Is a fightstick worth the investment?

Jay

CAG Ultra Noob
I love fighting games and love playing them on the 360 which i usually play with a pad but the pads i have used usually have problems down the line, first a purchased a street fighter blanka pad and after sometime the buttons would give out so i decided to get a hori ex2 pad and now this pad is "ghosting" which really is a pain to deal with.I want to know is a stick really hard to adjust too after you've been playing with pads and would you recommend a pad that isn't expensive?

If you are a fighting game player, yes a fight stick is a great investment. I am not sure what your budget is but from my experience, the Mad Catz sticks are very solid. I used to have the SFIV non tournament edition stick, it was pretty good but I had to move on. I picked up the SFIV tournament edition stick and it is worth every penny. It works well for Mortal Kombat and MVC3 as well. I have yet to try it with Blaz Blue but I will soon.

yeah, the TE stick from mad catz is great. won't take long to adjust and you'll not regret the purchase.

check out amazon warehouse deals, they frequently have the Blazblue one (same as every other stick, just with a picture of blazblue characters on it) for 90 bucks.

I played pad pretty hardcore until the Madcatz sticks finally came to Canada. It may be difficult to adjust at first. When I switched, it was like I went back to day one of playing SF4. After a few weeks though, I don't think I could ever go back to pad.

Yes.

It's like the advantage of learning to skateboard or riding a bike has over walking/running.

At first it's going to have a difficulty curve, but over time it will be more effective and easier to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
the SFIV TE sticks are solid, I dont have any experience w/the hori sticks so I can't say. my buddies and I have a few of the TE sticks and from SFIV > MvC3/MK9 and much abuse it's still going strong.

is it worth the investment? only if you think it'll make your fighting gaming experience more enjoyable...despite our buddy who still uses an xbox 360 controller repeatedly schooling us, it's really up to the buyer. I say yes.

You can still get the Tekken 6 Wireless Fight Stick bundle for $60 at Amazon:

I would definitely buy that if I planned on using it for anything more than Pac-man.

[quote name='Kerig']You can still get the Tekken 6 Wireless Fight Stick bundle for $60 at Amazon:

I would definitely buy that if I planned on using it for anything more than Pac-man.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to spend 60 bones you might as well just spend the extra bit and get a higher quality stick.

Like I had mentioned previously, scope out Amazon Warehouse Deals for relatively cheap Mad Catz sticks.

You could also follow @markman23 on Twitter and see when Mad Catz will do a sale for their fightsticks. They usually do one each weekend there is a major fighting tournament in the US or for something like PAX. Those sales generally shave off $30-$50 off the normal price of the TE sticks.

Only time I use a pad is for MK9 or when I'm away from home since the stick is too hard to transport.

If you have any serious interest in fighting games then yes.

I was a decent fighter using just the 360 controller, but felt like I could explore a lot more of the game with a arcade stick.

If you don't want to spend much on a stick then get a fight pad and go look up some Vangief videos. He destroys with a pad, and can also do a standing 720 with a pad.

bread's done
Back