- - - - -

3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

#1081 maxfisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

maxfisher

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:38 PM

To those making it sound like there's going to be a flood of people buying the system and then returning it to get the price difference credited, it's not going to happen. Most people aren't CAGers.

Agree 100%. The $169 price is to boost sales to parents and the general public this holiday. The allowance of the 20 free games & price match combination is to boost sales from informed gamers now. It's pretty savvy and I'll probably be selling off my DS Lite and picking up a 3DS later this week.

#1082 knightsdwn   Beautiful Plastic CAGiversary!   3419 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:47 PM

I've got a quick question for anyone that has one, as I am about to go pick one up and was wondering about it. Since the battery supposedly goes pretty quick, I am guessing it wouldn't last too long or be too beneficial for long flights, like international flights. Is there any kind of USB charger or anything that can be used to charge it for cases like that?

Or is the port some kind of dumb Nintendo-only port like they seem to like using for their handhelds.

Nintendo uses proprietary crap unfortunately.

I purchased an alternative called Power Pak+ from Amazon for $19.99 and got it today. The Pak effectively doubles the battery life but it thickens up the system a bit. The Pak has a nice rubberized texture that gives folks with large hands like myself a much better grip.
One word of warning is to be extremely careful with the four screws on the back of the system. It is as easy to strip the screws as the PS3 HD's.

Edit: not sure if link is working, but the direct link is http://www.amazon.co...duct/B004SJA7L6

#1083 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10388 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

Agree 100%. The $169 price is to boost sales to parents and the general public this holiday. The allowance of the 20 free games & price match combination is to boost sales from informed gamers now. It's pretty savvy and I'll probably be selling off my DS Lite and picking up a 3DS later this week.

I agree. Were I not already a 3DS owner, I would likely have sold off a thing or two to bring in money to purchase a 3DS quickly. The Ambassador program is really solid.

#1084 karmapolice   Resistance is useless CAGiversary!   3278 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

karmapolice

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

Picked up a 3ds from target today. Was assured anything that has a price drop within 14 days of purchase is valid for a refund of the difference.

Have zelda 3ds already that I got for 25 bucks through gamefly a couple weeks ago so ive been looking for a reason to grab one. Looking forward to the free games!

#1085 ravens52bears54   Thin Blue Line CAGiversary!   1432 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

ravens52bears54

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:24 AM

Ok, so how can you actually verify that you've been included in the Ambassador Program? know it says that you just have to log into the eShop just once, which I have, but it's not like you get any prompt or anything and I don't want to be screwed out of my games.

Edited by ravens52bears54, 02 August 2011 - 02:41 AM.

#1086 akilshohen   Akilla!!! CAGiversary!   2285 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

akilshohen

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:02 AM

This is EXACTLY what Nintendo was counting on. They knew that by dropping the price people would rush out and buy them, and also buy a crappy 3DS game or two to tide them over until November when the good stuff starts coming out.

They got the wrong person. LOL. I got SSFIV on 360 and DOA4. I browsed through the market place and I can't believe they're trying to pass this stuff off for these prices. They need another fire lit under them.
You only need to go in the market place to get the 20 games right?

#1087 mariol90   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   111 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:24 AM

Here's a video that'll explain it

my aqua blue 3DS does the same thing as the one on the left :| and when they make the noise by opening it, mine sounds like the one on the left too.

also, is the black 3DS not glossy like the aqua blue one? if so i'm exchanging it. my DS lite has been covered with a full body invisibleshield since ~july 2006 (replaced once because it was basically falling apart and yellowed), and I didn't want to have to do that with the 3DS also.

What is the problem with quality control at Nintendo? Besides the loose hinge problem, I have heard that the top screen can get scratched by the bezel or buttons/analog pad on the lower half of the unit, due to the bumpers on the unit being too shallow. Did they not evaluate all of this before releasing the 3DS? Makes no sense at all, especially when Nintendo's past history has been to build their consoles (both handheld and TV-based) very well. I stll have my old NES, SNES, N64, and GBA-SP consoles, and they're all built like tanks. I understand modern electronics may be more complicated, but these kinds of problems on a brand new console are really surprising from this company.

