- - - - -

3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

#1111 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2149 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

To be honest, I actually think this thing is worth it for 170. I bought mine last week and I actually REALLY like the 3d. At first it kinda made me a BIT dizzy, but after I got used to it, I have no more problems. The 3d REALLY adds to the games and just makes the graphics seem way better. Ive definitely had impulse buys before and I usually feel so guilty that I end up returning them. BUT with the 3ds, I actually dont feel guilty. I really do enjoy it and for anyone that has the money to spend, and is considering this, I would say definitely go out and buy it. (The 20 free games really are a great bonus as well - enough to make me seal the deal.) The reality is I dont think the 3ds will be doomed or will die fast. Its a nintendo handheld console and after the ds will stop having support, it will be nintendos ONLY handheld console. I can easily see the 3ds become just as big as the DS was.

Plus having OoT on sale for 30 at target last week helped my decision.

Edited by arsenalcrazy8, 02 August 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#1112 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1857 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

The way I'm talking myself out of it (for now, I'm going back and forth on an hourly basis!) is to ask myself whether once the Lite came out, would I have hung onto an original DS because I had 20 free games tied to that system that I wasn't terribly interested in. I think I would have still gone with the Lite. Now, the analogy isn't perfect, the 3DS is not nearly the monstrosity that was the original DS, but the refinements that will come in a 3DS lite make we want to hold off for now even with the 20 free games...

Just don't ask me tomorrow what I think!

When you link your 3DS with your Club Nintendo account, aren't the downloads tied to that account?

#1113 giantqtipz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2149 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

giantqtipz

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

ok im sold.. i already ordered the vita.. but i dont mind having another handheld with unique set of games i guess

#1114 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4008 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

When you link your 3DS with your Club Nintendo account, aren't the downloads tied to that account?

No, they're tied to the hardware ID of the console. Sell/break/lose the console, and your games are gone.

#1115 Envel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   639 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

I ultimately decided to keep the 3DS. I have never owned a DS before (my 5 year old nephew has a DS Lite but can't share) so I figured why not make this my first? It feels like a solid little handheld and the 20 free games is a huge incentive on me buying it. Those will definitely hold me off until Super Smash 3ds comes along.

Just bought a starter kit on Amazon, some styluses and a nice metal case on Ebay. Hopefully the case makes the screen a little less wobbly.

#1116 poet17eric   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   183 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

poet17eric

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

No, they're tied to the hardware ID of the console. Sell/break/lose the console, and your games are gone.

I know it will never happen, but just imagine with me a day when Nintendo downloads worked like Steam, linked to an account. Regardless of the hardware you had or upgraded to, the stuff you downloaded on any Nintendo system, period. That would make me a Nintendo fan once again and justify the prices they put on downloadable content.

#1117 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   12290 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

Any guesses on how much a used 3ds will cost at gamestop after this price drop ? I'm going to get a used on there because I have 70 credits on my card so I will put it towards that. I'm guessing 129 or 139 will be the price

#1118 Halo05   DJ Roomba CAGiversary!   7924 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

I know it will never happen, but just imagine with me a day when Nintendo downloads worked like Steam, linked to an account. Regardless of the hardware you had or upgraded to, the stuff you downloaded on any Nintendo system, period. That would make me a Nintendo fan once again and justify the prices they put on downloadable content.

That would be absolutely glorious. Nintendo already missed out on selling me a red Wii because I can't transfer all my VC games off my white Wii. I'll buy a Wii U very close to launch if I can painlessly transfer my VC/Wiiware stuff to it.

I swung by Best Buy today but after messing around with the 3ds yet again, I've decided to wait for the 3ds lite or whatever will come down the pike. I own most of the free games already so beyond playing them on a new format, I'm not missing anything.

#1119 elessar123  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

any guesses on how much a used 3ds will cost at gamestop after this price drop ? I'm going to get a used on there because i have 70 credits on my card so i will put it towards that. I'm guessing 129 or 139 will be the price

$167.99.

