Xbox 360 got water damage from flood! Need some advice from CAGs!

brother bendu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Well to make a long story short: Came home after work to find out my room has been flooded. Both my xbox 360 and power-brick was damage because of it. My system now has the flashing rrod.

Anyone know where I can get it repaired? I called one place and they were saying $85 :hot:. I was wondering if anyone knows any places that will do it for cheaper? (Anywhere around the chicago area or suburbs)

P.S. Sorry if I posted this in the worng section.

I do not want to send it to MS. I believe I am not under warranty with them and I don't want them sending me another system from their repair stash. Is it also true that MS stopped giving out free coffins?

Not to mention I have my COD: Blops cd stuck in the system. They might not return the game back if I ship it off to them.

[quote name='brother bendu']I do not want to send it to MS. I believe I am not under warranty with them and I don't want them sending me another system from their repair stash. Is it also true that MS stopped giving out free coffins?

Not to mention I have my COD: Blops cd stuck in the system. They might not return the game back if I ship it off to them.[/QUOTE]

RE" Blops you can manually eject the disc. Xbox.com support forums has the process. (Basically stick a paper clip into a hole (Which one depends on the type of drive) and it manually ejects the drive so you can retrieve the disc.

If you had that bad of flood damage are you going to file an insurance claim? If so they may cover a replacement as part of the claim.

This sound stupid and a bit off-the wall but I remember my friend and me sent his Xbox 360 to a repair-shop in New York and they did a very good job. It took about a week and they gave us a 90 day warranty.

In short, we got the service from Ebay. I can't complain.

Honestly, if they got wet then you probably don't want it repaired. There is a high likelyhood that it will never work correctly from this point forward. Good luck whatever you decide.

Whatever you do OP, dont send it to some modder who claims they can "fix" the issue. They cant. Temporarily sure. Permanently no. Besides think about it.....RROD can occur for various reasons. A modders "fix" to it? Replace X-clamps, thermal paste, reball/reflow the system mobo with which most modders having improper tools to do so. In other words you'll get a fix that may work for a month if you're lucky. Also the "fix" might be cheaper than sending to MS, but in the end could cost you more when your system fails again by buying another console.

You send to MS you'll at least have the security of knowing that one of two things will happen. One being they'll find, and replace the cause of the RROD in your system essentially fixing it, and send it back to you. Second being they'll replace your console entirely with a refurbished unit (or brand new one if you're under warranty still). It may cost more, but you'll have more peace of mind.

[quote name='ufskenney']Honestly, if they got wet then you probably don't want it repaired. There is a high likelyhood that it will never work correctly from this point forward. Good luck whatever you decide.[/QUOTE]
Not being a dick to the OP, but he is right about this. Looking at things, you'll spend more money in repairs in a 6 month period than just buying a console from Craigslist/Ebay/CAG/Yard Sale.

I want to thank everyone for their comments.

usdk: I see what you are saying. The reason why I was thinking about a repair is that I had it standing up and it was never FULLY submerged in water. I was not there, so I can only guess how high the water got.

Aeroforce: how much would it cost for MS to fix it? (Including the coffin)

Fezlopez: you are not being a dick at all. I want honest opinions so I can weigh down my options. I also have to factor in that I have to. Buy a new power brick as well. That's going to be $20-$30 in itself, so buying a new/used one was an option I considered.

[quote name='brother bendu']Aeroforce: how much would it cost for MS to fix it? (Including the coffin)[/QUOTE]

$90 plus a cardboard box that you must supply, which can range from anywhere between $1 and $5. I know, the box is ridiculously expensive.

Ok so $95 to get it repaired, $20-$30 for the power brick, plus the 4 week wait for them to fix it? If I have to pay that much I rather buy a used/new arcade system and swap the 4 gig with my 60 gig.

I looked up some repair shops from craigslist (sp) and the cheapest I see is $60 to fix. However, most of these places give only 30 day warranty on their work. After what aero said about the chance of it just being "fixed" temporary, I am afriad to waste money.

Sometimes MS has pretty good turn around time on repairing, and sending back consoles. The 4 weeks you're hearing is the maximum it could take up to. Most times you'll get it back within 2- 2 1/2 weeks, unless the repair center it goes to has a high volume of repairs.

