- - - - -

Wii Redesign Inbound (Not coming to NA?)

#31 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3632 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

As soon as a company says something is not going to happen then it means its going to happen. I expect this system to be announced for the US by the holidays. Its an obvious push to get people to buy this before the Wii U comes out, by which time this console will be totally useless since Wii U is backwards compatible. I don't know why anyone would buy a downgraded system though unless the price was cut to like $50.

was thinking the same thing. they should have kept it backwards compatible

#32 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5411 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Off topic but a gamecube is worth keeping around for the Gameboy Player, which I have, and its why I still have my Gamecube.

You can get a Wii for like $134 from Walmart or various other deals, not sure why anyone would buy one with less features, can probably get a used one cheaper too, and I doubt Nintendo plans on selling this new Wii for $50.

#33 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3632 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Off topic but a gamecube is worth keeping around for the Gameboy Player, which I have, and its why I still have my Gamecube.

You can get a Wii for like $134 from Walmart or various other deals, not sure why anyone would buy one with less features, can probably get a used one cheaper too, and I doubt Nintendo plans on selling this new Wii for $50.

What games that uses the gameboy player?
I have zelda 4 swords and cant think of anything else

#34 Drclaw411   I miss Cartoon Orbit CAGiversary!   3271 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

What games that uses the gameboy player?
I have zelda 4 swords and cant think of anything else

all gameboy advance games work with the gameboy player
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#35 pitfallharry219   Getting snizz on the reg. CAGiversary!   15580 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

pitfallharry219

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:56 PM

Uh... WarioWare: Twisted and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy don't work so well.

#36 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5411 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:19 AM

Its cool to play gameboy advance games on a TV, that is why.

#37 stinkycat   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   14 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

stinkycat

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

US is second tier now. This sucks.

Maybe we need to stop paying our money to defend Japan from N. Korea. I can't see the French doing this, yet Nintendo treats them better.
If they are going to dis the US, they shouldn't be taking our money.

#38 cochesecochese   corrompido e imoral CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

cochesecochese

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

No, because they've already said that Wii accessories (controllers) will be a main part of Wii U games, so they have to stay pretty much.

Also, Wii games are regular size unlike Gamecube games, which is a big cost component for the Wii.

This is exactly it. We don't know for certain without a teardown of the Wii U however it is likely that the components necessary to make the Wii remotes and Wii software work with the Wii U are negligible.

GCN components like the controller/memory card slots and the disc loading mechanism cost a fair bit of money to make and they add a bit extra in shipping weight.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#39 KingBroly   CAG Club Nintendo CAGiversary!   15248 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

KingBroly

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

As soon as a company says something is not going to happen then it means its going to happen. I expect this system to be announced for the US by the holidays. Its an obvious push to get people to buy this before the Wii U comes out, by which time this console will be totally useless since Wii U is backwards compatible. I don't know why anyone would buy a downgraded system though unless the price was cut to like $50.

So Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower are coming Stateside?
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#40 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3632 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

So Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower are coming Stateside?

Nintendo said there were no plans.

#41 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4062 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

You can get one of those attachments so that you can play the GBA machine and games directly on your TV without a GC/GB Player.

Spoiler

P.S. It's for trade (or sale)... if someone is interested just PM your trade list (or cash offer).

#42 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5163 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

^How does that thing work with video, audio I can understand comes from the headphone jack. The link cable port transfers video?

Yeah, about the Wii Sports just repeated what I heard on another thread here, about being just tech demo.

I would rather like to see Wii Sports bundled with some other Wii title or as a limited time offer for free from Nintendo with purchase of a Wii that doesn't come with Wii Sports. Maybe a double pack at the Nintendo Select price with Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, or Wii Music.

#43 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2409 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

I don't really see why anyone would want this, it loses features, just to be smaller and more cost-effective for Nintendo. Consumer loses again?

It will probably eventually be tied in with a price drop and offered as a cheaper alternative to the WiiU. I see this as mildly good news for the Wii in general, because it is a sign that it will be kept around a while after the WiiU comes out, which seems to be a change in policy for Nintendo. Whether that is a good business move is a separate thing.

Personally, I think removal of GC support is appropriate at this point, since the market for GC games is really getting thin. For those who do want to compatibility, there are plenty of Wiis on the secondary market at this point.
Posted Image

#44 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4062 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

^How does that thing work with video, audio I can understand comes from the headphone jack. The link cable port transfers video?

It's been awhile since I did it, but basically you're replacing the bottom half of the GBA casing with this... you plug the video feed off of the screen into this device. It fits really nice and snug back together, and has a good feel to it.

#45 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5411 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Nintendo said there were no plans.

Nintendo said there were no plans but that they are watching sales in europe, if the sales in europe are good then there is a small chance these will come stateside. Even though everyone says they will buy the game at launch for full price how many will actually do that?

Though I suspect that those who really want to play these games will be playing them anyways ahem ahem..

#46 KingBroly   CAG Club Nintendo CAGiversary!   15248 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

KingBroly

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:15 AM

But the sales of Xenoblade Chronicles are in part due to a lot of people modding their system and importing the game. If and when it comes out here, I expect the game to tank because people already bought it. Throwing a blind eye to the truth of the situation isn't going to help NoA's cause.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#47 johnnypark   Farewell My Viking! CAGiversary!   3391 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

I wonder if the redesign, in addition to saving money, is to make it harder to hack. If so it's a little late in the system's lifespan, but Sony certainly tried that with each iteration of the PSP.

And yeah, Broly, I completely agree - Xenoblade sales are at least in part due to importers after it got so much buzz online. Those who aren't willing to spend the $70-80 to import will play it illegally (though it's arguable that pirates would buy it anyway), and there's no way it'll sell what it could have with simultaneous/proper NA release.

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#48 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5163 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:17 AM

Given that I have a backlog of games to be played and not much money to spare on a console at this time. Let's see my options on a new Wii console:

1. Wait and see how this new Wii redesign turns out in Europe, if successful it will be released in the U.S. region.

2. Wait for the Wii U or at the latest for a Wii U redesign/price drop.

3. Buy a Mario Kart Wii bundle for $130-$150 with a possible gift card deal in the future.

I guess I could go to a friend's house with the old version of the Wii to transfer Fire Emblem's Gamecube data to the Wii version. Save the updated Wii data to a memory card and transfer it to my future Wii redesign/Wii U that may not/doesn't have Gamecube memory slots.

Edit: I don't know if I mentioned this already in this thread, but I already have a Gamecube with a Gameboy Player attached. So unless there's some other Wii games that use the Gamecube part like Fire Emblem, I don't really need the backwards compatibility.

Edited by anotherpoorgamer, 30 August 2011 - 03:32 AM.

#49 cochesecochese   corrompido e imoral CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

cochesecochese

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

But the sales of Xenoblade Chronicles are in part due to a lot of people modding their system and importing the game. If and when it comes out here, I expect the game to tank because people already bought it. Throwing a blind eye to the truth of the situation isn't going to help NoA's cause.

It's not coming to NA. Ever.

That was just lipservice from Reggie. Par for the course, etc.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#50 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21688 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

This thing is pretty bizarre if you ask me. If it comes in at under $100, then I guess it makes some kind of sense. If our Wii breaks, though, I'll pick up a standard one, not this thing.

#51 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3632 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

This thing is pretty bizarre if you ask me. If it comes in at under $100, then I guess it makes some kind of sense. If our Wii breaks, though, I'll pick up a standard one, not this thing.

same here. I want to be able to also play my gamecube games too.

What part of MD u in?