Official Kpop/Jpop/Asian music Thread

Rei no Otaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I had one of these threads before, but I left CAG for an extended period of time a year ago and it disappeared sadly. So I think I'll revive it!

This is a thread to discuss whatever you want in the world of Asian music. I'm an avid listener of Asian pop for quite a long time now. While I currently listen to mostly Kpop I did get my start with Jpop back in the day with Hikki's second album and she's still my favorite artist (the only reason I bought Kingdom Hearts was because she does the theme songs). Current favorite is Girls' Generation, as if you couldn't tell! Really hope they go back and make some more Korean stuff soon.

Start this off with miss A's new single they released two days ago. I really like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKO1za5mX0

I've gotten into Kpop a lot more since the last thread. In fact, it's thanks to that thread that I'm into Kpop at all.

Damn you....

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I've gotten into Kpop a lot more since the last thread. In fact, it's thanks to that thread that I'm into Kpop at all.

Damn you....[/QUOTE]
Awesome! Then my job is done!

I'm not sure I understand why people who do not understand the language the song is in enjoy this stuff so much. I don't mean that in a "you guys are losers" way, I'm actually curious about why. For me, a lot of the song is in the quality of lyrics, not just how they sound.

What is it about this style of music that makes you guys still enjoy it so much? Maybe I'm just weird in the weight I put on lyrics though. Anyhoo, I've always wondered.

Anyone?

[quote name='berzirk']I'm not sure I understand why people who do not understand the language the song is in enjoy this stuff so much. I don't mean that in a "you guys are losers" way, I'm actually curious about why. For me, a lot of the song is in the quality of lyrics, not just how they sound.

What is it about this style of music that makes you guys still enjoy it so much? Maybe I'm just weird in the weight I put on lyrics though. Anyhoo, I've always wondered.

Anyone?[/QUOTE]

music tends to transcend language and cultural barriers if youre open minded enough. you can find alot of similiarities and difference in all music but more than that if you like it and it connects with you you listen to it.

there are many english songs i still don't clearly understand the lyrics for.

personally all this asian stuff brings me back to the 90s, they seem to be going through that phase or something. just a lot of cheesy songs and a focus on choreography. i dont actually put the girly jpop stuff on my mp3 player or anything, i just like the music vids.

K, makes sense. Yah, I'm usually big on the lyrical content because it sort of paints a mental picture for me if it's a storytelling song, or I appreciate the use of words, so I've never really been a fan of non-instrumental music in foreign languages.

Anyone else go to SM Town NY? The concert was amazing. Almost 5 hours of non-stop Kpop. Getting to see SNSD live was great. I also went to the fan meet afterwards and go to see the girls up close!

[quote name='adriley313']So who is importing The Boys

Im waiting for mine from Korea with rolled poster[/QUOTE]
I am! I joined the bulk order at Soshified. I hope I get a HyoYeon poster...
[quote name='berzirk']I'm not sure I understand why people who do not understand the language the song is in enjoy this stuff so much. I don't mean that in a "you guys are losers" way, I'm actually curious about why. For me, a lot of the song is in the quality of lyrics, not just how they sound.

Anyone?[/QUOTE]
I'm the opposite. I just see lyrics as another "instrument" in the song. You don't need to know how a guitar works to enjoy music, same with not knowing the lyrics. Music is the universal language.

Love kpop/jpop, especially while in serious coding groove. Any suggestions for radio stations instead of YouTube?

[quote name='b3b0p']Love kpop/jpop, especially while in serious coding groove. Any suggestions for radio stations instead of YouTube?[/QUOTE]

i have no idea but if you find one post it because id like something like that too. for the most part i find kpop music through dramas and this weekly youtube video post this guy does of the top 20 kpop songs of the week.

Let's see...

Ayumi Hamasaki, Mika Nakashima(the Nana stuff is fucking great!), Kuraki Mai, m-Flo, Yoshika, Melody, Ryohei, Kuwata Keisuke, off the top of my head for J-Pop.
For K-Pop....Lee Hyun Do, Deux, Solid, Kim Gun Mo, BoA, Bada, SES, Shinhwa, H.O.T., Uhm Jung Hwa, Lee Jung Hyun, Drunken Tiger, old Yoon Mirae(don't like her new stuff. Hip-Hop and R&B DON'T mix into Folk well, especially Hip-Hop. Stuff doing Folk with Hip-Hop and R&B mixed in Yoon! X-( ), CB Mass, etc. Seo Taiji, TTma. Oh and PSY of course. :D
C-Pop there's S.H.E. at least with "Ai Qing De Hai Yang"(Sea Of Love as prefer to calling it "Love Ocean"....yeach).

Im probably way behind the curve with kpop. Just started getting into it by hearing a few Secret songs and now I starting to spread into more. Here are a few im into now...most of these are probably obvious since they are pretty popular videos on youtube.

Girls' Generation 소녀시대_THE BOYS

Wonder Girls (원더걸스) - Be My Baby

T-ARA _ Roly Poly

IU (아이유) _ Good Day (좋은 날)

edit:afteri posted this a new IU MV showed up.

IU - You & I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_iQRO5BdCM

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's what Soshified is! Thanks Rei. I asked another CAG what the fuck that meant and she didn't answer me. X-(
Has anyone seen the "Let Go" video by m-Flo? Good stuff. I'm a definite Yoshika fan.

Haters gonna hate, but no jpop thread would be complete without a healthy dose of Babymetal.  :whistle2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK3NMZAUKGw

Let's see...

Ayumi Hamasaki, Mika Nakashima(the Nana stuff is fucking great!), Kuraki Mai, m-Flo, Yoshika, Melody, Ryohei, Kuwata Keisuke, off the top of my head for J-Pop.
For K-Pop....Lee Hyun Do, Deux, Solid, Kim Gun Mo, BoA, Bada, SES, Shinhwa, H.O.T., Uhm Jung Hwa, Lee Jung Hyun, Drunken Tiger, old Yoon Mirae(don't like her new stuff. Hip-Hop and R&B DON'T mix into Folk well, especially Hip-Hop. Stuff doing Folk with Hip-Hop and R&B mixed in Yoon! X-( ), CB Mass, etc. Seo Taiji, TTma. Oh and PSY of course. :D
C-Pop there's S.H.E. at least with "Ai Qing De Hai Yang"(Sea Of Love as prefer to calling it "Love Ocean"....yeach).
Necro quote

Wow, you are old school with K-pop. Surprised that Us, Goofy, Fin.K.L., Yoo Seung Jun, Cho P.D., and Koyotae aren't on your list. :D

I prefer more new stuff, meaning since like 2010 and on.

Fav groups are:

Female: SNSD f(x) 2NE1 T-ara Kara Red Velvet Brown Eyed Girls Wonder Girls BoA

Male: SHINee Super Junior 2PM BigBang Infinite

I love the dance music and the dances that go with them.

And I like all there shows so you feel like you can kinda get to know them and see how they act besides when they are on stage.

Love Running Man

My favorites: 

Korean: JYJ, S.E.S (no longer together), DBSK, Younha, Rain, Edward Chun and Lee Sun-hee.

Japanese: Rurutia, Hikaru Utada, Kumi Koda, and Sayuri Sugawara.

Taiwanese: Aaron Yan

I also like Silent Sanctuary and Imago, two groups from The Philippines. 

The Vanness and Kangta collaboration for Scandal was pretty hot. 

bread's done
Back