PAX Prime 2011 Gen. Discussion - Who's Going?

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I talked with metaly via Twitter about meeting up at PAX and mentioned that I was thinking about posting a meetup thread here on CAG. However, the more I thought about it, the more I was unsure - I went to PAX East last year and a similar thread came to naught.

Anyway, I still wanted to do a general PAX thread, so here it is :) Who else here is going, and what are you looking forward to seeing? What DS/PSP/mobile games are you bringing to kill time while waiting in line? Are you going to go to Halo Fest as well? Etc., etc.

Also, if someone wants to organize a CAG meetup, that would be cool, too. I don't know if I'd have the time myself, though; meeting up while in line for the same panel(s) sounds like a better bet.

------

As for my own answers to the above questions: I'm going; I don't know what panels I'm going to yet, but hope to spend a lot of time in the exhibition hall (and more time with the PAX 10 than I did at last year's PAX East); bringing Mario Kart, a puzzle game, maybe DQIX, maybe Etrian Odyssey III, and I don't know what else; and no Halo Fest for me, as I've only played the first game so far and don't want to be accidentally spoiled for the others.

It's my first PAX and it's going to be crazy!@# :whee: I've been trying to read up on tips and figure out what to see, but any advice would be appreciated.

Panel-wise, I'm hoping to see one of the Scott Kurtz/Kris Straub panels, Weekend Confirmed, Game Dev Secrets Exposed, and one of the art panels in the Raven theater on Sunday. Not sure what games I'll be waiting in line for.

I'll be bringing Mario Kart, DQ9, Tetris, and Monster Hunter. It would be great to play/hang out in line/grab some fried butter on a stick with some CAGs.

Metaly we will have to meet up!

I'm not certain if I will attend Halo Fest.

I"ll be there this year. Im not certain what Panels I want to go to. I may be interested in seeing Will Wheaton, retro game roadshow, and maybe one of the video game journalism panels. Debating on going to the keynote.

The king of chinatown film screening also looks interesting.

Gamewise in line? Just my iphone, maybe the DS lite, and possibly the tablet.

Im not certain what games I want to see as it gets closer Im sure I'll put together a list. Ill be there all day Fri/Sat and maybe a little on Sunday.

Based on the Destructoid list....wow there's a lot I want to see

Sega:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
Binary Domain
Renegade Ops
Rise of Nightmares
Shinobi
Sonic Generations
The House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut
Sonic CD

Warner Bros:
Lollipop Chainsaw
Batman: Arkham City

Square Enix:
Dead Island
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

2K Games:
Borderlands 2

PlayStation:

Starhawk
Resistance 3
PS Vita

Capcom:

Street Fighter X Tekken
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Dead Rising 2 Off the Record
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Resident Evil: Revelations

Electronic Arts:
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3

Reverb Games:
BloodRayne: Betrayal

Bethesda:
Rage

Ubisoft:

Assassin’s Creed Revelations
From Dust
Just Dance 3
Shoot Many Robots

ATLUS
Trine 2

NINTENDO:

Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Star Fox 64 3D
Sonic Generations by SEGA
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Last edited by a moderator:
4th year. My planning phase is currently very liquid. There are some interesting panels, but I'm really won't be sure till I'm sitting on the floor of the line up room on the first day of PAX.

I'll be all over twitter during PAX though. @zenprime

good PAX twitter streams to follow:
@official_pax
@pax_lines
@paxparties

and I've heard the Conventionist Guidebook is the app for PAX on iOS or Android. There is also a PAX 2011 iOS don't know which is better yet.

My advice:
  • Don't expect to get into all the panels you want
  • If you're heading to a popular panel (PA Q&A, etc.) get in line very early. Panels will fill up, and while they try to do a good job of letting you know when you're too late, you can be disappointed anyway.
  • Chat with the people around you on line. Attendees are usually pretty friendly.
  • Take full advantage of StreetPass/DQIX Tag mode/etc. Approximately a million people had Pokemon running last PAX East.
  • Comfortable shoes, you'll be doing a lot of walking.

Wow, I wish I had known about this earlier. Given all the Halo stuff going on my son would have loved to have gone there and it isn't too far for us to get up there.

