MadCatz WWE BrawlPad (aka Fightpad) $19.99 PS3/360 @ Gamestop (In-Store only)

MtlTom

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I didn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd post one up. They are sold out online but a lot of the stores in my area had them:

Xbox 360

PS3

These are identical to the SF4 Fightpads, just with WWE art & a slightly different button layout. Pretty good pad, also pretty easy to hack for a custom stick (which is what I'm using it for).

Last edited by a moderator:
Even as a wrestling fan, the art is embarrassing. Plus if I remember correctly, you can't actually use these pads for the associated game due to stuff being mapped on the right stick.

Still, very good choice for randomly bashing away at fighters and downloaded games when you don't feel like digging out a stick. I think I paid $30 for one about six months ago, I'd buy another at 20 if I could find one.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']if these are like the SF4 ones, you can map the gamepad to either the LS/RS/Dpad[/QUOTE]

Yup, they have a 3-way switch that let you choose which to map it to.

Think I'll be picking one of these up tomorrow!

I'm confused. I thought these were for the big arcade stick controllers. How much are those?

What makes these different? Sorry but I'm uninformed.

[quote name='Drizzt240']I'm confused. I thought these were for the big arcade stick controllers. How much are those?

What makes these different? Sorry but I'm uninformed.[/QUOTE]

Just looking at the link pretty much describes everything for you...

It's a fightpad. Precise D-Pad (mappable to any stick) plus six buttons and two shoulders.

A good arcade stick will run you over $100, over 5x times the price of one of these.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Just looking at the link pretty much describes everything for you...

It's a fightpad. Precise D-Pad (mappable to any stick) plus six buttons and two shoulders.

A good arcade stick will run you over $100, over 5x times the price of one of these.[/QUOTE]

What's a fightpad? What does mappable to any stick mean? My dog chews on some sticks. Why would I need 6 buttons and 2 shouldsers?

I decided to get one for my PS3. I thought it was going to be a wired controller, its not but thats ok, the button responsiveness seems fine regardless and I like the D-pad it's comfortable and seemed easy to do fireballs. I have fighting sticks for my xbox but needed a cheap fighting controller for ps3 so this was perfect.

[quote name='Stimes']I decided to get one for my PS3. I thought it was going to be a wired controller, its not but thats ok, the button responsiveness seems fine regardless and I like the D-pad it's comfortable and seemed easy to do fireballs. I have fighting sticks for my xbox but needed a cheap fighting controller for ps3 so this was perfect.[/QUOTE]

That's lame, I'd prefer a wired one too. The Xbox ones are.

I'm more interested in how well the Xbox 360 one works with a PC. I'm loving my wireless adapter + Xbox 360 controller for racing games and such. I'd just like a PC gamepad with a good D-pad (which this one seems to have). Thoughts?

[quote name='coolrust']Is this pad made for WWE only?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='karyadi']do these work well for regular games too? assuming games with co-op like CoD or halo?[/QUOTE]
It's not for WWE only. You can use it on just about any game where you only need 1 stick or the D-Pad. There is a switch in the back that makes the D-Pad function as the LS, RS, or D-Pad on a regular controller. Obviously it won't work on an FPS or most 3D games since you can't move and aim/move the camera. Works great on a lot of XBLA titles. I love using it for the Genesis Collection.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I'm more interested in how well the Xbox 360 one works with a PC. I'm loving my wireless adapter + Xbox 360 controller for racing games and such. I'd just like a PC gamepad with a good D-pad (which this one seems to have). Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Works with the standard MS drivers for the Xbox 360 controller. I've used it on Final Burn Alpha (Arcade Emulator that's used for GGPO) & it works fine.

I haven't had success getting it to run on my Mac because for whatever reason the unofficial drivers don't support that controller or any of the fightsticks.

I agree that the artwork is ass. I was kind of embarrassed buying it. If you really hate it, there are ways to change it. Check out this forum post on SRK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0hz0o1MyOo&feature=player_embedded

It has turbo control.

I have been using one of these for Mortal Kombat and it's pretty good for that game.

Don't get it for Capcom fighters, though, because it's bad at doing diagonal motions.

[quote name='wEEman33']It has turbo control.

I have been using one of these for Mortal Kombat and it's pretty good for that game.

Don't get it for Capcom fighters, though, because it's bad at doing diagonal motions.[/QUOTE]

It's really not bad for diagonals at all once you're used to it. I think it works great for all Capcom fighters. It's my primary control device, and I have no problems whatsoever.

picked one up today, price wasn't stickered correctly in the store, but rang up right. Guy tried to sell me a weird fight pad with a clicky joystick, looked pretty sweet but was $40

[quote name='Xtrminatr']picked one up today, price wasn't stickered correctly in the store, but rang up right. Guy tried to sell me a weird fight pad with a clicky joystick, looked pretty sweet but was $40[/QUOTE]

If that joystick the guy was trying to sell you was the Mad Catz All-Stars Fightstick, I might get that for $40. That's the one I've been waiting for a drop.

I have the SFIV fightpad like this and I will say it's great.

