Your Top 5 Android Apps

rockalittle00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
Ok, here's the deal.
Post your top 5 apps in one post with brief description of each. (really brief)
After we get some responses in place I'll update post 2 with the the TOP 5 apps according to CAG's and links to the downloads if possible.

My Top 5:

1. Google Maps - maps, and real time navigation FREE

2. Car Widget - Highly customizable screen for use in car.

3. Extensive Notes - Insane amount of features.

4. Vlingo - do almost everything via voice command

5. Pandora - for hearing new music Slacker great too

1. Google Maps - Does all the work of a $300+ GPS and is even better at times.
2. Amazon App Store - Offers a free paid app everyday. While a lot of them are pretty useless, you find some good ones now and then.
3. SeekDroid - If you ever lose your phone, you can track it on the computer from their website. Also allows you to remotely wipe your phone/sd card if stolen.
4. Swiftkey X - Has saved me many keystrokes by predicting my words.
5. Netflix - While not working with all Android phones yet, allows you to watch any Netflix Instant Stream TV show/movie on your phone, in HD when available. Good for long commutes.

The only non-standard app I use is Amazon Appstore. They give away a free paid app a day. I used to use Netflix (i.e. allows you to stream; not everyone can get it) prior to cancelling today.

I mainly use the applications on my phone to check email (gmail), browse the net (standard browser), play a few games (see below), and use it as a gps (google maps).

Gamewise
- Angry Birds, Seasons, Rio
- Plants vs Zombies
- Peggle
- Words with Friends

1. Google Maps
2. Dolphin HD browser
3. Weatherbug Elite
4. Swype
5. Amazon App Store

Here's my 5 (+1 for good measure) in no particular order.

Switftkey X: Swype started annoying me a couple months in. Switched to SwittKey; SwiftKey X is just better.

TuneIn Radio: I don't have a car, so it's nice to still listen to the radio. And it saves me from having to buy ESPN Radio app.

Springpad: I use it for everything. Keeping track of movies I wanna see, blu-rays I wanna buy, video games I wanna get. You can add tasks, notes, recipes, scan products. It's a chaotically organized system of stickies. And also a decent companion to the desktop version. I think the app plays off well with the way I remember things.

Dolphin Browser HD: So good.

Fancy Widget Pro: I like the way it looks. Has customizable backgrounds and weather skins. Can link to 3 other apps by just touching different areas of the widget.

GO Launcher EX: I didn't like TouchWiz, and Launcher Pro was too plain to me. Go Launcher is constantly updated, includes a lot of cool options, allows you to customize app drawer, and has a lot of free themes. They've gotten better about speed and memory issues, and they are constantly adding improvements.

I'd also like to add Dazzle to the list. I like being able to just go to my home screen to change the ringer, turn wifi on or off, and change the brightness of my screen.

I thought their was a thread on must have apps. The ones I use are:

Apps2SD Free; Not much room on an EVO 4G so being able to know what app can be moved when I download it and then move it is nice.

Gun Bros; Shooting game that can now be played in co-op with friends on Facebook.

Zedge; For all my backgrounds, notifications and ring tones.

Volume Control +; Gives quick access to my volume settings and lets me see what they are all set to with a widget.

If you don't want to pay for seekdroid then if your phone is lost or stolen then check out plan b. You download it after your phone is lost or stolen. You get updates by email as to a location and it will start your GPS after you install it. All you need to do is get on the market place on a computer.

EDIT: I also use Pulse for different news sites.

I can't think of any other apps that have not been listed by others that are free apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bustamante that wireless tether app, is it something you are paying extra for or are you rooted?

Dolphin Browser HD

GOSMS pro - I actually like chomp a lot too but I just cant use the stock texting app at all after this

Winamp + last.fm scrobbling enabled - with scrobbling this is one of my favorite media players for the android. It has everything I want, from shoutcast support to play lists that you can make from the app. It just feels so refined and so sleek compared to other music apps. Also, the widget for it is great. My only complaint is lack of .FLAC support. However, on 16gb of memory Ill get over it

Youtube

Google Maps/ Navigation

This is an old thread but let me show off my favorite android apps :) It might be helpful to some CAG's.

Audio Manager
Facebook
Angry Bird
Android Assistant
AirDroid

1. Twitter
2. Bing
3. Voxer
4. Bejeweld 2
5. Angry Birds

What's CAG's favorite Music app? Songbird is being crap.

No particular order:

Tweetcaster - best Twitter app I've seen, continually improving
Netflix - Interface could use a little bit of improvement, but holy shit Netflix streaming on a phone
Ringo Lite - Lets me assign individual ringers for both calls and texts to people.
Dolphin Browser HD - Best browser I've seen for this platform
Youtube - Duh

Honorable mentions for things I don't use as often but still love having: MODO Computer Music Player (lets you play NES/Genesis/SNES/etc music files) & Scanner Radio Pro (police/fire scanner).

Alarm clock Extreme (paid, Amazon free app of the day) - No brainer buy, I use A LOT of alarms and this fit my needs of unlimited amount of alarms, also has a timer which shows actual end time.

Tune In Pro - Great streaming radio app, can record too.

Folder Organizer (paid, Amazon free app of the day) - No brainer buy, organizer that makes it easy to organize my apps.

