- - - - -

3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

#61 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10640 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

I'm curious to see how this impacts sales on ebay & craigslist.

Used prices will drop fast and i Absolutly Love it !
Currently playing
:ps4: fez, strider, blacklight retribution, the transistor

games recently beaten: :ps4: assassins creed black flag, wolfenstein new order, lego marvel, contrast, infamous first light

690739.png

#62 UncleBob  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

I'm really curious about the price adjustment thing. My wife's been on the edge about getting a 3DS and if we can buy one now, connect to the eShop, then price adjust, but still get the free games... whew... that might be good enough to do it.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#63 Treythalomew   Add me on PSN! CAGiversary!   560 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Treythalomew

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Not only was it a waste of money, it isn't even a quality product. Now I can play all the games I use to love on gba on my 3ds with its pathetic dpad, crap hinge, and screen scratching closure.
Posted Image

#64 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10640 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Also, this basically confirms Nintendo was selling the system at an INSANE profit margin. There is no way otherwise they would have done a drop this drastic.

Well it worked for the wii. They just stick two gamecubes together and boom, huge profit
Currently playing

games recently beaten: :ps4: assassins creed black flag, wolfenstein new order, lego marvel, contrast, infamous first light

690739.png

#65 MoCiWe   is a space smuggler CAGiversary!   6627 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago   Has been playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Wii U

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

You know...with all those free games that I'll be getting, I don't even mind the price drop being an early adopter, and honestly the numbers posted for how many sold didn't even look that bad, looks like Nintendo really wants to get competitive with the competition.

659629.png?68329996

I like to stream sometimes! twitch.tv/mociwe

#66 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30342 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

I had fun with it too, but still, rather have $90 in my pocket. Just 4 months out is what burns. If it was start of next year. I'd be fine. Oh well.

Also, this basically confirms Nintendo was selling the system at an INSANE profit margin. There is no way otherwise they would have done a drop this drastic.

Yeah, they had to be making a bundle.

#67 thisboywillbreak   it's never been easy CAGiversary!   1135 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

thisboywillbreak

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

This is pretty surprising, though it makes total sense. I'll have enough Amazon credit saved up by then, but I doubt I'll pull the trigger since OoT is the best game on 3DS. That alone says a lot about its library and overall support.
Posted Image

#68 jer7583   only 5 can ladder CAGiversary!   11985 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

It's kind of funny in a way to think of Nintendo's strategy as Pricing close to what they expected Vita to cost Sony to manufacture and then drop price drastically before holiday/vita's release.

Will hopefully leave Sony in the lurch - launching an expensive tech item that's priced at what they thought was a huge value but is now almost $100 more than the competition and also at a very slim profit margin for them.

Meanwhile nintendo suffers a few months of bad PR and gets HUGE profit margins from its most die-hard fans, and reasonably large profit margins from the legions of Mario Kart holiday buyers.

Cold blooded! But smart, I guess.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#69 DarkRider23   hates hoarders CAGiversary!   3420 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

DarkRider23

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

Uh... That's what Nintendo has been doing for ages. People are idiots and just keep falling for it.

#70 admiralvic   大将 CAGiversary!   6362 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

I'd rather have a voucher for a full retail 3DS game-- or about $100 back.

I think that this is fair for both ends. Naturally if we got a free game it would be a classic port... like Starfox which is nice, but 20 games > Starfox. In fact LoZ + Mario would be more than enough.

Considering I paid less for my used one + got most of my coins + the other early free stuff + am getting more... well how can I not be happy =D

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#71 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   9870 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

10 Free NES games, 10 free GBA games. Fuck yes.

This certainly helps the burn for early adopters. I'm not sure if I would have bought any of those free games, but they're all great games I look forward to messing with again or for the first time.

Considering how soon the promotions expire, I wonder if we can expect a big drop to the eShop update today? Perhaps the NES games, at least?

#72 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10640 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

It's kind of funny in a way to think of Nintendo's strategy as Pricing close to what they expected Vita to cost Sony to manufacture and then drop price drastically before holiday/vita's release.

Will hopefully leave Sony in the lurch - launching an expensive tech item that's priced at what they thought was a huge value but is now almost $100 more than the competition and also at a very slim profit margin for them.

Meanwhile nintendo suffers a few months of bad PR and gets HUGE profit margins from its most die-hard fans.

Cold blooded! But smart, I guess.

