Star Ocean PS1 - Is it Rare?

MadFlava

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hello All,
I just picked up this game for $14.99 preowned. I haven't really seen it available anywhere so I picked it up since I've heard such good things about it. My question is if it's considered a rare game. I've seen them go on Ebay for around $20-$25. But on Amazon some people are selling it for $75 used. I'm thinking that it's not really a rare game and it's readily available for those who really want it.

Nope. Digital Press has it listed at $10 with a rarity rating of 2 out of 10. DP is generally on the low side, so $20 is probably about right.

Rarity aside, you got a great game for $15. Keep it and like it. Once you've played it you'll never think of reselling it.

[quote name='ZForce317']Rarity aside, you got a great game for $15. Keep it and like it. Once you've played it you'll never think of reselling it.[/quote]
Thanks for all the help, I wanted to try out Star Ocean 2 before 3 comes out this year. I've heard such good things about it. Who knows maybe in 10 years it will be rare...

[quote name='gamereviewgod']Nope. Digital Press has it listed at $10 with a rarity rating of 2 out of 10. DP is generally on the low side, so $20 is probably about right.[/quote]

Care to post a link to other similar ratings? Or is that a print-only thing from them?

edit: NM found the online version. Was too disgusted by the $20 price tag on the book they were hawking to look around.

That's by no means a bad price on the book. I couldn't live without my classic guide and have already pre-ordered the new one. It's around 400 pages and there will even be some color pages this time around. $20 is more than reasonable for a book of that size.

[quote name='gamereviewgod']That's by no means a bad price on the book. I couldn't live without my classic guide and have already pre-ordered the new one. It's around 400 pages and there will even be some color pages this time around. $20 is more than reasonable for a book of that size.[/quote]

Uh, what exactly is this book you're talking about?

One problem I have with Digital Press...either their scarcity ratings are almost completely wrong, or there is a VAST VAST (once more) VAST difference in scarcity and value. Some of the games they rank at scarcity 5 or better are crap that would have a hard time selling for $5 (example: Kileak The DNA Imperative, scarcity 5), even if it was a new sealed copy. Yet other games that are definitely worth more rank lower (example again: Suikoden II, scarcity 4).

I guess I could buy the explanation that some of those crappy games are rarer because people who played them got so pissed off after buying them and broke them in a fit of rage.

Star ocean was agreat game! I regreat the day that i tarded it in at eb! I traded this and xenogears in and a week later i wanted them back! they weren't there of course

One problem I have with Digital Press...either their scarcity ratings are almost completely wrong, or there is a VAST VAST (once more) VAST difference in scarcity and value. Some of the games they rank at scarcity 5 or better are crap that would have a hard time selling for $5 (example: Kileak The DNA Imperative, scarcity 5), even if it was a new sealed copy. Yet other games that are definitely worth more rank lower (example again: Suikoden II, scarcity 4).

Kileak does seem a bit off. :D Note that the price reflects that no one wants it. Just because it's hard to find doesn't make it worth alot. However, Suikoden II is NOT that rare. There are always copies available on E-bay. It's simply highly sought after, hence the value of the game is much higher. Also keep in mind some areas will have a harder time finding a different game than others. For instance, I've run into 3 copies of Scooby Doo on the Genesis which is a rarity of 7. I know people who have never even seen a copy. It's impossible to be "perfect" with a guide.

I guess what I'm getting at is if scarcity and value have little if any correlation, what's the point? Other than give eBayers a chance to put "RARE!!!!! L@@K!!!" in their auction titles.

BTW I did in fact look up a lot of these games on eBay and Half.com. I guess I can blame this topic for causing me to break my game buying probation a whole day after it started. Bought Deception and both PSX Wing Commander games while looking through the rarity list.

Knowing the actual rarity of a game will give you a good idea how much you should set your upper boundary in price for, as price radically fluctuates. I'd be willing to bet that as soon as news of Suikoden 4 starts coming out, and the game releases, that you see a 20+ dollar jump in the average auction closing price on Ebay.
If you know the rarity, it can give you an idea of how voiltile the market for that game is. If it's a rarity 7+ and highly demanded, there is a lower chance of radical price fluctuations that there would be if it were a rarity 3-4 and highly demanded.

bread's done
Back