Anime Sale on DVDs and Blu-rays @ Amazon - Ends September 26

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
The Anime titles on sale are part Amazon's larger Fall TV Event Sale.

Here is the full list,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...11,p_n_theme_browse-bin:2650364011&sort=price

Titles includes DBZ Kai, FMA Brotherhood, and Yu Yu Hakusho for blu-rays, and DVD titles are kind of random and abundant, so take a look if you're interested.

DBZ Kai Part One $15.99
DBZ Kai Part Two $15.99
DBZ Kai Part Three $15.99
DBZ Kai Part Four $15.49
DBZ Kai Part Five $16.99
FMA Brotherhood Part One $23.99
FMA Brotherhood Part Two $23.49
FMA Brotherhood Part Three $24.49
FMA Brotherhood Part Four $24.49
FMA Brotherhood Part Five $24.99
Yu Yu Hakusho Season One $20.99
Yu Yu Hakusho Season Two $20.99

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like some hold overs from the last big sale they had along with a couple of new faces (X, Spice and Wolf, etc) At $22, if you haven't bought it yet, I would encourage you to look into Chrono Crusade.

Even though I haven't heard very many good things about the Blu-ray version, I will once again throw my money at Funimation and pick up Season 1 of Spice and Wolf. Hopefully TRSI will cancel my $30 pre-order so that I'm not out any more than I have to be.

[quote name='Mixer236']Thinking of picking up FMP! complete series on blu, would anyone recommend it?[/QUOTE]

The show or the Blu transfer? I really enjoyed the show on dvd. the second season is more serious than the first one in terms of action and people actually dying.

[quote name='HunteR7411']The show or the Blu transfer? I really enjoyed the show on dvd. the second season is more serious than the first one in terms of action and people actually dying.[/QUOTE]

The show itself. I'm looking for more anime to get into, this piqued my interest the most of the titles that are currently on sale on blu.

[quote name='Mixer236']The show itself. I'm looking for more anime to get into, this piqued my interest the most of the titles that are currently on sale on blu.[/QUOTE]

I think the series is really good. I love giant fighting robots anime and this pretty much fits the bill. FUMOFFU is absolutely hysterical and then the "2nd" season is serious again.

[quote name='HunteR7411']I think the series is really good. I love giant fighting robots anime and this pretty much fits the bill. FUMOFFU is absolutely hysterical and then the "2nd" season is serious again.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'll most likely be picking it up.

Ugh, I guess it was too much to hope that Gungrave was going to be on the list. It is only a couple weeks old...
Would have liked to have seen Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny on sale too. Just watched the first set and loved it but now I want more.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Ugh, I guess it was too much to hope that Gungrave was going to be on the list. It is only a couple weeks old...[/QUOTE]

It's been out for like a month, but it is still only a month old. ;P

I've been waiting for a drop on it meself.

[quote name='Mixer236']Thinking of picking up FMP! complete series on blu, would anyone recommend it?[/QUOTE]

The series is awesome. Easily in my top 5 anime of all time i have seen. However, the Blu-ray is just an upconvert.

My Bride is a Mermaid is extremely tempting, I just wish it wasn't split into two parts, but will definetly get at least the first season of Spice and Wolf

Full Metal Panic S1 is mediocre.
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is one of the funniest things ever, but you'll miss out on the fun if you don't watch S1.
Full Metal Panic Second Raid (S2) is a legitimately good anime, but again, you need to watch the mediocre S1.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Full Metal Panic S1 is mediocre.
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is one of the funniest things ever, but you'll miss out on the fun if you don't watch S1.
Full Metal Panic Second Raid (S2) is a legitimately good anime, but again, you need to watch the mediocre S1.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. The first season has its moments, but compared to Fumoffu and Second Raid, it's a bit of a slog.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']Tempted to get Spice and Wolf Season 2, but it'll just show up on Netflix soon anyways.[/QUOTE]
How was the 1st season?

Would you recommend Spice and Wolf?

I just noticed that the Fairy Tail Part 1 DVD/Blu-ray combo pack is also a part of this sale. It's not listed in their list of on-sale items, but it's heavily discounted nonetheless -- it's $28.99. It doesn't even come out until November 22, so I doubt it will get any cheaper any time soon. Also, even if you waited for the next Funimation sale at Right Stuf -- which should be soon actually -- the cheapest it would be is $29.70 with a Got Anime membership.

I'm buying it since I love the show. The first couple episodes and the first arc are kind of a slog, but the show becomes amazing during the second arc, the Galuna Island arc, which starts at episode 11, and the show hasn't stopped being awesome ever since -- it's up to 94 episodes now.

www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tail-Part-1-Bl...1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1314645177&sr=1-1

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Full Metal Panic S1 is mediocre.
Full Metal Panic Second Raid (S2) is a legitimately good anime, but again, you need to watch the mediocre S1.[/QUOTE]

i prefer the first s1 full metal i watch 2 time ;)

Birdy the Mighty - wow. I used to love that show. If you could call it a show. My memory is fuzzy but I wanna say it was just a short OVA with no real conclusion or anything. I had it on something called a "VHS" cassette.

