- - - - -

Anyone watch Storage Wars???

#1 shadyfozzie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   854 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadyfozzie

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

I was watching last night's episode (from August 10th) and the guy finds an old NES system (He called it an NES DS lol). The system was pretty beat up and looked like it had black paint all over it.

Anyway, he says he hopes it is a 001 looks and it's a model 001 and he said the last time he saw online with 5 games for $13,000.

Is this true, or is this complete BS?

You can see the video below (Fast forward to around the 15 minute mark to where he finds it)

http://www.aetv.com/...d=1096045289001

Edited by shadyfozzie, 12 August 2011 - 02:11 AM.
added video

#2 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

This I have to see.

#3 shadyfozzie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   854 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadyfozzie

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:12 AM

added link to video

#4 FiendCameron   xGrindxMoshx CAGiversary!   440 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

FiendCameron

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:18 AM

living in So Cal, it's kinda funny cause I pass Dave Hesters place all the time on the way to the beach. i really want to throw eggs one time at his store...

#5 clonesniper666   Final Fantasy Fanatic CAGiversary!   2663 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

clonesniper666

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:19 AM

No they are not most NES system go for around I think maybe $50 still, I myself got a 001 model from the action set that was complete with box, controllers, and the game that came with it. If you get a toploader model NES they are worth more I don't know the exact value since I have never seen one.

#6 Newty   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   50 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:19 AM

He's out of his mind. I just bought a nes-001 with 10 games at the flea market over the weekend for $20.
Although I could be wrong.

#7 shadyfozzie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   854 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadyfozzie

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

it turns out that they can for for that much, but it has to be a special circumstance, like sealed or a prototype or come with stadium events..

Hey Fiend, ever go in the store?

#8 djbooba   Superficial Hitman CAGiversary!   1367 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:23 AM

At the end of the episode, you find out that the system is worth $10.

#9 lukewin   UNC Class of '03 CAGiversary!   559 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

It's true, that a Nintendo sold for $13,000, but not because it was an 001, but because the bundle had a rare game in it. That guy is a freakin' idiot. http://boingboing.ne...do-nes-sys.html

#10 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9854 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:29 AM

LMAO, Fast-Forward toward the end you see the Fuck head get teary eyed when the guy values it at $10. Darrell, went along to rub it in his face, ROFL.

I know the area that auction was at, it was on Highland between Del Rosa & Sterling and that area is a shit hole. Since were talking about shows, Bait Car happened to film in the same area just to show how shitty of an area that is.

Hi, FiendCameron good to see a local =)

#11 VANDALHEART   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   272 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

VANDALHEART

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:47 AM

Is this true, or is this complete BS?

All of those "shows" are BS.

#12 Survivalism   CAG's Lance Boyle CAGiversary!   3125 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Survivalism

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:09 AM

It's true, that a Nintendo sold for $13,000, but not because it was an 001, but because the bundle had a rare game in it. That guy is a freakin' idiot. http://boingboing.ne...do-nes-sys.html

I don't even have to click the link to know it's Stadium Events. I knew it as soon as I heard "$13,000." Dave Hester is a massive tool. The only reason he opened a thrift store was because he got a DUI and did his community service through Goodwill.

#13 DuelLadyS   Basch Lives! CAGiversary!   2641 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:21 PM

I watched through that just becuase I once threw out a broken black-paint covered NES, and I was half-curious to see if someone had yanked it out of the trash and it ended up down there. (Not the case. Not surprised.)

Shame they told him how much it was worth, maybe I could've got him to buy my spare system for 10 grand. :bouncy:

#14 iiinightmar3ii   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1507 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

iiinightmar3ii

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

I've watched a few episodes of this show and the prices they give for this stuff is almost always bullshit. Some of the stuff I have no idea the value of like art, but when they show stuff on the show that I do know the value of it is always off. I remember there was an episode where one of the guys finds a super nintendo and he says it's worth $150. Yea good luck with that buddy. These shows are a joke.

#15 Miranda   about.me/adnarim CAGiversary!   1654 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, I saw that episode too and was lmao when he thought he could get $13k for that NES that was obviously in crappy condition. I figured the one he saw online must have been bundled with something like Stadium Events. It was funny to watch his reaction when the guy told him the value of it.

#16 SEH   Paul's sister is an alien CAGiversary!   4037 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

That guy is a complete douche. I've watched that show a few times and the guy just throws around money because he can. He pays WAY too much for every unit he buys. I'm surprised he hardly ever makes money. I saw the Nintendo episode and couldn't help but laugh.

#17 H4Y4TO   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1098 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

Been watching it for awhile... Its a great show...

#18 Xiaan   omelette du fromage CAGiversary!   74 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

I wouldn't call the shows jokes, but the people certainly are. That guy really needs a reality check. The way his face appeared to light up when he found that NES shows how absolute of a moron he is. Even valuing that NES at $10 was way to generous.