I agree with you, I have a pearl blue GBA SP I bought on ebay, it looked like it was absolutely destroyed. there was dirt everywhere, the L/R buttons barely work, and there are lines on the right side of the screen. but it works perfectly and the screen isn't really that bad.

#1088 TheAggroCraig   Hummus! CAGiversary!   1433 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

TheAggroCraig

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:32 AM

Ok, so how can you actually verify that you've been included in the Ambassador Program. I know it says that you just have to log into the eShop just once, which I have, but it's not like you get any prompt or anything and I don't want to be screwed out of my games.

You're fine

#1089 exceed19   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1104 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:35 AM

I bought two brand new games, and I still cant make myself buy a 3ds yet.. I am the early adopter of so much tech gear too.. I have had every system in my hands at one time except a 3do, and neo geo.. I own a sony 55 3d tv too.. I have always supported nintendo and bought every system they manufactured except the virtua boy.. but I am still soooo on the fence with this. The power that the new PS vita brings to the table to fight with, just isnt fair to the 3ds. Since only one portable system is going to get supported by me this go around (see what happens when you buy a house, and a sports car... lol) and quite frankly the 3DS is just lacking in power, and for 3d, id rather play ps3 on my 3d sony at home.. So I think I need the more adult system, and more power. I am a gfx whore.

I guess I will have to sell my ridge racer, and the ghost recon shadow wars game (is that the right title?)

#1090 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12402 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

Here's a video that'll explain it

Shit. Mines like that. Floppy. what's the fix?

#1091 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10074 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:22 AM

RedvsBlue hates Nintendo for what they have done! (I'm sure it was him that had the problem in the 3DS forum) but apparently Nintendo has an acceptable wobbliness on the product.

#1092 JokerCard   Go,go Gadget Cheapskates! CAGiversary!   1752 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

JokerCard

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

Just to be extra clear I don't have to link my club nintendo account to the portable do I? I have to just access the eshop and I'm good? If so then I'm good.

#1093 djricekcn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   526 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

djricekcn

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

Just to be extra clear I don't have to link my club nintendo account to the portable do I? I have to just access the eshop and I'm good? If so then I'm good.

You don't need to link anything nor say YES to anything but the usage terms. Once you're int he shop and able to browse through it, that's it

#1094 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

RedvsBlue hates Nintendo for what they have done! (I'm sure it was him that had the problem in the 3DS forum) but apparently Nintendo has an acceptable wobbliness on the product.

Find me a post where I said anything of the sort. What I did say is that after numerous replacements and a call to customer service (in which I was treated very rudely) I decided there was little chance of getting a system that didn't have a wobbly hinge.

Nintendo can say this is within specifications all the want but there are clearly systems with different, and more practical, hinges. I'm not sure why Nintendo can't make all their systems like the one on the right in the video but that's the 3DS I want to own.

I'm back to the DS lite now and haven't doubted my decision to trade in my 3DS at all. Plenty of games, a hinge that stays in place, and a ridiculously long battery life. All things I had to talk myself into not mattering during the 4 months I owned a 3DS.

#1095 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:37 AM

There isn't one, it's pure luck of the draw.

#1096 ravens52bears54   Thin Blue Line CAGiversary!   1432 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

ravens52bears54

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:43 AM

my aqua blue 3DS does the same thing as the one on the left :| and when they make the noise by opening it, mine sounds like the one on the left too.

also, is the black 3DS not glossy like the aqua blue one? if so i'm exchanging it. my DS lite has been covered with a full body invisibleshield since ~july 2006 (replaced once because it was basically falling apart and yellowed), and I didn't want to have to do that with the 3DS also.

Yes, the black one is glossy as well.

You're fine

Thanks.

#1097 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:57 AM

Posted Image

:lol:

#1098 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10074 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

Find me a post where I said anything of the sort.

I'm back to the DS lite now and haven't doubted my decision to trade in my 3DS at all. Plenty of games, a hinge that stays in place, and a ridiculously long battery life. All things I had to talk myself into not mattering during the 4 months I owned a 3DS.

I wasn't quoting per verbatim but was just trying to point out you were having issues with the question in hand.