What's the consensus on the new Birdy the Mighty series/thing?

Most of these blu-rays/DVDs have been on sale for a while on Amazon.

Shhh, Bandai Entertainment had good deals on their site yesterday, but I didn't check today to see if they are still going on.

[quote name='Razzuel']I just noticed that the Fairy Tail Part 1 DVD/Blu-ray combo pack is also a part of this sale. It's not listed in their list of on-sale items, but it's heavily discounted nonetheless -- it's $28.99. It doesn't even come out until November 22, so I doubt it will get any cheaper any time soon. Also, even if you waited for the next Funimation sale at Right Stuf -- which should be soon actually -- the cheapest it would be is $29.70 with a Got Anime membership.

I'm buying it since I love the show. The first couple episodes and the first arc are kind of a slog, but the show becomes amazing during the second arc, the Galuna Island arc, which starts at episode 11, and the show hasn't stopped being awesome ever since -- it's up to 94 episodes now.

www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tail-Part-1-Blu-ray/dp/B005HVWW8U/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1314645177&sr=1-1[/QUOTE]

Fairy Tail Part 1 decreased from $28.99 to $27.99. Don't miss out on it!

[quote name='b3b0p']How is Basilisk?[/QUOTE]

Took me several times to start(kept falling asleep) Me and wife finished in a matter of days, we both enjoyed it. Slow start, then really good, HORRIBLE ending..but what else is new. I found it enjoyable and I picked it up SUPER cheap. So it was worth it to me.

[quote name='killa5k7']Took me several times to start(kept falling asleep) Me and wife finished in a matter of days, we both enjoyed it. Slow start, then really good, HORRIBLE ending..but what else is new. I found it enjoyable and I picked it up SUPER cheap. So it was worth it to me.[/QUOTE]
For a second opinion, I liked the ending. Can't see myself watching it again though, it could've been half the length it was I'm sure.

[quote name='Razzuel']Fairy Tail Part 1 decreased from $28.99 to $27.99. Don't miss out on it![/QUOTE]I'm tempted, but could you recommend Fairy Tail to someone who enjoys the higher-quality/semi-obscure type of anime (e.g. Code Geass, Moribito, Gankutsuou, Paranoia Agent, Gurren Lagann)? I've recently decided that mainstream shonen anime is pretty boring (notably Bleach and Naruto), so if Fairy Tail is in the same vein(s) as those series, I might not be interested...

I'm also a bit tightfisted when it comes to buying anime sets--I'm used to paying under $30 for an entire series rather than for 12 episodes. Might there possibly be a bigger Fairy Tail collection down the road, similarly to how Soul Eater got the Meister and Weapon Collections?

[quote name='Vigilante']I'm tempted, but could you recommend Fairy Tail to someone who enjoys the higher-quality/semi-obscure type of anime (e.g. Code Geass, Moribito, Gankutsuou, Paranoia Agent, Gurren Lagann)? I've recently decided that mainstream shonen anime is pretty boring (notably Bleach and Naruto), so if Fairy Tail is in the same vein(s) as those series, I might not be interested...

I'm also a bit tightfisted when it comes to buying anime sets--I'm used to paying under $30 for an entire series rather than for 12 episodes. Might there possibly be a bigger Fairy Tail collection down the road, similarly to how Soul Eater got the Meister and Weapon Collections?[/QUOTE]

I'd put Fairy Tail closer to One Piece than the two you mention. Considering its nearly at 100 eps in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a bigger collection available at some point.

Yu Yu Hakusho Season Two dropped from $23.99 to $20.99.

May be part of the sale, but no confirmation yet since there is no sales page as of now.

[quote name='shrike4242']FMA Brotherhood S5 dropped from $27.99 to $24.99.[/QUOTE]

Just grabbed this. Needed it to complete the series. Damn all these sales. Between this, the stupid HP touchpads debacle, and all the games coming out the next few months my bank account is choking. :cry:

[quote name='shadow17x']Just grabbed this. Needed it to complete the series. Damn all these sales. Between this, the stupid HP touchpads debacle, and all the games coming out the next few months my bank account is choking. :cry:[/QUOTE] good pick up, i own the first 2 sets and needed to get the last 3. I was so into the series that I finished it online, but its so good that I could watch it again and not get bored.

Argh, I'm so tempted by Chrono Crusade, but I just don't have the money right now and it's hard to justify most DVD purchases when I can just get them from Netflix. Hopefully that deal will stick around so I can think about it...