MX Player - All in one player for all my video needs

Sensor Music Player - Stupid easy music player. I hate stupid iTunes style tags, this goes by folders and filenames.

Honorable Mention:

Plague Inc. (free, pay for some added features) - Absolutely addicting

Last edited by a moderator:
Not listing Chrome, and Google Maps, Google Locals, and Gmail, as they are pre-installed.

Apps
1. doubletwist
2. kik
3. Reader HD
4. Evernote (actually I just use the HTC sense front end for it)
5. Twitter

Games: Of the 100's I have tried, ShadowGun and Max Payne have been the best. Using the PS3 controller with those games have made me forget my Vita envy.

Not listing standard apps like netflix, you tube, etc... In no order.

Tune In Radio Pro- If it has an internet radio feed, you can probably find it here.

Jango- I hate Pandora because when I create a station they play 5 songs from one genre, then 5 songs from another, there is no variety. Jango fixes this and offers a great selection of music with a great sense of variety. Plus I get to select how often my stations new music to discover.

osu!droid- It's Elite Beat Agents or the Japanese equivalent OSU! for Android with all user created levels, and it's 100% free.

Simple Last.fm Scrobbler- I use last.fm and this allows me to use most media players and scrobble songs on Android.

MX Player- I use this to watch videos, I am sure there are better solutions out there but the free version works awesome.

In no particular order

1- Sirius Satellite Radio: Requires a monthly sub, but I'm a huge Stern fan.
2- Tune In Radio - has everything. I have the Pro version which adds recording. Thanks Amazin FAotD!
3- Song Pop - highly addictive 'Name that Tune' game.
4- Word Hero - Boggle style word finding game. It's massively multiplayer to boot.
5- Solitaire - I play only FREECELL, which is the best single player card game ever.

I primarily use my phone for music and games. All other functions are secondary.

BSPlayer - Not sure what I'd do without this. I'm constantly watching movies on my Nexus 7, so this is a must have for me.

XiiaLive - Great radio streaming service and also allows you to stream content from certain satellite radio companies that you may or may not be subscribed to.

Tapatalk - Only way to browse forums from a mobile device.

SuperGNES - SNES games on the go? Yes please.

Dogg Catcher - Best Android program for downloading podcasts. Use it daily.

Here's an updated list from me, this time not for my phone but what I'm using on my Nexus 7. Aside from Youtube and Tweetcaster I don't use anything on that prior list on my tablet anyway.

Sportscaster Pro - Widget is still a little glitchy and initial setup can be a little confusing, but once that's out of the way it's an excellent way to keep track of the teams I want to keep track of. Good for score checking as well.

Perfect Viewer - Best app for reading comics. Interesting interface that I have grown to like a lot. Tons of options.

Flipboard - Don't know how this thing eluded me for so long, but this is the best I've seen for keeping up on blog/news feeds.

Tango - I hate that Skype is more popular than this. Wish more people used it. Definitely my favorite app for free voice calls & video calls. Also now supports texting. No charges for any calls or messaging whatsoever. If they get around to adding multiple person video calls, this is going to be unbeatable.

Tablet Talk (paid app) - Lets you set it up so you can send and receive your phone texts via tablet. Great for when I'm charging my phone and have my tablet nearby.

Honorable mention to Firefox Beta + Flash Player - brings back Flash functionality to Android after 4.1 officially dropped it. Using MoboPlayer as my video player and it works well. The Humble Bundle app (still in beta) is quite handy for when they do Android-based bundles. Lets you download your purchased stuff from the app.

Necro post!

On a HTC Aria with Cyanogen mod 7.2 (Tiny screen, overclocked CPU to 806 MHz)

1. Google Maps (its a freaking GPS for car, bike, walking or public transit!)
2. Netflix
3. Youtube
4. SeekDroid
5. google music player (only since I got a few tracks uploaded to the cloud)

Don’t rush the process. The antidepressant tapering process may take up to several months, and should only be attempted under a doctor's supervision. Be patient. If, at any time, you experience difficulties, consider spending more time at your current dose before attempting any further reductions.© 1999-2012 Demand Media, Inc.Family history of or recent exposure to suicide

[quote name='CarambaZ']Don’t rush the process. The antidepressant tapering process may take up to several months, and should only be attempted under a doctor's supervision. Be patient. If, at any time, you experience difficulties, consider spending more time at your current dose before attempting any further reductions.© 1999-2012 Demand Media, Inc.Family history of or recent exposure to suicide[/QUOTE]

I prefer the BetaBlocker app myself.

1. WhatsApp (no cell signal at the courthouse, WhatsApp is the only wifi sms app I find reliable)
2. Catch (once upon a time known as 3banana for some reason. i originally downloaded it because i liked that name. it's invaluable.)
3. Drudge and BBC
4. whatever Cheezburger/lols/ragecomics apps happen to be functioning at the moment
5. MyDays (lady cycle tracker and pill taker reminder)

1. swiftkey keyboard (best keyboard ever, once you go swiftkey you'll never go back. Has swype technology)
2. clockwork mod + titanium backup (backup all you data, essential if you want to install a custom rom)
3. google music (can upload all your music and listen to it at any time)
4. myfitnesspal (calorie counter)
5. tunein radio (has every radio station)

bread's done
Back