How quickly did the passes sell out? I'm surprised at how cheap it is - I would have expected it to cost a lot more. I guess I just figure everything is outrageously expensive now. I mean, we spent nearly the cost of a 3-day pass at the stupid county fair today and we were only there a few hours and did a couple of games and rides :roll:. I'd much rather go to something like this.

[quote name='io']Wow, I wish I had known about this earlier. Given all the Halo stuff going on my son would have loved to have gone there and it isn't too far for us to get up there.

How quickly did the passes sell out? I'm surprised at how cheap it is - I would have expected it to cost a lot more. I guess I just figure everything is outrageously expensive now. I mean, we spent nearly the cost of a 3-day pass at the stupid county fair today and we were only there a few hours and did a couple of games and rides :roll:. I'd much rather go to something like this.[/QUOTE]

3 day passes sold out QUICK this year! Registration opened on 4/15/2011 and all of the 3 day passes were gone on 5/6/2011.

If you feel like taking your chances, you could see if you could find someone selling a couple on Ebay still. Being said, they will probably try to gouge you.

[quote name='pete5883']My advice:
  • Don't expect to get into all the panels you want
  • If you're heading to a popular panel (PA Q&A, etc.) get in line very early. Panels will fill up, and while they try to do a good job of letting you know when you're too late, you can be disappointed anyway.
[/QUOTE]
Seconded (for the whole list, actually, though my husband and I mainly kept to ourselves in line).

The panel/event schedule is more than double the size of the one from PAX East 2010 (oh god). I've printed the schedule grid and gone through the panel descriptions, and there's a lot of overlap concerning what I want to see. I suppose that's good; if there's something I can't make it to, for whatever reason, I have a backup.

Hopefully it won't conflict too much with what my husband wants to see either. I think we're definitely going to try and make it to the Friday concert, though.

[quote name='pete5883']
  • Take full advantage of StreetPass/DQIX Tag mode/etc. Approximately a million people had Pokemon running last PAX East.
[/QUOTE]
Pokewalkers were EVERYWHERE at the 2010 show. I was playing Pokemon Platinum at the time and felt a little left out.

Back when TWEWY was still fresh and new, a friend of mine brought his copy to PAX. He ended up getting every single badge in the game, which is no easy feat.

As for this one, I think DQIX and Pokemon B/W will be pretty popular. I have Pokemon White but haven't started it yet. Hmm...

[quote name='io']

How quickly did the passes sell out? I'm surprised at how cheap it is - I would have expected it to cost a lot more. [/QUOTE]

I think the last time you could buy passes on site was '08. The first year I went. You can check the PAX forums at Penny Arcade for people selling their passes. Some places are still running contests for them too.

[quote name='zenprime']I think the last time you could buy passes on site was '08. The first year I went. You can check the PAX forums at Penny Arcade for people selling their passes. Some places are still running contests for them too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately we have a different family trip planned during the first day so there's no way I could make it even if I got free tickets...

But for next year, though, I'm going to keep an eye on it. This looks like a great thing to take my 11 year-old to.

[quote name='blueshinra']Back when TWEWY was still fresh and new, a friend of mine brought his copy to PAX. He ended up getting every single badge in the game, which is no easy feat.[/QUOTE]
I had TWEWY running during East 2011, but everyone had their Pokemon BW surveys running, so the slots filled immediately and I couldn't get anything :/

I had a thought for a meetup: how about Thursday evening? I assume most of us coming in from out of town will be getting in the day before. The only question is where; I've never been to Seattle.

[quote name='heavyd853']Ill be there enforcing, don't mess with my area![/QUOTE]
I'll be there enforcering as well. Wait, what area are you in? I'm handling console tournament.

[quote name='MarkMan']This is the first PAX I'm missing. :(

I won't be there but I'll have a booth there, stop by and check it out.[/QUOTE]
mark nooooooo

Will Nate be there?