The modders repair service you see on craigslist offering 30 day warranty.....Remember what I said about how reliable those services can be. I'm telling you from experience, cause aside from posting here, I also post on the Xbox scene website forums, which has a fairly large community of modders. I hear and read about these fixes all the time. The fixes are never permanent.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='aeroforce325']Sometimes MS has pretty good turn around time on repairing, and sending back consoles. The 4 weeks you're hearing is the maximum it could take up to. Most times you'll get it back within 2- 2 1/2 weeks, unless the repair center it goes to has a high volume of repairs.

The modders repair service you see on craigslist offering 30 day warranty.....Remember what I said about how reliable those services can be. I'm telling you from experience, cause aside from posting here, I also post on the Xbox scene website forums, which has a fairly large community of modders. I hear and read about these fixes all the time. The fixes are never permanent.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your advice on this matter! I will not get it repaired and will try to sell my system off. Now I am thinking about getting a used or refurbished xbox 360. Would a refurbished xbox last, or would that be temporary before it croaks on me

Again I want to thank everyone that has helped me in this issue.

TCR are the best around for Console repairs, fast and price isn't amazing or anything but it's not overpriced by any means.
http://www.totalconsolerepair.co.uk/
Thats their website, you can get a courier sent if I remember XD

I delivered mine and picked it up myself because their workshops not far from me.

Hope they can help you :)
EDIT: Just realised your american :$ Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Your choice on what you want to do with it, though I will say that a refurbished a unit sold through gamestop, or any other legitmate video game retailer will last longer than an off the street fix from a console modder.

[quote name='aeroforce325']Your choice on what you want to do with it, though I will say that a refurbished a unit sold through gamestop, or any other legitmate video game retailer will last longer than an off the street fix from a console modder.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have almost $300 in credit from GS and was thinking of buying a PS3 with it. I might buy the PS3, sale/trade some 360 games and wait until I have enough cash/store credit for another 360. I would ship it off to MS, but I do not think they will replace the power brick. I will call MS support and ask.

I have lots of new PS3 games that could occupy my time. MK9 here I come! lol.

We got a new house last summer and i moved in the basement

One rainy night i woke up and i was ona raft on my air bed lol. 10k seal tight foundation repair and dont leak anymore. luckily i had a lot of stuff off the ground on tables (good habit i guess haha)but i did lose a few small electronics

few things i learned about that t
-treat the basement floor of any place you live in as hot lava
-when buying a house look yourself for water damage lines, any other party is just out to make money.
-have a wet vac and pool pump handy in case it ever floods again
-dehumidifiers work great at taking out water like it never was there but never leave em on all the time when living in a basement because it makes the place to dry!

-and electronics are more resilient to water than people think. ive washed my mp3 player before and after drying it in the sun for 3 days it started working agian. my remotes and xbox controllers were in the floor and after letting em dry they worked too. i think the trick is letting the stuff dry completely before even considering turning em on again. there is also some trick with rice in the frig but id just leave the stuff by a window to let it sun dry for a few days. :)

Kevfactor: thanks for the advice. I will try to keep it ine the sun until next week. Until then I will just weigh my options and see what's best.

I am thinking that aeroforce is right. I should just ship it in to MS and have them fix it. At least it will be under a new warranty and $90-$100 is better than any other offer with no warranty.

Just my $0.02 man, but I'd sell the thing if I were you. MS does offer warranties on the system, but the genereal rule of thumb for electronics, at least in my experience, is that once a defect has occurred, you can get it to function, but it'll never be like it was. I sent my PS3 into repair to Sony, and TECHNICALLY it's fixed, but I still suffer occasional weirdness like game freezes, slowdown etc. I've come to accept it, though I regret not selling it as it was to a modder that could've tried his luck at it, and picking one on the cheap at Craigslist. My friend sent his 360 in for repair and has wonkies like disc drive jamming and it's loud ad hell, even by 360 standards. You can find great value on 360 bundles on Craigy, and Gamestop has a nice $99 360 package going. (Also comes with warranty)Good luck! ;)

bread's done
Back