PS3 New MSRP: $249.99 - $299.99 - $349.99

crzyboy88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24385[/IMG-R]Effective immediately, PS3 consoles receive a $50 price drop (and a new Infamous 2 bundle).

:ps3: PS3 160 GB $249.99
:ps3: PS3 320 GB $299.99
:ps3: PS3 320GB inFamous 2 Bundle $299.99
:ps3: PS3 320 GB Move Bundle $349.99

Sony has just announced a global price drop to $249.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/16/ps3-price-cut-to-250/

Well, this is certainly surprising. Sony closed out its Gamescom 2011 keynote with the startling announcement that the PlayStation 3 (assumedly the standard, 160GB model) has had its price cut across the globe: It's now $249.99 in the U.S., €249.99 in Europe and ¥24,980 in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've been waiting for the PlayStation 3 to get even cheaper, your ship has come in. Today at Gamescom, Sony announced that the PS3 will now retail for $249.99, 249.99 Euros and 24,980 Yen. This is effective immediately. Previously, the PS3 sold for $299.99.
- IGN

And According to the Playstation Blog...(thanks to Wario64 for pointing this out)
Today, I believe that value becomes even more evident. I’m excited to share with you that effective immediately at retailers throughout North America, the 160 GB PS3 and the 320GB PS3 are now available for $249 and $299, respectively. In addition, a limited edition inFAMOUS 2 bundle is now available at participating retailers across North America. The bundle retails for $299 and includes a 320 GB PlayStation 3, a copy of inFAMOUS 2 and a 30-day membership to PlayStation Plus.
There you have it folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great. When I move next month, I'll have my 24" Samsung LCD on my desk in my bedroom and my 42" Insignia Plasma in my living room. I hate moving my console all the time, so if I can find one for $200 around black friday, I'll pick up a second. I only play ps3 anymore, so I could justify two.

[quote name='technicalstylez']amazon says 299.99 (and i was just in frys and it was 299.99 there) so i dont believe you...yet. :D[/QUOTE]

this was literally just announced...

sarcasm/troll fail?

^having 2 is pretty convenient, especially since it doubles as a bluray player. i have a 60gb phat but picked up a 320gb move bundle (as a backup) from amz warehouse deals in feb and couldn't be happier.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Now all i need is a store to offer a 50 dollar gift card for buying the 250 dollar ps3. Too much of a cheap ass?[/QUOTE]

last xmas walmart had a $100 gift card for the 299 ps3 so your request isnt that farfetched.

IF this is true, how will this effect PS Vita? If I were in the store and didn't own either I would look at both being the exact same price and go, now why would I buy a handheld for the same price as a full PS3? That being said as a current PS3 owner since the 60 gig model, I personally am still picking up a PS Vita on launch day.

[quote name='Trojann']Tempting, I'll wait till Black Friday for a smaller price drop or game bundles[/QUOTE]

There wont be a price drop on black friday when the price was just droped 3 months prior. Now i can see a buy a ps3 get 2 gh title games free type deal happening

[quote name='Mattx510']IF this is true, how will this effect PS Vita? If I were in the store and didn't own either I would look at both being the exact same price and go, now why would I buy a handheld for the same price as a full PS3? That being said as a current PS3 owner since the 60 gig model, I personally am still picking up a PS Vita on launch day.[/QUOTE]

That strategy worked fine with the Wii and DS so I don't see it being an issue for the Vita.

[quote name='Mattx510']IF this is true, how will this effect PS Vita? If I were in the store and didn't own either I would look at both being the exact same price and go, now why would I buy a handheld for the same price as a full PS3? That being said as a current PS3 owner since the 60 gig model, I personally am still picking up a PS Vita on launch day.[/QUOTE]

They're not comparable at all. I mean, the DS and the Wii have been nearly the same price for quite some time now. It's not usually and "either/or" scenario as they have very different purposes.

Anyway, not really a surprise here. Probably better for the PS3 forum

Isn't there supposed to be a Resistance 3 PS3 bundle coming in 3 weeks when the game launches? If so, will that be the new $249.99 as well? I want to buy a PS3 today but if I can wait 3 more weeks and get a free game with it then I will.