Heading to my first PAX next week! So excited! I was hoping to meet the man behind the TE sticks though :( Sad to hear you won't be there MarkMan. I'll still stop by the MadCatz booth anyway :bouncy:

So I'm putting together my mental list of games to see... I just saw Starhawk is going to have their space combat demo (playable, I'm assuming?), so that would be a good line to wait in. I want to harass Volition and Capcom as well. Battlefield 3 I'm guessing will be a nightmare line, and with the beta around the corner I'll probably skip it. Although... are they bringing a 64-player LAN? Hmm.

Any lesser-known games you guys are looking to see?

[quote name='blueshinra']I had a thought for a meetup: how about Thursday evening? I assume most of us coming in from out of town will be getting in the day before. The only question is where; I've never been to Seattle.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting in mid-Friday, unfortunately. I'm open to Friday evening or most of Saturday during the day, though. I have no idea where to go in Seattle either.

[quote name='kube00']How about we try to meet up on Sat in the afternoon?[/QUOTE]
As long as it doesn't conflict with anyone's schedules, that might work. Around what time were you thinking?

We could also consider Sunday night, post-Omegathon, or a breakfast meetup on any of the days.

[quote name='B:L']I'll be there enforcering as well. Wait, what area are you in? I'm handling console tournament.

mark nooooooo

Will Nate be there?[/QUOTE]

I think Im in console tourney too, working for zig. I dunno yet, it was sorta a last minute thing since I had to guilt him into it after last year (bought a pass and ended up working for him for free because his staff flaked)

OK, here's my list of stuff to see:

Devs/Games:

Sony/Lightbox - Starhawk
Capcom - Monster Hunter (lol)
EA - Battlefield 3
Sony - PS Vita?
Bioware - Star Wars: The Old Republic
2K/Gearbox - Borderlands 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines(?)
PAX 10

Panels:
Friday
Blamimation Alive - 5:30-6:30 - Pegasus Theater
Hollywood Squares, Game Design Edition - 6:00-7:00 - Kraken Theater

Saturday
Omegathon Round 3 (Lumines) - 2:00-3:00 - Wolfman Theater
Game Dev Secrets Exposed - 3:00-4:00 - Raven Theater
Weekend Confirmed - 8:00-9:00 - Unicorn Theater
PAX After Hours w/ Scott & Kris - 8:30-10:30 - Pegasus Theater

Sunday
Omegathon Round 5 (Portal) - 11:00-12:00 - Wolfman Theater
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Make Art for Indie Games - 1:30-2:30 - Raven Theater
Omegathon Final Round - 5:30-6:30 - Main Theater

Booths I'd be satisfied to just wander through or gawk at from a distance, if there are huge lines:

Mojang
Wacom
Irrational
SpyParty
Square Enix
Udon
Valve

And stuff I was hoping was going to be there, but apparently won't be(??):

Namco - Soulcalibur V
Volition - Saints Row: The Third (although I hear Professor Genki might make an appearance)

If you're going to any of these and want to meet up/stand in line/whatever, let me know!

[quote name='kube00']How about we try to meet up on Sat in the afternoon?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blueshinra']As long as it doesn't conflict with anyone's schedules, that might work. Around what time were you thinking?

We could also consider Sunday night, post-Omegathon, or a breakfast meetup on any of the days.[/QUOTE]

Saturday afternoon sounds good. I'm open from 4-8. Sunday after the Omegathon also works.

At some point I need to connect with someone for DQ9 so I can get the multiplayer only item. I can share some maps, too, if anyone's still playing that. :)

Edit: I've just been informed that there's an enormous Asian supermarket downtown, if anyone's into that. Maybe they'll have some exotic milk teas.

Is there a list of games being shown at PAX anywhere? The Giant Bomb wiki's was incomplete last I checked, and I only know of a handful otherwise. The husband wants to see Deus Ex: Human Revolution and The Old Republic, so there will be those, at least. Will check out the Square Enix, Valve, and Udon booths for sure.

