Anyone watch Storage Wars???

shadyfozzie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
I was watching last night's episode (from August 10th) and the guy finds an old NES system (He called it an NES DS lol). The system was pretty beat up and looked like it had black paint all over it.

Anyway, he says he hopes it is a 001 looks and it's a model 001 and he said the last time he saw online with 5 games for $13,000.

Is this true, or is this complete BS?

You can see the video below (Fast forward to around the 15 minute mark to where he finds it)

http://www.aetv.com/storage-wars/video/?bcpid=753904050001&bclid=901962281001&bctid=1096045289001

Last edited by a moderator:
living in So Cal, it's kinda funny cause I pass Dave Hesters place all the time on the way to the beach. i really want to throw eggs one time at his store...

No they are not most NES system go for around I think maybe $50 still, I myself got a 001 model from the action set that was complete with box, controllers, and the game that came with it. If you get a toploader model NES they are worth more I don't know the exact value since I have never seen one.

He's out of his mind. I just bought a nes-001 with 10 games at the flea market over the weekend for $20.
Although I could be wrong.

it turns out that they can for for that much, but it has to be a special circumstance, like sealed or a prototype or come with stadium events..

Hey Fiend, ever go in the store?

LMAO, Fast-Forward toward the end you see the fuck head get teary eyed when the guy values it at $10. Darrell, went along to rub it in his face, ROFL.

I know the area that auction was at, it was on Highland between Del Rosa & Sterling and that area is a shit hole. Since were talking about shows, Bait Car happened to film in the same area just to show how shitty of an area that is.

Hi, FiendCameron good to see a local =)

[quote name='lukewin']It's true, that a Nintendo sold for $13,000, but not because it was an 001, but because the bundle had a rare game in it. That guy is a freakin' idiot. http://boingboing.net/2010/02/10/old-nintendo-nes-sys.html[/QUOTE]

I don't even have to click the link to know it's Stadium Events. I knew it as soon as I heard "$13,000." Dave Hester is a massive tool. The only reason he opened a thrift store was because he got a DUI and did his community service through Goodwill.

I watched through that just becuase I once threw out a broken black-paint covered NES, and I was half-curious to see if someone had yanked it out of the trash and it ended up down there. (Not the case. Not surprised.)

Shame they told him how much it was worth, maybe I could've got him to buy my spare system for 10 grand. :bouncy:

I've watched a few episodes of this show and the prices they give for this stuff is almost always bullshit. Some of the stuff I have no idea the value of like art, but when they show stuff on the show that I do know the value of it is always off. I remember there was an episode where one of the guys finds a super nintendo and he says it's worth $150. Yea good luck with that buddy. These shows are a joke.

Yeah, I saw that episode too and was lmao when he thought he could get $13k for that NES that was obviously in crappy condition. I figured the one he saw online must have been bundled with something like Stadium Events. It was funny to watch his reaction when the guy told him the value of it.

That guy is a complete douche. I've watched that show a few times and the guy just throws around money because he can. He pays WAY too much for every unit he buys. I'm surprised he hardly ever makes money. I saw the Nintendo episode and couldn't help but laugh.

I wouldn't call the shows jokes, but the people certainly are. That guy really needs a reality check. The way his face appeared to light up when he found that NES shows how absolute of a moron he is. Even valuing that NES at $10 was way to generous.

LOL, what an idiot. I'm surprised ANY of the guys on these shows even go to storage auctions anymore, as I'd expect most of their competitors now to push their prices way up. Of course, that's assuming there's any 'reality' to any of these shows, which is highly doubtful.

[quote name='Xiaan']I wouldn't call the shows jokes, but the people certainly are. That guy really needs a reality check. The way his face appeared to light up when he found that NES shows how absolute of a moron he is. Even valuing that NES at $10 was way to generous.[/QUOTE]

With the styrofoam and baggies the store owner might be able to make a CIB; if the system wasn't all dirt-tastic it would've gone nice with the empty box in my basement.