[quote name='Vigilante']I'm tempted, but could you recommend Fairy Tail to someone who enjoys the higher-quality/semi-obscure type of anime (e.g. Code Geass, Moribito, Gankutsuou, Paranoia Agent, Gurren Lagann)? I've recently decided that mainstream shonen anime is pretty boring (notably Bleach and Naruto), so if Fairy Tail is in the same vein(s) as those series, I might not be interested...

I'm also a bit tightfisted when it comes to buying anime sets--I'm used to paying under $30 for an entire series rather than for 12 episodes. Might there possibly be a bigger Fairy Tail collection down the road, similarly to how Soul Eater got the Meister and Weapon Collections?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='watcher0']I'd put Fairy Tail closer to One Piece than the two you mention. Considering its nearly at 100 eps in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a bigger collection available at some point.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would say Fairy Tail is more similar to One Piece. I've seen at least 40 episodes of Bleach and it's no where near as good as Fairy Tail. Fairy Tail's not entirely unique, but it's executed so well that it doesn't matter; it has heart and it's just really fun to watch.

There will definitely be season collections down the line, but it might be a while before that happens. It took Funimation forever to release the first One Piece collection, which they just released last month.

Funimation has been steadily posting episodes of Fairy Tail on their website, so if you want a better idea on whether you'll like it, you can check it out there. However, if anyone just checks out the first episode or so, keep in mind that it took me until the second arc (starts at episode 11) for the show captivate me. I understand that 11 episodes is a lot, so not everyone would be willing to take that chance. Also, I wouldn't recommend skipping episodes, since you'll miss out on getting to know the characters and the world.

http://www.funimation.com/fairy-tail/episodes?page=1

Wow. Dragon Box Volume 2 is fetching some crazy Marketplace prices. I suppose it's OOP and FUNimation has shipped what they had at this point.

[quote name='Razzuel']Yeah, I would say Fairy Tail is more similar to One Piece. I've seen at least 40 episodes of Bleach and it's no where near as good as Fairy Tail. Fairy Tail's not entirely unique, but it's executed so well that it doesn't matter; it has heart and it's just really fun to watch.

There will definitely be season collections down the line, but it might be a while before that happens. It took Funimation forever to release the first One Piece collection, which they just released last month.

Funimation has been steadily posting episodes of Fairy Tail on their website, so if you want a better idea on whether you'll like it, you can check it out there. However, if anyone just checks out the first episode or so, keep in mind that it took me until the second arc (starts at episode 11) for the show captivate me. I understand that 11 episodes is a lot, so not everyone would be willing to take that chance. Also, I wouldn't recommend skipping episodes, since you'll miss out on getting to know the characters and the world.

http://www.funimation.com/fairy-tail/episodes?page=1[/QUOTE]Thanks for the very detailed response. I'll try to check out the posted episodes if/when I have the time. I have a semi-related follow-up question, if you don't mind:

When you mentioned that Funimation had just recently released a larger collection for One Piece, I took a look at Amazon and found the set you meant: the first 26 episodes, currently priced at $16.99! :hot: That seems like a much better value to me (26 episodes for $16.99 vs. 12 episodes for $26.99--though I realize that there would be a larger investment for One Piece in the long run compared to Fairy Tail).

Now, here's my question: While you said Fairy Tail was more similar to One Piece than Bleach, can you say whether Fairy Tail might be preferable over One Piece or vice versa? I've had an underlying desire to try out One Piece ever since Funimation took over the dubbing duties (I subjected myself to the 4Kids episodes back in the day...*shudder*), but I never had the chance to do so. Sure, it's the textbook definition of a long series (400 episodes and still going in Japan), but the more I think about it, the more I think that that might not be such a bad thing...

Or would I be better off just reading the One Piece manga, which I could do for free through my local library? :lol:

Sorry for the lengthy response; as you might guess, I'm picky when it comes to anime, so I appreciate as much guidance as I can get regarding series I might enjoy. :D

[quote name='ZombieToast']Argh, I'm so tempted by Chrono Crusade, but I just don't have the money right now and it's hard to justify most DVD purchases when I can just get them from Netflix. Hopefully that deal will stick around so I can think about it...[/QUOTE]

Netflix is almost always temporary.

Have you seen Chrono Crusade? I hated it. Absolutely hated it.

One Piece: Collection One is down to 16.99 for the first 24 eps, not a significant decrease from the regular price of 19.99 but overall I great value.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']One Piece: Collection One is down to 16.99 for the first 24 eps, not a significant decrease from the regular price of 19.99 but overall I great value.[/QUOTE]

One Piece, like Naruto and Bleach, is one series I would never dare (or can afford) to buy.