Possible panels I'll be at. I don't think I'll make it to all of them; these are just the ones I'm currently planning to see:
Friday:
What They're Saying About You - Raven - 10:30-11:30
The PC in 2011 and 2012 - Unicorn - 12:30-1:30
Omegathon Round 1 (Mario Kart: Double Dash) - Wolfman - 2-3
Video Game Music Goes Mainstream - Raven - 3-4
Hollywood Squares, Game Design Edition - Kraken - 6-7
Friday Night Concerts - Main - 8:30-1:30 (this is top priority, so we may skip Hollywood Squares if necessary)

Saturday
Infinite Respawn: How Gaming Can Keep & Save Your Relationship - Serpent - 10:30-11:30
Discover the Forgotten Masters - Serpent - 12-1
Game Development Secrets Exposed - Raven - 3-4
We Make Xbox and Xbox LIVE. Ask us anything - Unicorn - 5-6
You Call That Fun?! - Wolfman - 6:30-7:30
Games and Books - Kraken - 7:30-8:30
King of Chinatown movie screening - Serpent - 10-11:30

Sunday
Making Art from Art - Raven - 12-1
Insider Insight: Awesome Video Game Data - Kraken - 2:30-3:30
Gaming as a Lifestyle - Serpent - 4-5
Omegathon Final Round - Main - 5:30-6:30

[quote name='metaly']

Edit: I've just been informed that there's an enormous Asian supermarket downtown, if anyone's into that. Maybe they'll have some exotic milk teas.[/QUOTE]

Uwajimaya is fair distance away from the convention center, a 15-20 min walk I think. It's nice, has a Kinokunia bookstore inside. I think there is a milk tea place across the street from it too...

My schedule:
Ha! All scheduling falls flat in the face of actually being at PAX

Actual Schedule that will buckle and fall at a whim:
Yes I know I'm double booked at times. It makes sense. You never see everything you want to at PAX/The things you didn't want to see become the things you want to see/LINES BITCH!/WALKING DISTANCE BITCH! So I've put all my options on the table. Also this is just my panel schedule.... Will add parties later.
Friday:
2:30 Wil Wheaton! (I never make this)
6:00 Assassin's Creed (Maybe..)
6:00 Hollywood Squares
7:30 PAX 10
8:30 Friday Night Concerts
9:30 LoadingReadyRun
10:30 LoadingReadyRun Movie Night

Saturday:
11:30 PC Gaming is (Not) Dead
12:00 The Agony and Ecstasy of RPG writing
12:30 How to run your own gaming website
2:00 Irrational Games
3:00 Game Development Secrets
6:30 PAX 10 Panel
6:30 You call that fun?!
7:00 Square Enix presents
8:30 Saturday Night concerts
9:00 Creating a Xanatos Gambit
10:30 Escapist Movie Night

Sunday:
10:30 Testers vs. The Game
12:00 X-Play Live!
1:30 Pitch Your Game Idea
2:00 Kids, Video Games and Psychiatry
2:30 Customer Support in Games
2:30 Insider Insight
3:00 Inside Gearbox Software
3:00 The Sorting Workshop
3:30 Life of a Freelance Game Journo
5:30 Omegathon Final Round
5:30 Writer's Round Table

Booths I want to see/schedule:
ALL OF THEM
I make several circuits of the expo hall every day. Sniffing out Gameplay vs. Swag rewards vs. line time

Here is a fb link to a list of parties: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254263691262980/doc/254267884595894/

Parties I want to go to there:
aka conflicts ahoy!
Friday:
Machinima SQUARE Enix Party 7-10pm
Fangamer PAX Afterparty 8pm

Saturday:
Skyrim Foodtruck/GamesRadar Meetup 11:30am-3pm
Sega PAXtravaganza at Gameworks 6pm-Midnight

I hope this is my last edit: If you're going to be collecting swag, look out for good, big bags like the Uncharted 3/Starhawk bags Sony has this year (hopefully they're as big as the R2/LBP bags from 2 years? ago). You want something that is quick to open, easily accessible and can hold a good deal of stuff. Serious about posters? bring your own tube.

[quote name='metaly']At some point I need to connect with someone for DQ9 so I can get the multiplayer only item. I can share some maps, too, if anyone's still playing that. :)[/QUOTE]
Check this: DQIX Map-stravaganza!

The guy posting there as "Wizard" was a regular at the NYC meetups, has every map you could ever want, over 1000 tags, etc. Very nice guy.

There were 15 or so people at the DQIX meetup I got to at East 2011, so you shouldn't have much of a problem finding people.