Spoiler

#1120 lordopus99   Training for the silver CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

lordopus99

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

Aren't the games downloaded to your SD card? If so, who says you wont be able to move the SD card to a new model and play them there?

#1121 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1857 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hmmm, I was kinda right. Any games you download will be registered IN your Club Nintendo account, not necessarily tied TO your Club Nintendo account.

https://club.nintend...shop-account.do

Seems pretty dumb, if I'm reading it right. They'll be in your Club Nintendo account for points/post play surveys, but you couldn't re-download them even if it says you own them...

#1122 elessar123  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:56 PM

Aren't the games downloaded to your SD card? If so, who says you wont be able to move the SD card to a new model and play them there?

You can also backup downloads from you Wii, but you can't use then on different Wiis. So no, being able to put it on an SD card means nothing.

#1123 rebonack   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   42 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

rebonack

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

You can also backup downloads from you Wii, but you can't use then on different Wiis. So no, being able to put it on an SD card means nothing.

You can already transfer DSiWare games from a DSi or DSi XL to a 3DS, and it's been said you'll eventually be able to transfer from one 3DS to another. Granted you have to have both systems so it doesn't help if yours is lost or stolen or already traded in, but it's certainly not the same situation as the Wii.

#1124 JonnyHeartthrob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   404 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

JonnyHeartthrob

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:34 PM

Just got back from my Best Buy. I asked about the 30 day price guarantee policy and he said it would be no problem. He even mentioned that he, as well as four of his other associates purchased a 3DS the day the price drop was announced to take part in this.

His name was Jesus, so I have no reason no to trust him. I....think...

#1125 DarkLegacy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

DarkLegacy

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Luckily for me, my GF just went to Canada to see her parents. She picked me up a 3DS which was $169.99 at an Edmonton Costco. Her dad has a card there. So now I'll just have to wait till Sunday when she returns to enjoy my 3DS! :).

-DarkLegacy

#1126 crzyjoeguy   King of Beers CAGiversary!   2531 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

Any guesses on how much a used 3ds will cost at gamestop after this price drop ? I'm going to get a used on there because I have 70 credits on my card so I will put it towards that. I'm guessing 129 or 139 will be the price

id be surprised if they went lower then $149.99
i mean, on their website the used (refurb) ds's go for

$69.99 for the ds
$79.99 for the ds lite
$119.99 for the dsi
and these are really old systems and at the most a $30 discount... so i would say a $30-$40 drop right out the gate is most likely unrealistic
http://www.gamestop....nav=1386-c4-17e

unless they do a % off per price bracket, like $10 off every $50. i guess that could be the way they price stuff? i dont know, ive never worked there. i guess it could be $30 or so off. its possible i guess... still kind of think $149.99 for some reason though lol.

#1127 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

Does anyone know if the Amazon pre order 3ds will have a release day guarantee for Prime members?

#1128 joestar3   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   22 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

joestar3

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:55 PM

Just got back from my Best Buy. I asked about the 30 day price guarantee policy and he said it would be no problem. He even mentioned that he, as well as four of his other associates purchased a 3DS the day the price drop was announced to take part in this.

Hahahaha, nice one :).

I asked at several Fry's stores in the DFW area, and they said the same. Whether that comes to pass is yet to be seen.

#1129 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   12290 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:45 AM

id be surprised if they went lower then $149.99
i mean, on their website the used (refurb) ds's go for

$69.99 for the ds
$79.99 for the ds lite
$119.99 for the dsi
and these are really old systems and at the most a $30 discount... so i would say a $30-$40 drop right out the gate is most likely unrealistic
http://www.gamestop....nav=1386-c4-17e

unless they do a % off per price bracket, like $10 off every $50. i guess that could be the way they price stuff? i dont know, ive never worked there. i guess it could be $30 or so off. its possible i guess... still kind of think $149.99 for some reason though lol.