#19 karkyco   $$$ CAGiversary!   6801 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

LOL, what an idiot. I'm surprised ANY of the guys on these shows even go to storage auctions anymore, as I'd expect most of their competitors now to push their prices way up. Of course, that's assuming there's any 'reality' to any of these shows, which is highly doubtful.

#20 Indigo_Streetlight   East Coast Scum CAGiversary!   3551 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Indigo_Streetlight

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

I wouldn't call the shows jokes, but the people certainly are. That guy really needs a reality check. The way his face appeared to light up when he found that NES shows how absolute of a moron he is. Even valuing that NES at $10 was way to generous.

With the styrofoam and baggies the store owner might be able to make a CIB; if the system wasn't all dirt-tastic it would've gone nice with the empty box in my basement.

#21 dinovelvet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3597 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

dinovelvet

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:39 AM

LOL. The 13 grand was for Stadium Events, it just happened to come with a NES, that the buyer probably threw in the trash. WTF has 001 got to do with anything? The guy is clueless. He once heard that one NES went for 13K, and assumes that's the going rate without doing any research into it.

The other show - Auction Hunters is it? had one of the guys find an Atari 2600 in a locker and he said it was worth $250. LMAO. I knew right then that all of these 'great finds' they have every week were probably just as suspect. I mean I'm sure they find something genuinely valuable every once in a while, but most of it really is rubbish.
There's something kind of icky about the whole thing - basically these plunderers are poring over other people's possessions, people who either died or fell on hard times and couldn't pay their bills.

#22 Daw19yoyo   CAG Player Extraordinare CAGiversary!   748 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:05 AM

You have got to remember that is how they make money. Look at Jerrid and Brandy. That is their job. That is how they, and Dave, get some inventory for their thrift shops.

#23 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

You know what's funny? I absolutely abhor reality tv garbage, yet I watch this contrived/staged crap almost every time I see it's on.

You have to wonder how many crappy units the 'stars' of these shows go through before they find that one unit that has 1-2 decent items in it.

But again, I feel that these shows are so fake/staged, yet it's like a car accident and you can't look away once you start watching it.

#24 Survivalism   CAG's Lance Boyle CAGiversary!   3125 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Survivalism

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:03 AM

Plus Brandi's kind of cute.

The other show - Auction Hunters is it? had one of the guys find an Atari 2600 in a locker and he said it was worth $250. LMAO. I knew right then that all of these 'great finds' they have every week were probably just as suspect. I mean I'm sure they find something genuinely valuable every once in a while, but most of it really is rubbish.
There's something kind of icky about the whole thing - basically these plunderers are poring over other people's possessions, people who either died or fell on hard times and couldn't pay their bills.

Dumbass Corey on Pawn Stars bought a 2600 off a guy for a hundred bucks. (I love shows about junk. I have no life.) But storage auctions are nothing new. These ones are spiced up a bit for TV but that's just how those facilities work. I'd hate to be the guy who had the locker in which they found a thousand in cash.

You have to wonder how many crappy units the 'stars' of these shows go through before they find that one unit that has 1-2 decent items in it.

Certainly more crap than not. SoCal/Vegas is probably a great area to be a picker, though. I'd love to try it sometime but around here all I'd get is dead hookers and things with rebel flags all over them.

#25 Bumslie   Have you ever seen the Boognish? CAGiversary!   5752 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:18 AM

You know what's funny? I absolutely abhor reality tv garbage, yet I watch this contrived/staged crap almost every time I see it's on.

But again, I feel that these shows are so fake/staged, yet it's like a car accident and you can't look away once you start watching it.

There was this episode were they showed stuff the found over the years. The Gambler Darrell showed some Picasso's he found. The crown was 1 of the 5 biggest comic book collections ever found. He got it dirt cheap under $10K and sold them for over $150,000 back in the day. He said, "If I kept them it would have been over a million dollars worth of books." There were all the classic even Amazing Fantasy #15 "1st Appearance of Spiderman" & X-Men #1, etc.

I bet they find lots of crap but the picture of the comic book find was just CRAZY!

Edited by Bumslie, 13 August 2011 - 04:39 AM.

#26 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9854 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:23 AM

I won't say they don't come up on things but I will say they do overvalue a lot of the crap they find. It might be a way to get other people to come out and do this kind of thing.

#27 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

I won't say they don't come up on things but I will say they do overvalue a lot of the crap they find. It might be a way to get other people to come out and do this kind of thing.

If so it's working, but why in the holy name of crap would they want that?

#28 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9854 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:43 AM

If so it's working, but why in the holy name of crap would they want that?

I guess the same reason people pay a crap lode and DLC code. I just tend to laugh at it instead of trying to figure it out.

#29 Porksta   Sillier Mofo CAGiversary!   2044 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

Did anyone notice the episode where Darrell bought a locker with the SNES in it? Anyone else notice the tape over the box covering out the logos? Nobody has stepped in that locker, riiiiight. Or it is possible he won the locker, then applied the tape and then filmed what the locker looked like.

#30 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

If you notice they do A LOT of that blurring on name brands and what not.