CAGcast #248: The Chart Doesn't Care

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]It truly is a Summer of Arcade with discussions on From Dust, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, and Bastion. Oh, and don't forget about Infamous 2 because we would never do that. Get your questions or topics answered via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]157[/podcast]
Download - 76 minutes, 46MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN
Monthly Special: $13.99 .co domains = CAG1399[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro: Boss Rush - Rez

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro - Pitfall commercial

photo%20%283%29.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
CAGcast and Gamespy Debriefings are the only "video game" podcasts I listen too anymore since they don't only talk about video games :)

[quote name='Mahoney07']CAGcast and Gamespy Debriefings are the only "video game" podcasts I listen too anymore since they don't only talk about video games :)[/QUOTE]

Shame Bromley got laid off. The Debreifings used to be my favorite

Anyways, haven't listened to the show yet, but I cant wait to see the explanation for this picture XD

I think one of Catherine's strengths is in the fact that it mixes up the options for good and bad. One of the reasons I can never get into the bioware-type games is because I feel obligated to pick the top option no matter what because it's the good one. In this type of gameplay I think its great and allows you to interact honestly since you don't know whats good and whats bad, and I'd like to see it that way in more games.

I'm not sure if this will make Cheapy or Shipwreck feel bad but whatever- if Wombat wasn't on the show I wouldn't listen anymore. I love you Wombat.

Cheapy: "So, what would you do, Wombat, if you were in this situation?"
Wombat: "I...would sit there and cry..."

:lol:

And, Cheapy, you helped sell me on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. I had concerns about the controls. Sounds fun. Glad the music's great, too. Like other arcade games, I don't know when I'll play them, but, I'll definitely pick it up.

You must already know this but most of the time when you say you can't hear wombat we can hear him just fine.

Wombat you're awesome, keep up the good work. :)

Nice chart Cheapy, I'm surprised Shipwreck didn't make one in excel. :) Awesome show though, shame you just missed the news of the 3DS price drop. Also, not sure why Wombat's speed has gone down so much but it is a fact that the more users that use cable modems in your area, your bandwidth will go down. So I wonder if that is your issue. I've had podcasts communications errors but since each recording is done locally we of coarse do not hear any issues.

[quote name='Chase']And, Cheapy, you helped sell me on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. I had concerns about the controls. Sounds fun. Glad the music's great, too. Like other arcade games, I don't know when I'll play them, but, I'll definitely pick it up.[/QUOTE]
Did I say the music was great? It's pretty minimalistic, but the sound fx are pretty good.

Here's my MacGyver like solution to your door problem - Take the pins out of the hinges, then take the door completely off the frame. The pins are not easy to remove, but it can be done with makeshift tools. Position a small key (or screwdriver or metal pen or whatever thin/sturdy metal object you can find) at the base of the pin (located on the bottom side of the hinge) and use a hardcover book (as if it were a hammer/mallet) to hit the under side of the pin so as to pop it up/out of the hinge. Repeat for all pins, then slowly move the door off its hinge.

The only way this solution doesn't work is if the hinges are located on the other side of the door (which they won't be because all standard interior doors rotate away from the hallway and towards the bedroom).

There there Wombat, no need to cry . . .

The Wii is still the best selling console this generation, both in North America and worldwide. The PS3 and 360 are fighting for second place, not first place.

SWTOR Collector's edition is 3rd so far for this month? That's pretty impressive for it only being up for pre-orders last thursday. I know I did my part to increase that count by 1 =)

Wombat the same thing happened to me two times with my cable provider. My internet would be fine and during peak hours it would go extremely slow or disconnect. We tried calling to see if this could be resolved but it was always a pain. The first time the problem was resolved when a tornado took out all the telephone poles around my house. Last summer when this happened again it turns out the cable outside had water damage.

Good luck having them come to your house. It took a tornado and paying for a higher speed internet to get Charter to fix it.

[quote name='x caponed x']I think one of Catherine's strengths is in the fact that it mixes up the options for good and bad. One of the reasons I can never get into the bioware-type games is because I feel obligated to pick the top option no matter what because it's the good one. In this type of gameplay I think its great and allows you to interact honestly since you don't know whats good and whats bad, and I'd like to see it that way in more games.[/QUOTE]

That's not true about bioware type games, matter of fact, it's never simple to figure out what is good and evil sometimes.

A game like Infamous is a straight good or evil type game that leans toward's Catherine's good/evil selections.

Slow internet connections are really ruining the internets, hopfully soon my area will get fibre optic which allowes up to 50MBs. My current connection below.

