk.com.

[quote name='JamesFerguson']Thanks. Just picked it up. I'll let you know when I've had a look-see. Regardless of the contest, if it's horror-related I'll put a review up on HorrorTalk.com.[/QUOTE]

I REALLY appreciate that...if you (or anyone) wants to add a review to the Amazon.com page, I'd appreciate that too. Even if it's a bad review, I appreciate the feedback!!!

28 more days to the end of the contest!

: )

Sounds weird yet interesting. Plus it all goes to charity. The only review is pretty funny. I don't read much though. I'll probably buy and post it on my Twitter.

EDIT: Post on my Twitter meaning tell people to buy it, not give them a free copy.

Also, how hard is it to publish a book online? A lot of time and money? Have some stuff I want to publish within the next year, but it's not a novel.

Honestly, with Amazon, it's not hard at all. And if you're okay giving them a 30% cut, it doesn't cost you anything! Thanks for posting to your twitter acct...and help is appreciated! Hopefully we'll be able to raise a fair amount of $!

I'd buy it just to support the creative endeavors of a fellow CAG, but some charity do-gooding and a chance to win a free game? Now I'm in even harder.

That said, I don't know if I will have enough free time to get feedback in before the end of the contest... but I'll definitely give the book a read either way.

[quote name='chrisnsally']I'm thinking maybe a review of the first few chapters? Would folks be more amenable to that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that'd probably be better. There's no way I'm going to read a couple hundred pages in a month. Maybe if there was an audio version so I can listen to it while doing something else, I'd finish it in a week.

Okay....I think the first five chapters is more realistic. Plus, hopefully, that'll be enough to hook readers. If not, I didn't do my job!

Will update now...

chrisnsally, I'm digging the synopsis of your book. The fact that I can add this to my kindle is great, I will be purchasing tonight after work. I've been looking for a new book to read and the fact that I have a slim chance of winning a game is icing on the cake. I will send you my review in a week or so, I'd like to actually read the whole book if I possibly can.

MetallicAttack - I appreciate the interest! I hope you enjoy the book...I spent a year+ writing it, and had another 6+ months of editing. It's as polished as I think I can get it...hopefully you'll feel the same.

Thanks for all the support/feedback thus far. We're at 10+ copies sold, so hopefully we can keep the momentum.

I haven't heard from CheapD (probably busy), but once this is over, I assume I can just PayPal the $ over to him?

Chris

Two in existence. Nothing published beyond an e-book, sorry. Who knows, if it garners enouh attention, I may be able to catch a publisher's eye.....

You say do not share it because you could use the income generated from multiple purchases - but then say all proceeds are going to charity. So then you really don't need the income, do you?

Dude, the charity thing was a decision after the initial posting. After the contest ends, whatever the book's made goes to CheapyD and the CAG charity. You can check with him personally if you like.

Thanks for trying to crap on someone trying to do a good deed. Now troll somewhere else.

I'm not trolling, nor am I question the validity of the charity. I am just questioning whether you meant to type the wrong thing, or it was on accident. You say do not share books because you need the income. From what I have gathered, you should have written to not share books because the charity needs the income. So I was confused because you say it all goes to charity, then say you need the money. It isn't my fault you are unable to write correctly.

Seriously??? Hell, let me check....I frickin' hope not!

EDIT: I read through it and I see what you're talking about. Without giving anything away, the reference could refer to the timeframe the book is set (Medival Age)....

[quote name='chrisnsally']bump 3 - so far, no summaries in at this time...odds of winning the game are still pretty darn good![/QUOTE]

Should we be sending them to you via PM?

[quote name='JamesFerguson']Should we be sending them to you via PM?[/QUOTE]

Yes, please!

(Thanks everybody for getting behind this!)

[quote name='Scorpius']I may pick this up once I finish up with Animorphs, can you give a quick (non-spoiler) synopsis[/QUOTE]

YES! I too started re-reading Animorphs. SOOOOOOOO GOOD. Glad to see I'm not the only person in their 20's still reading those books. It's serious business too.

bread's done
Back