[quote name='mitch079']That strategy worked fine with the Wii and DS so I don't see it being an issue for the Vita.[/QUOTE]

The DS was half the price of the Wii when the Wii launched. Nintendo's current handheld was always cheaper than its current console, until the 3DS launch... and how did THAT turn out?

Now I'd be interested to find out if there are any retailers who were unaware of this drop and went ahead and programmed a $50GC offer into their computer/weekly ad in the upcoming weeks.

[quote name='technicalstylez']^having 2 is pretty convenient, especially since it doubles as a bluray player. i have a 60gb phat but picked up a 320gb move bundle (as a backup) from amz warehouse deals in feb and couldn't be happier.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have a 250GB slim model and I just bought an 80GB 4USB BC model from CL for $100 for that very reason. Couldn't be happier especially with the fact that the dude left me about $80 in DLC to download for free from his history. Now all I need is a second TV to put it on and I'll be set.

[quote name='mkelehan']The DS was half the price of the Wii when the Wii launched. Nintendo's current handheld was always cheaper than its current console, until the 3DS launch... and how did THAT turn out?[/QUOTE]

Considering the features that the vita has out of the box i think it will be fine. Its acually worth the 250 unlike the 3ds

I wanted to get a Vita on Launch day, but waiting is a great option too. I'm sure they may come out with a special edition, or a Bundle, etc. I think it might be time to get a slm and put the 60gb in the living room, or vice versa. Oh, and since with PS PLus you can save to the cloud, it'll be easier going between two machines.

This isnt surprising, it was announced months ago that come August Sony would be announcing a price drop. Good news though for people who still want to pick one up for some reason.

[quote name='mkelehan']. Nintendo's current handheld was always cheaper than its current console, until the 3DS launch... and how did THAT turn out?[/QUOTE]

Are you somehow implying that the fact that the 3DS was more expensive than the Wii is why it sold poorly? If so, that's some retarded logic you got there.

The fact is, very very few people are going "hmm I think I'll get a PS3 instead of a Vita and vice-versa". Completely different products

[quote name='ssjmichael']Are you somehow implying that the fact that the 3DS was more expensive than the Wii is why it sold poorly? If so, that's some retarded logic you got there.

The fact is, very very few people are going "hmm I think I'll get a PS3 instead of a Vita and vice-versa". Completely different products[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am. If someone has neither, and they can get a full console or a handheld at the same price, the handheld will lose. If someone cares enough about games to buy hardware just for it, they almost certainly own a television. If they just want to play a game or two on the go, they'll use their phone.

The fact that the 3DS was $50 more expensive than a Wii or a 360 was poison for it.

[quote name='technicalstylez']^having 2 is pretty convenient, especially since it doubles as a bluray player.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the PS3 only uses 5 times the electricity of a stand-alone bluray player. You should buy one for every room of the house!

[quote name='musha666']This isnt surprising, it was announced months ago that come August Sony would be announcing a price drop. Good news though for people who still want to pick one up for some reason.[/QUOTE]

wonder if microsoft will reduce the 4gb xbox 360 slim to $150, or better yet $100 like they did with the arcade console.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Over/under how Many posts saying they hate Sony for the price drop like the 3ds threads ? Lol[/QUOTE]

Outrageous! I paid $500 5 years ago. They better give me 20 free games!

[quote name='mgorsi']wow 3 threads already? come on look before making a new thread[/QUOTE]

My thread is about the 320 GB model, which is a $100 price drop and includes Infamous 2 and PS+. Different than these other threads.

[quote name='Silverspud']Mine just died last night. That's some freaky timing.[/QUOTE]

Ooooooh! Let the conspiracy theories begin! I bet Sony sent out a kill command to 17% of the PS3s that are out of warranty.

[quote name='mkelehan']Yes, I am. If someone has neither, and they can get a full console or a handheld at the same price, the handheld will lose. If someone cares enough about games to buy hardware just for it, they almost certainly own a television. If they just want to play a game or two on the go, they'll use their phone.

The fact that the 3DS was $50 more expensive than a Wii or a 360 was poison for it.[/QUOTE]

You really have no clue then.

bread's done
Back