LOL. The 13 grand was for Stadium Events, it just happened to come with a NES, that the buyer probably threw in the trash. WTF has 001 got to do with anything? The guy is clueless. He once heard that one NES went for 13K, and assumes that's the going rate without doing any research into it.

The other show - Auction Hunters is it? had one of the guys find an Atari 2600 in a locker and he said it was worth $250. LMAO. I knew right then that all of these 'great finds' they have every week were probably just as suspect. I mean I'm sure they find something genuinely valuable every once in a while, but most of it really is rubbish.
There's something kind of icky about the whole thing - basically these plunderers are poring over other people's possessions, people who either died or fell on hard times and couldn't pay their bills.

You have got to remember that is how they make money. Look at Jerrid and Brandy. That is their job. That is how they, and Dave, get some inventory for their thrift shops.

You know what's funny? I absolutely abhor reality tv garbage, yet I watch this contrived/staged crap almost every time I see it's on.

You have to wonder how many crappy units the 'stars' of these shows go through before they find that one unit that has 1-2 decent items in it.

But again, I feel that these shows are so fake/staged, yet it's like a car accident and you can't look away once you start watching it.

Plus Brandi's kind of cute.

[quote name='dinovelvet']The other show - Auction Hunters is it? had one of the guys find an Atari 2600 in a locker and he said it was worth $250. LMAO. I knew right then that all of these 'great finds' they have every week were probably just as suspect. I mean I'm sure they find something genuinely valuable every once in a while, but most of it really is rubbish.
There's something kind of icky about the whole thing - basically these plunderers are poring over other people's possessions, people who either died or fell on hard times and couldn't pay their bills.[/QUOTE]

Dumbass Corey on Pawn Stars bought a 2600 off a guy for a hundred bucks. (I love shows about junk. I have no life.) But storage auctions are nothing new. These ones are spiced up a bit for TV but that's just how those facilities work. I'd hate to be the guy who had the locker in which they found a thousand in cash.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You have to wonder how many crappy units the 'stars' of these shows go through before they find that one unit that has 1-2 decent items in it.[/QUOTE]

Certainly more crap than not. SoCal/Vegas is probably a great area to be a picker, though. I'd love to try it sometime but around here all I'd get is dead hookers and things with rebel flags all over them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know what's funny? I absolutely abhor reality tv garbage, yet I watch this contrived/staged crap almost every time I see it's on.

You have to wonder how many crappy units the 'stars' of these shows go through before they find that one unit that has 1-2 decent items in it.

But again, I feel that these shows are so fake/staged, yet it's like a car accident and you can't look away once you start watching it.[/QUOTE]

There was this episode were they showed stuff the found over the years. The Gambler Darrell showed some Picasso's he found. The crown was 1 of the 5 biggest comic book collections ever found. He got it dirt cheap under $10K and sold them for over $150,000 back in the day. He said, "If I kept them it would have been over a million dollars worth of books." There were all the classic even Amazing Fantasy #15 "1st Appearance of Spiderman" & X-Men #1, etc.

I bet they find lots of crap but the picture of the comic book find was just CRAZY!

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't say they don't come up on things but I will say they do overvalue a lot of the crap they find. It might be a way to get other people to come out and do this kind of thing.

[quote name='skiizim']I won't say they don't come up on things but I will say they do overvalue a lot of the crap they find. It might be a way to get other people to come out and do this kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

If so it's working, but why in the holy name of crap would they want that?

[quote name='N3UROP0D']If so it's working, but why in the holy name of crap would they want that?[/QUOTE]

I guess the same reason people pay a crap lode and DLC code. I just tend to laugh at it instead of trying to figure it out.

Did anyone notice the episode where Darrell bought a locker with the SNES in it? Anyone else notice the tape over the box covering out the logos? Nobody has stepped in that locker, riiiiight. Or it is possible he won the locker, then applied the tape and then filmed what the locker looked like.

Oh yeah, all over their clothes mostly, but this was the first time I saw actual markings over something in a locker. Usually they blur it, but this was actual tape or something.

