No power at all to PS3

qwertyaas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I had my 80GB PS3 since early 2008. Never any issues with it. I have barely used it for the last few months. Today when trying to turn it on, it was just dead. No red light. No yellow light. No power at all is going to the PS3.

Dead PSU?
Mobo issue?

I opened it up to make sure the connections are all fine (which they seem to be). It's not dusty in there either.

I'm considering buying a PS3 PSU on Ebay or just buying a new PS3 (which I prefer not to have to do...).

Ideas?

I don't know what's wrong but I would honestly just get a new ps3. I traded in my old phat a while ago for a slim and I am very happy that I did. It is quieter and runs cooler.

[quote name='Neoreloaded313']I would check the wall plug to make sure it has power and try a different power cord before spending any money.[/QUOTE]

Tried a couple different plugs and outlets.

[quote name='dmdragon']I don't know what's wrong but I would honestly just get a new ps3. I traded in my old phat a while ago for a slim and I am very happy that I did. It is quieter and runs cooler.[/QUOTE]

I;'m thinking of doing that. Can I still pop in my 80GB drive to get everything off of it in the slims?

you may just need a new power source dealy for your ps3. ive heard of those dying out before. you could also try replacing the ps3 power cord.

[quote name='Neoreloaded313']If you put your hard drive into another PS3 it will ask you to reformat. Can only retrieve info on the original PS3.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that... sucks. Is there any way to get the data off prior to a format?

[quote name='lokizz']you may just need a new power source dealy for your ps3. ive heard of those dying out before. you could also try replacing the ps3 power cord.[/QUOTE]

Not the chord. Many say this problem was solved by swapping out the PSU. Some, it didn't work for.

If it's not the power cable I can recommend a good and inexpensive service. I see that you are located in NY, so you can try contacting Sam from Tekniqo.com I had YLOD few months ago and he fixed it for $60 with a 2 months o f warranty. He is working from home but I can definitely recommend him. He sensually gets the job done in 24h. Hope this helps. Good luck.

On my old 60gb no lights at all meant the PSU died.

See if you have a console repair shop in your area, see if they can diagnose it IN FRONT OF YOU (can't emphasize that enough) and then you'll know. They'll probably charge you though, but maybe their PSU prices are reasonable.

I think I'll try buying an OEM PSU off of Ebay (~$20) and switch it out. If it's the power switch, then that might be more of an issue as I have no idea how to swap that.

[quote name='qwertyaas']I think I'll try buying an OEM PSU off of Ebay (~$20) and switch it out. If it's the power switch, then that might be more of an issue as I have no idea how to swap that.[/QUOTE]
if you mean the power switch in the back of the 80gb ps3 its not hard to switch out same for the psu.

[quote name='szeryf']If it's not the power cable I can recommend a good and inexpensive service. I see that you are located in NY, so you can try contacting Sam from Tekniqo.com I had YLOD few months ago and he fixed it for $60 with a 2 months o f warranty. He is working from home but I can definitely recommend him. He sensually gets the job done in 24h. Hope this helps. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

$60 is a terrific price for sensual service!

[quote name='lokizz']if you mean the power switch in the back of the 80gb ps3 its not hard to switch out same for the psu.[/QUOTE]

Ya I mean the power switch. I'm going to pick up the PSU off of Ebay tonight. Maybe I should get a power switch too just in case?

Edit: Oh I see, I found the switch too. It's only like $3. Going to pick that up and the PSU. Hoping that will work! Simply enough, just the ground and 2 pin header. Thinking if I should get the switch first (although chances are it's the PSU as I left the PS3 on standby always... over 3 years of standby ;)).

be sure to check out some of the youtube ps3 fix videos if youve never opened yours up. once youve done it a few times its easy to do. and keep track of the screws and where they go as you take them out.

[quote name='lokizz']be sure to check out some of the youtube ps3 fix videos if youve never opened yours up. once youve done it a few times its easy to do. and keep track of the screws and where they go as you take them out.[/QUOTE]

Opening was easy ;) Closing it was a pain with the latches.