[quote name='zenprime']Saturday:
Skyrim Foodtruck/GamesRadar Meetup 11:30am-3pm
Sega PAXtravaganza at Gameworks 6pm-Midnight

I hope this is my last edit: If you're going to be collecting swag, look out for good, big bags like the Uncharted 3/Starhawk bags Sony has this year (hopefully they're as big as the R2/LBP bags from 2 years? ago). You want something that is quick to open, easily accessible and can hold a good deal of stuff. Serious about posters? bring your own tube.[/QUOTE]

Food truck hmmmm??? I suppose I could patronize a Bethesda event for that. A Gameworks meetup would be awesome but I'm booked all Saturday evening if things go well. :whistle2:|

The poster tube is a great tip.

[quote name='pete5883']Check this: DQIX Map-stravaganza!

The guy posting there as "Wizard" was a regular at the NYC meetups, has every map you could ever want, over 1000 tags, etc. Very nice guy.

There were 15 or so people at the DQIX meetup I got to at East 2011, so you shouldn't have much of a problem finding people.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm getting in a little late for their meetup but I'll try to track down this Wizard guy.

[quote name='B:L']The best list I could find was

http://www.destructoid.com/these-are-the-games-that-will-be-at-pax-prime-2011-209309.phtml[/QUOTE]

Oh god my "games to see" list just tripled.

So Gameworks Saturday afternoon for a meetup? If that doesnt work what about a breakfast meetup on sat?

Im pretty flexible fri/sat

I may stay late fri/sat and try to catch the parties.

Sega PAXtravaganza at Gameworks 6pm-Midnight....very interested.

Im intrigued by the foodtruck, I'd say count me in

[quote name='B:L']The best list I could find was

http://www.destructoid.com/these-are-the-games-that-will-be-at-pax-prime-2011-209309.phtml[/QUOTE]
Thanks, and god damn that's a lot. Sly and the Kirbies are instant must-sees for me.

[quote name='kube00']So Gameworks Saturday afternoon for a meetup? If that doesnt work what about a breakfast meetup on sat?[/QUOTE]
I can do either one. Is Gameworks close by?

Not sure about the Sega thing myself, but I do love my Sega, so I'll keep it in mind.

Also, this isn't meetup related, but has anyone got restaurant/deli/etc. suggestions? Especially for breakfast and dinner.

[quote name='Traitorious']Heading to my first PAX next week! So excited! I was hoping to meet the man behind the TE sticks though :( Sad to hear you won't be there MarkMan. I'll still stop by the MadCatz booth anyway :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Make sure you stop by, we'll have a lot of cool stuff and you can play 3 games that aren't released yet!

Just got back from a walk around the area. There's a decent grocery store on Third Ave. called Kress IGA if you want to stock up on reasonably priced snacks, water, etc. - http://www.kressiga.com/location

Chatted with metaly on AIM earlier and he's thinking an 11:30 meetup on Saturday at the food truck. Might be a little late to that one myself, since there's a panel I would like to go to that ends at 11:30. I'm still open to alternatives, but otherwise this sounds fine to me.

I was just throwing out 11:30 since that's when it starts and we hadn't mentioned any times yet. Since it turns out it goes for a while, I could definitely plan on later.

I was thinking of trying to show up for the last couple hours of the Gameworks thing after Weekend Confirmed, but since it sounds like you have to line up pretty early, I'm crossing that off. Sooo... maybe I'll catch the Saturday concert?

Wow I am beat, and I didnt even make it to the expo hall. I'll probably do that in Tge morning, then head to the food truck thing around 12:30-1. Then Omegathon!

[quote name='metaly']Sooo... maybe I'll catch the Saturday concert?[/QUOTE]
Paul and Storm and Jonathan Coulton are a lot of fun live. Prepare to wave your lit handheld in the air for "Still Alive" :D

Back from the Friday concert, which was great! Glad I finally got to see the Minibosses live, and it was great to see the VGO in concert again, even though the number of members present this time around was smaller. Exhausted, so heading to bed soon. Going to try and make it to the food truck tomorrow, but I've got a feeling it will be MOBBED.