But We dont know how much profit Sony is making on the vita. It might not be much at the start or it could be more than you think. The parts to make a vita are not really expensive. Besides, the vita's features are worth 100 dollars more then the 3ds anyway imo
Currently playing

690739.png

#73 LakersForLife82481   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1027 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

LakersForLife82481

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

LOL

3DS=PSP....how ironic!?
Posted Image

#74 fartman   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   30 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

this might just be the cheap ass gamer in me, but i sure do hope amazon still throws you 25$ with a purchase of a 3ds :bouncy:

#75 Celsius   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   229 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

If you buy at best buy before the price drops, you can take advantage of the early adopters program, then go in with your receipt for a refund of the price difference?
Game & Print Club
http://www.gameandprintclub.com
https://www.facebook.com/gameandprint

"What! Sarah, look not upon me with doubting eyes."- Motoko Aoyoma (Love Hina: Mystery Guests at Hinata Hotel)

#76 Abeja   CAG with No Title CAGiversary!   2778 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

Nice would be great to see a sale around Black Friday/Holidays for $100 3DS or close to that. I too am surprised at how big of a drop, but I do agree that the PS Vita has something to do with it.

#77 jer7583   only 5 can ladder CAGiversary!   11985 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

to some people they might be.

I personally don't care about Uncharted Portable and.... what else?

I don't know what the vita costs to make but 5 inch OLED screens are not cheap. Neither will the storage for console-type downloadable games be cheap.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#78 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10640 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

this might just be the cheap ass gamer in me, but i sure do hope amazon still throws you 25$ with a purchase of a 3ds :bouncy:

I was thinking the same thing lol. 50% off any 3ds game (basicly zelda) with a 3ds purchase would be move too
Currently playing

690739.png

#79 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19139 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

I would rather see a price drop on games. $39.99 is too much for many games.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#80 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10640 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

to some people they might be.

I personally don't care about Uncharted Portable and.... what else?

I don't know what the vita costs to make but 5 inch OLED screens are not cheap. Neither will the storage for console-type downloadable games be cheap.

Uncharted golden abyss is going to rock ! However because you dont want it i highly recomend you look up gravity daze, reality fighters and little deveants. Plus little big planet vita is going to be a launch game.
Currently playing

690739.png

#81 trent82   Master Of Unlocking CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

As a day one purchaser, I have no problem with this. I've been losing interest in Nintendo in recent years like most people, but I decided to pick up a 3DS at launch and I really like it. I've been enjoying the system since March and now we're getting 20 free classic games. Hopefully now, more people will buy these things so I can finally get a hit on Street Pass to get a new puzzle to work on.
3DS Friend Code :: 5112-3434-8624

#82 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30342 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

Oh jer, don't go trolling another Sony product in this thread.

#83 Gosha   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2243 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

Debating about picking one up now at Best Buy and doing a pricematch within 30 days.

#84 saiyajinsc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   481 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

screw all these freebies, I would rather have something new than these old games. I won't be an early adopter of nintendo anymore, that's for sure. I hope the Wii U fails!! Which it will.

#85 David Hibiki   Well then... CAGiversary!   9253 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Wow this is pretty huge. I've never seen a system drop that much in less then a year. I just hope this doesn't mean Nintendo is giving up on the system after a year or two on the market. I would like to think at $150 or close to $150 the system is going to start selling really well once Mario Kart, Star Fox and the other Mario games hit the system.

#86 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10640 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

screw all these freebies, I would rather have something new than these old games. I won't be an early adopter of nintendo anymore, that's for sure. I hope the Wii U fails!! Which it will.

Why would you want a console to fail ? The more sucessfull consoles on the market there are the healthier the industry is
Currently playing

690739.png

#87 sinned47   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

now all im waiting for a bigger library for the 3ds.

#88 Abeja   CAG with No Title CAGiversary!   2778 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

It has some games Im definitely interested in. Again, I hope Black Friday has a nice bundle or something to grab.

#89 David Hibiki   Well then... CAGiversary!   9253 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Definitely gotta keep the eye out for a early drop to $170 to score all those freebies...

Anyone sees it drop prior to that date better post the deal asap lol

#90 sevast   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   175 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

just picked up a new pspgo for $100, but thinking about returning and saving for this.

I've wondered if the $250 was a price simply to get what early adopters are willing to pay. You know how insane the wii market was while it was selling out. I wonder if they expected the 3ds market to be similar so they thought they would cash in on that and it backfired.