Just won a PSU for $1.01 with $5 shipping :D

[quote name='lokizz']damn thats a good freakin deal lol hope it works out for you.[/QUOTE]

Hoping it works (the PSU that is) and I'm not getting a bum PSU.

Thanks though! Hope it does too!

Edit: The seller cancelled the auction. Claims the PSU is broken now... Probably didn't like that I won it for $1...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='qwertyaas']Hoping it works (the PSU that is) and I'm not getting a bum PSU.

Thanks though! Hope it does too!

Edit: The seller cancelled the auction. Claims the PSU is broken now... Probably didn't like that I won it for $1...[/QUOTE]

Too bad ebay is all messed up now. That should be a negative review - especially so once the person puts it up again. If the clown didn't want it to sell for that price, then they should've put up a reserve or started the bidding higher.

Best of luck to you in finding another power supply.

[quote name='jmbreci']Too bad ebay is all messed up now. That should be a negative review - especially so once the person puts it up again. If the clown didn't want it to sell for that price, then they should've put up a reserve or started the bidding higher.

Best of luck to you in finding another power supply.[/QUOTE]

Seriously... I think he already put it up again on another name. Same exact description. He didn't even refund me the money when sending the cancellation notice - probably wanting me to accept and try to stiff me out of the shipping $.

I'll probably just go for a Buy it Now for ~$20. I'll try to find a newer PSU (the newer silver ones for the FAT PS3).

if you cant find one let me know i may have some parts left over from when i first started repairing my old 80gb so ill just give it to you since i have no use for it.

Thanks lokizz. Sent you an email.

The guy cancelled the auction, and now won't refund the money (price + shipping). Ebay makes me wait a week before I can open a dispute. Seriously, if you don't want to sell something below a certain dollar amount, put a reserve...

If you have a multimeter or know someone who does you can rule out the switch taking a resistance check on it to prove it good or not.

Still figuring its your PSU but just throwing that out there.

Just got a replacement PSU. It arrived wet... The bubble wrap was wet as was the outside of the PSU :bomb:

I'm going to leave it out to dry until tomorrow and hopefully it'll be good to go.

[quote name='qwertyaas']Just got a replacement PSU. It arrived wet... The bubble wrap was wet as was the outside of the PSU :bomb:

I'm going to leave it out to dry until tomorrow and hopefully it'll be good to go.[/QUOTE]

lol wet?? that sucks, some luck you're having lately. :p

Keep us updated and let us know if that PSU fixed your ps3. I too have a fat 80gb ps3 and I'm worried one day I will have the same problem...and I have absolutely no plans on ever upgrading to a slim ps3, I want my fat backwards compatible to work f..o..r..e..v..e..r!

Speaking of trying to get my Fat to last, is it easy to take apart and clean out the dust? I think it's definitely due for internal cleaning...

[quote name='Kyoz']lol wet?? that sucks, some luck you're having lately. :p

Keep us updated and let us know if that PSU fixed your ps3. I too have a fat 80gb ps3 and I'm worried one day I will have the same problem...and I have absolutely no plans on ever upgrading to a slim ps3, I want my fat backwards compatible to work f..o..r..e..v..e..r!

Speaking of trying to get my Fat to last, is it easy to take apart and clean out the dust? I think it's definitely due for internal cleaning...[/QUOTE]

Same here, that and the fat PS3 look so much better.

It wasn't soaked but definitively a bit of condensation. I sat with a hair dryer on cool for a few minutes and now left it by a fan for a couple hours. I'll leave it by the fan until later tonight and then try it out. It should be fine as long as it completely dried out.

As for taking it apart, if you have a torq key ( for the star shaped screw) it's easy. The only part that gave me problems was taking the main cover off as those were latched in. But other than that, was very simple and there were a lot of guides out there if you need. Then again, I didn't go all the way in to the motherboard as I didn't need to change anything there.

Update:

Left the PSU to dry yesterday and last night in front of a fan. Put it in this morning and PS3 working good as new!

I also ended up getting the better PSU while I was buying as mine was the original one that apparently failed... a lot.

bread's done
Back