Other stuff I saw today:

Panels -
- What They're Saying About You
- Omegathon Round 1 (it was nuts and highly entertaining, as Mario Kart often is)
- Retrogame Roadshow

Games -
- Pokedex 3D
- Kirby's Return to Dream Land (w/four-player co-op o_O)
- Kirby Mass Attack (definitely one to keep an eye on)
- watched others play a bunch of stuff in the expo hall

Tomorrow's plan is mainly another mix of expo hall and panels, but no concert :p

Good to meet Metaly and see TRW/Zen again.

I had a blast at PAX I should have gotten a hotel and stayed out later...next year I"ll have to see some panels

Home and exhausted. Had an awesome time. Also, I never would've expected The Legend of Zelda as a final Omegathon game.

[quote name='kube00']Good to meet Metaly and see TRW/Zen again.

I had a blast at PAX I should have gotten a hotel and stayed out later...next year I"ll have to see some panels[/QUOTE]
You should've joined us for dinner yesterday! Maybe next year, then?

As for me, good to meet those guys for the first time.

[quote name='blueshinra']You should've joined us for dinner yesterday![/QUOTE]

It was a good dinner. Topics ranged from how many corpses you can fit in a car trunk, to cooking.

(No, not cooking the corpses. That would be gross! Jeez.)

Was good to meet some CAGs other than the one I am married to. Not sure if I fit in here too well though -- blueshinra is the CAG in our household, I am actually semi likely to spend money for convenience :oops: But only to an extent.

[quote name='blueshinra']You have a smaller backlog than me, though. Funny how that works :lol:

Blog post with swag pic (photos and impressions from the show itself forthcoming): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=22356[/QUOTE]

Hope you don't mind if I pop in here and give my impressions of the show as well.

I've been to 5 PAX's now, 3 as a demonstrator for the company I was at before Amazon, this one as an Amazon representative, and the first PAX East as a rip roarin' fan.

I can honestly say that this was the most enjoyable PAX I've had. I got to play some really awesome titles, so without further ado, here's what I got to play and loved:

Torchlight 2 looks amazing, I got to play an Embermage running around with a couple of crazy berzerkers. 4 dogs, all morphed, running across the screen was phenomenal! Imagine how much fun the first Torchlight would have been, sitting next to your buddies in a LAN party or Vent chat. This game is about 10,000 times cooler and more fun than you probably imagined.

Click here to check it out.

All Zombies Must Die was a blast, did anyone here play Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis? If so you can't help but remember the "clear the zombies from the warehouse" missions. This game is like a well fleshed out version of that small, but awesome part of Shadowrun. The artstyle is fun and quirky, the mechanics are solid, and the weapons...oh the weapons look like a ton of fun.

Check it out here.

The team from Paradox hosted a launch party for their new 4x/RTS hybrid Sword of the Stars 2. For someone like me who played the original Master of Orion for hours and hours on end this game is pretty sweet. I'll be sending a copy to my brother so we can play together and hoping it doesn't end his marriage. The game combines Empire Building with an engaging but challenging combat system to create an extremely deep and rich experience. Listening to the fans in attendance made it clear that the Lore from the first game was strong enough to support a solid gameplay experience from start to finish.

Check it out here.

Finally, tucked away near the Cafe in the main expo hall was Novus Aeterno by Taitale Studios. The build of this game I got to play is shaping up to provide a persistent, truly Massively RTS experience. The game mechanics are smooth and polished, the music and art style is beautiful, and most importantly...it looks FUN.

The most phenomenal part of this game is found off screen though. The team that this group has assembled is nothing short of remarkable. If any of the people reading this have ever thought/dreamed about working in the video game industry with your best friends you should check this game out simply because these guys are doing it.

They've assembled a completely international team that includes a musician and artist that are focused on gaming as an art form, an extremely savvy businessman, a former MAJOR GENERAL, and are lead, I kid you not, by a 19 year old gamer.

This game is going to be awesome, and like I said, you should all at least check it out.

Add them on Facebook here.
Check it out here.

To the other people who were at PAX, what did you see that you loved? Does anyone have any questions about other stuff I played that you'd like to hear about?

Let me know!

Cheers,
Tony

bread's done
Back