For advertising you should employ the mega64 to make you a video to promote the website. They have done stuff for ubisoft and other game companys in the past.

I been listening to the Cagcast since day one and I honestly enjoy Cheapy and Wombat. Now, with the addition of Shipwreck, it makes the show more enjoyable. I think that if any one of the three would leave the podcast, the show will not be the same. Of course, this is my opinion and many would agree.

Keep up the good work and Wombat, you are a great!

[quote name='davidb69']That's not true about bioware type games, matter of fact, it's never simple to figure out what is good and evil sometimes.

A game like Infamous is a straight good or evil type game that leans toward's Catherine's good/evil selections.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played most Bioware games, just Mass Effect. But based on that I would disagree. On their convo wheel, the bottom option is always bad, top is always good, middle is always neutral. Then the two on the left side has blue for good, red for bad.

My main problem with those decisions is that the choice you make never quite plays out the way the dialogue wheel makes it look like.

I can't believe how you completely did not represent dads. You should just change the name of the show to the momcast. Week after week you talk about moms, but I'll have you know that the there were more dads sold worldwide than there were moms this year.

I wasn't surprised about the price drop for the 3DS. Nintendo did the same thing five months after launching the DSi. Of course they had also already announded the DSi XL. They haven't annoucned the upgraded version of the 3DS... yet. Oh, and it was only a $20 drop, not slashing the price by a third.

It was odd that Wombat's not enthusiastic about the Captain America movie. Everyone I've talked to says it's great, and I really expected him to be enchanted by it. Kinda unsettling.
Speaking of unsettling, since Not Another Teen Movie, I have difficulty picturing Chris Evans in a serious role. A wiseacre Human Torch is fine, but how do you buy a guy playing the ultimate symbol of heroic do-gooder-dom after you've seen him walking around with a banana sticking out of his ass?

[quote name='CheapyD']Did I say the music was great? It's pretty minimalistic, but the sound fx are pretty good.[/QUOTE]

It could have been "good." I can't recall; it was late. But, I do remember your thoughts about the music were positive. Good sound effects is a good thing.

And I read your thoughts on the final boss on Twitter. I'll have to remember that when I get to that part.

Wombat, I was dying when you said which movie theatre screwed up during your rant. The last time I was stuck going to the Levittown theatre was during Clerks II midnight sneak preview. Worse experience EVER having an entire theatre filled with Kevin Smith fans in the July heat WITHOUT DAMN AIR CONDITIONING WORKING. The workers had nothing to say despite the conditions while watching the movie.

My boyfriend was given 2 free passes there and we just can't bring ourselves to go to that hellhole for a free movie. I'll be sticking with Westbury.

[quote name='davidb69']That's not true about bioware type games, matter of fact, it's never simple to figure out what is good and evil sometimes.

A game like Infamous is a straight good or evil type game that leans toward's Catherine's good/evil selections.[/QUOTE]

What I said was a little unclear, so I'll put it a different way.

What I enjoy about Catherine is that in order to max out your good meter, you have to be bad to someone. When I said bioware-type games, I just meant games with morality meters. Usually, you're a hero, and you do heroic things to be good and evil things to be bad. In Catherine, if you want to max out your good meter, you have to be bad to Catherine. This is hard to do for me, and ends up leading to me making more realistic choices for both Catherine and Katherine text messages.

In addition, you also have the questions at the end of a section of climbing where it isn't entirely clear whether a choice is good or bad, whereas in other games, usually the top dialogue option is the one to go with.

I love the show, and will miss the CAGcast for the next few weeks. I guess I'll have to play video games or something to pass time. :D

Hmm hopefully Wombat can sort it his internet soon, its getting a tad irritating him dropping in/out of the show.. Apart from that great stuff!

Here's a suggestion for the show: All three of you should just get high and record a show...just think of all the traffic you will bring to the site... and all the money that will go into cheapys pocket so he can buy more crap from Apple.

I ate a Burger while I was listening to the CAGcast and it was very very very very very very very good.

[quote name='Curufinwe']The Wii is still the best selling console this generation, both in North America and worldwide. The PS3 and 360 are fighting for second place, not first place.[/QUOTE]Best-selling but it was a fad. So many Wiis are collecting dust and haven't been turned on in a long time. Software sales have jumped off a cliff. PS3 and Xbox 360, introduced at the same time, continue to sell games and systems.

Nintendo did this to themselves. They cut a wildly successful and profitable generation short. Nobody has ever done that, and they did it twice. They shifted development resources away as well.