[quote name='Vigilante']Thanks for the very detailed response. I'll try to check out the posted episodes if/when I have the time. I have a semi-related follow-up question, if you don't mind:

When you mentioned that Funimation had just recently released a larger collection for One Piece, I took a look at Amazon and found the set you meant: the first 26 episodes, currently priced at $16.99! :hot: That seems like a much better value to me (26 episodes for $16.99 vs. 12 episodes for $26.99--though I realize that there would be a larger investment for One Piece in the long run compared to Fairy Tail).

Now, here's my question: While you said Fairy Tail was more similar to One Piece than Bleach, can you say whether Fairy Tail might be preferable over One Piece or vice versa? I've had an underlying desire to try out One Piece ever since Funimation took over the dubbing duties (I subjected myself to the 4Kids episodes back in the day...*shudder*), but I never had the chance to do so. Sure, it's the textbook definition of a long series (400 episodes and still going in Japan), but the more I think about it, the more I think that that might not be such a bad thing...

Or would I be better off just reading the One Piece manga, which I could do for free through my local library? :lol:

Sorry for the lengthy response; as you might guess, I'm picky when it comes to anime, so I appreciate as much guidance as I can get regarding series I might enjoy. :D[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I haven't watched much of One Piece yet, so I couldn't say if I preferred it over Fairy Tail; although I do own all of season one and two, which is about 150 episodes — I really need to start watching that monster, haha. Maybe someone else who has seen both could chime in, or if you have the time, you could watch the first episode of both shows on Funimation's website and just pick the show that resonates more with you.

As for the One Piece manga, I'm not sure how it compares to the anime adaption; it must be good though if it keeps breaking sales records in Japan. I do know that the Fairy Tail anime adaption is very faithful to the manga, but that wasn't your question, haha.

[quote name='Razzuel']Unfortunately, I haven't watched much of One Piece yet, so I couldn't say if I preferred it over Fairy Tail; although I do own all of season one and two, which is about 150 episodes — I really need to start watching that monster, haha. Maybe someone else who has seen both could chime in, or if you have the time, you could watch the first episode of both shows on Funimation's website and just pick the show that resonates more with you.

As for the One Piece manga, I'm not sure how it compares to the anime adaption; it must be good though if it keeps breaking sales records in Japan. I do know that the Fairy Tail anime adaption is very faithful to the manga, but that wasn't your question, haha.[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge One Piece fan (bought all the 13 episode sets), but I agree with all thats been said. Its a very long show, so it requires a lot of time and $ if you want to own it. But I definitely recommend the One Piece collections that are coming out, especially Set 1 at $16.99, which has 26 episodes. As for a comparison to Fairy Tail, they are similar. If you like shonen, you should like both. I am on the Fairy tail manga and love it, reminds me off ... one piece! (which as I stated, I love, its my favorite anime).

The one piece anime does a good job at following the manga, obviously there is always some filler content here and there, but its quite accurate and shows the story well without wasting time on each episode like a DBZ for example. I haven't watched the Fairy tail anime cause I am waiting for its release (I know its online, I'm just lazy).

[quote name='nightmare452']I'm a huge One Piece fan (bought all the 13 episode sets), but I agree with all thats been said. Its a very long show, so it requires a lot of time and $ if you want to own it. But I definitely recommend the One Piece collections that are coming out, especially Set 1 at $16.99, which has 26 episodes. As for a comparison to Fairy Tail, they are similar. If you like shonen, you should like both. I am on the Fairy tail manga and love it, reminds me off ... one piece! (which as I stated, I love, its my favorite anime).

The one piece anime does a good job at following the manga, obviously there is always some filler content here and there, but its quite accurate and shows the story well without wasting time on each episode like a DBZ for example. I haven't watched the Fairy tail anime cause I am waiting for its release (I know its online, I'm just lazy).[/QUOTE]

The art style and story telling of One Piece seems identical to Fairy Tail in a lot of ways. I went straight for the manga over the show though because at that time they hadn't started the anime yet. I'm probably going to wait for the larger sets and for the eventual price drop but both are great stories. One Piece tv sets were full of lots of filler episodes and so many flashbacks it killed me on watching the series entirely. There was literally two episodes that I remember back to back where Tony Chopper had this flashback/introspection episode thing going on that seemed way unnecessary. Still for the price on the dvds, I could always fast forward....;)

[quote name='b3b0p']Netflix is almost always temporary.

Have you seen Chrono Crusade? I hated it. Absolutely hated it.[/QUOTE]

I was implying that I would copy the discs. And yes, I've seen it. I already have a couple of the DVD's, but buying this would be cheaper than completing the set. It's not the best cartoon out there, but I found it entertaining enough and I think it's better than most of the other stuff that's on sale.

Someone asked about Birdy Decode. I personally liked the story, but most people would probably find it average. The animation at times is god-awful. The intro songs are pretty catchy for season 1 and 2 though. I wouldn't pay more than $1 / episode for this series (I have my eyes on it though).

bread's done
Back