It better not be 149.99 or ill flip out. I wonder now much will the other ds's will drop after the 12'th though

#1130 xbox_mole   WiiPS360 CAGiversary!   1656 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

I plan on doing this as well. Make sure to grab a copy of the price adjustment policy on the day that you buy the 3DS. If nothing in there excludes gaming consoles then they really don't have a leg to stand on and try to back peddle later. BestBuy has a really great of community members from the Home Office that work on twitter to address customer concerns. They've always handled any concerns I've had quickly and to my satisfacton. Just remember that if you use a credit card and you don't get anywhere with available support options, as a last resort you'd have all the paper work and proof required to file a charge dispute with the issuer for the amount of the price difference.

edit: I've also reached out to my contact at BestBuy from the Community Connector team and just received an email back. I was told without a doubt BestBuy WILL honor their price adjustment policy for 3DS that have been purchased before 8/12 as long as you follow the requirements of their Price Adjustment policy by returning to the store with the reciept during the return and exchange period.

#1131 Sharkey1337   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1038 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Sharkey1337

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

Just to make sure, when I do the price match policy at Best Buy, do they give you a gift card of the difference or actually give you money back?

#1132 FairyLeviathan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

FairyLeviathan

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

^ win. Green light for me grabbing one on monday then :3 Now if only my Peach dsi cover would fit it....

Thanks for the confirms guys and gals, definitely a purchase worth making now =D

#1133 elsnerma   Bowies in Space CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

Just to make sure, when I do the price match policy at Best Buy, do they give you a gift card of the difference or actually give you money back?

They refund it in whatever manner you paid for it, so if you paid cash you'd get it in cash. If you charged it, they'd put it back on the card.

#1134 Sharkey1337   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1038 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Sharkey1337

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:24 AM

They refund it in whatever manner you paid for it, so if you paid cash you'd get it in cash. If you charged it, they'd put it back on the card.

SWEET, thanks for the answer!

#1135 apathylad   NeoCAG CAGiversary!   667 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:23 AM

After much debate, I bought the 3DS today at Best Buy. I talked to several employees (one of who I know personally for many years), and they all said it would be fine to bring the receipt during the price drop and be refunded the difference.

#1136 mariosbrother   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   48 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

mariosbrother

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:59 AM

Anybody with inside connections know if there is a planned SKU change along with the price drop? i.e. such a change that would prevent a price match?

#1137 ravens52bears54   Thin Blue Line CAGiversary!   1432 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

ravens52bears54

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

Anybody with inside connections know if there is a planned SKU change along with the price drop? i.e. such a change that would prevent a price match?

You are way paranoid bro.

I do have a few questions of my own, regarding Best Buy policies. So I noticed I had a RZ coupon that would've given me a $25 gift card with my purchase. Could I go back and basically do a return and repurchase to get the card? Do they include the gift card in the price of one of the items, ie the 3DS? Because I was obviously planning to go back again and get my refund at the price drop and it would be less worth it if they only gave me $55.

#1138 Kadin   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

What you have to remember is that even IF there is a new SKU, the existing models are still plentiful out there in most stores and those would also drop in price so as long as you're there pretty soon after the price drops, I can't see it being an issue.

But honestly, I think we'd have some indication pointing to a change in SKU by now if there was one.

#1139 outcast529   <3 CAGiversary!   187 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:56 AM

I do have a few questions of my own, regarding Best Buy policies. So I noticed I had a RZ coupon that would've given me a $25 gift card with my purchase. Could I go back and basically do a return and repurchase to get the card? Do they include the gift card in the price of one of the items, ie the 3DS? Because I was obviously planning to go back again and get my refund at the price drop and it would be less worth it if they only gave me $55.

I'm pretty sure if you read all the details on the back of the coupon it will exclude video game hardware. Best Buy coupons always do..

#1140 xRemnant   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   332 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

xRemnant

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:07 AM

I think I remember someone asking this question but not getting an answer. I will ask it again, and if someone did answer and I missed it, sorry!

I have 90 dollar in store credit. if I pay for the 3DS with the 90 store credit and remainder in cash. When I go to do the price adjustment, will they pay me back in cash or store credit?