After watching that damn video the first time I popped out my 3DS it's not bad like the left side but it is like the right one. I would go crazy with a wobbly 3DS considering some of the games use the gyro motion. Hell, it would be a pain in the ass to play Face Raiders.

#1099 metallicoholic   Metal 'Til I'm 60 CAGiversary!   1219 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

metallicoholic

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:13 AM

In related news, I've flip-flopped on buying a 3ds like twice more since last night. Shit is driving me berserk. I just need to resist until August 12th and then I can comfortably wait for a hardware revision before buying one.

Tell me about it. I've been going back and forth for the last couple of days. This decision really shouldn't be that difficult. I think I've finally decided that I'm just going to wait until Black Friday and hope to score a deal that involves a game or two. I don't care about the 20 free games enough and I think by November we'll see how this price drop pans out for Nintendo. If it looks like the system is going to stay afloat, I'll pick one up. Plus hopefully by then some more games and maybe another color DS will be announced.

What I really need to do in the meantime is head out to a Best Buy and actually play the thing. Maybe that'll help me decide.

#1100 cochesecochese   corrompido e imoral CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

cochesecochese

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

What I really need to do in the meantime is head out to a Best Buy and actually play the thing. Maybe that'll help me decide.

When you go to Best Buy, keep in mind that you can lift the unit up off the display stand and hold it as you would when using it at home. I was a little underwhelmed trying it on the base but as soon as I picked it up my decision was made.

#1101 Kylearan   Hell Drifter CAGiversary!   1405 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

Tell me about it. I've been going back and forth for the last couple of days. This decision really shouldn't be that difficult. I think I've finally decided that I'm just going to wait until Black Friday and hope to score a deal that involves a game or two. I don't care about the 20 free games enough...

This. I've been on the fence waiting for a price drop and this ALMOST got me, but there still aren't any 3DS game I "must have" and I don't give a frell about the 20 free games.

Sure, there are some games I'd LIKE to have (Ocarina, Tom Clancy, etc.), but unless I'm getting a system + game bundle, I'm not budging.

In the meantime, though, I'll be slowly building up a very low-cost "must play" DS library. That'll keep my buying itch in check.

#1102 EYEL1NER   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2017 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

I hope there is some kind of deal on games somewhere soon now. Every game I want that is out right now is $39.99 at all the major retailers at the moment.

#1103 tranceFusion   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

tranceFusion

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

There isn't one, it's pure luck of the draw.

I just bought one and it is floppy in that it moves about half an inch with a touch of my finger or if i re-orient the system.

Everything else is perfect with the system.. no squeaky circle pad, no squeaky hinge, no dead pixels.

Should I swap it or no? I don't want to get a worse one. Are there people out there with "perfect" systems?

#1104 tranceFusion   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

tranceFusion

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Sure, there are some games I'd LIKE to have (Ocarina, Tom Clancy, etc.), but unless I'm getting a system + game bundle, I'm not budging.

I've been playing Ocarina (with 3d off most of the time) and I forgot how tremendous this game is. I haven't played it since its original release.

For me, one truly magnificent game > a whole library of "good" games. This was one of my top 5 ever games when I played it originally and being able to play it this much later, I might have to say its the best game ever now because of how well the characters and gameplay hold up.

#1105 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

This. I've been on the fence waiting for a price drop and this ALMOST got me, but there still aren't any 3DS game I "must have" and I don't give a frell about the 20 free games.

In the meantime, though, I'll be slowly building up a very low-cost "must play" DS library. That'll keep my buying itch in check.

Well... basically, if you buy it right now, you are kinda getting it in a bundle with 10 NES games + 10 GBA games.

Not bad at all.

#1106 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

I wasn't quoting per verbatim but was just trying to point out you were having issues with the question in hand.

After watching that damn video the first time I popped out my 3DS it's not bad like the left side but it is like the right one. I would go crazy with a wobbly 3DS considering some of the games use the gyro motion. Hell, it would be a pain in the ass to play Face Raiders.

See, now you know where I'm coming from. Zelda's gyros aiming was damn near unusable. This loose hinge was one thing on DSi XLs that you will pretty much keep stationary but with the 3DS you have both the 3d effect and the games using the gyroscope which are affected negatively with the loose hinge flopping the top screen around.