[quote name='Survivalism']I don't even have to click the link to know it's Stadium Events. I knew it as soon as I heard "$13,000." Dave Hester is a massive tool. The only reason he opened a thrift store was because he got a DUI and did his community service through Goodwill.[/QUOTE]

So he's a tool because he has a successful business? I don't know how that makes sense in your head.

[quote name='dinovelvet']
There's something kind of icky about the whole thing - basically these plunderers are poring over other people's possessions, people who either died or fell on hard times and couldn't pay their bills.[/QUOTE]

Let's make all these guys trying to run a business out to be villains, but those banks taking people's houses and throwing them into the streets is ok.

[quote name='DarkRider23']
Let's make all these guys trying to run a business out to be villains, but those banks taking people's houses and throwing them into the streets is ok.[/QUOTE]

Lol.

Wow, I come home from work, and a friend and I were talking about Storage Wars, and going to an auction next weekend. He leaves, come inside, Storage Wars is on TV (it seems to be a marathon or something). Get on CAG, read Storage Wars thread.

Urge to buy a storage locker full of someone else's crap: UNSTOPPABLE!:whee:

Ha, I've driven by Hester's shop hundreds of times on the way to work. I used to work at Triangle Square about a half mile from there.

Has anyone seen the new one that's on Tru TV I believe? It's not very good, but I noticed they keep talking about how they do research on the people that owned the units. How do they do that? Do they just give that info out to random people? That doesn't seem right to me.

[quote name='DarkRider23']So he's a tool because he has a successful business? I don't know how that makes sense in your head.[/QUOTE]

Because I never said that. He has successful business because he's a successful businessman. He's a tool because he's a tool.

[quote name='rainking187']Has anyone seen the new one that's on Tru TV I believe? It's not very good, but I noticed they keep talking about how they do research on the people that owned the units. How do they do that? Do they just give that info out to random people? That doesn't seem right to me.[/QUOTE]
What's funny about that show is that it is for the most part fake. There was an episode where they opened a locker and explosives went off. They had to call the fire department to check it out. The funny thing? In the credits they give credit to the pyrotechnics guy. Yep that's not fake at all.

The prices on these shows are always way off. This past week on Pawn Stars for example someone brought in a copy pf the book The Authorized Al, a small magazine sized book about Weird Al Yankovic released very early in his career. Now granted, it's a rare and valuable book, but definitely not worth more than $200 - $250 at the most. How much did Rick buy it for on Pawn Stars? $450

Worse yet was a show where a guy brought in a Virtual Boy with Mario Tennis. Again, it came in the original box with all the packaging materials, but even in good condition like that, it's only a $40 - $60 item. On Pawn Stars they paid something like $125 for it, and when I stopped at the store during my trip to Vegas this past year, it was still in the display case with a $250 tag on it.

[quote name='rainking187']Has anyone seen the new one that's on Tru TV I believe? It's not very good, but I noticed they keep talking about how they do research on the people that owned the units. How do they do that? Do they just give that info out to random people? That doesn't seem right to me.[/QUOTE]

The names of the people who rented the unit are included in the legal notices that the storage places are required to post 2 weeks prior to the auction. Some places also include the address of the person, but not usually. You can google the person's name and usually look for a match in the town where the storage unit is located to get an idea of who the person is, their age, or what they do. Sometimes that can give you an idea of what you might find in the unit.

Of course, in the case of the show you're asking about....it's completely fake, and they all ready know what's in there, so they can concoct a story to go along with it....they seem to know a bit more about the 'person' then what you would normally be able to find with a quick search of google or facebook.

that show on true tv about storage units just looks horrible. Between the auctioneer doing a standup routine basically and making fun of the bidders, to the auctioneer basically stopping the auction after every unit is bought and talking to the buyers, and basically going through the unit with the buyers.

I've been to a few storage auctions in my area, and stuff like that never happens here..

