Will Newegg waive their restocking fee for returns?

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I'm building a new computer and saw this graphics card (EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1367-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB) as a Shell Shocker deal last night and bought it on an impulse since $110 after rebates seemed like a good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130597

However, I'm having second thoughts on keeping it since there are better options for not much more. Such as this one: SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

Unfortunately, Newegg charges a 15% restocking fee for returns. I've searched but most things I've found were from a few years ago when their policy said "may be subject to a 15% restocking fee."

I was wondering if anyone would know if they do waive their restocking fee nowadays since their policy omits the "may" and just says: All returns for a refund are subject to a 15% restocking fee.

If they don't, the other option would be refusing the package from UPS. I'd need to know the details on how to do that and if I'd receive a full refund form Newegg, though it sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Is it open? If it hasn't been opened yet, you should be okay on the restocking fee. Normally restocking fees are for opened packages that are being returned, since they can't (or at least shouldn't) resell it as new, so they make you pay for the difference of the mark down. I'd just call them up to be honest and ask them when they're CS is open tomorrow.

I haven't even received it yet (likely will arrive tomorrow). When you say open, do you mean the package it wash shipped in or the item itself (I'm assuming the latter)? My first try would be the legit way since they have good reason to keep me a happy customer.

[quote name='icedrake523']I haven't even received it yet (likely will arrive tomorrow). When you say open, do you mean the package it wash shipped in or the item itself (I'm assuming the latter)? My first try would be the legit way since they have good reason to keep me a happy customer.[/QUOTE]

Basically if the shrinkwrap/factory wrap/seal has been removed, that will count as open. As long as you don't open the box of the item, it shouldn't be a problem. Opening the shipping box it comes in isn't a huge deal since you haven't actually opened the item.

I think Squarehard got it right. They won't/shouldn't hit you with the restocking fee if you simply return the item unopened (shrinkwrap still on).

I called CS and spoke to a representative. He waived the fee for me, just have to pay return shipping myself. He had asked if it was open, I said no (didn't even open the package) so it seems like Newegg will waive the fee if the item is unopened. I didn't mention I wanted to order the video card I want since I just noticed it's cheaper on Amazon.

Thanks for the help, Squarehead and Rig.

Normally, NewEgg will stick you with the restocking fee for any non-defective returns, though they normally don't hit you with it if you're buying something else to replace the returned item.

I've had a handful of returns I've had to do with NewEgg and every single one of them was due for a restocking fee and the CS rep waived it from over the phone or via chat.

bread's done
Back