I don't hate Nintendo at all because, frankly, truly hating a video game company is a bit silly. Sure you can hate things they do but unless they're responsible for killing your family putting that much effort into hating a company really is pointless.

What i do hate is their design choices with the 3DS. It annoys me that a system which they wanted to initally charge $250 for had this issues that make the system feel, not like top of the line hardware, but rather a system built from components from the cheapest manufacturers possible. It's kind of like the launch model 360s and their failure rates that were obviously due to the use of the cheapest materials available.

Do I want the 3DS fail? Not really, I'd like to see it successful enough to go the way of the DS, complete with a hardware redesign that is as good as the DS lite hardware redesign was. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind seeing more games for it because I really feel like DS has one of the best video game libraries of all time and certainly has the best portable video game library. Until then though, I can't see myself picking up the 3DS again. Fool me once... and all that jazz.

I just bought one and it is floppy in that it moves about half an inch with a touch of my finger or if i re-orient the system.

Everything else is perfect with the system.. no squeaky circle pad, no squeaky hinge, no dead pixels.

Should I swap it or no? I don't want to get a worse one. Are there people out there with "perfect" systems?

If you are going to swap it out do it at the store because your chances of getting a tight hinge from Nintendo support are slim to none. I replaced mine twice and both were about the same and most of what i could find on the internet had similar experiences...

#1107 007   Areaologist CAGiversary!   2860 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Difference of opinions, obviously, but I honestly think the 3DS feels higher quality than my original DS, DSLite, DSi, or DSiXL. Of all of them, I'd say the DSi feels the cheapest by far.

For an analogy, I feel like the 3DS is to the original model PSP as the DSi is to the PSP-3000. Both the 3DS and the original PSP, to me, felt like well-built and very solid systems. The DSi and the PSP-3000 feel overly plastic-y and very, very cheap.

Like I said, just my opinion. I've just seen a ton of people say that the 3DS feels cheap, and I just don't get it. Like many things about the system, I'll just have to agree to disagree with people.

#1108 JokerCard   Go,go Gadget Cheapskates! CAGiversary!   1752 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

JokerCard

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

Agreed 007, I feel the same way.

The 3DS feels very solid in my hands and I love the glossy nature of the outer shell but without the fingerprints. Within the first week of owning the DSi I noticed I scuffed up the outer matte coating already and I usually take care of my products with extreme care so I was surprised at how easily this was done.

Don't get me wrong they are still solidly built machines but the 3DS has a heft to it makes it that makes it feel more solid.

Plus the analog nub makes playing certain games so much more enjoyable.

I think I got lucky though cause my aqua blue 3DS has no floppy hinge but one really tiny tiny stuck pixel. Its not noticeable unless you are looking for it so im not going to bother exchanging it.

Honestly, I didn't even notice it until the screen went all black. So it may become unstuck in the future.

Edited by JokerCard, 02 August 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#1109 GaveUpTomorrow   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1816 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

GaveUpTomorrow

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

I agree with this as well. The 3DS feels like a high quality system to me. I don't have any issues with my system either :) (No loose hinge, no dead pixels, etc).

Difference of opinions, obviously, but I honestly think the 3DS feels higher quality than my original DS, DSLite, DSi, or DSiXL. Of all of them, I'd say the DSi feels the cheapest by far.

For an analogy, I feel like the 3DS is to the original model PSP as the DSi is to the PSP-3000. Both the 3DS and the original PSP, to me, felt like well-built and very solid systems. The DSi and the PSP-3000 feel overly plastic-y and very, very cheap.

Like I said, just my opinion. I've just seen a ton of people say that the 3DS feels cheap, and I just don't get it. Like many things about the system, I'll just have to agree to disagree with people.

#1110 poet17eric   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   183 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

poet17eric

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

The way I'm talking myself out of it (for now, I'm going back and forth on an hourly basis!) is to ask myself whether once the Lite came out, would I have hung onto an original DS because I had 20 free games tied to that system that I wasn't terribly interested in. I think I would have still gone with the Lite. Now, the analogy isn't perfect, the 3DS is not nearly the monstrosity that was the original DS, but the refinements that will come in a 3DS lite make we want to hold off for now even with the 20 free games...

Just don't ask me tomorrow what I think!