[quote name='spmahn']The prices on these shows are always way off. This past week on Pawn Stars for example someone brought in a copy pf the book The Authorized Al, a small magazine sized book about Weird Al Yankovic released very early in his career. Now granted, it's a rare and valuable book, but definitely not worth more than $200 - $250 at the most. How much did Rick buy it for on Pawn Stars? $450
[/QUOTE]

It's funny on Storage Wars how they just throw prices around and keep them in the totals. "A DVD player . . . $60" . . . does it work? Could anyone actually sell a used DVD player for more than $10? Hester says, "I'll mark that for $200 in my store." Yet the shots of his store show huge amounts of unsold stuff. So the $200 painting eventually sells for $50 . . . but the higher number is used to show his take on a locker?!

You have caused me pain by bringing up "Authorized Al." A few years ago (3ish) my wife picked up a copy for my son . . . for $5 at Half-Price Books! We all read it and I sold it for about $100 on Amazon (I listed it at the going rate). I haven't thought about it since selling it . . . but right now, it looks like you might get $500 on Amazon fuck

"yupppppppppppppppppppppppp"

I like storage wars better then Auction hunters, those two guys in auction hunters are awful and boring.

[quote name='spmahn']The prices on these shows are always way off. This past week on Pawn Stars for example someone brought in a copy pf the book The Authorized Al, a small magazine sized book about Weird Al Yankovic released very early in his career. Now granted, it's a rare and valuable book, but definitely not worth more than $200 - $250 at the most. How much did Rick buy it for on Pawn Stars? $450

Worse yet was a show where a guy brought in a Virtual Boy with Mario Tennis. Again, it came in the original box with all the packaging materials, but even in good condition like that, it's only a $40 - $60 item. On Pawn Stars they paid something like $125 for it, and when I stopped at the store during my trip to Vegas this past year, it was still in the display case with a $250 tag on it.[/QUOTE]

I feel like a lot of time these resellers who think they have a lot of clout or attention or authority (deserved or undeserved) can ignore market prices and state inflated value and have it become fact simply because of their position in the reseller/collector market.

You see it on ebay and amazon where power sellers with hundreds of thousands of feedback sell their items at a 25% or 50% premium over smaller, "less credible" sellers. And how many people don't have record/cd/game/movie stores that sell DVDs that should be a buck for $7.99?

I don't know if these guys on these shows are actually in that position to inflate prices (and inflate them so generously) but they obviously think they are.

I think in most cases they just price themselves out of business and let stuff rot on a shelf until they can't pay the rent for their businesses.

[quote name='iiinightmar3ii']What's funny about that show is that it is for the most part fake. There was an episode where they opened a locker and explosives went off. They had to call the fire department to check it out. The funny thing? In the credits they give credit to the pyrotechnics guy. Yep that's not fake at all.[/QUOTE]

TruTV reality shows are the absolute worst, bottom of the barrel trash on TV. Their whole slogan is some crap about "It's reality", yet their "reality" shows are without a doubt the fakest, most scripted things on television.

I worked on an episode of kitchen nightmares as a production assistant (basically a do what we tell you position) when it was in town and while cleaning out the producers trailers after the show was done filming I found multiple of gordon's scripts for things to say to diners coming into the restaurant with scripted responses by them. Something about some witty banter between him and a priest and some nuns from Notre Dame nearby.

[quote name='jer7583']And how many people don't have record/cd/game/movie stores that sell DVDs that should be a buck for $7.99?[/QUOTE]
The one flea market guy here prices stuff like greatest hits PS2 games for $5 over the usual new MSRP and CD's/DVD's for way more than they should be. Yet he's been in business in the same spot for YEARS now. I don't know how the hell he makes any money really, since 90-95% of the folks coming out of his stand are empty handed.

Only good part about his stand is that he typically pays 25-50% more than the local game/cd/dvd shops for stuff. That's why he's usually the one I go to with stuff I'm done with.

Of course my personal favorite item that he has overpriced is the Burger King Xbox/360 games. They were $4 new, I believe. He has them out there for $20 used.:roll:

bread's done
Back