Recommend me an Air Mattress

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I need to buy one of these things - anyone have any recommendations or good experiences? I don't need to go cheap but I don't want to go crazy either (under $100). I'm looking for a Twin size - Amazon has a ton but it's hard to tell what's good and what sucks...

We picked up a couple Eddie Bauer twin ones at Target on heavy clearance several years ago and they've been fine. I'd bet a lot of the brands are probably made by Intex - just a guess though. Just normal thickness with the flocked top. Ours came with battery operated inflate/deflate pumps (4 D cells) and they work great. We put two twins together and a king sheet set on it when camping. I've also used one on a couple of occasions as just a twin with twin sheets and no real complaints. You might watch at Target if you have one close by for end of season clearances that might be coming up soon.

Also - not sure if you ever check Amazon warehouse deals but they sometimes have some surprisingly good prices on stuff that in my experience is brand new and unused but may have been opened or the package damaged. I've ordered probably a dozen things from their warehouse deals (actually no video games though...) and have had an excellent experience with everything being brand new. I know with an inflatable thing you might worry about puncture though but just thought I'd mention it.

What exactly are you using it for. Guests or..? I ask because my family has gone through about 20 of them over the years and it doesn't matter if you buy a nice one or a shitty one, they don't generally hold up very well at all. Even with proper storage and reasonable use (no kids jumping on them, not in excess of weight recommendations), they end up leaking. They can be patched but more leaks always seem to develop.

Depending on your use, I would look into other options. If you're staying somewhere, maybe get a nice sleeping bag and a roll up pad. If you're getting it for guests, look for a cheap real bed or a pull out futon.

Edit: Forgot about camping... I take a 90" ski-tube :D. We got a new one for our boat, so I kept the old one for camping. Those things are much more durable than air mattresses. My friends laughed at me at first, but after they realized I never have to patch it because the tube never leaks or gets punctured, they all bought them after summer on clearance. Stuff a pillow down in the hole and it's really damn comfortable. Not exactly a space efficient way to go, but I have a big ass tent so I didn't really care.

The brand escapes me but when I went camping with some friends my gf brought a mattress that was half air half water. Air went into a lower pocket and you slept on top of the water layer. It was pretty comfortable and I think it was only 49 bucks. I'll work on getting the name.

[quote name='dohdough']I recommend you don't get any and get some cots instead.[/QUOTE]

I second this, they're more comfortable and much more sturdy. It's easier to store air mattresses though.

[quote name='dohdough']Comedy option: Put them up in a nice hotel you cheap fucker. We all know you gotz da loot!:D[/QUOTE]

I would but it is for me to sleep on. My parents just bought a new house with twin beds in a room for my entire family if we stay with them so I was thinking of throwing a twin on the floor for myself or maybe the kids..

I'll look into some of the suggestions here - also a cot sounds awesome but I might need to cram myself and a kid on it so an air mattress might be better... I don't know.

Are there better quality air mattresses? Screw that. Just get any old cheap one and use it as it seems it's only temporary. I got a full size one for camping that was like 30-40. It also transforms to a couch if/when I need it.

Yeah, they never seem to last very long, so I'd just get a cheap one. That said, the cheap $20 or so Coleman twin one I have now has been good for 3 years or so (*knocks on wood*).

A cot or futon is better if you have room for it, but that doesn't make sense for your use of taking it to your parents occasionally. I don't have room for that kind of stuff in my small condo, so an air mattress is ideal for me as well to have something for the few times a year someone stays over.

We got a nice twin from Costco. It's a twin but it's like two twins stacked atop each other. It plugs into the wall and inflates quickly. We've had it for nearly 4 years. It has a small leak requiring you to just re-inflate it slightly each night. Parents sleep on it just for their semi-annual visits.

my coleman air mattress has held up well for guests when they stay over, I've had it for several years. It's queen sized - sits about the height of a regular bed.

[quote name='Javery']I would but it is for me to sleep on. My parents just bought a new house with twin beds in a room for my entire family if we stay with them so I was thinking of throwing a twin on the floor for myself or maybe the kids..

I'll look into some of the suggestions here - also a cot sounds awesome but I might need to cram myself and a kid on it so an air mattress might be better... I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Do you have really broad shoulders or something, reading about the cot? Or are you pretty tall?

[quote name='Sethra']my coleman air mattress has held up well for guests when they stay over, I've had it for several years. It's queen sized - sits about the height of a regular bed.[/QUOTE]

Those have been a mixed bag for me. Had a few queen size ones that didn't last more than 2-3 years of very infrequent use before they sprung leaks.

But I have a twin one that I've had for a few years now that's still going strong.

Costco. Not because the air mattresses are great, but they are decently priced, and then when they get a leak every 6 months, Costco's excellent customer support will replace it for you. We've gone through 3 in 18 months. On the first, kids were probably being too rough with it, but the second time around, we took good care, didn't have fatties sleeping on it, and kids didn't play around on it, and that leaked too.

If you can be talked out of an air mattress though, a nice foam pad and a decent sleeping bag are superior IMO.

bread's done
Back