US PS2 Hardware Sales:

2002: 8420000
2003: 6320000
2004: 4630000

On its face, this can be made to look very scary. Despite declining every year since (except 1), even with price drops and whathaveyou, everything worked out fine for the PS2. Nintendo got some combination of paranoid and stupid.

All the haters should leave Wombat alone. While the show could go on without him (as it happened several times over the last two shows) it just wouldn't be the same. The trio of opinions and anecdotes is what makes this podcast so damn enjoyable.

Plus, who truly cares if Sony and PSN isn't mentioned each and every show? So what if the predominant platform is the Xbox? If those are the games that are being played, then they will talk about the games. We don't need to hear constant news about each and every platform and a story about each game released. Ship, Cheapy and Wombat take the time to give us good insight as to which games we should be spending our time and money on. They have limited time to play what they can, and they play what they want, unless Shipwreck has to write a review.

Keep up the great work as always. You'll be missed for the next couple of weeks.

This show would not be the same without Wombat. Cheapy D is a awesome person but if Wombat wasn't on I don't think I'd listen to the show anymore.

I have a new theory I've been working on: I think CheapyD and Wombat are long time lovers. This secret causes a lot of frustration that occasionally spills out on the cagcast. If you listen to the early episodes carefully Cheapy's voice usually sounds slightly muffled which confirms that they typically recorded with Wombat in Cheapy's lap. Don't believe me? Look what was recently registered on godaddy.com: www.brokebackgamer.com

Cheapy pretends to live in Japan so that he may come and go without suspicion. Seal team 6 regularly sneaks him into Japan via nuclear submarine to sabotage Sony and all their endeavors for the US government. Obamacare needed to destroy medical research conducted by PS3 folding. Geohot was just the fall guy... ever hear of Geobald? Of course you haven't. Recent recording quality problems are caused by all the surveillance equipment Japan has secretly installed around Cheapy's secret mansion in their recent attempt to thwart him.

Big red was brought in about a year or so ago to spice things up on the podcast (and in bed where they record naked). Unfortunately, CheapyD and Wombat couldn't help falling for him and his super sexy spiderman lingerie. This only caused more problems for the show (see chart in op).

...and that's why Cheapy and Wombat hate each other almost as much as they hate playstation.

CAGCAST is best with all members, keep up the good work, wombat is hilarious and I would have never gone to the site if the podcast was not funny and engaging.

Please do not even consider removing Wombat. (Though I doubt you are actually considering it) Wombat has remained consistent for so long. I say this because even when Cheapy and Shipwreck seem to be dry, Wombat is always there for a joke. Wombat is the best character in the show, not that I dislike ether of you, in fact I think everyone is great. Great show as always guys!

If anyone has been listening to the CAGCAST for a long time they'd know that Wombat has contributed a lot to the show, and to CAG overall. I remember wombat going out on several gaming events, and coming back and reporting on the show. He's come up with Great segments to keep the show from going stale. I've been listening to other podcasts and some have had conversations about their hosts contributions to the site, and people tend to bring those type of topics / issues to the CAGCAST.

I also, think that instead of breaking the show up into. Sony, xbox, and nintendo, just talk about the games. When you guys get to Sony, or nintnedo, and you announce that you have nothing to talk about, it makes listeners feel like they were missing something; whereas if you just skipped it, and talked about the games, I doubt anyone would miss the segment.

The videogame podcast genre is becoming increasingly crowded so that could be part of the reason. That and it seems like a lot of gamers lack a sense of humor. The reason why the cagcast is the only podcast I listen to is for the funny stories and banter between cheapy, wombat and shipwreck. I think it's just the right balance of game discussion and shenanigans.

If wombat leaves/gets let go that will be worse than the cheech & chong breakup. Wombat is essential and actually my favorite on the podcast. Without him I doubt i'd listen as often. He brings the comedy. All 3 are needed for the show. Without Wombat though, the show would be more dry then a lot of British comedies.

Thanks for the shout-out, glad to know I'm Shipwrecks favorite :D
Wombat and CheapyD are the show. That's what it was, you can't remove one of the main ingredients out of a recipe, it just doesn't taste right anymore. Shipwreck is a decent addition but he's like an extra ingredient to spice up the recipe, you can still remove him but it'll be just fine. No offense to Shippy there.

Just a tip here, don't rush yourselves through your personal stories so much, thats my favorite part of the show easily. It just seems like sometimes you're quick to go through them.

bread's done
Back