[quote name='Xtrminatr']picked one up today, price wasn't stickered correctly in the store, but rang up right. Guy tried to sell me a weird fight pad with a clicky joystick, looked pretty sweet but was $40[/QUOTE]

He tried to sell you the PDP fightpad which the analog stick instead of a pad. Not my cup of tea, the Mad Catz pads rule to me.

[quote name='wEEman33']It has turbo control.

Don't get it for Capcom fighters, though, because it's bad at doing diagonal motions.[/QUOTE]

The guy that top 8'd SSFIV at Evo last year using a pad would disagree with you.

I personally use them for the old school games like Mega Man 9/10 or Sonic Genesis Collection and for MK.

I might buy these so I can use the circuit boards to make my arcade stick work with the 360. Ugly art's not a problem if all you're using is the guts.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']If that joystick the guy was trying to sell you was the Mad Catz All-Stars Fightstick, I might get that for $40. That's the one I've been waiting for a drop.

I have the SFIV fightpad like this and I will say it's great.[/QUOTE]

It was the PDP like the people below said.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Vers...QJWU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311463246&sr=8-2

Anyone got a tutorial to take the madcatz pcb board and hack it into a stick? I can't find anything. I have a broken street fighter pad that this one is replacing, and I'd like to salvage it if I could.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The guy that top 8'd SSFIV at Evo last year using a pad would disagree with you.[/QUOTE]

Which pad? This one? Or some other 360 pad? I'm guessing it was some different pad.

I can't see anyone placing at a major tournament with it. The diagonals on this thing are just real unreliable.

Mortal Kombat is the only fighter that works well for this controller because there are no diagonal moves.

But I only play MK with it, so the purchase was worth it for me. If you play Capcom fighters, you will probably hate this thing and feel like you got ripped off.

[quote name='LGscoundrel']I might buy these so I can use the circuit boards to make my arcade stick work with the 360. Ugly art's not a problem if all you're using is the guts.[/QUOTE]
Exactly! :applause:

[quote name='wEEman33']Which pad? This one? Or some other 360 pad? I'm guessing it was some different pad.

I can't see anyone placing at a major tournament with it. The diagonals on this thing are just real unreliable.

Mortal Kombat is the only fighter that works well for this controller because there are no diagonal moves.

But I only play MK with it, so the purchase was worth it for me. If you play Capcom fighters, you will probably hate this thing and feel like you got ripped off.[/QUOTE]
I bought one of the SF4 ones at launch. I played Balrog in both HDR & SF4 with this pad. You need to be charging downback a lot in HDR with him & going to downforward to get low rush pressure. In SF4 it was critical to be able to go from downback to upback in order to get headbutt to ultra. I didn't have any problems with it in either game. Like Guardian said, it takes a little getting used to but it's one of the best pads out there. There were players in Top 8 at EVO using this pad for both HDR & SSF4 last year. The guy that won HDR (using Zangief) played on the fightpad.

But what do I know? I play on stick now. ;)

These are solid starter sticks and can be easily upgraded with arcade quality parts.

Good deal really. Except for the cheesy wrestling graphics but w/e.

[quote name='wEEman33']Which pad? This one? Or some other 360 pad? I'm guessing it was some different pad.

But I only play MK with it, so the purchase was worth it for me. If you play Capcom fighters, you will probably hate this thing and feel like you got ripped off.[/QUOTE]

It was this pad, just the version w/ SF artwork.

I might finally get one of these fightpads. Probably just use it for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

If I get the Xbox 360 one might use it for shmups like Raiden IV, DeathSmiles, and Raiden Fighters Aces.

If I get it for the PS3 probably use it with some PSN games and Yakuza 3, just neglect the camera.

Are there any other games that this is good for besides fighting games and the ones I mentioned?

Edit: Wish the PS3 version was bluetooth enabled. I'd so sync it with my PSP or a PSPgo.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']If I get it for the PS3 probably use it with some PSN games and Yakuza 3, just neglect the camera.[/QUOTE]

It might not work with Yakuza 3. I've got that game, and it uses analog controls, not the d-pad.

[quote name='josekortez']It might not work with Yakuza 3. I've got that game, and it uses analog controls, not the d-pad.[/QUOTE]

Isn't there a switch on this fightpad like the Street Fighter version that lets you control the left thumbstick using the d-pad?

I might just wait for the Street Fighter versions to drop $10 off their current price of $30.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Isn't there a switch on this fightpad like the Street Fighter version that lets you control the left thumbstick using the d-pad?[/QUOTE]

Yes it can be set to LS, D-pad, or RS.

81aPlNpOiqL._AA1500_.jpg

Thought I would add something to this thread ... as a plug-and-play, the PS3 pad IMO actually works better on a PC than the 360 stick does. The reason is because it views the triggers as buttons on the PC, while on the 360 brawlpad, it views the LT and RT as both on the Z-axis. So, if you push them both, they'll negate each other.

I think some games which support a standard named XInput can work around this, or you could install special XBCD drivers, but I'm just letting you know that the PS3 pad works fine with all this without the need for any special work on Windows 7 x64.

bread's done
Back